Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Name
    Luck_The_Fakers
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    There are definitely good and bad places everywhere, tbh... Also, working for big corp sometimes means dealing with other type of problems, like internal politics, tone deaf management, etc.
    But, generally, if you have a good group of people around, and the place is good, and you like what you do, things click quickly. Plus you get to connect with other people that might reach out down the road.

I also had my own business and worked as a contractor for many years, but that also carries stress levels associated with what's my next gig going to be, etc. When you're younger, it might not matter much, but once you have a family, things change.

There's really not a single answer to this stuff, really depends on the person and situation.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    yeah IT can be one of those fields where it's best not to be known as the superstar, especially at a sh!t company where talent is at a premium. People will never leave you alone and you'll just get more and more dumped on your plate. But at certain places, going above and beyond has helped me acquire the additional skills that have helped me get better jobs in the future. my remote gig now was actually because I did great work for a client 4 years ago as a contractor, and they wanted to hire me full time agreeing to have me live anywhere when many of them are required to go onsite once a week and be in the area. Wouldn't have happened if I didn't bust my a$$ for them beforehand.

But yeah, I've worked at poorly managed, re factories where it's best just to lay low and job hop as soon as you can and forget about forming any kind of relationships rofl
    I just work from wherever wherever and don't give a . Since covid it's pretty hard for them to actually force the employees who have been remote literally over 3 years now to actually go back onsite to a new office so as an employee you can lie your ass off saying that you'd travel or relocate or whatever but they never actually care if you do or not

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    So, where did you and your family ultimately decide?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    So, where did you and your family ultimately decide?
    Hopefully not San Antonio, having another ing summer like last year is making me want to go back to LA despite having what looks to be another epic Spurs team in the making.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Hopefully not San Antonio, having another ing summer like last year is making me want to go back to LA despite having what looks to be another epic Spurs team in the making.
    It's going to be around 100 there in LA, a few days above that even in the next couple weeks. Though, probably less humidity, as the nights are low 70s instead of around 80 like here.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    It's going to be around 100 there in LA, a few days above that even in the next couple weeks. Though, probably less humidity, as the nights are low 70s instead of around 80 like here.
    Nope

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hey MM! We want to go and check out San Diego once we arrive in the US.

However our ability to move there depends on my fiancee's ability to get a job that allows us to live there -- can't afford it just with my job as it currently stands.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green

However our ability to move there depends on my fiancee's ability to get a job that allows us to live there -- can't afford it just with my job as it currently stands.
    San Diego has great weather most of the year, great beaches and great women. And a theme park. No more sports teams, though. Military bases. A little close for comfort to Mexico. Very expensive.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders

San Diego is great if you can afford it. Easily my favorite city in the US. Perfect weather, beaches, endless things to do, and the culture there is laid back.

Like I said before, Texas isn't bad outside of the big cities. Even then there's a wide range between them. San Antonio/Austin are ok, Houston is humid overall not bad but there is a 1% chance you will get shot everytime you go to your car. And then there's Dallas, TX, the Big D. It's up there with Mogadishu, Somalia and Baghdad, Iraq as one of the worst places in the world to live as far as overall quality of life goes IMO

Thread Information