Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smh the “coaching staff just needs to make sure Wemby gets the ball at all times” genius basketball takes are going to age poorly when Popovich is doing the same thing. Basketball is a 5 man sport. And Wemby is not a basketball god who can do everything by himself. Even Jordan didnt do that.
    Yesterday's game denied the ball to Wemby and took advantage of his teammates. There isn't a fix for that. Wemby will have far better teammates this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we had Trent, we could have a solid rotation of 1-3 in Tre, Brenham, Trent, Vassell, Keldon and McDermott.

Keldon could move to 4 on small ball occasions.
    Too small overall and they don't need a wing (primarily SG) chucker/gunner, who's a limited creator for self and a virtually nonexistent one for others.

The Magic can have him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    THing with Gary Trent is he does absolutely nothing beside shoot. No output whatsoever, next to nil. That's a lot of jack for a guy who just shoots.

Both he and Devonte Graham were popped with second round picks. You can find these players without paying through the nose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell may be helped by Wemby more by Wemby drawing defense away from the basket. Vassell clearly prefers the short jumper with a move from outside the arc to get that shot. His career 3pt avg over his 3 years is slightly over 36%. That is marginally better than the minimum acceptable average of 33%. I don't think he is going to develop much more as an outside threat, although he has moved his average up a little each year. Most attribute this to his increased strength, but we'll see if he tends to be a short range shooter in the future. I remember that the most vocal critics of DeRozen harped on his lack of an outside shot, although he was a prolific scorer from short range and an All Star.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell may be helped by Wemby more by Wemby drawing defense away from the basket. Vassell clearly prefers the short jumper with a move from outside the arc to get that shot. His career 3pt avg over his 3 years is slightly over 36%. That is marginally better than the minimum acceptable average of 33%. I don't think he is going to develop much more as an outside threat, although he has moved his average up a little each year. Most attribute this to his increased strength, but we'll see if he tends to be a short range shooter in the future. I remember that the most vocal critics of DeRozen harped on his lack of an outside shot, although he was a prolific scorer from short range and an All Star.
    Vassell shot his percentage despite being at the bottom of the league in open shots. You don't think playing with Victor Wembanyama will improve the quality of his open threes?

EDIT: the reason people criticized Derozen is that he flat refused to shoot threes, to the detriment of the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his 3-point percentage is that low because most of his shots are contested

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .347 2.4
    .361 5.4
    .387 7.0

Those numbers are, by year, his 3G% and atts per game. I don’t think his 3 point shot is anything short of a powerful weapon at this point, if you follow the trend line. He shot over 40% both years at FSU, and is an 80% FT shooter. You’re worried about the wrong things.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .347 2.4
    .361 5.4
    .387 7.0

Those numbers are, by year, his 3G% and atts per game. I don’t think his 3 point shot is anything short of a powerful weapon at this point, if you follow the trend line. He shot over 40% both years at FSU, and is an 80% FT shooter. You’re worried about the wrong things.
    I've only got two DV concerns 1) health/injury and 2) commitment on D... that's it...and I'm not overly concerned about the latter...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been a while since this thread was reassessed in light of things like trades, rumors. rumors about free agents, new draft info, etc. I still think that it is wrong to go into the season with KJ as the starting SF. What about trading him as part of a package to move up into a second high draft pick if that's where the FO wants to go (per recent TimVP post). IF DV can handle it, backed up by Sochan and ??? , then this may be the best time to use him as trade bait.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does Devin Vassell compare to someone like Khris Middleton at the same age on both offense and defense? Right now I see an improving 3 point shooter with a consistent 2:1 A:TO implying that he also has potential as an primary/secondary initiator moving forward. Middleton might be a reasonable projection for him moving forward meaning that you've probably got a pretty good second option with borderline all star production in his prime.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been a while since this thread was reassessed in light of things like trades, rumors. rumors about free agents, new draft info, etc. I still think that it is wrong to go into the season with KJ as the starting SF. What about trading him as part of a package to move up into a second high draft pick if that's where the FO wants to go (per recent TimVP post). IF DV can handle it, backed up by Sochan and ??? , then this may be the best time to use him as trade bait.
    Only if is a clear upgrade at the wing. Wing for guard does not make sense given the demand to fill that spot throughout the league. 3rd year KJ is better than anything available out there.

Thread Information