Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, boring was never accurate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thing the draft isn't predicated on who will be the most entertaining destination.

Would it have been better if he ended up in Detroit? Or Charlotte so they could waste the career of another star talent?

Big markets already have every advantage when it comes to free agency and spending. The draft is the only thing that maintains a modi of parity in this league.

Glad AJ called his ass out.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get him Lil Gen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aj telling em to get bent

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who is that guy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always hated that narrative because it was based on such a dumbed down view of what is interesting in the eyes of mainstream fans and media-- as if dating a Kardashian or wearing flashy jewelry was more newsworthy than learning about the cultural backgrounds of Timmy's Virgin Islands, Tony's France, Manu's time in Argentina and Italy, etc., etc... It's the equivalent of Americans who think a trip to Nepal or Zanzibar is "weird," because it represents a missed opportunity to spend time at an incredibly "interesting" place like Disney World.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The media are idiots

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thing the draft isn't predicated on who will be the most entertaining destination.

Would it have been better if he ended up in Detroit? Or Charlotte so they could waste the career of another star talent?

Big markets already have every advantage when it comes to free agency and spending. The draft is the only thing that maintains a modi of parity in this league.

Glad AJ called his ass out.
    The media would have still been upset with that result. Any place that is not LA, NYC, Miami gets their scorn. They are a bunch of village idiots.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always hated that narrative because it was based on such a dumbed down view of what is interesting in the eyes of mainstream fans and media-- as if dating a Kardashian or wearing flashy jewelry was more newsworthy than learning about the cultural backgrounds of Timmy's Virgin Islands, Tony's France, Manu's time in Argentina and Italy, etc., etc... It's the equivalent of Americans who think a trip to Nepal or Zanzibar is "weird," because it represents a missed opportunity to spend time at an incredibly "interesting" place like Disney World.
    This is very true. I will also say any trip to outside of the US that is not to a European country will get you weird looks and reactions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the media is boring. and when you think about it, they are really doing the NBA a massive disservice. rather than promoting the game of basketball, and other talents throughout the league, they remain fixated on certain franchises and aging players. the 2014 spurs team was exponentially more exciting to watch than this heat roster or what the lakers put out this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless you're a young kid doing young kid stuff, or a degenerate gambler, San Antonio is no less boring than any other city in the country.

My city used to have character and charm and now it's another NBA city and that's what sucks and makes it boring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d much rather live in San Antonio Texas than a hole like Detroit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The city is not boring so much as the club treats the media like mushrooms.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean maybe LA and Miami aren't "boring" cities but living in either of those cities would suck. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get anywhere in SA. It takes about 3x-4x that amount of time to navigate LA and Miami. Free agents aren't rushing to go to NY or Philly, or Boston. Players follow the money and I don't give 2 s about what the media wants.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby is like Kawhi was in terms of living and breathing basketball. I don't think San Antonio is going to be a problem.

And given that there are two French stars that came here and enjoyed their time, the city and franchise are already prepared for him.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I've been saying. Mainstream media and fans are incapable of thinking for themselves and will continue to pedal the "Spurs are boring" construct that ESPN largely began successfully brainwashing into said mainstream around the 2003-2004 season.
    Last edited by Barfunk; 06-12-2023 at 05:34 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the media is boring. and when you think about it, they are really doing the NBA a massive disservice. rather than promoting the game of basketball, and other talents throughout the league, they remain fixated on certain franchises and aging players. the 2014 spurs team was exponentially more exciting to watch than this heat roster or what the lakers put out this year.
    This has been true for years. Maybe it was boring that no other team stood much of a chance during the Spurs' heyday. 50+ wins every year and in the conversation for a championship 20 straight seasons I guess bored the media. They could simply use the same storyline every season for two decades. Boring...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers (The Spank-Show) could average 75ppg in route to a 0-82 season, while the Spurs could quadruple-peat via beautiful basketball filled with lots of wonderful ball movement and impeccable strategies, and the media will still consider the Lakers exciting, while the Spurs, boring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are boring narrative will be gone soon. We will see plenty of monster blocks, dunks, alley oops and crazy 3-point shots with the type of players and playing style we got now. It won‘t work this time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are boring narrative will be gone soon. We will see plenty of monster blocks, dunks, alley oops and crazy 3-point shots with the type of players and playing style we got now. It won‘t work this time
    There’s some truth to that because of Wemby’s personality vs Timmy. While I think Pop would rather stay under radar and not attract unnecessary distruption. But there’s a lesson to be learned with Kawhi wanting to go to LA (bigger market). The difference was Kawhi was a 15th pick trying to get a better shoe deal, while Wemby is already hyped as the “best prospect since LeBron.” I think anywhere he goes, he brings the “shoe deal” with him. Would he get bigger deals if he plays in LA or Golden State? For sure Lakers/Golden State could afford to pay luxury taxes to surround him with other All-NBA talents. Get a chance to surpass MJ ring count, and be the GOAT by doing so? It will be interesting how the Spurs ownership will be willing to pay to support that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has the chance to out do Tim Duncan who‘s a top 5 player of all time. I think that‘s enough motivation

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d much rather live in San Antonio Texas than a hole like Detroit

a ing men

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Robinson was the most exciting player of my lifetime. More so than Jordan bc of all he did defensively.

Thread Information