Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    rofl yeah I've visited Atlanta a couple times and it's literally the exact same city
    Yup. Agreed. Though the niggies are much more spread out throughout the suburbs these days in the Atlanta metro compared to places like Denton/Collin and even Tarrant county which still have strong white majorities. Dallas county is similar to Fulton county but DFW doesn't have a Dekalb clone. Even Tarrant is still much whiter than Cobb county GA. Hence the partisan lean of the Metroplex being much more purple than the Atlantaplex where the democrats run dictator margins.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    sounds like you were - 1 in a million lucky as !
    Turned out to be a pretty weak tornado thankfully that didn't do a ton of damage in my neighborhood other than the house across the alley from me. But was scary as at the time to hear a bunch of hail thrown through the window at high speed and then immediately after feel the air getting sucked up from the rest of the house through the hallway we were in and thinking oh this er is right over us.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Turned out to be a pretty weak tornado thankfully that didn't do a ton of damage in my neighborhood other than the house across the alley from me. But was scary as at the time to hear a bunch of hail thrown through the window at high speed and then immediately after feel the air getting sucked up from the rest of the house through the hallway we were in and thinking oh this er is right over us.
    it is scary- did you feel…

was the air “charged?” Like electricity in the air, hard to explain…but i distinctly remember my lone encounter with a nearby tornado as a kid travelin…

we stopped at a rest area in Kansas and there was a pending thunderstorm and the wind picked up and we had to rush back to the car…
    as we neared the car- this ing whoosh of air just scared the crap out of me and as we looked west from the freeway- we spotted the funnel about maybe 300-500 yards on the horizon moving sideways
    it was still daylight but due to the storm, the clouds covered everything and it got dark really fast and looking west where the sun had been setting it was like a sliver of light with dark clouds covering the rest of the sky…and thats where we clearly saw the funnel spinning and dancing and moving fast

it kept moving like -left to right luckily and never got any closer but the air was pregnant with a charged electricity feeling- my hair on my arms stood up

just weird and scary for a teen…lol

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    it is scary- did you feel…

was the air “charged?” Like electricity in the air, hard to explain…but i distinctly remember my lone encounter with a nearby tornado as a kid travelin…

we stopped at a rest area in Kansas and there was a pending thunderstorm and the wind picked up and we had to rush back to the car…
    as we neared the car- this ing whoosh of air just scared the crap out of me and as we looked west from the freeway- we spotted the funnel about maybe 300-500 yards on the horizon moving sideways
    it was still daylight but due to the storm, the clouds covered everything and it got dark really fast and looking west where the sun had been setting it was like a sliver of light with dark clouds covering the rest of the sky…and thats where we clearly saw the funnel spinning and dancing and moving fast

it kept moving like -left to right luckily and never got any closer but the air was pregnant with a charged electricity feeling- my hair on my arms stood up

just weird and scary for a teen…lol
    I didn't particularly feel any kind of static electricity or anything. Just happened really quickly. It was gone before any of us could even say anything when it passed over. I was about ten and scared less that moment though. Got the tornado warning siren that I had never even heard until then blaring all over the neighborhood and then all of a sudden could feel that thing directly overhead, could hear it, and once it passed walked into my parents bedroom to see a bunch of hail against the opposite wall so the stuff came in pretty parallel to the ground which only makes sense if from pretty fast rotation. Never saw it since it came at night.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I didn't particularly feel any kind of static electricity or anything. Just happened really quickly. It was gone before any of us could even say anything when it passed over. I was about ten and scared less that moment though. Got the tornado warning siren that I had never even heard until then blaring all over the neighborhood and then all of a sudden could feel that thing directly overhead, could hear it, and once it passed walked into my parents bedroom to see a bunch of hail against the opposite wall so the stuff came in pretty parallel to the ground which only makes sense if from pretty fast rotation. Never saw it since it came at night.
    The "night nadoes" are the most dangerous and deadly and also the most unfair. But it's par for course in the Deep South, I guess. At least in the Great Plains and Northern states (corn belt / rust belt) they pretty much exclusively happen in the daytime (afternoon hours).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Adult chuck e cheese >>>>>> ty bars, lowlifes, drunks, smoker, potential for getting shot imo
    I have a hard time believing you can't find any non- ty bars even in the Lewisville area, but I guess I don't know what your standard is. What kind of bars do other cities have that DFW is lacking?

Smoking is banned indoors in almost every area of DFW now. I think there might be some holdout burbs, but those are the ones you probably wouldn't be going to anyway.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I have a hard time believing you can't find any non- ty bars even in the Lewisville area, but I guess I don't know what your standard is. What kind of bars do other cities have that DFW is lacking?

Smoking is banned indoors in almost every area of DFW now. I think there might be some holdout burbs, but those are the ones you probably wouldn't be going to anyway.
    smoking banned indoors =/= practically everyone you meet in those places is a lowlife smoker with a ty job, especially the ugly wretched frumpy smoker females that go to those places... just because they go out for a smoke instead of smoking inside doesn't make them any less disgusting

Bars in general are just ty, and I don't really drink because I don't like the taste. I don't mind being drunk but I do drive a lot and take my car everywhere so drinking and driving is a no no but in general I don't like the taste of alcohol so I don't buy it and it's also way expensive at bars. Bars are just not my thing for all those reasons. Dance clubs are nice if you have a partner but everyone that goes there is paired up so you're a loser if you go in there as a solo male.

I prefer meeting people organically in a more healthy setting, where people aren't drunk and high and . Where people live a more active and healthy and generally diurnal lifestyle like me. Where the women are fit and healthy and educated, intellectual, and career oriented, and actually don't smoke.

I did the bar scene in my early 20s.... not for me. Now I go back to doing the things that made me happier as a teenager.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The west side is a pretty solid “pocket” from the Medical Center up to Garden Oaks.
    You mean Northwest side, no?

I know I've been away from San Antonio for awhile and it's changed dramatically the last 15 years, but there's no way anyone would associate the Medical Center with the west side of San Antonio.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green

I know I've been away from San Antonio for awhile and it's changed dramatically the last 15 years, but there's no way anyone would associate the Medical Center with the west side of San Antonio.
    What do you consider to be the west side? Like the ghetto good off Old Highway 90 by Edgewood all the way to roughly the Guadalupe Community Center / Lanier High School?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I prefer meeting people organically in a more healthy setting, where people aren't drunk and high and . Where people live a more active and healthy and generally diurnal lifestyle like me. Where the women are fit and healthy and educated, intellectual, and career oriented, and actually don't smoke.
    Plenty of that in Dallas in my experience. Where have you found this to more often be the case?

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Plenty of that in Dallas in my experience. Where have you found this to more often be the case?
    Pretty much any decent sized suburb / mid sized city that isn't in a confederate or southern state.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    NYC, Columbus Ohio, one of the nicer areas in Michigan (Ann Arbor/Grand Rapids), Colorado (the girls are VERY fit there, but unfortunately they tend to be taken because there's 115 men for every 100 women there), Wisconsin, even Omaha. I'm sure California has a lot of hotties too but they're just outnumbered a lot by men, as much if not worse than Colorado.

In Texas and most of the southern states the chicks tend to be fat and/or smokers. Tatted up. Got pregnant young and have a ty career and no college education and are "trying" to carve out a life for themselves. Recurring theme in the Deep South and Smoker Belt / Bible Belt.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I was talking about Houston. FL was claiming downtown was surrounded by a ring of poverty except for a couple of pockets. I was claiming that one of the pockets was a contiguous swath running from the near southwest (Medical Center) to six miles north of downtown (Garden Oaks). He called that a “tunnel” (even though said tunnel extends all the way out past 610 to the west) but I decided that arguing further about whether or not being downtown being surrounded on two-and-a-half to three sides by entrenched poverty cons utes a “ring” was pointless.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Double post

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    Come to San Diego if you have good funds and enjoy beach/hikes. Very respectful city full of transplants. Most conservative big city in California. Negative is always in a car between places but lesser traffic than LA.

Mexican culture undertone here. Beach vibe is strong. Low crime & problems. Overall clean. Some argue it lacks a culture but you'll be too busy enjoying yourself to complain.
    Last edited by FrostKing; 06-07-2023 at 02:33 AM.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Come to San Diego if you have good funds and enjoy beach/hikes. Very respectful city full of transplants. Most conservative big city in California. Negative is always in a car between places but lesser traffic than LA.

Mexican culture undertone here. Beach vibe is strong. Low crime & problems. Overall clean. Some argue it lacks a culture but you'll be too busy enjoying yourself to complain.
    Letting the Chargers walk out of town was stupid. The big stadium in Inglewood is stupid. Qualcomm was just fine.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

I love San Diego. Has most of the positives of LA, eg amazing weather, nice beaches, not too far for great hiking in the mountains but without LA traffic. It has the best air & space museum I have ever seen too; liked it much more than the Smithsonian's Air & Space museum.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is a good start. Need a bit more information though.

Have you been to USA before - what did you like/dislike most.

Are you looking to possibly set roots here meaning you want affordable place that allows you to stockpile savings. But also means commuting to social areas

Or are you looking to enjoy your current life stage with the GF thus an expensive booming metro area is a must

USA has alot of options so finding a comfortable mix is possible.
    Thanks! Budapest is great in that it is a capital city but a small one at that, meaning everything you would need is fairly nearby i.e. 15-30 mins tops with the public transportation. I know Europe in comparison to the US has more affinity towards public transport, whereas in the US there is a big need to own/have a car. We also like it very much here because of the diversity and variety of cultures and people we're able to meet and interact.

We're not European though -- we're actually latinos, so I guess we're more familiar with what the US culture is like.

We're also young 27-30 ish, so we're definitely not ready or eager to go to the suburbs just yet. From a cost perspective I think California is ruled out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I like this advice

Still confused why OP chose Texas and what's his prior experience in the USA

I remember back in the day a very ethnic Chinese rich aunt of my GFs (at the time) moved to Texas to live with an American husband and it took her a while to adjust. Although Texas has alot to offer even arguably Top10 State, I think someone new to America and no experience with Mexican cuisine/culture would find it difficult to start off.
    I didn't choose Texas, the offer has been placed there but at the moment it is 100% remote with travel. So I've been told I have some flexibility to choose from.

I have some experience with America coming as a tourist for a few times (3-4) and I've been to Miami, Orlando, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland and NYC, but it's a very different perspective going as a tourist than actually living there. I guess what is appealing from Texas would be low taxes, being close to the Spurs and we prefer being in a warmer climate. We're not really used to having seasons coming from Latin America.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hungary seems like one of the best places to live in Europe. Do at least half of people speak decent English?
    In terms of quality of life it is quite good. Transportation system works fine, lots of job opportunities, city is gorgeous, weather is not as extreme as other parts in Europe, it's also relatively in the center so it's good for moving around.

What sucks is being paid in HUF and not in EUR. Lots of big companies moved here along to reduce labour costs, so basically they pay cheap, which makes it hard to move around and travel.

In Budapest, half the people speak decent English, but it's not as easy to communicate and learning Hungarian is hard as . Up there with Mandarin. So doing everyday like grocery shopping or running an errand to the bank can be very annoying.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    NYC, Columbus Ohio, one of the nicer areas in Michigan (Ann Arbor/Grand Rapids), Colorado (the girls are VERY fit there, but unfortunately they tend to be taken because there's 115 men for every 100 women there), Wisconsin, even Omaha. I'm sure California has a lot of hotties too but they're just outnumbered a lot by men, as much if not worse than Colorado.

In Texas and most of the southern states the chicks tend to be fat and/or smokers. Tatted up. Got pregnant young and have a ty career and no college education and are "trying" to carve out a life for themselves. Recurring theme in the Deep South and Smoker Belt / Bible Belt.
    I guess Brooklyn, Boulder, Colorado, or Denver are also options, but we're also looking for a shorter way home in comparison to Budapest which is 15+ hours away from an emergency in our country.

I guess I'm biased a bit because of the chance to have the Spurs fairly near.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

We have a good US friend who is originally from San Diego and recommended the place + a coworker also recommended it to me. Thing is about cost of living. I guess we would be able to afford it if/when my gf would get a job there.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I guess Brooklyn, Boulder, Colorado, or Denver are also options, but we're also looking for a shorter way home in comparison to Budapest which is 15+ hours away from an emergency in our country.

I guess I'm biased a bit because of the chance to have the Spurs fairly near.
    If cost of living is an issue I would recommend West Memphis, Arkansas. Cost of living is among the very cheapest in the entire USA. It's just across the river from Memphis, Tennessee which is near the geographic center of the country and has airport access to everywhere and is extremely affordable to live in. Just buy your groceries on the Arkansas side because TN has a grocery tax. Also a short flight from San Antonio and the Spurs play the Grizzlies 4 times per year because they're in the same division so you're guaranteed to see them at minimum twice per year. It's closer to Budapest than Denver or Texas or California, too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We have a good US friend who is originally from San Diego and recommended the place + a coworker also recommended it to me. Thing is about cost of living. I guess we would be able to afford it if/when my gf would get a job there.
    The cheapest cost of living in Texas is in the Rio Grande Valley, Wichita Falls, and Amarillo. Really anywhere with low housing costs. The dramatic increase in home prices coupled with high property taxes has really driven the big Texas cities down the list.

The Deep South also has cheap living.

If your income will support you in any of the big Texas cities, then the advice given in the thread stands regarding how to choose among them.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If cost of living is an issue I would recommend West Memphis, Arkansas. Cost of living is among the very cheapest in the entire USA. It's just across the river from Memphis, Tennessee which is near the geographic center of the country and has airport access to everywhere and is extremely affordable to live in. Just buy your groceries on the Arkansas side because TN has a grocery tax. Also a short flight from San Antonio and the Spurs play the Grizzlies 4 times per year because they're in the same division so you're guaranteed to see them at minimum twice per year. It's closer to Budapest than Denver or Texas or California, too.
    Awesome, thanks!! Actually, I meant that Budapest is 15+ hours from our country. Being in the US is already a step in the right direction because we're from Latin America

Thread Information