Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't in SA at the time but did they really sell the Alamodome as a future NFL stadium? Did the Spurs decide to play there before it was built or after? I suppose the Spurs playing their for almost 10 years gave the impression that it wasn't a bust but that place looks like it was out of date when it opened, can't imagine the NFL agreeing to that stadium.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aware but SA is by far the largest city without a professional baseball and football team. If they can demonstrate a pre-existing plan for an NFL or MLB ready stadium plan in a really cool downtown location, you'd almost think it would just be a matter of time before one was awarded.
    Jerry Jones will never allow an NFL team here. We’re one of the best pure play secondary markets in the nation for his Cowboys. The Marlins tried to use us as leverage to get a new stadium, but when Wolfe realized that he had to put a deadline on the proposal, Miami vanished like a fart in the wind. We’re not getting either league’s franchise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea San Antonio will never have an NFL team. Jerry Jones (or his family after he croaks) would have to sign off on it, as would 2/3 of the other NFL owners. SA is way too financially valuable to Jerry and the Dallas Cowboys (97% of the city identifies as Cowboys fans). They’ll never allow it. Bad for business. And we’re definitely not getting a baseball team anytime soon. SA’s best bet was a professional soccer team, but Austin swooped in and stole that at the last minute.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aware but SA is by far the largest city without a professional baseball and football team. If they can demonstrate a pre-existing plan for an NFL or MLB ready stadium plan in a really cool downtown location, you'd almost think it would just be a matter of time before one was awarded.
    That’s the San Antonio mindset. Franchises are just awarded by the authorities on high once you check the right boxes. LOL.

The reality is that San Antonio will have to get on its horse and hustle to keep the Spurs. No other pro sports franchise is coming before 2100 at the earliest. SA just does not have and never will have the base of major corporate activity to provide the foundation for supporting another team. The Spurs basically HAVE to be the best organization in pro sports to survive in San Antonio.

Take baseball. San Antonio can’t get its act together on AAA, much less MLB. Meanwhile, Nashville, Charlotte, Montreal, and Portland all have ownership groups and stadium plans ready and waiting to go once MLB decides to expand around 2030 or so once the Rays’ situation gets squared away.

And NFL? Please. They’re already at 32. They already have the SA market locked down with the Dallas Cowboys. Their mind is geared toward international expansion if they do anything at all.

It is far, FAR likelier that SA s itself and loses the Spurs to Austin in spite of the Wemby windfall than it is that SA ever gets a second pro team.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, technically, you did call it the “Alamodome disaster”.
    Pretty sure that was someone else. But regardless, your point is well made that San Antonio made great use of the venue, as should be expected from a city that is so good with tourism and entertainment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I left San Antonio about 5 years ago, but this is the perfect spot to me.

Not building the ATT Center downtown in the first place was a colossal mistake. The County Commissioners in the article stating they want to develop a plan to keep the Spurs there is a doubling down on stupid.
    They can also tear down the Wood Courthouse since its a mold infested hole as well. Plenty of land for both arena and stadium.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't in SA at the time but did they really sell the Alamodome as a future NFL stadium? Did the Spurs decide to play there before it was built or after? I suppose the Spurs playing their for almost 10 years gave the impression that it wasn't a bust but that place looks like it was out of date when it opened, can't imagine the NFL agreeing to that stadium.
    Actually it was pitched as a dual sport stadiumfor football and baseball. The supporters released two architectural drawings of the proposed stadium and both were incredibly fantastic and futuristic. I seem to recall one looked a bit like Jerry World. Based on those drawings, voters went to the polls to vote and approve the building.
    Then the great switch occurred when the drawing of the current Alamodomr was released. Many of us were horrified by that design.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As others have said, Austin is very unlikely with ACL, SXSW, The Grand Prix, and other non-stop goings-on to be able to be a better home to the San Antonio Spurs. It doesn't work. A few games...sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Red sent a model or a cake of the Alamodome to the owners or the commissioner. It was embarrassing.

Bud Adams was still in Houston at the time, and the Cowboys were a huge draw. No way either of them was going to allow south Texas to have a competing fan base.

I loved watching games there. I don't think I ever saw a game at Hemisfair that wasn't obstructed view seating. It was great being able to see everything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually it was pitched as a dual sport stadiumfor football and baseball. The supporters released two architectural drawings of the proposed stadium and both were incredibly fantastic and futuristic. I seem to recall one looked a bit like Jerry World. Based on those drawings, voters went to the polls to vote and approve the building.
    Then the great switch occurred when the drawing of the current Alamodomr was released. Many of us were horrified by that design.
    If memory serves, the final design wouldn't work for baseball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If memory serves, the final design wouldn't work for baseball.
    Yes if memory serves because they refused to pay the extra 2 million or so to design the roof to be adequate for baseball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s the San Antonio mindset. Franchises are just awarded by the authorities on high once you check the right boxes. LOL.

The reality is that San Antonio will have to get on its horse and hustle to keep the Spurs. No other pro sports franchise is coming before 2100 at the earliest. SA just does not have and never will have the base of major corporate activity to provide the foundation for supporting another team. The Spurs basically HAVE to be the best organization in pro sports to survive in San Antonio.

Take baseball. San Antonio can’t get its act together on AAA, much less MLB. Meanwhile, Nashville, Charlotte, Montreal, and Portland all have ownership groups and stadium plans ready and waiting to go once MLB decides to expand around 2030 or so once the Rays’ situation gets squared away.

And NFL? Please. They’re already at 32. They already have the SA market locked down with the Dallas Cowboys. Their mind is geared toward international expansion if they do anything at all.

It is far, FAR likelier that SA s itself and loses the Spurs to Austin in spite of the Wemby windfall than it is that SA ever gets a second pro team.
    Precisely why I'm saying this opportunity to bundle a major sports entertainment complex in downtown SA should be done with an eye towards the future. And as I noted above, perhaps when JJ dies, his hold on the NFL ownership group goes with him if an allstar ownership group gets its proposal on point for SA expansion. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Red McCombs certainly thought he could move a team here but kept getting blocked by JJ.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh, by the way, McCombs has lifetime concession rights to every event there.
    He dead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It lasted his lifetime.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if his estate still gets the money.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be cool, and only fair for SA to get a pro baseball team. And football team for that matter, but Jerry Jobes has evidently had a lickdown on additional NFL teams coming to Texas for decades. Can't wait for that little demon to exit stage down
    San Antonio is a cowboys city and that isn't gonna change

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree they need to look at the future maybe professional soccer or baseball team to pair with the Spurs should be minimum. I don’t know if Jerry kicks the bucket gives them a chance at a NFL team as both Dallas and Houston would fight it. Either way it needs to be built close to the river walk

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nfl is never coming. It's eyeing international. Any expansion will be Durope and Mexico City.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nfl is never coming. It's eyeing international. Any expansion will be Durope and Mexico City.

yea that ship has probably sailed. And fans here wont show up to all those regular season baseball games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yea that ship has probably sailed. And fans here wont show up to all those regular season baseball games
    The thousands of empty seats at Spurs games last season are evidence of that.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. I don't want to pay $2 billion for an NFL stadium. Now for baseball maybe.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the dome needs to be imploded and upgraded

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if they built the new arena inside the Hemisphere??

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. I don't want to pay $2 billion for an NFL stadium. Now for baseball maybe.
    Pass on baseball. It’s dying notwithstanding the recent changes. Jones will NEVER allow Football in SA, and, honestly, SA is not a soccer town for a lot a misunderstood assumption about Hispanics.

This might sound weird, but if the economics make sense, I’d seriously consider SA for NHL. Sounds weird but I’ve now been to places like Tampa, Raleigh, and Vegas where warm weather fans go nuts for the sport (like wild). I also see it here in DC, where arguably it’s the most popular local team of all the sports. There is something about the fast pace, smaller team, and shorter game that will make it recognizable to a “basketball city” like SA.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pass on baseball. It’s dying notwithstanding the recent changes. Jones will NEVER allow Football in SA, and, honestly, SA is not a soccer town for a lot a misunderstood assumption about Hispanics.

This might sound weird, but if the economics make sense, I’d seriously consider SA for NHL. Sounds weird but I’ve now been to places like Tampa, Raleigh, and Vegas where warm weather fans go nuts for the sport (like wild). I also see it here in DC, where arguably it’s the most popular local team of all the sports. There is something about the fast pace, smaller team, and shorter game that will make it recognizable to a “basketball city” like SA.
    I'd love NHL too, I might take that over MLB. Feel bad seeing the US steal all of Canada's teams though. I went up to Toronto one time when I was 18 and got constantly asked if I played hockey and then I'd say no since San Antonio winter temps were like 18C. God Canadians seem to ing love hockey, hate to see that taken away with the NHL setting up in so many US cities now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd love NHL too, I might take that over MLB. Feel bad seeing the US steal all of Canada's teams though. I went up to Toronto one time when I was 18 and got constantly asked if I played hockey and then I'd say no since San Antonio winter temps were like 18C. God Canadians seem to ing love hockey, hate to see that taken away with the NHL setting up in so many US cities now.
    I always thought San Antonio could get a nhl team . Those iguana games were lit asf

Thread Information