Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Micic conversation has me looking at international ball. His team has a number of former NBA guys like Larkin, Bobois and Zizic (who is one of many players who have held the le of "The next Tim Duncan"). They also have Chris Singleton, whom many might remember as being the Patrick McCaw to Kawhi's DJM. Singleton's actually carved out a nice career in Europe as a defensive PF. I banged on the table for the Spurs to look at bringing him over a couple of times. That ship has fully sailed now.

That made me think of the many players connected to the Spurs who play overseas. I was pleased to see Livio Jean-Charles is having a nice career backup in *busted capillary* Nikola Miluntinov in Russia.

Adam Hanga is a gritty role-player at this point in his career. I couldn't easily find highlights of him last season. DeShaun Thomas is still around as well. He's still doing his poor-man's Keldon impression.

And then of course, there's this:

In terms of prospects, we've had some lean times as fans. It makes sense after we had so many years hoping for someone like Marcus Denmon or Cady Lalanne to grow into something that there are folks who keep trying to find a place for guys like Langford. But let it go. This is a different era. Real prospects are here now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For convenience, Denmon:

Thomas (yes, you do hear another former Spur's name if you watch the vid):

Hanga (whom I think would've been an okay NBA player had he and the Spurs worked something out):

I'm sure there are others out there. I had Cady in here until realizing that is an old video reposted for some reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Linton still hanging around?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember when ST thought Ryan Richards was gonna be a special player

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember having hopes for nearly every player mentioned. I also remember feeling foolish for predicting Kawhi might become an elite player due to his rebounding on this forum.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to put Luka next to wemby

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn't ST. It was one verbose poster who made him the second coming of Dirk Nowitzki.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    It wasn't ST. It was one verbose poster who made him the second coming of Dirk Nowitzki.
    Another Jimmer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was so long ago, I hope it wasn't me.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How's my homie Blossomgame doing tbh?

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    it was spurraider21 he kept posting that hanga/richards/cojo were the spurs future........

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thread idea. Few years back my wife and I were visiting Italy and I casually came across a local pro game with NBA Champion Austin Daye crushing it in the Italian league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CKSA also had one Nando de Colo no? Lots of Spurs connection there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know I had huge hopes for Richards and have been known to say in a paragraph what others will in a sentence. I don't know that I compared him to Dirk though. Dirk was a great shooter and very good scorer, but he didn't have much of a floor game like Richards showed (against people half his size, but still). Even today a Richards that translated would be pretty rare, but 13 years ago, it would've been unreal. There were legit reasons for hype. None of us had any idea dude was going to have zero worth ethic and would rather be the big fish in increasingly shrinking ponds than fight to make it in the NBA. I was one of the people who for a few years REALLY wanted Richards to sign with the big club in hopes that that would get him the development he needed. But then he signed and was cut within the same pre-season, and he didn't want to play in Austin. Ugh.

With guys like him and Thomas, I do think the modern conception of the d-league and two-way deals may have kept them in the league for a bit rather than instantly sending them to Europe. Adding those was a really good way to keep those cusp guys in the States while not putting the onus on them to give up money. I don't know ultimately how much it would've affected the team's performance, but if the two-way system had been around back in the day, we'd likely have a lot more data on the players in this thread, and maybe guys like Danny Green and Jeremy Lin would have never had a chance to break out on new teams since they'd've been stuck on two-way deals.
    Last edited by Chinook; 06-03-2023 at 10:55 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After Tony and Manu blew up (not to mention the foiled Scola pick), everyone was convinced that anything the Spurs touched was gold.

Spurs are still one of the top drafting and developing NBA teams, but obviously there have been some whiffs in there

Still, since 2004 and with an average first round position of like #25, the Spurs brought in Udrih, Mahinmi, Splitter, Hill, De Colo, Blair, Joseph, Anderson, Murray, White, Walker, Johnson, Vassell, etc. Not all those guys were Spurs for life, but still found a way make an impact on the league. We'll see how things go with Sochan, Branham, and Wesley.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still think Milutinov can have an NBA career, though Brooklyn might not be interested in bringing him to the NBA. According to Wikipedia his contract was over at the end of May and he has left CSKA, apparently a free agent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember liking Malik Hairston.

Then the Spurs just let him go and then he went overseas. He probably wouldn't have been anything special but it was better than watching 40 year old Finley, Bogans, and Mason play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember liking Malik Hairston.

Then the Spurs just let him go and then he went overseas. He probably wouldn't have been anything special but it was better than watching 40 year old Finley, Bogans, and Mason play.
    I was excited about Malik Hairston because the Spurs swingmen were so useless.

I thought Walt Williams was gonna be the next Magic Johnson. You can never tell who is going to live up to their potential and who is just going to be happy with the money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Linton Johnson III
    Adam Hanga
    Robertas Javtokas
    Victor Sanikidze
    Romain Sato
    James Gist
    Last edited by ace3g; 06-04-2023 at 12:42 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    milutinov

its like, what if nikola pekovic was much worse

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Georges Printezas

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Were the Spurs able to get Deshaun Thomas' phone number?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Richards looks slow and heavy

Thread Information