Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure we are 100% united in wanting to see Rookie Wemby remain above all.....healthy and strong til the conclusion of his rookie year.

On that note, how many regular season games and minutes should Wemby play?

What do you think would be best?

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    65 games, just enough to be eligible for awards.

25-28 minutes per game, starting low and ramping up slightly over the season. Let him adjust to the schedule.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy Dunkar comparisons abound and have us giddy, but sure we here at ST are well aware of the differences.

Wama is 19 years old. Will not turn 20 until Jan 4th 2024.
    Duncan was (22?) and had 4 years of college ball.
    Duncan was much more muscular then Wama.

We do not and most likely will not agree.
    We won't have accesss to all the info Spurs trainers etc have. (Or will we? Never underestimate the power of Spurstalk to get Spurs related info.)

Ok here is what i propose.
    I am taking a very long term view of Wamas rookie season.

I only want him playing in 45 regular season games. Yes, i know what i just said.
    If Wemby is rocking and rolling and putting up All Star #s, i know this will virtually 100% not happen. (The 45 game limit)
    Make that over 100% if Spurs are winning in addition to (and because of) Wemby rocking.

I'm not on the "all skinny guys 6' 11" + are injury prone wagon" -thank you Lew Alcindor - Kareem. But facts are facts. A whole of a lot of them have had problems.
    Therefore I am proposing major rest between games in this his transition year. This is in no way shape of form Nephew crap, quite the opposite.

Closest comparison is Chet. Chet made an extremely unwise defensive play and in a summer league game to boot.

My #1 goal for Wama in his rookie season is to stay healthy while excelling. But I am fine and dandy with a growth chart that is long term and racks up multiple Championships. Yes he's going to need helpful teamates without a doubt. Ginobili and Parkers would be heavenly.

Feel 100% free to disagree.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knowing Pop and considering he was precursor in time management, I can't see him hesitating with Wemby

20-25min/game max, no b2b, 50/60 games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    55-60 games at 26/mpg. Similar to Sochan's rookie campaign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For reference, he's been playing 34 games a year (not including playoffs or FIBA) averaging 32 min/game in the French top league, which is basically like the G-League or Chinese league or wherever NBA rejects go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it will be smartly managed, but I also think they'll hit the 65 game threshold for post-season awards.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    65 games, just enough to be eligible for awards.

25-28 minutes per game, starting low and ramping up slightly over the season. Let him adjust to the schedule.
    I'm good with even 20 minutes a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Banchero avg nearly 34 mins per game, turned 20 a few months in the season.

Durant rookie year avg over 34 mins per game. And he was known to be very weak in his rookie season.

Pokusevski is just skin. Maybe not even bones and got 24mins per game in his rookie season.

Wama will get his 30 mins per.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For reference, he's been playing 34 games a year (not including playoffs or FIBA) averaging 32 min/game in the French top league, which is basically like the G-League or Chinese league or wherever NBA rejects go.
    wtf bro... don't diss like that French top league... encule !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    65 Games and about 30 min per game. The kid will want to win all awards including ROY so Pop should not stay in the way of that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is your star player. You let him play as much as he wants to play! If he wants all the accolades you let him go after it period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just enough to be eligible for awards and right around 29min per game while they focus on getting him stronger and hopefully he stops growing!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    25 solid mpg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it will be smartly managed, but I also think they'll hit the 65 game threshold for post-season awards.
    65 Games and about 30 min per game. The kid will want to win all awards including ROY so Pop should not stay in the way of that
    Just enough to be eligible for awards and right around 29min per game while they focus on getting him stronger and hopefully he stops growing!
    Completely disagree. s given about phony media awards should = zero.
    The Most Undeserving NBA All-Star Selections in History, by the Numbers - The Ringer

Zaza came within 14,000 votes of ousting Prime Kwa as a starter in the All Star game. 2017 some got in the Bay Area named BamBam got an online crush to massively vote.
    Ya i know Phan Bois have since had their votes deleted but the article has a ton more. Kirby Bryant after playing 6 games etc.

The Spurs way should be all about legit Championships.
    The Timmy Duncan way should be the way. How many years was Duncan burned out of an MVP and certainly DPOY?
    Horrible precedent imo to be chasing media awards if it puts Wama at health risk.
    The awards either come organically from good play and the minority of non dildo media people voting or -let it go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Most Undeserving NBA All-Star Selections in History, by the Numbers - The Ringer

Zaza came within 14,000 votes of ousting Prime Kwa as a starter in the All Star game. 2017 some got in the Bay Area named BamBam got an online crush to massively vote.
    Ya i know Phan Bois have since had their votes deleted but the article has a ton more. Kirby Bryant after playing 6 games etc.

The Spurs way should be all about legit Championships.
    The Timmy Duncan way should be the way. How many years was Duncan burned out of an MVP and certainly DPOY?
    Horrible precedent imo to be chasing media awards if it puts Wama at health risk.
    The awards either come organically from good play and the minority of non dildo media people voting or -let it go.
    yeah right, tell that to your star player and see how long he wants to stay here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is your star player. You let him play as much as he wants to play! If he wants all the accolades you let him go after it period.
    Noooooo.
    This is where management ownership needs to wear the pants.
    You do not let a players wants play himself into injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah right, tell that to your star player and see how long he wants to stay here
    Timmy Duncan

19 seasons.

You're welcome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy Duncan

19 seasons.

You're welcome.
    Tim Duncan won Rookie of the year and missed 9 games in his first 6 years and averaged over 38 minutes per game every season. Try again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan won Rookie of the year and missed 9 games in his first 6 years and averaged over 38 minutes per game every season. Try again
    Tim as 21 with 4 years of college under his belt. Ya that is a fair comparison with Wama.
    Duncs also tore his meniscus his 3rd year.

Denied!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with your concerns, long term should be prioritized. However, you don't alienate your foundational piece by excluding him from rookie awards on purpose. You can achieve the same goal (protecting him and letting him get used to the NBA schedule gradually) by being smart about which games he plays and which games he doesn't (careful on B2B or if he's got some issue), limiting minutes (25-30 MPG), being smart about his role (playing him next to a big body that can take the punishment inside, get a Plumlee or somebody like that), etc. Play him just enough so that he can develop and be eligible for awards (which surely matters to HIM at least). Wemby is a blessing, but one walking on a VERY THIN LINE, and we should be EXTREMELY CAREFUL AND PROTECTIVE, of both his body and his mental well being. This is potentially the face of the franchise for 20 years, we need to look at EVERY ANGLE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wtf bro... don't diss like that French top league... encule !

sorry bruh... but it's true... enfoiré

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every non-B2B game at around 30 mpg. Folks talking about 60 games at 25 minutes per game are ing crazy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Noooooo.
    This is where management ownership needs to wear the pants.
    You do not let a players wants play himself into injury.
    Ask the Spurs management how it went last time they tried to wear the pants with Kawhi... Also ask Doc Rivers when he was in Orlando how it worked out when Tim almost left SA but Doc wouldn't let Tim's family on the plane.

Case in point when you have a franchise player you let them be involved in many of the teams decisions, within reason of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every non-B2B game at around 30 mpg. Folks talking about 60 games at 25 minutes per game are ing crazy.
    agreed, that's 67-69 games

Thread Information