Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sixers dismiss coach Tom Rivers
    Coc Rivers had coached the team since the 2020-21 season and won 154 games in that span.

The Philadelphia 76ers fired coach Tom Rivers on Tuesday following a third straight exit in the second round of the playoffs, the team announced on Tuesday.

Rivers led the 76ers to their second straight 50-win season behind NBA MVP Joel Embiid but again failed to lead them to the Eastern Conference Finals.

“Coc is one of the most successful coaches in NBA history, a future Hall of Famer, and someone I respect immensely,” President of Basketball Operations Daryl Morey said. “We’re grateful for all he did in his three seasons here and thank him for the important impact he made on our franchise. After having the chance to reflect upon our season, we decided that certain changes are necessary to further our goals of competing for a championship.”

The 76ers held a 3-2 semifinals series lead against Boston before dropping Game 6 at home and were crushed in Game 7 on the road.

Rivers fell to 6-10 in Game 7s. The 10 defeats are five more than any other NBA coach.

Rivers and the 76ers also lost a decisive Game 7 at home in the second round to Atlanta in 2021 as a No. 1 seed. Embiid endorsed Rivers’ return following Sunday’s loss but James Harden was noncommittal about wanting Rivers back.

Rivers had two years left on his contract and was 236-154 in three years with the Sixers. He won the 2008 NBA le as coach of the Boston Celtics.

ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski first reported the news.

Wojnarowski reports the names in the mix for the Sixers’ vacancy include Sam Cassell, Mike D’Antoni, Mike Budenholzer, Nick Nurse, Frank Vogel and Monty Williams. Like Rivers, Budenholzer, Nurse and Williams were each fired recently, too.

Rivers said he expected to return next season to finish the final two years of his contract. But he understood the reality of the NBA, where coaches such as Nurse (Toronto) and Budenholzer (Milwaukee) have been fired already after winning championships since 2019.

“No one is safe in our business and I get that,” Rivers said.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Lol Mike D'Antoni rumors
    Lol EmbVPee playing Clint Capela role to Harden
    Lol or Joel playing in a 7 seconds or less system

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Next Sp*rs coach tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Coc is one of the most successful coaches in NBA history, a future Hall of Famer, and someone I respect immensely,” President of Basketball Operations Daryl Morey said. “We’re grateful for all he did in his three seasons here and thank him for the important impact he made on our franchise. After having the chance to reflect upon our season, we decided that certain changes are necessary to further our goals of competing for a championship.”
    "He's soo great but he's an obstacle to our winning a championship."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next Sp*rs coach tbh
    Came one game from being the Spurs coach in 1999.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol or Joel playing in a 7 seconds or less system

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bring on the Pringles!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ROFL Coc has blown three 3-1 series leads and four 3-2 series leads

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Here's to second chances

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Here's to second chances
    Shady mother er got a job with the Spurs as their color commentator that year to wait out Pop's firing.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    The coaching carousel goes round and round. Same names, same results. All that matters is where they land. If they land in a desirable destination, coach of the year is possible as is a Finals appearance. Otherwise it's just the same excuses for losing.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Shady mother er got a job with the Spurs as their color commentator that year to wait out Pop's firing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ROFL BBall Breakdown crucifying Tom

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    "all the hallmarked mistakes of a Coc coached game 7". Damn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still can’t believe the 2015 Spurs blew a 3-2 series lead to this guy and that team full of chokers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still can’t believe the 2015 Spurs blew a 3-2 series lead to this guy and that team full of chokers
    Pop was so ing nice and classy

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Who’s the idiot on this forum defending Doc? His handle escapes me

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    ROFL BBall Breakdown crucifying Tom

What a great video...this really puts into perspective what I've always thought in my head about Doc. He's like the "NBA coach" version of the Dallas Cowboys. Usually talented rosters that will give you Division les and good regular seasons, but you can sense the "panic" set in whenever a grittier team outhustles/outcoaches him in a big game leading to a complete unraveling every time with boneheaded plays that just spiral out of control. The first time I really saw this was that 76ers/Hawks Game 7 a few years ago. Seemed like everyone in that arena, not in a Hawks jersey, had their buttholes fastened tight especially in the 4th quarter. I noticed after every dumb play the 6ers made, Doc would flail his arms in the air and let his exasperation show, which just cascades down onto the players leading to more dumb mistakes.

In these conference semi choke jobs it's basically:

1) Other coach makes an adjustment, that Doc has no counter for leading to:
    2) Doc beginning to panic as the other team inevitably goes on a run. His panic then rubs off onto the players who also get rattled and unravel

Thread Information