Age 18.8 Wingspan 7'7"

Rebounds
    reb 2.2 15.5 REB%
    Blocks
    blk 0.6 6.4 BLK%
    Steals
    stl 0.2 1 STL%

San Antonio Spurs

After the Spurs select Wembanyama with the first pick, I’d be interested in seeing them take another big man. Nnaji’s beefy frame, rim protection, and verticality would provide an interesting contrast next to Wemby.

Long-armed big man who’s built like a tank and has the mentality to dominate on both ends of the paint.
    Venn Diagaram Icon
    Shades Of
    Clint Capela

Shot Blockingbadge
    Shot Blocking
    On-Ball Defensebadge
    On-Ball Defense
    Interior Scoringbadge
    Interior Scoring
    Reboundingbadge
    Rebounding

PLUSES

Defensively alters everything around the basket. He can thrive as a drop defender, and his skills translate into help situations. He’s aware when defending off the ball and does a great job of timing blocks using either hand. It’s not uncommon for him to rocket off the floor for swats.

Plays as strong as he looks. He battles on the post and fights relentlessly for rebounds, whether he boxes out or repositions himself to follow the trajectory of the ball.

Good defender in space. He can slide his feet laterally to stick with guards coming off screens or handoffs. If he needs to switch, he’s more than capable.

Sets strong fundamental screens with a wide frame, making it hard for opponents to fight through. He rolls hard and can handle lobs.

Excellent interior finisher who can dunk through contact but also shows natural instincts, making himself available with relocations and basket cuts. He can put the ball on the floor once or twice to score. Or he’ll use pump fakes to draw defenders before elevating.

With his adequate straight-line handle and ability to make high-low passes, he could have untapped upside in dribble handoffs.

MINUSES

He hasn’t played heavy minutes for Barcelona since he’s a teenager playing in the EuroLeague and Spanish league.

Commits avoidable mistakes, whether it’s making off-target passes or being called for moving screens.

Hackable free throw shooter who shoots around 50 percent. He also hasn’t shown the touch to hit shots outside the paint.
    San Antonio Spurs
    Marcus Sasser

Houston, Senior
    Marcus Sasser
    Combo Guard
    Height 6'1" Weight 196
    Age 22.7 Wingspan 6'7"

3-point percentage
    3P% 38.4 6.9 3PA/G
    Assists
    ast 3.1 1.6 TOV/G
    Steals
    stl 1.6 3.2 STL%

San Antonio Spurs

Sasser is a gritty guard who can provide scoring and hard-nosed defense.

Spark-plug scoring guard who also plays hard on defense.
    Venn Diagaram Icon
    Shades Of
    Lindsey Hunter, Eddie House

Pull-up Threatbadge
    Pull-up Threat
    Float Gamebadge
    Float Game
    Got That Dog in Himbadge
    Got That Dog in Him

PLUSES

Hard-nosed perimeter defender who fights through screens by getting skinny and sticking to opposing ball handlers like glue. He’s a menace as an off-ball defender in passing lanes, too. When he needs to recover, he closes out with fundamentals. Effort is never a question.

Deep-range shooter, but he’s streaky and so far much more consistent off the catch. He has a smooth release and has no issues getting his shot off even under pressure. Though he lacks reps coming off screens, he shows an ability to hit 3s coming off movement.

Shifty ball handler with a low and tight handle. He loves using a high-arcing teardrop floater when he can’t get all the way to the rim. Though he needs to play like Damian Lillard for Houston, he’ll need to embrace his inner Patrick Beverley in the NBA.

MINUSES

Below-the-rim finisher who takes most of his shots away from the basket. He’s forced to settle for a lot of tough floaters or contested jumpers.

He’s not a true point guard. Rather than passing seamlessly off the bounce, he often picks up his dribble, which gets him into a bind when attacking the paint. And he lacks a lead playmaker’s vision, meaning he likely won’t be able to operate as a sixth man who can settle an offense.

Undersized guards are always at a disadvantage on defense, so he’ll be targeted by NBA offenses. It’s critical for him to add more value on offense outside of his scoring to regularly earn minutes at the next level.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fansided: 2023 NBA Mock Draft 9.0: Hornets, Rockets set dominoes in motion
    Christopher Kline, 4 hours ago [AKA 7 June 2020]

Rayan Rupert
    G France
    San Antonio Spurs

Rayan Rupert’s middling production in Australia’s NBL may have led some NBA front offices to sour on him, but he’s a fluid athlete who can handle the rock, hit 3s, and defend his tail off at 6-foot-7. The Spurs’ international scouting is world-renowned, as is their skill development program. This is the perfect low-risk, high-reward second round investment.
    Marcus Sasser
    G Houston
    San Antonio Spurs

Marcus Sasser gives San Antonio another source of shooting and shot creation in the backcourt. He’s one of the best pull-up marksmen on the board, but there are defensive concerns tied to his small frame.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rupert does appear to be dropping on several boards. he was once a late first round pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love these 2nd rd mocks as of late....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James Nnaji is an interesting prospect at only 18 years old. 20 years ago he would’ve been a top-10 pick. He projects as a great interior defender with his big, athletic 6’10 frame and freakish 7’5 wingspan.

He’s extremely mobile and fluid for his size, can switch onto quicker guards, and dunks everything around the basket. He shot a ridiculous 79% from inside the paint this season so he’s a strong finisher inside.

The problem is he has little to no offensive game whatsoever, hence why he’s being projected late in the First or early in the 2nd despite his physical capabilties. Can he develop a jump shot? Given his mechanics.. it’s not promising. He projects as an athletic Rim-running Center off the bench who can maybe start down the like in his career with more development. I think his best case scenario is a more athletic Robert Williams, which is still a good player tbh. Will be interesting to see if goes late First or if he’s available when we’re on the clock at 33 (assuming we don’t move up).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dariq Whitehead probably drops into the 2nd round since they announced he underwent a 2nd surgery on his foot this week. He could be a real steal in the 2nd round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    clint capela has carved out a really nice career despite basically just being a rim running defender. theres still a place for that in the NBA as long as he is fundamentally sound. kevon looney has been an impact player for the warriors and frankly was instrumental in their 2022 run.

the question is if you really want that out of a starter, of if you see him more as a reserve center on a small ball lineup to just be the one guy holding down the paint

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are honestly a lot of really interesting names that could very well slide to #33. Even if we don’t end up trading into the 1st round seems like there’s a good chance we’ll snag someone to be excited about.*

*or we’ll just draft a random international player who wasn’t on anyone’s radar and ST will have a meltdown

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James Nnaji is an interesting prospect at only 18 years old. 20 years ago he would’ve been a top-10 pick. He projects as a great interior defender with his big, athletic 6’10 frame and freakish 7’5 wingspan.

He’s extremely mobile and fluid for his size, can switch onto quicker guards, and dunks everything around the basket. He shot a ridiculous 79% from inside the paint this season so he’s a strong finisher inside.

The problem is he has little to no offensive game whatsoever, hence why he’s being projected late in the First or early in the 2nd despite his physical capabilties. Can he develop a jump shot? Given his mechanics.. it’s not promising. He projects as an athletic Rim-running Center off the bench who can maybe start down the like in his career with more development. I think his best case scenario is a more athletic Robert Williams, which is still a good player tbh. Will be interesting to see if goes late First or if he’s available when we’re on the clock at 33 (assuming we don’t move up).

I see Nnaji from the late first round into the second.

Here's where the Spurs are in a very new situation. In the past, we'd get some second rounder or project guy and spend a lot of time following him. Now, we have a roster stuffed with young players already needing development. More to the point, we have even more first and second round picks upcoming. We have three of each next year!

So... what to do with a SRP? Can we really take a project like Nnaji when we have Mamukelashvili, we have Bassey, we have Barlow? Understandably, we're not tied to any of them, but there's a jam already. Is the philosophy to get players who are more ready to contribute right away? I don't know.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Here's where the Spurs are in a very new situation. In the past, we'd get some second rounder or project guy and spend a lot of time following him. Now, we have a roster stuffed with young players already needing development. More to the point, we have even more first and second round picks upcoming. We have three of each next year!

So... what to do with a SRP? Can we really take a project like Nnaji when we have Mamukelashvili, we have Bassey, we have Barlow? Understandably, we're not tied to any of them, but there's a jam already. Is the philosophy to get players who are more ready to contribute right away? I don't know.
    Bassey or Barlow being on the roster shouldn't preclude us going after Nnaji if we feel he's the better prospect. I'm not saying the Fo thinks Nnaji is the better prospect, just that they aren't an impediment at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bassey or Barlow being on the roster shouldn't preclude us going after Nnaji if we feel he's the better prospect. I'm not saying the Fo thinks Nnaji is the better prospect, just that they aren't an impediment at all.
    Hypothetically if the Nnaji-player is clearly a better prospect, sure, but if he's not there is cost to drafting him. Since he's not clearly better, then there's a problem drafting him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hypothetically if the Nnaji-player is clearly a better prospect, sure, but if he's not there is cost to drafting him. Since he's not clearly better, then there's a problem drafting him.
    That's the question that matters... is he clearly a better prospect? Personally, I'm not sure. I don't have him as a first rounder on my board, but I haven't put any time in comparing him to Bassey or Barlow. Off the cuff, I'd say he's the most athletic of the 3 and his wingspan is impressive. That's said, I don't really see anything that indicates that he'll ever be more than a rim runner on offense. Defensively he could be special...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the question that matters... is he clearly a better prospect? Personally, I'm not sure. I don't have him as a first rounder on my board, but I haven't put any time in comparing him to Bassey or Barlow. Off the cuff, I'd say he's the most athletic of the 3 and his wingspan is impressive. That's said, I don't really see anything that indicates that he'll ever be more than a rim runner on offense. Defensively he could be special...
    Well, this is my point, more or less. Previous years they might grab him just to have someone to develop. Now, their philosophies may have changed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's why I advocate just selling the 19 SRPs we (currently) have in the next 7 drafts. We already have 13 FRPs in that same stretch of time. Of course, you don't do it all at once. If you haven't traded any FRPs before or during the draft for year 202X, sell all of the second rounders for that year. Lather, rinse, repeat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have Nnaji better than Barlowe. More physical, stronger, faster, more explosive, better shot blocker, more fire too. Barlowe seems loose and sleepy at times and lost on the floor. It should get better with time but his ceiling is lower than Nnaji for me who is a guy who can transmit his energy to his teammates and don't need anyone to have an impact on the game with a nice block or a put back dunk. Barlowe can only thrive throughout the system.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Generally, I'd agree. But with Wembanyama, Collins and Bassey (he may not be as athletic, but he's athletic enough) in tow, I wouldn't and I can't see them expending a virtual 1st on another C, especially a relatively common archetype that they probably already have covered.

There's a bunch of wings projected to be in that range who make more sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have Nnaji better than Barlowe. More physical, stronger, faster, more explosive, better shot blocker, more fire too. Barlowe seems loose and sleepy at times and lost on the floor. It should get better with time but his ceiling is lower than Nnaji for me who is a guy who can transmit his energy to his teammates and don't need anyone to have an impact on the game with a nice block or a put back dunk. Barlowe can only thrive throughout the system.
    The thing about Barlow is that he has some sneaky potential that might be unlocked as a big wing. He already has a decent jumper. Nnaji is just a typical rim runner/shot blocker. I just can't get excited about the overall archetype or his tiny numbers. He also shoots 48% FTs on the only decent sample size in his stats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nnaji makes more sense at 44 but he'd be gone by then and i also don't see the spurs keeping their 44th. pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are honestly a lot of really interesting names that could very well slide to #33. Even if we don’t end up trading into the 1st round seems like there’s a good chance we’ll snag someone to be excited about.*

*or we’ll just draft a random international player who wasn’t on anyone’s radar and ST will have a meltdown
    There will definitely be solid prospects available at 33 still. My gut tells me that whoever they take they plan on stashing in Austin for a couple years, so it’s likely a young foreigner like Sidy Cissoko if he’s still available or someone like that. But either way, this is a deeper draft when it comes to Guards and Wings, so there will be a good player or two still available at that point, and hopefully the Spurs make the right pick pick come that time if they don’t end up trading the pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There will 100% be solid prospects available at 33 still. My gut tells me that whoever they take they plan on stashing in Austin for a couple years, so it’s likely a young foreigner like Sidy Cissoko or someone like that if they’re available. But either way, this is a deeper draft when it comes to Guards and Wings, so there will be a good player or two still available at that point, and hopefully the Spurs make the right pick pick come that time.
    A second rounder would have to agree to a 2way or a gleague contract, the only ways to keep from using one of the 15 NBA roster spots. Before they drafted Tre Jones, he refused to consider a 2way, because he had been in a number of mocks as a FRP, and felt that someone would give him a roster spot if we wouldn't. The Spurs gave him a full NBA contract. Anyone who slips from the first to second round will probably want the same thing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is very weak draft as far as depth at the PG and Center positions, but it is strong in Wings - just looking at our current roster there is easily two players who will not be back. There is probably 2 to 4 legit players I think who could fall to 33 and come in be an upgrade to the two players that will be leaving. As far as the 44 pick I agree sale as I don't even see anyone we could even be worth a draft and stash at this point

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Serious question, how far apart at Rayan Rupert and Bilal C.? They have similar measurement and motors. Could be Bilal is better but how much so?

Like if Rayan was on Wemby’s team would he be the one getting hyped?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dariq Whitehead probably drops into the 2nd round since they announced he underwent a 2nd surgery on his foot this week. He could be a real steal in the 2nd round.
    I'd like to think that, the problem with that reasoning IMO is that there's a chunk of picks in the 26-32 range that belong to non contenders with multiple picks (26, 29 & 32 Indiana, 27 Charlotte, 28 Utah, 31 Detroit) and those picks are ideal for such gambles, so I fear most high ceiling prospects that slip will be snatched by teams in that range, and it'll be frustrating to watch. If something like that happens, we should be ready to move up or we'll miss our chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sell the second rounders. All of them. We have NINETEEN that fall between this draft and 2029. The THIRTEEN FRPs that fall in that same period are going to be tough enough to develop, evaluate, and if need be, jettison.
    I'd keep a few select ones, mainly I like the Spurs own this year and the next. Other than that, yes, ship a bunch of those together for some higher caliber prospect, better one good prospect now than investing 10 years worth of roster spots and developing time to come away with a single usable player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to think that, the problem with that reasoning IMO is that there's a chunk of picks in the 26-32 range that belong to non contenders with multiple picks (26, 29 & 32 Indiana, 27 Charlotte, 28 Utah, 31 Detroit) and those picks are ideal for such gambles, so I fear most high ceiling prospects that slip will be snatched by teams in that range, and it'll be frustrating to watch. If something like that happens, we should be ready to move up or we'll miss our chance.
    It’s a smart point. Makes you wonder the inverse: who where the “safer” bets for contenders in that range had they kept their pick that are at risk of slipping? I’m thinking it’s the Jaime Jaquez and Kris Murrays of the world

Thread Information