Page 4 of 145 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SAN ANTONIO — French basketball star Victor Wembanyama is not officially in the NBA but will already be helping the league usher in a new event once he is drafted.

The NBA announced that Wembenyama will be part of a star-studded lineup of basketball stars for the first NBA Con.

The event blends the interests of NBA players and fans into a celebration of the best of hoops culture and will debut at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas from July 7-9, 2023.

Wembanyama part of a star-studded lineup for the first NBA Con | kens5.com

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like that I've never seen Vic stare down an opponent or show anybody up. He's just about the game. Very Spursy.

Vid recognizes how good Jones is. Again, maybe not long-term solution as a starter, but he's a pure point who will get guys the ball with a high A/TO ratio. Why I don't think Scoot works at all. Need a guy who will get these guys the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hopeful Timmy will go to work with him. Turn him into an even more dangerous player than he's already destined to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like that I've never seen Vic stare down an opponent or show anybody up. He's just about the game. Very Spursy.

Vid recognizes how good Jones is. Again, maybe not long-term solution as a starter, but he's a pure point who will get guys the ball with a high A/TO ratio. Why I don't think Scoot works at all. Need a guy who will get these guys the ball.
    If Jones can develop a league average 3 point shot he would be a viable starter. His game is not dissimilar to AJ so I see the role, I just see PG as the best candidate for upgrade. We need more shooting from the backcourt badly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jones can develop a league average 3 point shot he would be a viable starter. His game is not dissimilar to AJ so I see the role, I just see PG as the best candidate for upgrade. We need more shooting from the backcourt badly.
    yep

a leap from branham would also go a long way, as he showed some combo-guard ability

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also would like an upgrade, no offense to Jones. But it's impressive that we went into things a year ago uncertain whether he, or anybody, could cover Murray's absence and he did so quite capably.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep

a leap from branham would also go a long way, as he showed some combo-guard ability
    And that is just it, there are a lot of guys that need to develop. Bring in a PG/combo or a big but we need to see where all these wings and forwards are at.

Tim Duncan came into the league with Robinson, Elliott, and vets like Person and Purdue. We have Collins, Sochan, Dieng and McBuckets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also would like an upgrade, no offense to Jones. But it's impressive that we went into things a year ago uncertain whether he, or anybody, could cover Murray's absence and he did so quite capably.
    The question at this point is who handles the ball for the second unit?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that defensive play at 5:23 is just absolutely bat

closeout, 2 changes of directions, and the shot still doesnt have a prayer at getting off

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question at this point is who handles the ball for the second unit?
    Jones. Or you mean without picking someone up? Wesley or Graham.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And that is just it, there are a lot of guys that need to develop. Bring in a PG/combo or a big but we need to see where all these wings and forwards are at.

Tim Duncan came into the league with Robinson, Elliott, and vets like Person and Purdue. We have Collins, Sochan, Dieng and McBuckets.
    absolutely. ive been pretty vocal at wanting to bring in guys at PG/C even while wanting to extend collins and retain Tre

just because we have a guy on the roster who might improve doesnt mean we can just treat the position as solved

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that defensive play at 5:23 is just absolutely bat

closeout, 2 changes of directions, and the shot still doesnt have a prayer at getting off
    Not that play, but in other ones he often baits opponents when he's helping by appearing to be turned away or out of the play.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Recent interview with one of his teammates. Pretty interesting with a lot of little nuggets of information on who Victor is behind the scenes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as Wemby playing in the summer league, he probably won't. French league POs start may 23th and end June 24th. Depends on how far he goes but French NT preparation for the World Cup start July 24, so he'll probably rest after the POs, but will still be in Vegas for the "NBA con" fan event early July during the Summer League.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sup Spurs fam. First time posting for a while (and for good reason). I’m so pumped for what the future might bring for this team and for Wemby.

I’ve seen a lot of hype for a while on this guy, but never imagined it would play out on OUR TEAM. But my concern now is how crazy the hype has gotten and how that could affect Victor early on. I’ve seen statements like “if he isn’t top 5 all time it’s a disappointment” and “he needs to be all NBA from the jump”. Those are crazy and lofty expectations.

This dude is insanely talented, but my expectations are that he’s going to need a couple of seasons to fully utilize his talent at the NBA level. I don’t think he’s going to walk in and average 20 & 10. He’s probably going to get dunked on and bullied in the paint on occasion. He’s probably going to get roasted by taking heads and called a bust. He’s going to have to deal with that, and we as fans are going to have to deal with that. But I think it will be worth it once he develops as a player. He’s a 19 yo twig right now, but if he stays mentally tough and continues to work, he’s going to be really special.

With all that being said, I hope I’m wrong and he’s just dominates from the jump

Looking forward to the “Victor Went-bananas” headlines after he drops 40-10-6 blocks in year 5

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just want to see Wemby posting up the Brow - and calling for the ball by saying,

"mouse in the house!"

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he should have no problem averaging 20 points a game in the NBA from the get go. The paint is a lot less clogged in the NBA and he's a natural scorer. He's averaging 22 in France, not the same level of compe ion but everybody's been saying it's harder to score in Europe, and games are 8 minutes longer.
    For reference, his only 2 games with NBA rules in October he scored 37 & 36. His highest scoring game in France this season is 33.

As for rebounds, I think he might average under 10 at first. He's a good rebounder but not a great one for his size and he'll need to adjust. However, he will surprise a lot of people with the shots he's able to block. His mere presence discourages a lot of teams from even attempting shots in the paint. It's absolutely ridiculous to witness, and I think that'll translate.

On the other hand, he will have to adjust to the refereeing and he might find himself in foul trouble his first season. Also I've seen him get bullied, or dunked on, but it's really not that common. Keep in mind the "bigs" that are supposed to bully him are still half a foot shorter than him. He's not super physical but people seem to think he's made of crystal. He's not that far behind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he should have no problem averaging 20 points a game in the NBA from the get go. The paint is a lot less clogged in the NBA and he's a natural scorer. He's averaging 22 in France, not the same level of compe ion but everybody's been saying it's harder to score in Europe, and games are 8 minutes longer.
    For reference, his only 2 games with NBA rules in October he scored 37 & 36. His highest scoring game in France this season is 33.

As for rebounds, I think he might average under 10 at first. He's a good rebounder but not a great one for his size and he'll need to adjust. However, he will surprise a lot of people with the shots he's able to block. His mere presence discourages a lot of teams from even attempting shots in the paint. It's absolutely ridiculous to witness, and I think that'll translate.

On the other hand, he will have to adjust to the refereeing and he might find himself in foul trouble his first season. Also I've seen him get bullied, or dunked on, but it's really not that common. Keep in mind the "bigs" that are supposed to bully him are still half a foot shorter than him. He's not super physical but people seem to think he's made of crystal. He's not that far behind.
    Yeah, I don't see how Wemby averages less than 20 ppg with the extended space to operate on offense, the NBA rules and the faster pace. I would also be shocked if he doesn't end up among the leaders in blocks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sup Spurs fam. First time posting for a while (and for good reason). I’m so pumped for what the future might bring for this team and for Wemby.

I’ve seen a lot of hype for a while on this guy, but never imagined it would play out on OUR TEAM. But my concern now is how crazy the hype has gotten and how that could affect Victor early on. I’ve seen statements like “if he isn’t top 5 all time it’s a disappointment” and “he needs to be all NBA from the jump”. Those are crazy and lofty expectations.

This dude is insanely talented, but my expectations are that he’s going to need a couple of seasons to fully utilize his talent at the NBA level. I don’t think he’s going to walk in and average 20 & 10. He’s probably going to get dunked on and bullied in the paint on occasion. He’s probably going to get roasted by taking heads and called a bust. He’s going to have to deal with that, and we as fans are going to have to deal with that. But I think it will be worth it once he develops as a player. He’s a 19 yo twig right now, but if he stays mentally tough and continues to work, he’s going to be really special.

With all that being said, I hope I’m wrong and he’s just dominates from the jump

Looking forward to the “Victor Went-bananas” headlines after he drops 40-10-6 blocks in year 5
    I like that one

I agree about the impact of abusrd expectations but he seems to have a very solid head and comes from a privileged backgroung with both parents former pro athlets who clearly educated him very well.
    Between that and a very solid entourage I think he'll be fine

Just praying for his knees and feet durability

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s like a movie. Hopefully this sequel can rival the original.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Victor will do Timmy like Timmy did to David in practice - make him look like a scrub lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not expected to mentor Wembanyama: Kawhi Leonard.

Thread Information