Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Osman has a role, it’s that he has experience of being on a bad team that turned into a playoff team as a rotational piece. Something our young team will need to do. We need vets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The sort of trade that would net a first rounder but those aren't available any longer.

Osman has size and isn't bad, can platoon off the bench and Cavs fans seem to think he's pretty good.not an earthshaker but can help a transition year.

Never too many SRPs especially since they can be used in many ways and by 2030 it may be much harder to improve our contending team.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm okay with the trade. We take on salary to get closer to the cap off.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Twitter down for anyone else? Tweets won’t load, but I’m still getting notifications from Woj and Shams.
    Yep, I'm having that issue too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Twitter down for anyone else? Tweets won’t load, but I’m still getting notifications from Woj and Shams.
    Twitter is currently broken it seems, just when I wanna see how the Spurs beat-writers/reporters think about this trade lol.
    Last edited by leo07251413; 07-01-2023 at 09:30 AM. Reason: grammar mistake

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But this move doesn't get them to the cap floor. Only closer. They could have just had more money to throw at a FA instead.

Oh but we get a 2nd and probably cash considerations
    I know, I worded it poorly. That's why I said re sign Mamu and hopefully that gets us there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol Elmo running Twitter into the ground

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with Bruno. Questionable decision making though by spurs. Even if you don’t really like a Fa signing someone like Grant Williams with your space to help you get to floor if only ti trade later nets you a better player + better pick later

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another really important aspect of that trade is that both players have expiring contracts. Next summer could have something like $70M in cap space and it might the moment Spurs decide to build a contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Twitter is currently broken it seems, just when I wanna see how the Spurs beat-writers/reporters think about this trade lol.
    Twitter works for me. Orsborn just posted details, no thoughts. Haven't seen anything from anyone else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It isn't a basketball trade, it's a financial trade. Spurs' goal is to reach the salary floor and they're now $4M or $5M below it.

This trade likely also means Spurs have no interest in signing one of the top remaining FA to a contract. I guess it's all about giving all the playing time to the young players.
    Yup, agree. And this stuff might fly the first year or two but I want to make a bigger point here regarding Wembanyama.

He's made it crystal clear he wants to win and do so early and often in his career. He's said stuff about not playing a really long career like Lebron and stuff (maybe because he's aware his body may not hold up that long).

So, If he detects a front office unwilling to spend big bucks or unable to haul in the big FA as has been our history -- though I would expect Wembanyama to start drawing in some more interested parties in the future at least if he stays healthy -- then he's more likely to bolt when he can. And yes we'd be able to match and keep him here for at least 7 years but that might be right when he's in beast mode.

So while he clearly wanted to go to the Spurs of the teams that were going to be eligible to draft him, he clearly is intrigued by the Lakers and the biggest stages. He was asked yesterday if he wanted to play in the Sumner League in Sacramento and he said that yes he wanted to (sounds like he was talked out of it) because it would have been his first time to play the Lakers. Not the Lakers with Lebron and of Hollywood mind you. But the Lakers in Sacramento with scrubs. Why? Because he's talking about the jersey. When he was asked on his presentation tour if the Spurs were his favorite team growing up he basically said no by saying that he really liked some of our players but he liked a few teams. I can guarantee you the glitz and glamorous Lakers were one of them.

So all I'm saying here is we can't be seen as being ultra conservative and unwilling to go dpend some money by our 19 year old generational talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another really important aspect of that trade is that both players have expiring contracts. Next summer could have something like $70M in cap space and it might the moment Spurs decide to build a contender.
    no they won't. Next years FA class is weak too. Secondly Vassell's extension should kick in then (if he gets extended) which basically offsets Birch, Graham and Osman coming off the books.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe if we send them 14 2nd rounders and Cedi.
    I believe that would still leave us 8 SRPs. It’s hard to keep up with them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers really gonna keep Reaves for MLE money…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, agree. And this stuff might fly the first year or two but I want to make a bigger point here regarding Wembanyama.

He's made it crystal clear he wants to win and do so early and often in his career. He's said stuff about not playing a really long career like Lebron and stuff (maybe because he's aware his body may not hold up that long).

So, If he detects a front office unwilling to spend big bucks or unable to haul in the big FA as has been our history -- though I would expect Wembanyama to start drawing in some more interested parties in the future at least if he stays healthy -- then he's more likely to bolt when he can. And yes we'd be able to match and keep him here for at least 7 years but that might be right when he's in beast mode.

So while he clearly wanted to go to the Spurs of the teams that were going to be eligible to draft him, he clearly is intrigued by the Lakers and the biggest stages. He was asked yesterday if he wanted to play in the Sumner League in Sacramento and he said that yes he wanted to (sounds like he was talked out of it) because it would have been his first time to play the Lakers. Not the Lakers with Lebron and of Hollywood mind you. But the Lakers in Sacramento with scrubs. Why? Because he's talking about the jersey. When he was asked on his presentation tour if the Spurs were his favorite team growing up he basically said no by saying that he really liked some of our players but he liked a few teams. I can guarantee you the glitz and glamorous Lakers were one of them.

So all I'm saying here is we can't be seen as being ultra conservative and unwilling to go dpend some money by our 19 year old generational talent.
    Wow lol. Free agency this year is full of scrubs. Why go out and piss away money on a bloated contract on someone who isn't worth it. And that's quite the assumption that you think Wemby wants to play for the Lakers. He wants to win, not be Carmelo Anthony 2.0. He knows the process, he knows the Spurs have sped up their rebuild from 4-5 years to 1-2 years. Just calm down bro.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great piece of business here. 7M for a distant SRP from one of the teams with a historically ty FOs. That’s EXACTLY the type of team you want picks from, even SRPs.

Don’t get all the lamenting. The spurs have been telegraphing their strategy since we won’t the lotto.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Second Rounders owned by Spurs:
    '24 (3): own + Lakers + best of Chicago/New Orleans
    '25 (3): own + Chicago + Toronto
    '26 (3): own w/swap w/worst of Indiana/Miami + worst of New Orleans/Portland + Utah
    '27 (2): own + worst of OKC/Houston/Indiana/Miami
    '28 (5): own + Miami + New Orleans + Denver (protected 31-33) + Minnesota
    '29 (2): own + New Orleans
    '30 (2): own + Cleveland
    TOTAL: 20
    Yes... 20 second round picks!!!

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think we already had something like 13 incoming second rounders through 2029. Diminishing returns at this point

not a fan of this imo if it prevents us from making more impactful moves

lol what impactful moves?

they have already stated they’re running back the same team.

What’s hard to understand about this?

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Romeo Langford is better than Cedi all day everyday. This move is pointless. I'm sure they waive one or both for a 2nd round useless pick. This was about the money. Boo this man.

romeo Langford couldn’t stay healthy in a padded cell, so Osman is already better than him right away.

lol @ people thinking they were going for it this year. You guys don’t pay attention at all.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby says he wants to win and win soon. So this front office wanders around picking pennies off the ground.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow lol. Free agency this year is full of scrubs. Why go out and piss away money on a bloated contract on someone who isn't worth it. And that's quite the assumption that you think Wemby wants to play for the Lakers. He wants to win, not be Carmelo Anthony 2.0. He knows the process, he knows the Spurs have sped up their rebuild from 4-5 years to 1-2 years. Just calm down bro.

I think anyone reading tea leaves can tell he's intrigued by the Lakers. He wanted to play their scrubs in the Summer League...in Sacramento. Lol.

And I'm perfectly calm bro. I'm also not burying my head in the sand about showing our young superstar that we are able and willing to spend money on say a Brook Lopez or other player to help make the team better.

Answer this question, will Wembanyama be cool playing on a team that finishes under .500 this next year when he's talking about ringing soon and often? And when we barely reach the salary floor?

Final point. There a poster here, name eludes me now, that basically already said his third contract would be signed elsewhere I gather from stuff he heard or read.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    romeo Langford couldn’t stay healthy in a padded cell, so Osman is already better than him right away.

lol @ people thinking they were going for it this year. You guys don’t pay attention at all.
    Going for it and playing sub .500 ball, which is a possibility, are two different worlds.

And Romeo when healthy is a far superior player but I'll grant you his health is problematic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Second Rounders owned by Spurs:
    '24 (3): own + Lakers + best of Chicago/New Orleans
    '25 (3): own + Chicago + Toronto
    '26 (3): own w/swap w/worst of Indiana/Miami + worst of New Orleans/Portland + Utah
    '27 (2): own + worst of OKC/Houston/Indiana/Miami
    '28 (5): own + Miami + New Orleans + Denver (protected 31-33) + Minnesota
    '29 (2): own + New Orleans
    '30 (2): own + Cleveland
    TOTAL: 20
    Yes... 20 second round picks!!!
    What's the conversion rate of 20 2nd rounders? How many Schrute bucks is that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We're 10 picks away from owning the equivalent of an entire 2nd round class

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard two second rounders gets you a marinated brisket at HEB.

Thread Information