Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With only a handful of games left in the season, I wanted to put some thoughts together about the four players the team picked up essentially for nothing - no draft picks, no trades. The team has found tremendous value with cast-offs before - Gary Neal, signing Patty Mills out of China, Bruce Bowen, and perhaps most famously bringing Danny Green back for another chance.

I know we're all focused on the draft, but at least a couple of these players will factor in the team next year.

Sandro Mamukelashvili - How much time he gets next year may depend on his defense. He's not an instinctive defender, her lacks quick reactions on the perimeter, the size to bang with the biggest down low, and is not a shotblocking threat. That said, he's not (to me) a Branham-level bad defender, and even Branham is improving. Sandro busts his butt, at least. On offense, of course, he absolutely shines. Already fits into the schemes, can potentially be a great shooter, and is a phenomenal passer. If he improves his screening and positional defense, this is a rotational player. I think he's rotational regardless. A Milwaukee cast-off to round out their playoff roster.

Charles Bassey - Unfortunate that injury took away these last games from him. He could have really used them. A bit undersized for what you want at his position, he plays with strength, will bang around, has great hands and good instincts to pick up defensive boards, great weakside shot blockers. He may still have aspects of the game to learn, but a summer will help. Shows signs of a nice jump shot from range. I think he's at least a solid second unit big with a good amount of room left to grow. A Philadelphia cast-off in favor of Montrezl Harrell.

Dominick Barlow - He seems like a talented, hard-working pick-up basketball guy who has never had good team instruction, but I often like the flashes he shows. The overall schema he still lags, and this may be his undoing - at least as a Spur - as I fear he may be drafted over at some point. But he's also a hard worker, doesn't get dismayed, and shows instincts for rundown blocks, a nose for rebounding, and so on. Apparently he requested teams not draft him in the 2nd round and wanted to go to the Spurs. It'll help him in the end. He's still only nineteen.

Julian Champagnie - Unlike many of our deep bench guys, I find myself intrigued by Champagnie. He uses his length well, his mobile, isn't just a deep-range shooter. He does look stiff and finished product isn't always there at times, but there really is something here, especially at a position of need. As likely to drop off the roster at this point, but even after three good years at St. John's, he's only turning 22 this summer. Does he get enough time to piece together the offensive threat while enhancing his defense, which was strong in college. Another Philadelphia cast-off.

Anyway, I feel like we will see a lot of Mamu and Bassey in the next season(s). Not sure about Barlow and Champagnie, but they do look like good bets to take. I think all four of them were great salvages for no cost whatsoever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Mamu and am intrigued by champagnie (seems like Roby who is more assertive). Bassey needs consistency but is still young. I’m less bullish on Barlow though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Mamu and am intrigued by champagnie (seems like Roby who is more assertive). Bassey needs consistency but is still young. I’m less bullish on Barlow though.
    Yeah, I think Barlow will have to move on eventually, maybe even this year. I do think if he sticks with it, he will have a career somewhere. There are tools here. I can only imagine if he played for an actual program instead of OTE last year.

Champagnie is much more interesting than I thought and I remembered him being good in college. Last night when he banged two threes in a row, Pop went out of his way to congratulate and pump him up.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thread.

Barlow feels like a long shot but he’s still learning so let’s see where it goes.

Champagnie was really solid in college. He’s like a 12th man but great shooter and isn’t afraid of the moment. Good scoring instincts.

If Mamu could make defensive progress like Bonner did over the years I’ll be thrilled. He’s a complementary player but I’d actually like to see him run the pick and roll now and then. Crazy idea but I think Pop should push him into more situations and see how he does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. Mamu and Champagnie look like inexpensive additions/upgrades to next years team. Bassey as well. Barlow needs to show a little bit more if he wants to remain on the team, after all we will have 2 more 2nd round picks for compe ion for the two way slots and possibly the 14th and 15 slots as well. Next year will definitely be more interesting than this year with several spots up for grabs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m really curious as to Bassey’s injury timetable. Hopefully he is back in time to participate in off-season activity. A full off-season in the Spurs program will do wonders for him, IMO. He was basically just playing on instinct this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might be wrong but Mamu seems to be the only one who could be given a clear chance next year in a team that will hopefully be more compe ive, with Bassey not far.... Not sure about Barlow and champagnie. They showed interesting things in a tanking spurs team, but I'm not sure that they would be that usefull in the more limited time that they'd necessarily get with Sochan, Bassey, and eventually Wemby or some signed vets eating most of the minutes... As 15th guys maybe (that they are anyway).

you'll like Barlow doing blue collar stuff just before he'll seem a bit lost on defense. Champagnie indeed has shown flashes but still look really raw at times.
    Last edited by JPB; 04-01-2023 at 03:21 PM.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None of the four will be on the team in three years. Spurs have first round picks incoming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None of the four will be on the team in three years. Spurs have first round picks incoming.
    Sandro and Charles stand a good chance.

More to the point, lol, why the you here, bro? Go to sleep and come back in three years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bassey is already a rotational caliber backup. Relative lack of athleticism and size for archetype probably caps his ceiling at high end backup, but he appears well on his way.

As I said when Mamukelashvili was claimed, if he combines high % with volume from 3, it'll amp up his off the dribble/play making ability to the point that the offensive skillset probably outweighs the lack of a true defensive position enough to turn him into a full time player.

Barlow (five skillset in the body of a four) is incidentally the ideal archetype to slot alongside him, but while length, mobility and youth are nice, the lack of anything resembling a bankable skill seems likely to be his undoing.

Champagnie has a clearer path to being a full time NBA player than the previous two, with good positional size and a quality 3. He mainly needs to shoot it like he appears capable of over a large enough sample size.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To give up on barlow this soon is crazy! In two or three years this kid ( if not sooner ) will be a solid chess piece. He is costing you nothing…..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bassey will obviously be here the next three or so years. Mamu is a fan favorite and seemingly coach’s favorite. Those two we can bank on being here for some time whilst the other two will probably be replaced by the next “promising young undrafted talent” that we sift through every year until they find a diamond.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spurs will trade McD for some picks, and Champagnie will be his replacement. The Utah game where he was just sending them, and Pop congratulating him, I think he has a great shot at a roster spot. I thought he would just be a volume shooter, but he's shown the ability to rebound, block and hustle, a very pleasant surprise.

I think KBD gets a better offer and Spurs will let him walk. Enters Barlow. He is still very raw, but shows a lot of promise. He's a great help defender with his athleticism and quick feet. Regardless who Spurs pick. They will still be rebuilding next year and allows more time for Barlow to show what he can do.

Bassey is already under contract. Mamu is already a sure lock.
    Last edited by John B; 04-02-2023 at 09:07 AM.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sandro and Charles stand a good chance.

More to the point, lol, why the you here, bro? Go to sleep and come back in three years.

Unless something weird happens Mamu will be, he works on defense, can shoot, can handle is smart and seems like a good guy. You don't get rid of a useful bench big that is a fan favorite and cheap, you sign them for a team friendly contract. Say 3 years at 250k over whatever his cba minimum is with performance bonuses. Cheap to sign cheap to keep, Nice to have around, will get a training camp and full season next year and with that you really know what you have weather you got your second bench big cheap as or a garbage time guy. Next year you're a play in team... Then he matters and he has very good offensive instincts. I don't expect him to be a game changer just a solid backup big.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spurs will trade McD for some picks
    Some picks? That ship has sailed. Teams have realized that 3-noD guys aren't a thing for serious teams anymore. Not for anything more than a vet minimum.
    Unless someone like McDermott is scorching hot and is hitting everything, his disgraceful defense makes him a net negative.

We could maybe get a second rounder and a reclamation project unwanted by a playoff team, but there's no chance to get a first rounder for just McDermott.
    Noone was willing to offer it this deadline and noone will offer it the next season.

Bassey obviously signed a longer deal and Mamu has shown a lot in such short period. They'll surely be on the roster, other spots are up for grabs. Spurs will get some more reclamation projects this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To give up on barlow this soon is crazy! In two or three years this kid ( if not sooner ) will be a solid chess piece. He is costing you nothing…..
    Wow, we agree... so you know there HAS to be some truth to it. The guy is as young as any of the other rookies, and is coming off a less favorable path. I think he deserves at least an extra year or two before we give up on him. He's only a roster spot... opportunity cost is low, I say keep him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some picks? That ship has sailed. Teams have realized that 3-noD guys aren't a thing for serious teams anymore. Not for anything more than a vet minimum.
    Unless someone like McDermott is scorching hot and is hitting everything, his disgraceful defense makes him a net negative.

We could maybe get a second rounder and a reclamation project unwanted by a playoff team, but there's no chance to get a first rounder for just McDermott.
    Noone was willing to offer it this deadline and noone will offer it the next season.

Bassey obviously signed a longer deal and Mamu has shown a lot in such short period. They'll surely be on the roster, other spots are up for grabs. Spurs will get some more reclamation projects this summer.
    Doug McBuckets has expiring contract and can easily get hot. I think you’ll be surprised what he’ll fetch come trade deadline. Anyways, my point is Champagnie could be his replacement if he proves a reliable shooter, plus his defensive upsides better than McD.

Who I don’t understand is Graham. I don’t like his Van Exel style of shooting outside of play, worst Spurs have him for another 2 years at ridiculous 12mil/year. Disgusting.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, we agree... so you know there HAS to be some truth to it. The guy is as young as any of the other rookies, and is coming off a less favorable path. I think he deserves at least an extra year or two before we give up on him. He's only a roster spot... opportunity cost is low, I say keep him.
    Someone has to go to make room for new players. This current team is going no where.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spurs will trade McD for some picks, and Champagnie will be his replacement. The Utah game where he was just sending them, and Pop congratulating him, I think he has a great shot at a roster spot. I thought he would just be a volume shooter, but he's shown the ability to rebound, block and hustle, a very pleasant surprise.

I think KBD gets a better offer and Spurs will let him walk. Enters Barlow. He is still very raw, but shows a lot of promise. He's a great help defender with his athleticism and quick feet. Regardless who Spurs pick. They will still be rebuilding next year and allows more time for Barlow to show what he can do.

Bassey is already under contract. Mamu is already a sure lock.
    I tend to see Champagnie in the Bates-Diop mold and view McBuckets as a different archetype, but that may be cutting it fine. Hard to get a read on KBD - he seems like a Spurs lifer - and then Dougie stays only if he wants to. My gut is that the team wants him here for instruction and to give scoring bursts. His movement is something helpful to teach.

Anyway, I started the thread less about the 'big two' of this bunch. I think Mamu and Chuck are pretty much locks as rotation guys next year. They have a lot of promise. Barlow is a guy I root for and think they'll continue working with him. His at ude seems terrific and he seems receptive.

It's Champagnie who is my surprise. He feels different than a 15th man. More confidence than an Austin Daye. More tools than basically any of the two-ways we've tried out. Not saying he's a sure thing, but there's a real player here, I feel. He's not just a shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, it's kind of funny watching Barlow and Champagnie on the court together. They look almost exactly the same in hair and build, with Barlow a little bit bigger. At times it's hard to pick out which is which.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone has to go to make room for new players. This current team is going no where.
    We also have plenty of guys who are nearing their last days/months (KBD, Dieng, Birch) on the team, and others whose contract ends soon and aren't a lock to stay on the team (Zach Collins, McDermott). Barlow is beyond 15 on this roster, doesn't keep anyone from playing and doesn't have demands, he just keeps working and taking whatever opportunities come his way. So, provided we don't sign a few better prospects at his spots, I'd be disappointed if he doesn't get at least one more year of development to show what he can grow into. Otherwise we may end up regretting it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, it's kind of funny watching Barlow and Champagnie on the court together. They look almost exactly the same in hair and build, with Barlow a little bit bigger. At times it's hard to pick out which is which.
    Barlow to me is a help defense, a shot blocker, someone who can defend a mobile 4. Champagnie is a volume shooter ala McD but with better defense. Actually I like all of them, cheap and still has plenty to show. It’s Graham who I don’t like and to me just taking minutes from Blake, Branham at ridiculous 12mil/year x2 years, and is 28 yrs old. I never like the Van Exel-no care type, just shooting outside of play style. Maybe during championship years, he’s an easy 8-10 pts. But not in a rebuilding team. I don’t get Devonte. Hopefully Spurs can get something for him in 2 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barlow to me is a help defense, a shot blocker, someone who can defend a mobile 4. Champagnie is a volume shooter ala McD but with better defense. Actually I like all of them, cheap and still has plenty to show. It’s Graham who I don’t like and to me just taking minutes from Blake, Branham at ridiculous 12mil/year x2 years, and is 28 yrs old. I never like the Van Exel-no care type, just shooting outside of play style. Maybe during championship years, he’s an easy 8-10 pts. But not in a rebuilding team. I don’t get Devonte. Hopefully Spurs can get something for him in 2 years.
    Graham only has 2.85M guaranteed beyond next season, he's almost an expiring. Most likely him and McDermott get shipped out by next trade deadline at most.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Revisiting after a stellar game by Barlow and Champagnie versus the Kings.

Barlow has great timing - had a play where he turned around and got a block near the rim that was called a foul (don't think it was). He has snap instincts that are plusses. He hit a couple mid-range Js.

Champagnie went off in the second quarter. Second half, Kings were blanketing him, but this gave other players more room. Imagine having to blanket a two-way player. His help defense and rotations were good, although he sometimes leaves a play after making a good rotation. Needs to keep going. He bangs and goes for rebounds. Love his confidence.

Thread Information