Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. Literal race baiting. You can't come up with a single example of racism in this thread because there isn't one, which you acknowledge, yet you cling to your position because muh rasism and then try to assume my race for calling you out.

The only thing pervasive is ignorance. You got more than your share. Plonk.
    He basically has a job there because he's black and loud, tbh.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    The bulk of white commentators aren't former players. Ernie Johnson didn't play, he's put there to pretend to arbitrate between black former players who are known for their controversial opinions and personalities. This is how the model works, a seemingly neutral, well spoken (heh) person arbitrates and offers a softball debate so one of the over-the-top ex NBAer personalities can knock it out of the park and generate views. It doesn't matter if the commentator is good or not, since it's never really about the sport.
    This is the root of the debate here. But it is changing.

Historically black analyst were all former players and typically stars

The whites were coaches or journalist. More articulate

But it has shifted and is more even now.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rose should not have made it past one day.
    Jalen worked hard to get better. He was not great when he started doing sideline reports for TNT, but he kept at it and took it seriously. His ability to provide opinions is probably why he was let go, but he's worked himself into a good broadcaster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jalen worked hard to get better. He was not great when he started doing sideline reports for TNT, but he kept at it and took it seriously. His ability to provide opinions is probably why he was let go, but he's worked himself into a good broadcaster.
    Well I suppose you and I disagree on Rose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, JVG sucks with his commentary and deserved to be fired.

I have no idea what Troy (Too Many Concussions) Aikman is doing in the broadcast booth as he rambles and sucks big time.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I suppose you and I disagree on Rose.
    Maybe not. I was just crediting his improvement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never fails. Every black analyst supposedly sucks (but it never has to do with race, of course) and most white analysts are supposedly astute.

Van Gundy incessantly nags about virtually everything, has archaic views and boils it down to who has more perceived talent (while simultaneously defending coaches at every turn), yet somehow he's deified.
    Never fails, can't have a simple conversation without somebody turning it into an issue of race...unbelievable...dude, the sample size was tiny...Rose, SAS, JVG, Perkins, and Kellerman. You got race out of that?? Put the card back in the deck. The color of ones skin does not make them immune to scrutiny. Way to go with the pathetic attempt to hijack the conversation with what you thought was a powerplay.

Stuart Scott was excellent, as is David Aldridge and (I admit my bias here), but I enjoy Sam Acho.

So you are telling me that you would put Rose, Perkins, or SAS on the level of those men?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never fails, can't have a simple conversation without somebody turning it into an issue of race...unbelievable...dude, the sample size was tiny...Rose, SAS, JVG, Perkins, and Kellerman. You got race out of that?? Put the card back in the deck. The color of ones skin does not make them immune to scrutiny. Way to go with the pathetic attempt to hijack the conversation with what you thought was a powerplay.

Stuart Scott was excellent, as is David Aldridge and (I admit my bias here), but I enjoy Sam Acho.

So you are telling me that you would put Rose, Perkins, or SAS on the level of those men?
    At whitey and whitewashed types alike getting their back up every time their bias and ignorance is mentioned.

As I said, it's more a general thing. Anytime I see broadcasters and analysts alike discussed, the black ones (primarily ones from the inner city) are universally criticized, yet somehow it's never about race.

Rose is articulate and more knowledgeable than most of the fools on TV, but all you see is a 6'8'' former player from the hood and the stereotypes associated with that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At whitey and whitewashed types alike getting their back up every time their bias and ignorance is mentioned.

As I said, it's more a general thing. Anytime I see broadcasters and analysts alike discussed, the black ones (primarily ones from the inner city) are universally criticized, yet somehow it's never about race.

Rose is articulate and more knowledgeable than most of the fools on TV, but all you see is a 6'8'' former player from the hood and the stereotypes associated with that.
    When you have no real argument just resort to racist name calling I see. Funny how you want to call other people racist, yet you are the only one tossing around racial slurs.

I don't look up where a person lives or where they are from to decide if I like the job somebody does, nor to I take into account a persons race...it is called having an opinion. If you like Rose so much congrats to you, you have the right to your opinion as well.

Don't be a snowflake.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you have no real argument just resort to racist name calling I see. Funny how you want to call other people racist, yet you are the only one tossing around racial slurs.

I don't look up where a person lives or where they are from to decide if I like the job somebody does, nor to I take into account a persons race...it is called having an opinion. If you like Rose so much congrats to you, you have the right to your opinion as well.

Don't be a snowflake.
    There's no "racial slurs" in that and I believe a lot of this is subconscious. You're (not literally, but universally) programmed to believe someone like Rose is an uneducated idiot from the jump, therefore you end up throwing him in the pile with the others without a second thought.

I'm not necessarily a fan, I just don't see otherwise why he'd be lumped in with an agenda driven fool like Perkins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no "racial slurs" in that and I believe a lot of this is subconscious. You're (not literally, but universally) programmed to believe someone like Rose is an uneducated idiot from the jump, therefore you end up throwing him in the pile with the others without a second thought.

I'm not necessarily a fan, I just don't see otherwise why he'd be lumped in with an agenda driven fool like Perkins.
    You call him a fool but used my post about Perkins as an example of racism in this thread?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You call him a fool but used my post about Perkins as an example of racism in this thread?
    What you said it different and he's also an individual. Again, I'm speaking more in general.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Jalen was not good, but far from terrible imo. That’s why guys like Charles are goldmines. It’s hard to be all of the things in a great analyst, smart, funny, opinionated, and entertaining. And when you lack in some of those, the entertainment value has to carry those things you lack. I think both Kenny and Shaq are terrible and it would show exponentially without Charles. I thought Jalen was actually pretty good in Jalen & Jacoby, in a much more opinion-mostly podcast format, where he didn’t necessarily have to mix in factual and/or statistical stuff into his opinions, isn’t constrained to basketball only takes, while still trying to integrate his 90s hip hop and R&B references into his dialogue with Jacoby.

Jalen did improve greatly over time, but he still lacked a certain charismatic, relatable draw to general basketball fans. That said, you fire him and lean on a guy like Kendrick Perkins to take his place, it’s obvious that it’s not about whether Jalen was good or bad. It feels more like cost-cutting move. Perkins is gawd awful.

When it comes to the race thing, idk. Not so much race, and more about how difficult it is to find the right analysts who really click with people, black, white, brown, or green. For me, it just seems really hard to find guys (especially former players) who can really deliver it all. I think you see it with TBS and their MLB playoff coverage, as they’ve tried to find a similar energy to TNT NBA crew, and it just hasn’t clicked. I think guys like Grant Hill and Steve Smith actually bring pretty good basketball knowledge, but they have zero likable personality on the mic. A guy like Mark Jackson is more entertaining because you laugh at him and the he says, but he’s a terrible analyst. Finding a guy who can bring great basketball takes and still be entertaining, there haven’t been a lot going back decades. JJ Re has a chance to pretty good. I like his takes, his charisma, and the way he forms opinions and argues and backs them up. But he also feels like a guy most people could likely get sick of pretty quickly, similar to Romo.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Perkins, that SOB. Him & Powe terrorized us in the '08 Finals. Poor Kobe was terrified. We got the bas though in the '10 Finals when what's his face (name escapes me) leaned on him and his knee collapsed. It was like a dream come to life. I was so happy. And it was a double whammy for Boston. Without Perkins///Wallace couldn't function properly and subsequently the bed. Then, remember, they had to call in LAPD SWAT to haul him out of Staples, still in uniform because he wouldn't stop trying to tear the door down to the officiating locker room. God was with us that time...Fisher had come home outta SLC, without him we'd a lost. He got us straightened around at 13 down 3rd quarter. And then it came into view and Kobe, bless his soul, eschewed his game face and broke for it. I still get choked thinking about those final minutes. And what's his face (name escapes me) wetting his brows and nailing those two FT's.

Good times.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But he also feels like a guy most people could likely get sick of pretty quickly, similar to Romo.
    Is Romo still commentating? I haven't watched much NFL the past few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mark Jackson is gone Doc Rivers and Doris Burke are in
    One good move and two bad ones

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Momma, there goes that man . . . at all the fools who'll view this as bittersweet because of the trade off.

One black man out, another more outspoken "black" (bi-racial) man in, along with a woman promoted.

Naturally, that means they automatically suck, but it won't have anything to do with that of course.

Meanwhile, the conservatives aka bigots can whine about "diversity hires" and Disney/BSPN being "woke".

Something for everyone.
    Last edited by TD 21; 07-31-2023 at 05:44 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    marc jackson was probably my least favorite broadcaster in recent memory

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jalen was not good, but far from terrible imo. That’s why guys like Charles are goldmines. It’s hard to be all of the things in a great analyst, smart, funny, opinionated, and entertaining. And when you lack in some of those, the entertainment value has to carry those things you lack. I think both Kenny and Shaq are terrible and it would show exponentially without Charles. I thought Jalen was actually pretty good in Jalen & Jacoby, in a much more opinion-mostly podcast format, where he didn’t necessarily have to mix in factual and/or statistical stuff into his opinions, isn’t constrained to basketball only takes, while still trying to integrate his 90s hip hop and R&B references into his dialogue with Jacoby.

Jalen did improve greatly over time, but he still lacked a certain charismatic, relatable draw to general basketball fans. That said, you fire him and lean on a guy like Kendrick Perkins to take his place, it’s obvious that it’s not about whether Jalen was good or bad. It feels more like cost-cutting move. Perkins is gawd awful.

When it comes to the race thing, idk. Not so much race, and more about how difficult it is to find the right analysts who really click with people, black, white, brown, or green. For me, it just seems really hard to find guys (especially former players) who can really deliver it all. I think you see it with TBS and their MLB playoff coverage, as they’ve tried to find a similar energy to TNT NBA crew, and it just hasn’t clicked. I think guys like Grant Hill and Steve Smith actually bring pretty good basketball knowledge, but they have zero likable personality on the mic. A guy like Mark Jackson is more entertaining because you laugh at him and the he says, but he’s a terrible analyst. Finding a guy who can bring great basketball takes and still be entertaining, there haven’t been a lot going back decades. JJ Re has a chance to pretty good. I like his takes, his charisma, and the way he forms opinions and argues and backs them up. But he also feels like a guy most people could likely get sick of pretty quickly, similar to Romo.
    The only reason we got tired of Romo is because CBS nerfed him and told him to stop calling plays. Now he's espn level overproduced garbage

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was certainly not a fan of Jackson's announcing style at the beginning, similar to Bill Walton, but he started to grow on me. I liked the quirky chemistry of JVG, Breen, and Jackson, to me they were the best going...liked to hear JVG and Jackson rib each other. I will that over Kevin Harlan yelling "He's a flamethrower" every time a player makes two threes in a row.

Doris isn't terrible, but she doesn't seem to have that sense of humor that I prefer. I guess that is why I like Shaq, Kenny and Charles so much...they entertain. I can't see Doc and Doris working well together...too businesslike for my taste.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was certainly not a fan of Jackson's announcing style at the beginning, similar to Bill Walton, but he started to grow on me. I liked the quirky chemistry of JVG, Breen, and Jackson, to me they were the best going...liked to hear JVG and Jackson rib each other. I will that over Kevin Harlan yelling "He's a flamethrower" every time a player makes two threes in a row.

Doris isn't terrible, but she doesn't seem to have that sense of humor that I prefer. I guess that is why I like Shaq, Kenny and Charles so much...they entertain. I can't see Doc and Doris working well together...too businesslike for my taste.
    Walton is smart and funny. Mark Jackson is a re .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walton is funny but he did have some awful takes on NBC and ABC

I don't remember how Doc was on ABC (2004) but before that he had some games on TNT and was kinda funny tbh; his voice ws still normal back then though
    Last edited by lefty; 08-01-2023 at 09:03 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walton is good in the sense that he knows he is corny as and have bad takes, so he runs with it and ribs himself over it.
    Jackson is just plain bad.
    I think Doc would be good, he does have good basketball knowledge, it just didn't translate to coaching.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walton is like that one reliever you only bring in for very specific situations. Works really well as a change of pace but you don't want him as a starter.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walton is like that one reliever you only bring in for very specific situations. Works really well as a change of pace but you don't want him as a starter.
    Disagree. Walton's color commentary made it worth it to watch Clippers games in the 2000s. I would die laughing hearing him continually on Olowokandi as lazy and for never adding anything to his game.

Thread Information