My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dan Patrick saw it coming

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I talked about Stuart Scott a few days ago with a friend of mine when reminiscing how ESPN used to employ professionals and not carnival barkers. I would also take David Aldridge over the trash they have now.
    I love David Aldridge. He's quite a bit more nerdy and weird since he left ESPN, which is awesome.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    They don't call him Screamin A for nothing. I miss Stuart Scott and Kenny Mayne. Frankly, I miss when ESPN was about news and less about opinions.
    Same for most media outlets. Remember when the op ed was a side piece?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't call him Screamin A for nothing. I miss Stuart Scott and Kenny Mayne. Frankly, I miss when ESPN was about news and less about opinions.
    TV news is dead because of the internet, its all opinion/personalities now

why watch ESPN for news, wait through commercials, wait for the right segment of the 30-60 minutes show to hear about one player that you could just look up online? why watch sportscenter for game summaries if you can just pull them up on youtube at your convenience?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The same could be applied to Stephen A.
    Stephen A has a journalism degree and was once upon a time a legitimate journalist. He speaks eloquently. I agree, that his Screamin A persona is what made him ESPNs highest paid public personality but he doesn't come across as a dumbass to me.

Perk straight up does come across as a dumbass. The way he speaks, the way he types. Pisses me off every time I see him on TV/twitter...just can't believe someone so undeserving could hold such a sought after job. And all because he's black and loud smh.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Daytime programming even on Fox is heavy on NBA/NFL. I don't have an issue with this but recognize the audience.

My frustration with ESPN is it's A
    A) No longer the world wide leader in sports. It is bias towards it's own programming and this started with WNBA
    B) About 10 years ago+, with the success of PTI, they cut a bunch of their journalist and now have individuals outside their lane. Why is player from Sport X commenting on Sport Y

It just feels like immature hour now. But maybe they foresaw the changing fan and how most people go directly to the outlet for news - their team page.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Daytime programming even on Fox is heavy on NBA/NFL. I don't have an issue with this but recognize the audience.

My frustration with ESPN is it's A
    A) No longer the world wide leader in sports. It is bias towards it's own programming and this started with WNBA
    B) About 10 years ago+, with the success of PTI, they cut a bunch of their journalist and now have individuals outside their lane. Why is player from Sport X commenting on Sport Y

It just feels like immature hour now. But maybe they foresaw the changing fan and how most people go directly to the outlet for news - their team page.
    It was never the worldwide leader in sports

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stephen A has a journalism degree and was once upon a time a legitimate journalist. He speaks eloquently. I agree, that his Screamin A persona is what made him ESPNs highest paid public personality but he doesn't come across as a dumbass to me.

Perk straight up does come across as a dumbass. The way he speaks, the way he types. Pisses me off every time I see him on TV/twitter...just can't believe someone so undeserving could hold such a sought after job. And all because he's black and loud smh.
    Agreed, Stephen A and Skip play characters on TV/social media
    Stephen A was once on the Matt Barnes podcast and it was a good episode

Heck I'm pretty Magic is playing Captain Obvious on purpose on Twitter
    Not suire if he is going senile or not but his post game interviews as a player or his takes when he was on NBC weren't too bad tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rose was garbage, Kellerman wasn't anything special at all, but JVG made that broadcast team very solid.

Unbelievable that a total turds like Perkins and SAS still have jobs...both unprofessional morons with garbage takes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rose was garbage, Kellerman wasn't anything special at all, but JVG made that broadcast team very solid.

Unbelievable that a total turds like Perkins and SAS still have jobs...both unprofessional morons with garbage takes.
    JVG is good but he talks way too much

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought there'd be some value in Kellerman staying around since he's covered a few sports in his lifetime and was one of the best boxing commentators going.

I wish I had the money to hire Jalen Rose so I could fire him again. That dude was, is and always will be awful.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count

Being an ex NBAer helps

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never fails. Every black analyst supposedly sucks (but it never has to do with race, of course) and most white analysts are supposedly astute.

Van Gundy incessantly nags about virtually everything, has archaic views and boils it down to who has more perceived talent (while simultaneously defending coaches at every turn), yet somehow he's deified.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never fails. Every black analyst supposedly sucks (but it never has to do with race, of course) and most white analysts are supposedly astute.
    Perkins doesn't suck?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I missed the part where somebody said all the black analysts suck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought there'd be some value in Kellerman staying around since he's covered a few sports in his lifetime and was one of the best boxing commentators going.

I wish I had the money to hire Jalen Rose so I could fire him again. That dude was, is and always will be awful.
    He really knows boxing. He was the original host of Around the Horn, but he just doesn't know much about other sports, and it shows. Amazed he lasted this long since ESPN doesn't do boxing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perkins doesn't suck?
    I didn't single out individuals.

I missed the part where somebody said all the black analysts suck.
    Not in a literal sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not in a literal sense.
    So not at all, then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rose should not have made it past one day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who cares, we got Killa Cam and Murda Ma$e now. Y'all not hip yet

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's called a figure of speech, but keep playing semantic games to attempt to distract from the topic at hand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's called a figure of speech, but keep playing semantic games to attempt to distract from the topic at hand.
    It's called race baiting, it's pathetic, and it literally has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's called race baiting, it's pathetic, and it literally has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    Nah, it's called old white guy whose uncomfortable with race being brought up and would rather be ignorant to it than acknowledge how pervasive it is.

As I said, it's not about an individual or this thread. Virtually every black analyst, commentator, coach, executive, etc. either supposedly sucks or is an idiot, yet it's allegedly never about race.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, it's called old white guy whose uncomfortable with race being brought up and would rather be ignorant to it than acknowledge how pervasive it is.

As I said, it's not about an individual or this thread. Virtually every black analyst, commentator, coach, executive, etc. either supposedly sucks or is an idiot, yet it's allegedly never about race.
    Nope. Literal race baiting. You can't come up with a single example of racism in this thread because there isn't one, which you acknowledge, yet you cling to your position because muh rasism and then try to assume my race for calling you out.

The only thing pervasive is ignorance. You got more than your share. Plonk.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    The bulk of white commentators aren't former players. Ernie Johnson didn't play, he's put there to pretend to arbitrate between black former players who are known for their controversial opinions and personalities. This is how the model works, a seemingly neutral, well spoken (heh) person arbitrates and offers a softball debate so one of the over-the-top ex NBAer personalities can knock it out of the park and generate views. It doesn't matter if the commentator is good or not, since it's never really about the sport.

Thread Information