Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And you are looking at your salary cap, realizing you're about to give $500,000,000-$600,000,000 to two players who couldn't beat a hobbled 8th seed as the core of your entire future franchise.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marky mark wahlberg was on your “gone fishin” tnt segment along with those two chokers…

thats another thing to ponder for the celts

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    And you are looking at your salary cap, realizing you're about to give $500,000,000-$600,000,000 to two players who couldn't beat a hobbled 8th seed as the core of your entire future franchise.

But they got you to game 7 of the ECF which means they paid for themselves. There are only 2 other teams who went further than game 7 of the conference finals. So in that regard they have ROI.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But they got you to game 7 of the ECF which means they paid for themselves. There are only 2 other teams who went further than game 7 of the conference finals. So in that regard they have ROI.
    I mean, I guess. They don't count ECFs in Boston.

Also, paying them can and very likely does put a massive ceiling on the mid to long term future of the franchise. Cause unless you think they're capable of ringing, paying them that money hamstrings most of any roster moves you can make down the line.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I mean, I guess. They don't count ECFs in Boston.

Also, paying them can and very likely does put a massive ceiling on the mid to long term future of the franchise. Cause unless you think they're capable of ringing, paying them that money hamstrings most of any roster moves you can make down the line.
    The fans might not count it in their boasting fights with the Lakers fans, but the front office counts the tickets and merchandise sales. That team is capable of ringing. If this series doesn't clearly illustrate the difference great coaching makes, nothing could. They need an iden y. Otherwise every big name star other than those on the Nuggets and Heat are not worth their salaries.
    Last edited by Tyronn Lue; 05-29-2023 at 11:48 PM.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Smith and Horford got old quick. 1 needs to go.

Hate how Horford was used. Jokic will show how a good passing Big humiliates this defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

For the love of all that is good, I'd like to see some NBA team get rid of / lose all their prima donnas and have a team of hard working *scrubs* play team ball and make the Finals.
    I would say Miami but not with Butler Bam and Lowry all doing 30+ million. Lowry 28, whatever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smith and Horford got old quick. 1 needs to go.

Hate how Horford was used. Jokic will show how a good passing Big humiliates this defense.
    Horford isn’t the post player he used to be

And he’s never been in the same stratosphere as Jokic in the passing department

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the love of all that is good, I'd like to see some NBA team get rid of / lose all their prima donnas and have a team of hard working *scrubs* play team ball and make the Finals.
    I would say Miami but not with Butler Bam and Lowry all doing 30+ million. Lowry 28, whatever.
    Spurs 14 and Mavs 11 would probably be the closest to that approximation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fans might not count it in their boasting fights with the Lakers fans, but the front office counts the tickets and merchandise sales. That team is capable of ringing. If this series doesn't clearly illustrate the difference great coaching makes, nothing could. They need an iden y. Otherwise every big name star other than those on the Nuggets and Heat are not worth their salaries.
    Sure, but with the territory also comes expectation. Fans are going to be fuming over this until the team gets to the Finals again. Boston brass might care about income, but having a fanbase who's consistently irate won't do great things for your brand, and while they might like they immediacy of money, they also care about the brand.

And you're telling me you're going to spend $300,000,000 on a guy who can't dribble and had the worst game of his career when his team needed him that badly? They might be okay financially but contention wise? There's no way you can convince me that Boston is a le threat in the next 5 years.

Also, let's not pretend like this wasn't one of the most historically embarrassing performances in NBA history. It's the kind of thing that puts a cloud over an organization. Houston and Philly haven't recovered from it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brown won't be a Celtic next season tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brown won't be a Celtic next season tbh.
    It's tough though. He's currently on a big contract and due to get a huge bag.

Who's going to trade for him? He's a massive risk with apparently a very low upside. He's got a ton of baggage from this entire playoff run, and anyone who picks him up knows he's going to be looking for a supermax even if he doesn't play incredibly well.

And if you don't resign him as Boston, well, it's cap space they don't have just walking out the door and you have no way of replacing it since they're already so far over even without Brown's contract. They're really ed.
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 05-30-2023 at 12:06 PM.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And if you don't resign him as Boston, well, it's cap space they don't have just walking out the door and since you have no way of replacing it since they're already so far over even without Brown's contract. They're really ed.
    Overpaying players has always been bad, but the new CBA is going to make it much worse. At least for teams that are trying to spend and contend with another max player already on the roster, which can push them up to that dreaded second apron.

You're right that Boston is in a real dilemma here. Overpaying Brown leads to long term problems, but letting him walk doesn't open up any cap space and weakens the team in the short term. They might have to do a sign-and-trade for 50 cents on the dollar to keep a decent team together without ing their cap/tax/apron situation through 2028.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean does Boston have to offer him the supermax? Can’t they just offer him a 4 year deal instead? Do what the Suns did to Ayton and just match an offer? Something like that. I don’t pretend to know the CBA.

Brown needs to learn how to dribble. Maybe Danny Green can teach him

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count

Who's going to trade for him? He's a massive risk with apparently a very low upside. He's got a ton of baggage from this entire playoff run, and anyone who picks him up knows he's going to be looking for a supermax even if he doesn't play incredibly well.

And if you don't resign him as Boston, well, it's cap space they don't have just walking out the door and since you have no way of replacing it since they're already so far over even without Brown's contract. They're really ed.
    Right up Houston's alley.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brown is compromised, period.

Don't believe for a second those were mistakes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean does Boston have to offer him the supermax? Can’t they just offer him a 4 year deal instead? Do what the Suns did to Ayton and just match an offer? Something like that. I don’t pretend to know the CBA.

Brown needs to learn how to dribble. Maybe Danny Green can teach him
    They can.

At that point about 7-8 teams around the league with cap space to burn are going to look at their roster and see that Brown, incredibly flawed player or not, is an upgrade over, say, Kelly Oubre Jr., and the desire to sign him will be high. Dude has some major issues but he's still a better guard than quite a few starters in the league. I think at the very least, someone is going to pay him more than Boston reasonably can if they try to duck the supermax extension.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And if you don't resign him as Boston, well, it's cap space they don't have just walking out the door and you have no way of replacing it since they're already so far over even without Brown's contract. They're really ed.
    I see a S&T to Portland for the #3 pick tbh.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Brown is compromised, period.

Don't believe for a second those were mistakes.
    I don't believe this. Brown is looking at 300m+, He'd be a hard one to buy out. I'd not be surprised to learn there was something on the floor that wasn't right (other than the Celtics) or something with the ball. These guys lost the handle on almost every trip down the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd not be surprised to learn there was something on the floor that wasn't right (other than the Celtics) or something with the ball. These guys lost the handle on almost every trip down the floor.
    At one point the turnovers were
    Brown 8
    Entire Heat lineup 7.

So, no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe this. Brown is looking at 300m+, He'd be a hard one to buy out. I'd not be surprised to learn there was something on the floor that wasn't right (other than the Celtics) or something with the ball. These guys lost the handle on almost every trip down the floor.
    there are magnets in the ball. Everybody knows that

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Boston's the only one who can offer him a supermax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I was Boston I would just offer him a 4 year max. You still made it to the ECF and the East still sucks. Realistically this is Miami’s last run and Mil got super old really fast. There’s really nobody else in contention.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When is the "got to the ECF five out of seven years" banner unveiling in Boston? I'm sure the fans are excited for that. Supermax contracts for everyone!

Thread Information