Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In fact, Cissoko was never really loaned to the d-league. D-league and NBA don't accept loans. Cissoko signed the same kind of contract as other d-league ignite players.

NBA like all leagues respect FIBA rules for international trades.
    Basketball players are linked to a country. When they want to play in another country, they must get a letter of clearance from the federation of their initial country. The federation checked with their previous team if they are free to go and then they become linked to their new country.

Last year, Cissoko's agents and Baskonia negotiated the he could leave them for a year to play in D-League and then come back with them at the end of the season. Before signing with the ignite team, Cissoko got a letter of clearance from the Spanish federation to become an US player. At the end of the D-league season he got a letter of clearance from the US basketball federation to be linked back with Spain. That's how it works.

One can imagine Cissoko's agents negotiating again with Baskonia to postpone the buyout by another year but that's highly unlikely.

And it wasn't possible for Cissoko to decide not to come back with Baskonia. FIBA has a tribunal in case players or teams don't respect their contracts.
    Thanks, and while I didn't know most of those details, the basic contour is how I assumed it worked prior to hearing about Cissoko's situation. You have to think that this situation might've scared off other teams, meaning he wasn't ever all that likely to be drafted earlier in the draft. The Spurs may have been targeting him at 33 but were confident he'd be around at 44 because of his inability to be signed to a two-way.

I can't see the Spurs paying the max buyout amount (and potentially more so that Cissoko can cover the rest of the amount) and then waiving him in camp. It seems like he should be considered at least a near lock to make the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, to me the situation is very simple:

- Spurs knew before drafting Cissoko his contractual situation and that a two way contract wasn't an option.

- Spurs have already offered Cissoko a true NBA contract and the money to pay his buyout.

- The only reason why he hasn't signed it yet is the same why Tre Jones hasn't signed his contract. It would have taken some cap space.
    chinook has floated the scenario where cissoko isnt signed to an nba deal until some point in the season. keep him "stashed" until they're able to clear things up closer to the deadline, etc

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That sound pretty cool so legally he belongs to Spain until he and the Spurs can work out a contract and since we drafted him we don’t have to worry about a team poaching him. So probably not until after trade deadline passes depending if we still trying to work out deals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That sound pretty cool so legally he belongs to Spain until he and the Spurs can work out a contract and since we drafted him we don’t have to worry about a team poaching him. So probably not until after trade deadline passes depending if we still trying to work out deals.
    yeah but if you with a player who wants a buyout now, you could deal with a scola situation

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, to me the situation is very simple:

- Spurs knew before drafting Cissoko his contractual situation and that a two way contract wasn't an option.

- Spurs have already offered Cissoko a true NBA contract and the money to pay his buyout.

- The only reason why he hasn't signed it yet is the same why Tre Jones hasn't signed his contract. It would have taken some cap space.
    Those sound like the same bread crumbs that would apply to Barlow's situation.

The notion that Barlow and the Spurs don't already have a deal lined up seems far fetched to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So why hasn’t Sidy or Barlow been signed yet?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those sound like the same bread crumbs that would apply to Barlow's situation.

The notion that Barlow and the Spurs don't already have a deal lined up seems far fetched to me.
    Barlow and Cissoko are in a quite different situation contractually wise. Maybe you're right and Barlow/Spurs have an agreement but maybe he is looking to get a better offer than what Spurs are currently offering.

Aside of these twos, there is another question: why Mamu still isn't officially signed?

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barlow and Cissoko are in a quite different situation contractually wise. Maybe you're right and Barlow/Spurs have an agreement but maybe he is looking to get a better offer than what Spurs are currently offering.

Aside of these twos, there is another question: why Mamu still isn't officially signed?
    I would image these players aren’t signed so the team can maintain cap flexibility in the event that they are asked to be a third party for a bigger trade.

If these players have an agreement in place I don’t see any reason for them to not wait since the reputation of our club is extremely high when it comes to honoring their word.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would image these players aren’t signed so the team can maintain cap flexibility in the event that they are asked to be a third party for a bigger trade.

If these players have an agreement in place I don’t see any reason for them to not wait since the reputation of our club is extremely high when it comes to honoring their word.
    no flexibility left anyway. We’re about 1 mil below the cap pending mamus signing

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no flexibility left anyway. We’re about 1 mil below the cap pending mamus signing
    The minimum threshold not the cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The minimum threshold not the cap.
    We are 1 mil below the cap. Well past the floor

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he belongs to Spain contractually why not let him play in Spain and develop some more while retaining his rights?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he belongs to Spain contractually why not let him play in Spain and develop some more while retaining his rights?
    I'm guessing he doesn't want to do this. He didn't want to do it last year.

Believe.
    Post Count
    I'm guessing he doesn't want to do this. He didn't want to do it last year.
    Let's do a foreign exchange program then. We'll take Cissoko and we'll send Wesley to Spain! Problem solved and no spurs fans will complain then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spotrac shows Mamu on a vet minimum contract now.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-anto...ashvili-74161/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He re-signed on July 1st for a one year, 2M contract.

Last edited by JPB; 07-22-2023 at 04:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He re-signed on July 1st for a one year, 2M contract.

Agreed to it then. Hasn’t formally signed yet. Spurs haven’t announced the transaction

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The answer is Barlow wanting a Bassey type contract which they can only do if they renounce Mamu cap hold. Mamu and Sidy has minimum and second round exceptions that does not require cap space they should sign last. And room MLE only allows contract up to 2 years so they cant sign Barlow to that if they want more control.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are 1 mil below the cap. Well past the floor
    Yup. Spurs wanted to hit that threshold early, and did with the Bullock trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The answer is Barlow wanting a Bassey type contract which they can only do if they renounce Mamu cap hold. Mamu and Sidy has minimum and second round exceptions that does not require cap space they should sign last. And room MLE only allows contract up to 2 years so they cant sign Barlow to that if they want more control.
    Room exception can now be used on a 3 years contract(s). If they try to sign Barlow to a 4 years contract, it could explain, as you said, the delay around Mamu's signing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed to it then. Hasn’t formally signed yet. Spurs haven’t announced the transaction
    Correct, but as mentioned above certainly for flexibility. But he can be considered a spur for next year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if the Barlow news unsticks some of these last fringe decisions on Mamu and Sidy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if the Barlow news unsticks some of these last fringe decisions on Mamu and Sidy?
    Those two won't be signed until the roster is settled, either by cuts or a consolidation trade. At that point, they will know if they can use cap room or the room exception.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bruno was right.

3 to cut( Graham or Payne/ bullock or osman and birch)
    Last edited by duncan2150; 07-27-2023 at 10:45 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sidy just signed a 3 year deal.

Thread Information