Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was 100 percent ready for Mcbuckets to go. He was nothing but an expiring contract to me...until the Spurs got Victor.

I'm beyond intrigued at the idea of Doug scoring 20 points and Victor getting six assists in two minutes.
    There is a case to be made for Doug getting heavier than expected minutes to start the year to build up his trade value ahead of the deadline. Doug on a career year would have some real value. Unfortunately, no one has any picks to trade anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was 100 percent ready for Mcbuckets to go. He was nothing but an expiring contract to me...until the Spurs got Victor.

I'm beyond intrigued at the idea of Doug scoring 20 points and Victor getting six assists in two minutes.
    Ditto on this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much value should we put on the four year contract for Champagnie as an indicator of his place in the rotation at SF. Seems to me that the coaches are high on his value and want to cement his career as a Spur for a good long while. Or does he have a chance to be a backup at SG? I've been quite impressed by his hustle as well as his skill set at 6'8" and think he will get some minutes away from somebody previously on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much value should we put on the four year contract for Champagnie as an indicator of his place in the rotation at SF. Seems to me that the coaches are high on his value and want to cement his career as a Spur for a good long while. Or does he have a chance to be a backup at SG? I've been quite impressed by his hustle as well as his skill set at 6'8" and think he will get some minutes away from somebody previously on the team.
    Much like Bassey's contract, it isn't fully guaranteed so the team can pull the plug without much dead money. But I would tend to think (for both of these guys) it signals that the team sees promise in them and wants to lock them up on the cheap for a few years. I think they both see solid rotation minutes this year, I think the biggest threat to their security on the roster will come from the glut of upcoming picks we have. They could both be easily supplanted by a promising prospect at their position.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan may be in line for a 6th man role this coming season. He may not start the game but he will average more minutes per game than Tre Jones and will be out there with the starters minus Tre to finish games. I don't see him having a problem with this move since he already took on this role in college even though he was Baylor's best player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is going to go back into his mad Scientist role and putting players in different positions and pairing them up with different players to see what works and what doesn’t work with Wemby. After he has done that he will probably do the same thing with the second unit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan may be in line for a 6th man role this coming season. He may not start the game but he will average more minutes per game than Tre Jones and will be out there with the starters minus Tre to finish games. I don't see him having a problem with this move since he already took on this role in college even though he was Baylor's best player.
    It’s not too bright to let their top scorer get comfortable and in a groove while Sochan waits to come off the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see Sochan and Collins both starting. Put the enforcers on the floor next to Wemby. Wemby can be the tallest small forward in history.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see so many people on here stuck with the archaic idea NEEDING a labeled PG or traditional PG.

The game has changed.

I think the Spurs are aware of this as well ( this is why they didn’t address adding a traditional PG.

Im ALL IN behind Sochan playing “ PG”, and it’s not necessarily wanting him to pound the air out of the basketball ball initiation offense majority of possessions.

That simply does not exist anymore in todays NBA with how the ball moves combined with the level of talent across every position. Not even Tre was THAT in the half court last year. He played mostly off the ball in the half court. He only averaged 1 more PnR opportunity a game than Keldon last season. The Spurs had a more collective approach.

At the end of the day, the best players will garner most opportunities or possessions to make plays by nature and common sense.

The reason behind why I prefer Sochan playing at the “PG” position is to unlock tremendous matchup edges on the perimeter on both ends of the floor — where targeting will not exist for opposing teams. Defensive versatility will be at its optimal capacity where you can go to any coverage and have an edge. The length will narrow passing & penetration lanes — which can maximize deflections/rebound/stops— which maximizes fast breaks/semi transition/easy opportunities.

Offensively, the Spurs will have a size/length advantage at nearly every opportunity or wrinkle in a ball movement heavy style of offense in primary or secondary opportunities from all 3 levels — and all but 1 player is capable to manufacture offense from the perimeter.

Quality versatility & length with universal ball skills will be the new NBA & the Spurs will now have a personnel edge most teams do not have. They would be foolish not to exploit this unique edge.

The floor general concept being narrowed into the labeled "PG" position box is overstated in the modern game as ball skills are becoming universal across all positions.

Spurs are going to have a "center" (Wemby) and "power forward" (Sochan) that will be able to manufacture offense and be an initiator on the perimeter. That is an example of how ball skills have evolved.

Zach - Wemby - KJ- Dev - Sochan can play together and the latter 4 can share responsibilities & playmaking duties. A collective attack.

Has anyone kept up with what the players, Brian Wright, and Pop have said in recent interviews?

Pretty sure this is it fwiw.

Hope everyone is doing well here.

Thread Information