Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BS is circulating again here huh.... Well, I'm not sure there are to many scenarios that I would entertain taking him, but a pick swap wouldn't get it done. Maybe both their picks this year if they took Doug, Graham, and Birch? Maybe if I squint real hard that could make sense...then again maybe I've had a couple drinks....
    That’s cute. In all seriousness it sounds like with the new CBA there will be a lot of incentive for teams to shed salary. Im definitely holding out for the best deal. My fave right now does involve the Nets though:

SAS: Harris + Patty + 20th pick
    BKN: Graham + Berch [+ net 9M in cap relief]

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s cute. In all seriousness it sounds like with the new CBA there will be a lot of incentive for teams to shed salary. Im definitely holding out for the best deal. My fave right now does involve the Nets though:

SAS: Harris + Patty + 20th pick
    BKN: Graham + Berch [+ net 9M in cap relief]
    I like that...those are definitely the kind of deal that we can take advantage of..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't see Brooklyn dropping one of those picks just to shed salary. Graham isn't worth much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs comfortably have the room to take three rookies this season. Obviously Wemby has a spot. The later second will get that fresh new two-way slot. So now it's the high-second that will be competing for a spot. I was gonna make a thread with this same premise, and I might do that later. For now, I'll just group the players on the team into tiers

Essential: Wembanyama

Not willing to move at the moment: Sochan

Would REALLY like to keep: Vassell

Want to keep, but are willing to listen: Johnson {Jones}

Want to keep, and that's good because they don't have value worth moving them: Branham, Wesley

Don't mind keeping for now: McDermott, Graham, Collins [Bates-Diop]

Intriguing but a potential upgrade spot: Bassey (Champagnie) {Mamu}

Would have to win a spot in camp and may not even get an invite: (Barlow) {Langford}

Might make it from a contract quirk ... at least for a bit: Birch

Better not make the team as a player: [Dieng]

So by my count, there are nine players who will have an almost guaranteed spot on the team barring a trade, with two additional players guaranteed a spot if they get new deals. While I think the bottom of the roster has some decent enough filler, I don't think anyone there is so entrenched that a guy draft in the middle of the draft wouldn't have a real chance at keeping his spot. Literally all of those guys other than Barlow has lost a roster battle at least once, almost all of them were draft after 33 in their respective years. They aren't a horrible floor for the roster, but yes, the Spurs should endeavor to pass those guys up with future picks. They have a bunch of good opportunities now. They don't have to go bargain shopping anymore.
    interesting breakdown and way of looking at the roster. id probably move Collins up to the Keldon tier, and vassell into the sochan tier.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't see Brooklyn dropping one of those picks just to shed salary. Graham isn't worth much.
    We should probably get a person more steeped in CBA in here, but apparently it is punitive for teams that continue to stay over the tax going forward. The Nate Duncan podcast was saying the expected a very busy trade off season for this reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should probably get a person more steeped in CBA in here, but apparently it is punitive for teams that continue to stay over the tax going forward. The Nate Duncan podcast was saying the expected a very busy trade off season for this reason.
    Sure, but they're really not in bad shape next year and then the following they have a ton of contracts coming off the books. If they have to shed some salary, there are other ways to do it than give away a good pick for nothing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, but they're really not in bad shape next year and then the following they have a ton of contracts coming off the books. If they have to shed some salary, there are other ways to do it than give away a good pick for nothing.
    It’s more complicated than that. They were a luxury tax team last year, and are projected to be over the cap this year too BEFORE making decisions on Cam Johnson and Seth Curry. That relief in my proposal may well be want allows them to keep Johnson for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've posted elsewhere that Brooklyn doesn't have any picks next year, in 2024. The Charlotte and Toronto picks are awkward to trade. The first may not convey, the second may be too valuable.

Marks also really does well drafting value, so may really like those 21 and 22 picks. You can get good talent on phenomenal salary scales.

But there might be something there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s more complicated than that. They were a luxury tax team last year, and are projected to be over the cap this year too BEFORE making decisions on Cam Johnson and Seth Curry. That relief in my proposal may well be want allows them to keep Johnson for example.
    I don't see them trading a FRP just for some cap relief.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see them trading a FRP just for some cap relief.
    I there's a decent chance that they will since they have two picks in the same range. That fact will make it an easier sell to their fanbase.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I there's a decent chance that they will since they have two picks in the same range. That fact will make it an easier sell to their fanbase.
    I mean, no? You guys have a weird fantasy going here. They're likely to move up with them than anything.

They have wings that will be coveted that they'll move in O'Neal and Finney-Smith.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, look, they also have an eighteen million dollar trade exception from the Durant trade. They're fine all around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think folks are way overrating the value the Spurs can offer just for taking contracts. I think the Nets might take advantage of the irrational market for Bridges and sucker Portland out of the third pick and likely save a decent amount of money without simply dumping contracts. They need to get under the second apron by next summer to avoid freezing their pick. They'll accomplish that easily. They might just not want the pick, of course, and maybe SA can take advantage of that by offering a future first or 33 plus some other minor assets. But saving money right now isn't something I think they care to do. Even if they want to get rid of Simmons, they can hold on for one more year and dump with with a lower first rather than paying a bunch now.

I hope we don't have another Westbrook situation where folks convince themselves the Spurs are going to be able to slide in and get really good value only to see them not make a deal at all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, no? You guys have a weird fantasy going here. They're likely to move up with them than anything.

They have wings that will be coveted that they'll move in O'Neal and Finney-Smith.
    How do you get from me saying there's a 'decent chance" to that being a weird fantasy? It's not nearly as cut and dried as you are making it seem. There are alot of things in play for alot teams right now with this new CBA, roster construction/constraints, and balancing that with selling it all to your fanbase. A team like Brooklyn, with a trade exception they aren't likely to use, who's over the cap in multiple years, and with multiple picks late in the first rd where they aren't nearly as valuable is going to entertain doing something with one of those picks. Are we going to offer the best package to give them relief? I have no idea, but there's a decent chance they move one of them to someone and that there's cap relief involved with that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you get from me saying there's a 'decent chance" to that being a weird fantasy? It's not nearly as cut and dried as you are making it seem. There are alot of things in play for alot teams right now with this new CBA, roster construction/constraints, and balancing that with selling it all to your fanbase. A team like Brooklyn, with a trade exception they aren't likely to use, who's over the cap in multiple years, and with multiple picks late in the first rd where they aren't nearly as valuable is going to entertain doing something with one of those picks. Are we going to offer the best package to give them relief? I have no idea, but there's a decent chance they move one of them to someone and that there's cap relief involved with that.
    My brother in Christ, the Nets are not going to sell you a pick to cut salary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope we don't have another Westbrook situation where folks convince themselves the Spurs are going to be able to slide in and get really good value only to see them not make a deal at all.
    Utah receives: Westbrook (46.3M), Toscano-Anderson (2.1M), Damian Jones (2,3M). Total received: 50.7M (the 2 former are expiring, only Jones has 1 more year at a similar figure)
    Utah sends: Conley (22.7M), Beasley (15.6M), Vanderbilt (4.4M), Alexander-Walker (5M). Total sent: 47.7
    So basically Utah took on an extra 3M for a few months, Westbrook was used as a salary filler, not a salary dump for 2 years 80M like Ben Simmons would have to be. Totally different scenarios. Brooklyn can choose to keep Simmons and Tsai can choose to pay as much luxury tax as he wants, but if they want to move that contract, it's going to take some MASSIVE incentive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah receives: Westbrook (46.3M), Toscano-Anderson (2.1M), Damian Jones (2,3M). Total received: 50.7M (the 2 former are expiring, only Jones has 1 more year at a similar figure)
    Utah sends: Conley (22.7M), Beasley (15.6M), Vanderbilt (4.4M), Alexander-Walker (5M). Total sent: 47.7
    So basically Utah took on an extra 3M for a few months, Westbrook was used as a salary filler, not a salary dump for 2 years 80M like Ben Simmons would have to be. Totally different scenarios. Brooklyn can choose to keep Simmons and Tsai can choose to pay as much luxury tax as he wants, but if they want to move that contract, it's going to take some MASSIVE incentive.
    I don't know if people are worried about which contract was worse. The conversation as far as I see it is with folks trying to insist that Brooklyn, Dallas or whomever is going to give up picks because they want to get rid of guys badly enough to give the Spurs all this leverage. The Nets don't really have much of a need to do that. The Spurs have way more compe ion for cap space this year, and Nets have so many options to save money while getting value. The Westbrook saga showed why STers thinking they had the leverage situation figured out didn't, and a lot of those posters are making the same arguments now. I hope they make those arguments with more caution this time around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure the Spurs would want a 2nd rookie on the roster this season, but I've been very impressed with Brandin Podziemski. Left handed, such a pure shot that doesn't even touch the rims, decent secondary ballhandler and passer, tough, has a nice floater and can even score inside, although that's probably not translating to the NBA. His shot and movement alone should make him a surefire NBA player, though. He's also a better athlete than he appears at first, judging by some of the combine measures.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure the Spurs would want a 2nd rookie on the roster this season, but I've been very impressed with Brandin Podziemski. Left handed, such a pure shot that doesn't even touch the rims, decent secondary ballhandler and passer, tough, has a nice floater and can even score inside, although that's probably not translating to the NBA. His shot and movement alone should make him a surefire NBA player, though. He's also a better athlete than he appears at first, judging by some of the combine measures.
    Brandon's floor would be Michael Jordan but with a much higher ceiling...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man if the spurs want a player they should spend assets to get it.prior to wemby getting future draft assets was fine, but that secret plan the spurs were working on in the event they drafted wemby, surely has trade demands.

Other teams know about wemby time and arent going give us a deal easily. They know about our pick haul. We should give out two SRP just for teams picking up the phone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man if the spurs want a player they should spend assets to get it.prior to wemby getting future draft assets was fine, but that secret plan the spurs were working on in the event they drafted wemby, surely has trade demands.

Other teams know about wemby time and arent going give us a deal easily. They know about our pick haul. We should give out two SRP just for teams picking up the phone
    Glad you're not running our front office.

What happens if Wemby's worst case comes true and he breaks down because he can't handle the duration of the NBA season and the physicality? It might be nice to hold on to those ATL picks, just in case. That would be a second window to drafting a potential superstar like Cam Boozer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if people are worried about which contract was worse. The conversation as far as I see it is with folks trying to insist that Brooklyn, Dallas or whomever is going to give up picks because they want to get rid of guys badly enough to give the Spurs all this leverage. The Nets don't really have much of a need to do that. The Spurs have way more compe ion for cap space this year, and Nets have so many options to save money while getting value. The Westbrook saga showed why STers thinking they had the leverage situation figured out didn't, and a lot of those posters are making the same arguments now. I hope they make those arguments with more caution this time around.
    I might agree that Brooklyn isn't URGED to move Simmons, but sure as could try to do so eventually, since he's their only negative contract on the books beyond '23-'24, with Bridges and Finney Smith making a combined 40M for the next 2 seasons. Now even if you still have to add Cam Johnson, Nic Claxton, and Dinwiddie and 'Royce ONeal's new deals, they could very well add a max player or more if they dump Simmons, like Jaylen Brown, Sabonis, Siakam, OG Anunoby, Dejounte, etc. If they don't think they can land any of those, then yes, let his contract run out and make a splash in '25. But it's definitely not an unreasonable proposal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I seen GG Jackson fall into the early 2nd round in some mocks cause he worked out while being sick and missed a lot of shots. GG for a 2nd rounder would be a damn steal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I seen GG Jackson fall into the early 2nd round in some mocks cause he worked out while being sick and missed a lot of shots. GG for a 2nd rounder would be a damn steal
    It's very unlikely he goes beyond the late first. I think he'll go early 20s at latest.

Which could be a mistake. Someone posted that there has never been a player who has succeeded even as a role-player who posted a BPM <1 the year they came into the draft. This year those players are Emoni Bates, Nick Smith Jr., Jalen Hood-Schifino, and GG Jackson.

I think NSJ is possibly a special case. I think JHS came out a year too early. Emoni Bates just sucks. And GG Jackson is really actually very poor.

But I agree - if he's there with a SRP why not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bates is awful. 7’4” 300# Zach Edey had a faster lane agility time.

Thread Information