Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m a basketball dummy, but for example, if the Spurs pair Wemby with a point guard who can shoot, how do you stop the pick-and-roll? Wemby is a vacuum around the rim, he moves quickly and agilely without the ball, he sets pretty good screens and takes up a lot of room, and if you collapse in the lane to try to stop the p-n-r then he is a rangy shooter. If you switch, he’s got a foot height advantage.
    That’s exactly why I‘m saying we need a star PG. Someone who can shoot and has speed to blow by defenders. The pick & roll combination would be unstoppable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m a basketball dummy, but for example, if the Spurs pair Wemby with a point guard who can shoot, how do you stop the pick-and-roll? Wemby is a vacuum around the rim, he moves quickly and agilely without the ball, he sets pretty good screens and takes up a lot of room, and if you collapse in the lane to try to stop the p-n-r then he is a rangy shooter. If you switch, he’s got a foot height advantage.
    Technically doesn't have to be a PG, just a player with good handles who can take advantage if the defense hedges hard on the shot. But, yes, if you have a dual threat, a Harden type, then it comes close to unstoppable.

Wembanyama doesn't have to necessarily be the roll guy, or the lob threat can be someone else, Sochan, for example, when the defense has to hedge an extra guy on the pick and roll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyrie anyone?

also on a more serious note, now that the Warriors are breaking up, we should go after Klay

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyrie anyone?

also on a more serious note, now that the Warriors are breaking up, we should go after Klay
    Who said Warriors breaking up?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are better than they look, people are tainted by the tank season but that was deliberate losing efforts and even still look at the Nuggets game late season. NBA Finals future DEN was full strength and played hard and Spurs hung with the big dogs. I think people are underestimating the pre existing core a lot and getting dazzle eyes for a big splashy move but maybe we already got our guys barring some PG and C depth optimization.
    I remember the Spurs beating Denver last time they played them. I think Jokic had a monster game 37, 11, 11 and Murray had something like 20+ as well, but we still won. I wasn't able to watch the game, but was pleasantly surprised seeing that we won against them. Not sure how hard Denver played that game, but I remember being very encourage with the win thinking the Spurs are pretty good when close to full strength.

- Fully agree. I think the last game showed you what happens when JBrown is by himself w/no other offensive threat on the other side. JT was on the floor but not active w/his ankle so JBrown should have taken over but it was more of the other supporting cast that tried to pick up the slack (i.e. DWhite). So I'd pass especially because of how many assets you'd have to give up to get him. Not worth it.

- DWhite unfortunately will probably be past the timeline to sign him next year. And I can't see Boston not re-signing him quickly, probably before JBrown.
    - AReaves is going to be pricey and not sure he fits in w/the Spurs. Not opposed but I think he overperformed this year. Lakers will overspend for him for sure.
    - CMartin, he did well when he got minutes, but has like 2 yrs left after this year I believe. We will see how he plays w/Herro returns.
    I agree about DWhite (I'd really like DWhite back, though, but I think you're right, he doesn't fit the timeline) and AReaves. I think Reaves may have overperformed.

I'd love to get Caleb Martin, though. I don't know if I am remembering right, but I thought during game 7, Reggie Miller kept saying "cha-ching" every time he made a bucket then saying that he's going to get a bag of money, so I assumed he was a free agent, or am I remembering wrong? Was Reggie talking about someone else such as Gabe Vincent?

As for the roster construction, this is a very hard thing to determine this early. It really might be worth giving it a season to see how it goes, but also getting the right players earlier on could make a big difference to the development of Victor and the team. I am really not sure what direction to go in yet.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember the Spurs beating Denver last time they played them. I think Jokic had a monster game 37, 11, 11 and Murray had something like 20+ as well, but we still won. I wasn't able to watch the game, but was pleasantly surprised seeing that we won against them. Not sure how hard Denver played that game, but I remember being very encourage with the win thinking the Spurs are pretty good when close to full strength.

I agree about DWhite (I'd really like DWhite back, though, but I think you're right, he doesn't fit the timeline) and AReaves. I think Reaves may have overperformed.

I'd love to get Caleb Martin, though. I don't know if I am remembering right, but I thought during game 7, Reggie Miller kept saying "cha-ching" every time he made a bucket then saying that he's going to get a bag of money, so I assumed he was a free agent, or am I remembering wrong? Was Reggie talking about someone else such as Gabe Vincent?

As for the roster construction, this is a very hard thing to determine this early. It really might be worth it giving it a season to see how it goes, but also getting the right players earlier on could make a big difference to the development of Victor and the team. I am really not sure what direction to go in yet.
    No I think Miller was just clueless on CMartin's contract details. He's definitely under contract though for a few more years, just signed it last year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Chuck was saying he just made himself a ton of money and should have beaten Butler for MVP of series. The only issue is he is 27 years old I believe so not in the rebuilding range.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyrie anyone?

Why tf would we want that cancerous turd on our team?

As far as Klay goes - too old and too expensive. We don't need to overpay geezers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyrie anyone?

Branham may end up being a Klay-type player at way less cost and way more future ( , even that Champagnie guy may be cheap Klay).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the spurs dont really have to worry about money until wemby's 2nd contract. we can overpay a guy like Reaves for 4 years, and none of his money will overlap with victor's real money (assuming he pans out as expected)

our big contract right now is keldon and his deal is frontloaded. the cap is going to continue to steadily rise as well, and its not like we're giving out max deals that are pinned to the cap

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The new CBA will kill any thoughts on overpaying role bench players like Reaves

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, for teams that are approaching the tax line and already have at least 2 guys maxed

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The max the Lakers can pay Reaves is 4yrs $50 million. If he is getting overpaid then it is likely with someone else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Branham may end up being a Klay-type player at way less cost and way more future ( , even that Champagnie guy may be cheap Klay).
    Those people don’t have the locker room experience the way Klay does. We need to surround Wemby with a winner and a pro. Heck all of our young talent need that. We don’t have one on our roster. Can Branham bring the same production as Klay? I doubt it but let’s say that he does, Branham doesn’t bring nearly the same value as Klay. You can’t fake championship pedigree. For the older posters, it’s like the value Mario Ellie brought to the team. I think Klay brings that same toughness, same professionalism, and same moment is never too big at ude.

Also who give a flip if we overpay for a vet when we have money to spare for the foreseeable future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those people don’t have the locker room experience the way Klay does. We need to surround Wemby with a winner and a pro. Heck all of our young talent need that. We don’t have one on our roster. Can Branham bring the same production as Klay? I doubt it but let’s say that he does, Branham doesn’t bring nearly the same value as Klay. You can’t fake championship pedigree. For the older posters, it’s like the value Mario Ellie brought to the team. I think Klay brings that same toughness, same professionalism, and same moment is never too big at ude.

Also who give a flip if we overpay for a vet when we have money to spare for the foreseeable future.
    I'd rather see a bunch of young guys grow up and become friends and become winners together (kinda like Klay, himself, did).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Core players to build around who are untouchable right now:
    -Wemby
    -Sochan

Could be a solid contributor on a playoff team:
    - Keldon Johnson

Could be solid contributors IF THEY STAY HEALTHY:
    - Vassell
    - Collins

Promising Young Prospect:
    - Malakai Branham - We can easily see what he might become (Rip Hamilton anyone?)

Might stay awhile because we desperately need PG:
    - Tre Jones

Homerun swing:
    - Wesley - Tick Tock, show something soon or you'll be drafted over

Everyone Else:
    Everyone else is only worth discussing in the short term as good pieces to help develop Wemby or as trade pieces

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -Wemby
    -Sochan

- Keldon Johnson

- Vassell
    - Collins

- Malakai Branham - We can easily see what he might become (Rip Hamilton anyone?)

- Tre Jones

Homerun swing:

Everyone Else:
    Everyone else is only worth discussing in the short term as good pieces to help develop Wemby or as trade pieces
    I think Wembanyama is the only untouchable..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -Wemby
    -Sochan

- Keldon Johnson

- Vassell
    - Collins

- Tre Jones

Homerun swing:

Everyone Else:
    Wemby

Vassell
    Sochan

Keldon

The rest

That's my list.

Vassell, if healthy, is a fit with anyone. Good defender, good 3pt shooter, can create a bit too.

Sochan is a great fit on defense, and his mobility and playmaking on offense are great tools too, the only question mark would be his shooting.

Keldon, I don't know, just doesn't seem to have the intangibles.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe in a few years someone like that will be available and looking to for a better situation. We'd be looking at a disgruntled star primary initiator, young enough to be in Wemby's timeline, on a poorly managed franchise. Maybe even Slovenian.

Technically doesn't have to be a PG, just a player with good handles who can take advantage if the defense hedges hard on the shot. But, yes, if you have a dual threat, a Harden type, then it comes close to unstoppable.

Wembanyama doesn't have to necessarily be the roll guy, or the lob threat can be someone else, Sochan, for example, when the defense has to hedge an extra guy on the pick and roll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not getting the concept that Wemby would be unstoppable in the pick and roll, so therefore we necessarily need a PG who can shoot. At 7'5", he's going to create a mismatch with literally any and every switch, which means that same idea works with the defenders of a 6'6" SG, a 6'8" SF, or even a 6'9" small ball center. I'd rather have him operate that P&R with a taller wing with some handles, which would demand the attention of two taller defenders, leaving the rest of the floor to be defended by three defenders, two of whom would be the opposing PG + SG, i.e., the two shortest guys on the court. This opens up the offense for everybody. All analogies are out the window when Jordan's involved, but I always thought people didn't credit the Bulls enough for starting two 6'6" SGs in their best backcourt, pairing Ron Harper with MJ, then bringing a more traditional PG off the bench. They started every game with a big size advantage in their backcourt. The last thing I want the Spurs to do (especially defensively) is follow the mistakes of Utah with Gobert, who seemed to think that having him as the anchor back in the paint meant you could get away with putting two or three undersized players in front of him. I'd much prefer they take VW's huge size advantage at whatever position he's at and add to it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The last thing I want the Spurs to do (especially defensively) is follow the mistakes of Utah with Gobert, who seemed to think that having him as the anchor back in the paint meant you could get away with putting two or three undersized players in front of him. I'd much prefer they take VW's huge size advantage at whatever position he's at and add to it.
    People make it sound like it's just easy to build a team of two-way players with positional size.

Gobert and Mitc unexpectedly and quickly emerged as stars, limiting their draft capital and financial flexibility. As the team around them that skewed big and defensive ran into a hard ceiling, they went the opposite direction not because they were dumb, but because it was the best they could do to attempt to address their needs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People make it sound like it's just easy to build a team of two-way players with positional size.

Gobert and Mitc unexpectedly and quickly emerged as stars, limiting their draft capital and financial flexibility. As the team around them that skewed big and defensive ran into a hard ceiling, they went the opposite direction not because they were dumb, but because it was the best they could do to attempt to address their needs.

I don't think it's easy at all. 29 out of 30 teams don't win a championship every season. But when you sign on with (what I view as) players that limit the ceiling, it only makes it that much harder, and for me two of those archetypes are definitely an undersized SG or a high usage rate smallish PG who isn't a great 3pt shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was a good read and I understand the FO might be cautious about handing out contracts. Vassell seems like a keeper. I guess it will be interesting to see who wins out as the starting PG. Tre might not be a good enough scorer for a contending team I understand. Seems like a strong back-up though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is why a few are high on Brook Lopez, who not only is a good fit for Wemby but has that locker room presence. Vucevic is another option for a much cheaper price.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agree on all points. Mario Elie was the best signing the Spurs ever made, IMO. Jerome Kersey and Will Perdue also had deep playoff experience. Overpaying for a vet isn't a big deal at all. The biggest problem the Spurs have right now is they have SO MANY young guys who look promising. Their only option may be to sign upgrades to existing vets and jettison them.

I think Malaki is going to be special, but if you want to win, you need vets who have done it to teach the young guys. Whether their skillset overlaps is irrelevant.

Thread Information