Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    do you seriously think it makes sense for a school with far less resources, history, and quality to compete with the highest level of compe ion? they can't even compete with mid-to-lower tier schools rofl

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    it's pretty simple. more subdivisions should be created so that uncompe ive programs like UTSA don't exist to merely be doormats. it's like expecting a bunch of 2A highschools to compete with 6A schools. not happening.
    Lol uncompe ive isn't fair but more subdivisions are definitely needed for schools like UTSA that at the current rate will never sniff the playoffs.

130+ schools at FBS level is ridiculous.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    winning cusa twice in a decade and otherwise struggling to be .500 isn't exactly compe ive

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Lol uncompe ive isn't fair but more subdivisions are definitely needed for schools like UTSA that at the current rate will never sniff the playoffs.

130+ schools at FBS level is ridiculous.
    Last I checked the highest ranked G5 conference champ is guaranteed a spot in the playoff. So they definitely have a chance. If that changes (which wouldn't be all that surprising with how rigged this is) then yeah it will be difficult.

And UTSA will usually be one of the top teams in what has always been considered the best G5 conference. FBS is definitely oversaturated but there's dozens of weaker programs that would be on the chopping block before anyone in the AAC would be.

winning cusa twice in a decade and otherwise struggling to be .500 isn't exactly compe ive
    The program is 13 years old, dip . Anyone that knows anything realizes that UTSA's emergence in such a short amount of time is actually impressive.

They're on a UCF-esque trajectory and they just got the call up to the big leagues.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Last I checked the highest ranked G5 conference champ is guaranteed a spot in the playoff. So they definitely have a chance. If that changes (which wouldn't be all that surprising with how rigged this is) then yeah it will be difficult.

And UTSA will usually be one of the top teams in what has always been considered the best G5 conference. FBS is definitely oversaturated but there's dozens of weaker programs that would be on the chopping block before anyone in the AAC would be.

The program is 13 years old, dip . Anyone that knows anything realizes that UTSA's emergence in such a short amount of time is actually impressive.

They're on a UCF-esque trajectory and they just got the call up to the big leagues.
    Yeah I guess UTSA moved from a .1% chance to a 1% make the playoffs.

You wouldn't rather be in a next group of 64 with better odds of winning that le?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    fbs could easily be broken into 3, maybe 4 tiers
    let's say 3 to be generous. utsa would have to choose between generally being bottom of 2nd tier or top of 3rd tier.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Yeah I guess UTSA moved from a .1% chance to a 1% make the playoffs.

You wouldn't rather be in a next group of 64 with better odds of winning that le?
    Buddy, UTSA has a much higher chance than 1% to win the AAC. I would argue that being an elite G5 team is an easier path to get to the playoff than being a middle to lower tier P5 program. And the results + recruiting the past few years (relative to G5 peers) suggests that UTSA is already a Top 10 G5 program.

But obviously I'd still rather be P5 because of all the other benefits that come with it.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    fbs could easily be broken into 3, maybe 4 tiers
    let's say 3 to be generous. utsa would have to choose between generally being bottom of 2nd tier or top of 3rd tier.
    There's a lot of dead weight, low ceiling programs in FBS. And that includes plenty of P5s. I don't think UTSA is one. Again, the parallels to UCF have been mentioned ad nauseam by many. They should be P5 worthy in a decade or two, imo. The question is if the P5 will even exist then.

Post Count
    Would be interesting if college football had some type of system like English soccer, where you move up or down divisions based on your success. At least I think that's how it works -- I don't really know.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    There's a lot of dead weight, low ceiling programs in FBS. And that includes plenty of P5s. I don't think UTSA is one. Again, the parallels to UCF have been mentioned ad nauseam by many. They should be P5 worthy in a decade or two, imo. The question is if the P5 will even exist then.
    ucf would be mid to bottom second tier or top of third tier in aforementioned scenario too rofl

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    ucf would be mid to bottom second tier or top of third tier in aforementioned scenario too rofl
    Enrollment, city/market size, fertile recruiting grounds, no NFL team

UCF and UTSA haven't even reached their ceilings. UCF was already near the top in Big 12 recruiting rankings (excluding UT & OU) in just their first year. UTSA just signed the top G5 class last season. If you don't know anything about CFB outside the big schools then just say so.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    LMMFAO at all the shiot talkers on UTSA football. I remember individuals saying it would take UTSA 40yrs to beat G5 or P5 program. What has been done in just 12yrs is simply amazing. To think otherwise is just straight dumb. UTSA went from not even having a practice field in 2010 to moving from nothing, to FCS to FBS to winning CUSA in 12yrs. Say what you want haters, but NOONE but true Roadrunners ever thought this was possible. So keep hating ya bunch uh losers. Its very easy to talk shiot when your football program has been around almost 150yrs or more.

Birds UP!!! Lets go 210!!!

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Enrollment, city/market size, fertile recruiting grounds, no NFL team

UCF and UTSA haven't even reached their ceilings. UCF was already near the top in Big 12 recruiting rankings (excluding UT & OU) in just their first year. UTSA just signed the top G5 class last season. If you don't know anything about CFB outside the big schools then just say so.
    oh so basically everything they do is middle of the pack among fbs at best. exactly what I've been saying all along. thanks for confirming

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    LMMFAO at all the shiot talkers on UTSA football. I remember individuals saying it would take UTSA 40yrs to beat G5 or P5 program. What has been done in just 12yrs is simply amazing. To think otherwise is just straight dumb. UTSA went from not even having a practice field in 2010 to moving from nothing, to FCS to FBS to winning CUSA in 12yrs. Say what you want haters, but NOONE but true Roadrunners ever thought this was possible. So keep hating ya bunch uh losers. Its very easy to talk shiot when your football program has been around almost 150yrs or more.

Birds UP!!! Lets go 210!!!
    I don't think it's a shocker that they got around to winning a lousy conference. they are a Texas team, and carry the UT name. they were bound to occasionally have some decent seasons among some really bad ones too.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    I don't think it's a shocker that they got around to winning a lousy conference. they are a Texas team, and carry the UT name. they were bound to occasionally have some decent seasons among some really bad ones too.
    So what are you trying to say?

We underachieved? We are on the schedule everyone thought we would be? LOL

Go HORNS!!! Its easy to root for the 1st football team in Texas that has a 789 yr history in football.
    Last edited by lebomb; 12-15-2023 at 11:41 AM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Go HORNS!!! Its easy to root for the 1st football team in Texas that has a 789 yr history in football.
    all ive said is that they are a middle of the pack program in current fbs, at their absolute best. ahead of schedule? perhaps in the minds of some. will they ever be on par with programs like bama, usc, ou, texas, ohio st, michigan, georgia, etc... ? no.

therefore, by creating subdivisions, they can compete for a championship among comparable compe ion, instead of beating crap compe ion but never being good enough do anything other than the occasional upset of a higher tier program on a down year (and zero chance at a national championship). last year was their best season yet, but they still lost by 21 to a texas team that wasnt very good, didnt take them seriously, and was starting hudson card lol. oh and then losing the cure bowl (rofl) to troy roflroflrofl

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    lets also add some more perspective

so far UTSAs record against P5 programs (with the exception of texas last year, they have been playing solely against mid-to-low tier programs among those conferences, such as baylor, okst, aggie, az st...)

2-18

the two wins being against

2017 baylor (1-11 team rofl)
    2021 illinois (5-7 team)

so id say im being very positive in saying they are a middle of pack program at best. im legit not trying to troll or anything.

Post Count
    lets also add some more perspective

so far UTSAs record against P5 programs (with the exception of texas last year, they have been playing solely against mid-to-low tier programs among those conferences, such as baylor, okst, aggie, az st...)

2-18

the two wins being against

2017 baylor (1-11 team rofl)
    2021 illinois (5-7 team)

so id say im being very positive in saying they are a middle of pack program at best. im legit not trying to troll or anything.
    The program is not much more than a decade old. That's nothing. I think you can judge based on the last 3 or 4 years and they have been solid.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The program is not much more than a decade old. That's nothing. I think you can judge based on the last 3 or 4 years and they have been solid.
    for their situation, yes. if you read my posts, I have not said otherwise at any point

but as far as being a compe ive fbs team? at the highest level, they have not even competed, except for playing a mediocre texas team who beat them by 21. oh and then this year they played a decent Tennessee team who beat them by 31, almost forgot about that.

as of now, they compete well among middle to lower tier teams. thus i said, if fbs was broken into 3 tiers, they would generally be at the top of the 3rd tier, bottom to middle of 2nd tier.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Buddy, UTSA has a much higher chance than 1% to win the AAC. I would argue that being an elite G5 team is an easier path to get to the playoff than being a middle to lower tier P5 program. And the results + recruiting the past few years (relative to G5 peers) suggests that UTSA is already a Top 10 G5 program.

But obviously I'd still rather be P5 because of all the other benefits that come with it.
    Lol what benefits is there for you as a fan if they moved to a P5 just to be a doormat every year?

An undefeated conference USA school should be ahead of a one loss AAC school. And if a CUSA school has more impressive non conference wins than an undefeated AAC school, they're probably in.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count

You'll be on schedule to be horns level in no time!

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Would be interesting if college football had some type of system like English soccer, where you move up or down divisions based on your success. At least I think that's how it works -- I don't really know.
    Thats basically how it works and it would be interesting but there are some logistical problems with numbers and establishing divisions to begin with. I’m sure people have looked into it. The cool thing is it has flexibility as teams rise and fall. Teams with a fantastic history but a historically horrible demise may not like some aspects the beginning of what I am imagining And they still have a very large following. Smaller schools with a successful recent history might not like it either.

And the big difference is the playoff system. There are no playoffs to win a league in the top division. It’s very pure. Best record wins. Done. So games throughout the season matter. It’s great if you get significantly better at the end of a season but you can’t f up the beginning if other teams get hot at the end of a season. You would not have something like the Buccaneers, Saints, Falcons having a chance to win the whole thing with an under .500 regular season record. So Imo it requires die hard fans to work. You will find this in much of soccer because the teams are so old and are also generational familial entertainment. You grow up with a team influenced by your town and neighborhood.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Trey Moore visiting Alabama now.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Birds win!

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    210 for the win!! 35-17

Owen McCown defeated Chad Pennington. Both dads played in the NFL.

Thread Information