Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I don't consider Kareem in the GOAT talks but he's top 5 - 8 if you look at his entire career. Boring as to watch and not much of a personality. I'd say MJ, Lebron and Magic in the top 3 with Bird a close 4th. I almost feel the need to have 3 sets of rankings based on eras.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You lost 4-1. ROFL blaming a luck shot.
    ¡Íbamos a ganar y luego ganar la serie en 7 juegos!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kareem is the most overrated superstar. Couldn't make it out of the second round without Robertson or Magic to carry him. Needed 8 extra seasons to beat Wilt's record.
    This is a comically bad take. What did the Big O or Magic ever win without Kareem? -150 points son.

Jim wouldn't last in the 70s. Too soft. Jim would be Brad Daughterty if he played in the 80s.

OTOH, Kareem would easily dominate in today's NBA. Put some respeck on his name son.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a comically bad take. What did the Big O or Magic ever win without Kareem? -150 points son.

Jim wouldn't last in the 70s. Too soft. Jim would be Brad Daughterty if he played in the 80s.

OTOH, Kareem would easily dominate in today's NBA. Put some respeck on his name son.
    Saying they are not very good does not bode well given how poorly he did without them. He lost O and couldn't even break .500

Then there is that he was such a ing softie they had to get Prime Jabbar enforcers like Kermit Washington to protect him from the other 5s and 4s in a diluted league.

He couldn't shoot outside of 15 feet and needs a Washington type to protect him from the Zach Collins of the world. He would be a Gobert with better touch near the rim on offense.

Kareem and his statpadding ass.
    Last edited by FuzzyLumpkins; 06-18-2023 at 01:04 PM.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't consider Kareem in the GOAT talks but he's top 5 - 8 if you look at his entire career. Boring as to watch and not much of a personality. I'd say MJ, Lebron and Magic in the top 3 with Bird a close 4th. I almost feel the need to have 3 sets of rankings based on eras.
    He has to take a huge hit for leading teams with other good talent to mediocre records in his physical prime when the league was at its weakest since the 50s. I think I'd have him top 10 but at the later end of it, maybe with Kobe. I know it's sacrilege to say to most NBA fans but I'd take Duncan over Kareem in a second since you knew Duncan was taking your team to 50 wins even if Danny Ferry and decrepit Terry Porter are starting next to him. I know people will say he had Robinson those years but Kareem had teammates like Bob Dandridge, Gail Goodrich, Adrian Dantley, Jamaal Wilkes, Norm Nixon, etc in these years where he couldn't take the Lakers/Bucks anywhere while in his physical prime. Magic really saved his legacy. I can at least agree that Magic and Bird were in a clear tier ahead of Kareem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Magic took the Lakers to the Finals without Kareem. Won 63 games another year without Kareem. They would have probably rang at least once more if he didn't like sitting and spinning on the boys in West Hollywood which cut his career short at 32. Jesus man, how can you know so little about your team? Kareem would have hated this fast paced era. If you read Pearlman's book all the Lakers wanted him off the team by 86 because he slowed their offense too much, especially after they got Mychal Thompson. Kareem played in the perfect era for his skillset, and especially playing his prime years in the weakest years the NBA has had since it was white boys in crew cuts shooting set shots in 1951.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 06-18-2023 at 01:39 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The unblockable skyhook being blocked twice in one possession by the corpse of Wilt Chamberlain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's footage of Kareem punking west with a cheap shot. When Chamberlain steps to him he runs into the stands.

I'm trying to find it because to me that is quintessential Kareem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kream is overrated AF

Got punked by every 1st tier center he faced in the playoffs

He was also a certified whiner, every time he was cleanly blocked or when the ball was cleanyly stripped off his hands he would stand there and look at the refs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The unblockable skyhook being blocked twice in one possession by the corpse of Wilt Chamberlain.
    Olajuwon also blocked his sky hook

“uNbLocKaBlE sHoT”
    “MoSt uNsToPpaBlE sHoT EvEr”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He also got his ass handed to him by a chinese midget

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Farmers on here tryna disrespect Kareem is funny. Jim would get beat down literally if he played in the 70s or 80s. I stand on that fact, 10 toes down. Those eras were tough. No way Jim has a hall of fame career playing against real centers and strong power forwards. He's not built for that life, and that's okay.

He would have made the 1972 Olympic swimming team though. Probably get another Bronze Medal th

And Fuzzy never saw Kareem shooting skyhooks out to 20 feet? Figures.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Farmers on here tryna disrespect Kareem is funny. Jim would get beat down literally if he played in the 70s or 80s. I stand on that fact, 10 toes down. Those eras were tough. No way Jim has a hall of fame career playing against real centers and strong power forwards. He's not built for that life, and that's okay.

He would have made the 1972 Olympic swimming team though. Probably get another Bronze Medal th

Kareem did get beat down until he got Washington. You can make up stories all you like. And he took shots form there but not at a high percentage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This take is about as re ed as it takes. The nba in the 70s were a bunch of out of shape coke heads and the 80s had insane pace. The pistons were some unbearably dirty team when the entire league was playing like that in the 90s and 00s. The 90s were logarithmically more physical than the 80s.

Besides, Kareem got his pushed in by any physicality. Moses treated him like his personal blowup doll every time they met. Hakeem and Ralph Sampsn took turns on Kareem. Even mchale and parish were giving him problems. Kareem was playing in an era or generally bad centers. The only decent centers during the 70s was Artis Gilmore, Dan issel and Dave Cowen, two of the three are like 6’8”.

I don’t want to on Kareem but come on man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's footage of Kareem punking west with a cheap shot. When Chamberlain steps to him he runs into the stands.

Not the clip you were looking for but had this cheapshot he put on Happy Hairston show up in my recommendations on youtube

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Same hit from before but showing the aftermath and yeah Kareem wanted no part of Wilt and went off to the corner to hide behind Richie Powers

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    grats joker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same hit from before but showing the aftermath and yeah Kareem wanted no part of Wilt and went off to the corner to hide behind Richie Powers

Nice find and illustrates what I am talking about. thanks.

My Team
    Philadelphia 76ers
    Post Count
    Kareem is the third best Laker C behind Shaq and myself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice find and illustrates what I am talking about. thanks.
    I told you, he got his ass handed to him by a Chinese midget

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Joker's individual numbers will put him over just about every other center ever to play the game were he to add a couple more les to his resume. What center in the history of the game can run the triple doubles like Joker can? He rebounds better than anyone not named Wilt or Russell. He's the best shooter from deep and the best assist guy on the list already. His longevity probably won't let him pass Kareem's point total, but his per game numbers should be close.

If he can sustain his health, and if he ends up with 3 or 4 rings he'll be in the conversation for the best ever, topping the list of Laker centers that they grabbed from other franchises over the years.
    Very ahead of ourselves. I'd put the line at 3 rings. Settle for 2. He's destined to reach the finals and lose at some point. That's already 3 something appearances. Denver would need to continue an influx of talent either thru the draft or free agency. I'm skeptical.

I see 2 rings in Jokic's career which still puts him in very high regard and IMO right along Hakeem & above in many eyes.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I'm not saying you're wrong but seems Size bias. Is Kareem not the most accomplished Big ever? I do think he lost interest in the 70's. But his career from UCLA to Lakers is consistent. Credit the sky hook but he didn't nose dive like Shaq late in his career.

And Bird is above Magic. Johnson enjoyed the largest collection of talented teammates since Lebron.

If you are asking which players revolutionized the game - then your list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bird was objectively better than Magic tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And no Lebron didn't havethe same level of help Magic had, it's not even remotely close

Wade started declining in 2012/2013m Bosh instantly turned into a role player and he also had health issues

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if this has been posted in the past, but I would say it is a relatively good list:

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nba/...akd4rrcl1z22ei

Rank Player les MVP All-NBA
    1. Michael Jordan 6 5 11
    2. LeBron James 4 4 19
    3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 6 6 15
    4. Bill Russell 11 5 11
    5. Magic Johnson 5 3 10
    6. Wilt Chamberlain 2 4 10
    7. Larry Bird 3 3 10
    8. Tim Duncan 5 2 15
    9. Shaquille O'Neal 4 1 14
    10. Kobe Bryant 5 1 15
    11. Hakeem Olajuwon 2 1 12
    12. Stephen Curry 4 2 9
    13. Kevin Durant 2 1 10
    14. Julius Erving 1 4 7
    15. Giannis Antetokounmpo 1 2 7
    16. Kevin Garnett 1 1 9
    17. Moses Malone 1 3 8
    18. Oscar Robertson 1 1 11
    19. Nikola Jokic 1 2 5
    20. Jerry West 1 0 12
    21. Dirk Nowitzki 1 1 12
    22. Karl Malone 0 2 14
    23. David Robinson 2 1 10
    24. Charles Barkley 0 1 11
    25. Elgin Baylor 0 0 10
    I can see arguments in the top 9, where Duncan could be higher than Bird, Magic, Wilt and Russell, where those 4 were there due to historical and nostalgic reasons. The more I look at Kareem's actual accomplishments, the more I found it overrated. That said, he did win 6 les, and 6 MVPs, but he really can't do much without an all time PG like Magic or Big O. So I guess he will always stay in the top 3.

As you'd expect, I have huge issues with Kobe being where he is. Hakeem was better, Moses was better, I would argue Curry was better, and I would say Jokic has a good case now.

Speaking of Moses, getting criminally underrated again. Below Garnett? Come on. And Garnett is way too high, where Dirk should be higher, Robinson should be higher. Durant is too high as well. He did absolutely nothing without joining a 73 win team. It's not even a Lebron taking his talents to the Heat thing, but Durant didn't lead his team anywhere other than OKC in 12, where they got absolutely trounced by the Heat. He shouldn't be higher than Barkley.

As much as I think Robinson was ranked below where he should be, I am still pleasantly surprised he made it in the top 25. He is just underrated.

Thread Information