Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spotrac.com/news/2020-dr...dictions-1905/

Relevant to Spurs:

1. DEVIN VASSELL, SAN ANTONIO SPURS

Vassell suffered through an injury-plagued third season, but he improved nearly across the board. The Spurs locked up Keldon Johnson to a value deal last summer and will look to do the same with Vassell. This is another one where the five-year allowance for non-max deals in the CBA could be big.
    Prediction: Five years, $115 million, no options

Interesting to see that most rookies from this class are projected for no extension at all. Just a reminder that the draft is a crap shoot and the Spurs are actually pretty good at this .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe with max incentives and/or a player option in that last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell is going to be fire this year. If anyone stands to benefit from Wembanyama, Devin is going to get a ton of shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Relevant to Spurs:

Interesting to see that most rookies from this class are projected for no extension at all. Just a reminder that the draft is a crap shoot and the Spurs are actually pretty good at this . [/B][/FONT][/COLOR]
    I like that. The number is realistic. 5 years on a frontloaded contract would be great. 25, 25, 23, 22, 20 something like that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Relevant to Spurs:

Interesting to see that most rookies from this class are projected for no extension at all. Just a reminder that the draft is a crap shoot and the Spurs are actually pretty good at this . [/B][/FONT][/COLOR]
    It was an awful draft. If you go back and look at the top 10, only LaMelo is a hit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'd do 5/115 in a heartbeat. not sure vassell would.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was an awful draft. If you go back and look at the top 10, only LaMelo is a hit.
    Forgot about Anthony Edwards tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So let it be written...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forgot about Anthony Edwards tbh.
    He's an idiot. He'll be vastly overpaid for his productivity, and be known as an awful contract within 2 years.

I remember a game we played where he dunked, and stayed on that end while Tre got the inbounds pass, and got the Spurs an easy basket 5 on 4 while Ant Man was still flexing. If I were the GM, I'd be trying to trade his dumb ass.

Oh, and his failure to set the MN scoring record while being left in the game for half a dozen possessions to score 3 points.

NBA junk food.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's an idiot. He'll be vastly overpaid for his productivity, and be known as an awful contract within 2 years.

I remember a game we played where he dunked, and stayed on that end while Tre got the inbounds pass, and got the Spurs an easy basket 5 on 4 while Ant Man was still flexing. If I were the GM, I'd be trying to trade his dumb ass.

Oh, and his failure to set the MN scoring record while being left in the game for half a dozen possessions to score 3 points.

NBA junk food.
    Lamelo has been empty stats too so far; Charlotte won as many games with him as without iirc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Halliburton is the class of that draft. Still think Eduards will end up being cool, but he needs to be separated from KATs loser ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5 yrs 115million seems great if the Spurs aren’t worried about his knee

Notable that the best players on that draft went:

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top 15 in B-R VORP

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not an extension, but Tre Jones was in the 2020 draft class and Hollinger put is FA value at just over $20M in his article today.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not an extension, but Tre Jones was in the 2020 draft class and Hollinger put is FA value at just over $20M in his article today.
    Ugh. Tre is good but not $20M good. At least with his current inability to consistently hit threes. If he can get that percentage into the high 30s he would be worth $20M imo.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will certainly have him in the gym before they make that decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheeeeeeeeeesh, from who?!?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn that seems high. I can see 12M as upper limit though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excerpt from referenced Hollinger article:

14. Tre Jones, PG, 23, San Antonio (restricted): $20,909,844

This valuation is perhaps a bit surprising. Jones is young and low-key had a solid year for an overmatched San Antonio squad, but the question still lingers about whether he can be more than a low-mistake setup guy. Jones has a solid floater game and a ridiculous assist-turnover ratio, but he’s only 6-1 and shoots 27.1 percent career from 3. He probably projects better as a high-level backup than as a long-term starter, which would justify a salary in the $50 million range over three years but not as high as this BORD$ valuation wants to go.
    Jones is a restricted free agent on a rebuilding Spurs team with $35 million in projected cap space, so rival teams are unlikely to view him as a gettable target unless they go crazy on an offer sheet. This could mute his market a bit, but the other angle for San Antonio is that it could sign him to a declining money contract. The Spurs don’t really need the extra cap room right now, so they can afford to start him at a high number, but signing for three or four years with 8 percent salary declines could provide great value in the out years.
    For example, a four-year, $70 million deal that starts him at $20 million in 2023-24 might seem expensive, but in his age-27 season in 2026-27, the Spurs would pay him just $15 million when the cap could very well be up to $178 million (if the 10 percent annual limits in the next CBA are hit).”

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So $70M/4 for Tre and $105M/5 for Devin. That values Devin at $3.5 million per year more than Tre. That doesn’t seem right to me. Either Tre is too high or Devin too low.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn that seems high. I can see 12M as upper limit though.
    I think it's way to high myself, but it probably does mean that his value is a good bit higher than I would have thought. I would have pegged it at around $12M/per as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody will offer Tre Jones that kind of offer sheet lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I the only one who doesn't think Vassell was really injured that bad this year? I think he probably had a sore knee, but I think he DNP's had more to do with a quiet tank job and letting him rest. I won't go so far as to say they were purposely sitting him to highlight KJ for a potential trade... But I do believe they wanted to lose and they used his very slightly sore knee as an excuse to keep him out and keep the losses coming. Now they're going to lock in their healthy starting two guard for 5 years to see him develop alongside Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spurs fans have a very limited idea of what players make in the NBA.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excerpt from referenced Hollinger article:

14. Tre Jones, PG, 23, San Antonio (restricted): $20,909,844

This valuation is perhaps a bit surprising. Jones is young and low-key had a solid year for an overmatched San Antonio squad, but the question still lingers about whether he can be more than a low-mistake setup guy. Jones has a solid floater game and a ridiculous assist-turnover ratio, but he’s only 6-1 and shoots 27.1 percent career from 3. He probably projects better as a high-level backup than as a long-term starter, which would justify a salary in the $50 million range over three years but not as high as this BORD$ valuation wants to go.
    Jones is a restricted free agent on a rebuilding Spurs team with $35 million in projected cap space, so rival teams are unlikely to view him as a gettable target unless they go crazy on an offer sheet. This could mute his market a bit, but the other angle for San Antonio is that it could sign him to a declining money contract. The Spurs don’t really need the extra cap room right now, so they can afford to start him at a high number, but signing for three or four years with 8 percent salary declines could provide great value in the out years.
    For example, a four-year, $70 million deal that starts him at $20 million in 2023-24 might seem expensive, but in his age-27 season in 2026-27, the Spurs would pay him just $15 million when the cap could very well be up to $178 million (if the 10 percent annual limits in the next CBA are hit).”
    Thanks for the excerpt.

I'm afraid that Tre wouldn't take a declining deal because if the Spurs want to re-sign him at the end of that deal, and if the Spurs are over the cap at that point (as they likely will be), under the current CBA Tre's new deal could only start at 108% of the last year of salary. An increasing deal instead of a decreasing one makes a lot of difference over those 4 years, and Tre will be 27 and looking for the biggest contract of his career.

Maybe the sides can compromise on a flat deal, but if I'm Tre's agent I'm telling him not to take a declining deal. It would take a lot more up front to compensate for that.

Thread Information