Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Coyotes were allegedly up for relocation, but now it looks like they’ve figured out a way to build something in the East Valley with zero public money and no need for another referendum.

Expansion is a no-go. The NHL is at 32 teams already with recent moves into Vegas and Seattle. Once North American leagues get to 32 they’re basically done. Decades will go by before one of these leagues goes to 36 or 40.

If there were an NHL team looking to move (though if not even the Coyotes are up to it, who else is there?), San Antonio would be competing with freaking Houston. Coincidentally to this discussion, though, having both the AT&T Center and a new downtown arena would be an advantage for getting the NHL (unless the Holt group also owned the hockey team) since each team could have its own venue in which to control revenue. In Houston, unless Fer ta buys the team, there is no suitable separate venue, and being the Rockets’ tenant in Toyota Center is not a recipe for success.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still haven't heard anything about the potential location for the proposed multi-use facility. Politically speaking, it is no longer cool for governments to use eminent domain to take private property for public use because it ususally means taking away the areas where lots of poor people live as the "just compensation" is less than what the owners claim after talking to attorneys. I suspect that is why none of the housing to the east of the Dome was ever threatened by the use of eminent domain, although it might have been the logical solution to increasing parking for the Dome.

So far, any of the floated "downtown" locations I've heard mentioned aren't currently vacant and would stir up a lawsuit in a heartbeat if the City tried to take the properties, businesses, and housing away from the current owners. However, do you smell a rat when you hear that some property might be acquired up near the Pearl development. It's near to downtown, but that is nearly irrelevant since it has already been developed into a shopping and entertainment and residential complex. Imagine the extension of the river walk up to there and you have a pretty neat package to offer---assuming you have the site for a large sports complex with adequate parking. I know some additional space has been cleared in the area that is being used for parting right now. Cool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too tight a fit next to Pearl, but maybe across I-35 next to SAMA.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Problem with NHL is the season runs concurrent with the NBA. Don't think San Antonio fans will spend the money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Use the Brackenridge Muni golf course property

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Use the Brackenridge Muni golf course property
    Just checked Google maps. That’s almost as far from downtown as the ATT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love watching the Spurs play, but I’m really glad I live outside of SA & Bexar County tax zone so I won’t be paying my direct taxes to build a 3rd facility for the Spurs, a non-existent NFL or MLB team to play in. My taxes paid for the Alamodome & the current Arena. Unfortunately, San Antonio doesn’t have the requisite income demographic to support a NFL or MLB team, even if Houston & Dallas would agree to it. It’s a hard fact of life that the rich & influential employ the politicians to force those of modest means to pay for their luxury facilities so they don’t have to dig into their pockets. Ya’ll that live in the zone…. Have fun with that, & squeal like a pig!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. I don't want to pay $2 billion for an NFL stadium. Now for baseball maybe.
    baseball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love watching the Spurs play, but I’m really glad I live outside of SA & Bexar County tax zone so I won’t be paying my direct taxes to build a 3rd facility for the Spurs, a non-existent NFL or MLB team to play in. My taxes paid for the Alamodome & the current Arena. Unfortunately, San Antonio doesn’t have the requisite income demographic to support a NFL or MLB team, even if Houston & Dallas would agree to it. It’s a hard fact of life that the rich & influential employ the politicians to force those of modest means to pay for their luxury facilities so they don’t have to dig into their pockets. Ya’ll that live in the zone…. Have fun with that, & squeal like a pig!
    No one in Bexar County paid a dime for the ATT. It was funded almost entirely by out of towners via hotel and rental car taxes.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one in Bexar County paid a dime for the ATT. It was funded almost entirely by out of towners via hotel and rental car taxes.
    Anyone stupid enough to come here for vacation deserves to be soaked tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can you have lived in LA all those years and not enjoyed going to Dodger Stadium? SMH god damn Millennials

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Problem with NHL is the season runs concurrent with the NBA. Don't think San Antonio fans will spend the money.
    It was a bit of a headscratcher when SS&E sold the Rampage outside of the near-perfect COVID timing. I guess they were missing out of too many potential AT&T events with the dates already blacked out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can you have lived in LA all those years and not enjoyed going to Dodger Stadium? SMH god damn Millennials

Tbh i have. We’d go to the all you can eat pavilion out in right field and crush a bunch of dodger dogs and nachos

game was a side attraction

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh i have. We’d go to the all you can eat pavilion out in right field and crush a bunch of dodger dogs and nachos

Good times til about the 8th inning, that's when the MS-13 guys would threaten to meet you in the parking lot tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Damn you got San Antonio in your blood man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn you got San Antonio in your blood man
    Yeah but blessed with insane metabolism. Have never gone over 145 pounds

was genetically designed to survive in that environment

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good times til about the 8th inning, that's when the MS-13 guys would threaten to meet you in the parking lot tbh
    Seen much worse at raider games in Oakland and San Diego

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

!RemindMe 10 years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone stupid enough to come here for vacation deserves to be soaked tbh
    *raises hand*
    I love San Antonio. I'll pay a little extra.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, young feller. Just wait.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t eat like an animal anymore . My eating habits in college were abysmal. Escaped that lifestyle before it was too late. Used to have fast food at least 3x a week, had on average like 2 cans of soda a day.

haven’t had soda in the house for about 6 years now, and fast food maybe like twice a month. I dodged the health bullet when it counted

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t eat like an animal anymore . My eating habits in college were abysmal. Escaped that lifestyle before it was too late. Used to have fast food at least 3x a week, had on average like 2 cans of soda a day.

haven’t had soda in the house for about 6 years now, and fast food maybe like twice a month. I dodged the health bullet when it counted
    Yeah soda s you up after maybe 35. I drink soda like once a week now.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So this article was above the fold on today’s Sunday paper. I read it again and realized there’s no actual news in the story. According to “unnamed sources” the Spurs are examining possibilities regarding a new stadium over the next nine years? I imagine their stadium situation is always a matter for concern for them. I don’t have any unnamed sources in the Spurs FO and I could have told you that. Then a walk down the memory lane of our existing stadia and more Wembanyama hype. Sells papers and views, I suppose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why?

Larger seats?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

what are you, 5'6"

Thread Information