Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    middle of the pack at best, isnt really compe ive. if they created a lower subdivision where they had legit shots to win championships, then yes they would be quite compe ive.
    If you want to relegate anybody that doesn't have a legit chance at championships that would be like 95% of FBS. What, you want like a 10 team subdivision full of just blue bloods?

which is why they belong in a lower subdivision. otherwise, they are simply not elite among their current subdivision.

Besides the main reason for this is that the system is rigged and not bc a program like UTSA is inherently inferior.

no one is saying excluding teams that are perennial top 25 programs that can make some noise in the playoffs from time to time. just exclude the ones who generally have no chance at that at this point in time. like UTSA. and have a system that relegates bottom feeders to a lower subdivision, and promotes dominant programs to a higher subdivision from time to time (say once every 4-5 years). so if a program like UTSA dominates a lower subdivision for a few seasons, they can have a shot at competing against the top programs, and prove if they belong or not.
    I brought up UCF and you scoffed at them too. Perennial Top 25 with playoff appearances is very realistic for UCF in the near future.

I'd be down with a promotion/relegation system but that's a pipe dream.

keep in mind you are talking about a university that is an offspring of UT (one of the biggest football programs ever), in the state of texas (biggest football state in america), in the city of San Antonio (7th most populated city in america), compared to smaller texas cities like denton or elpaso, or places like norfolk virginia, or mobile alabama
    Ok, so like I said...what they have done is not the norm.

And those same things you listed are the same reasons UTSA has a much higher ceiling than programs that are actually uncompe ive.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    P5 fans are adorable
    Lol was tired of being a Sooner/Longhorn door mat. I'm glad they're gone

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    I should have been more specific about the big money P5s.

I mean it's mainly a money thing now. 's going to be cannibalized to such an extent that the SEC will be looking for ways to kick out Vanderbilt or something like that.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    If UTSA had a good basketball program they’d be in the Big XII already. For example, U of H is in the Big XII mainly because of basketball, their football team is never going to be good enough to compete. However, as UTSA continues to build they are going to have to draw in more local vendorship and endorsements.
    Facilities are way behind. The Alamodome is great for the time being but as it ages we'll need a true OCS. Basketball arena and baseball "stadium" are lower tier. Like Southland conference quality.

Good news is some facilities have been built and others are on the way. It will just take time unless we get a Tillman Fer ta. That's why I think they're still at least a decade or two away. I mean tbf, UTSA was supposed to be FCS for like a decade before even moving up to FBS. Realignment over the past decade fast tracked everything and facilities still have a lot of catching up to do.

I didn't throw anything in, it's literally what he wrote. and you replied "100% in agreement"
    He was talking about UH's football team.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    tre moore commitex to texas........a cap student made it to the flagship.....something lebomb & ChumpDumper & FkLA couldnt do..............

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    tre moore commitex to texas........a cap student made it to the flagship.....something lebomb & ChumpDumper & FkLA couldnt do..............
    Oh I definitely qualified. Didn't even have to break a sweat on a playing field.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    If you want to relegate anybody that doesn't have a legit chance at championships that would be like 95% of FBS. What, you want like a 10 team subdivision full of just blue bloods?
    never said that. in fact you quoted exactly what i said down below. so im not sure where you get this from.

Besides the main reason for this is that the system is rigged and not bc a program like UTSA is inherently inferior.
    is the issue that its rigged, or that putting 130 teams into a conference in which players can choose the program they want to attend (and would generally pick the programs with the most resources and are proven to give them the best chance at developing into a professional) is simply a poor idea?

this is why more subdivisions simply make more sense. it would be absurd to expect USFL teams to compete with the NFL, or AAA to compete with MLB. thats basically the difference in talent level we are talking about here, or even worse in some cases. i dont hold that against UTSA. i hold it against a system that is poorly designed.

I brought up UCF and you scoffed at them too. Perennial Top 25 with playoff appearances is very realistic for UCF in the near future.
    not sure about that, but they deserve their chance. we will see. not a great start this year though by getting completely dominated in the b12, after being at or near the top of the AAC for the previous 6 seasons.

i think any teams that are able to win g5 conferences regularly should be given a fair opportunity to compete at a higher level. if they prove they can handle it, great. if they cant handle it, then they drop back down a subdivision, retool, and try again.

Ok, so like I said...what they have done is not the norm.

And those same things you listed are the same reasons UTSA has a much higher ceiling than programs that are actually uncompe ive.
    never disagreed. you continue to think im crapping on utsa, but im not. im crapping on the system. i think its severely flawed.

He was talking about UH's football team.
    and was comparing the situation to utsa. that their football team will likely never be good enough, but get a good enough basketball program and you can join a p5 conference.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    never said that. in fact you quoted exactly what i said down below. so im not sure where you get this from.

is the issue that its rigged, or that putting 130 teams into a conference in which players can choose the program they want to attend (and would generally pick the programs with the most resources and are proven to give them the best chance at developing into a professional) is simply a poor idea?
    A third of NFL players come from non-p5. You can develop into an NFL player anywhere.

But I generally agree with the rest. The system is ed and on top of that rigged to keep the same elites at the top. NIL + immediate eligibility for transfers has basically turned it into who can money whip who.

this is why more subdivisions simply make more sense. it would be absurd to expect USFL teams to compete with the NFL, or AAA to compete with MLB. thats basically the difference in talent level we are talking about here, or even worse in some cases. i dont hold that against UTSA. i hold it against a system that is poorly designed.
    Where do you draw the line though? Yeah, the difference between the national champ and the worst G5 is astronomical. But so is the difference between the national champ and a doormat P5.

not sure about that, but they deserve their chance. we will see. not a great start this year though by getting completely dominated in the b12, after being at or near the top of the AAC for the previous 6 seasons.
    Takes a little bit of time dude. They're going from $7 mill/yr media deal in AAC to what like $25 mill/yr in the Big 12? They were Top 3 in recruiting their first year. Let those things work their magic. Wouldn't surprise me if they end up running the Big 12 eventually.

I think any teams that are able to win g5 conferences regularly should be given a fair opportunity to compete at a higher level. if they prove they can handle it, great. if they cant handle it, then they drop back down a subdivision, retool, and try again.
    Fair but a pipe dream.

and was comparing the situation to utsa. that their football team will likely never be good enough, but get a good enough basketball program and you can join a p5 conference.
    UCF got the invite because of their football program. Their bball isn't anything special. That's the best path for UTSA. UTSA Bball has way too long of a way to go to depend on it to help you reach P5.

I also think he's underselling UH football a bit. They were a G5 elite before they got called up and have made big investments in facilities. They were P5 worthy, imo. Their only issue is Houston has so many pro teams which makes them an afterthought a lot of the time.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    glad you see it
    That was about University of Houston football, why they are in the Big 12 due to their BBall program and not football. I think it’s the opposite for UTSA. The football program is getting there but their basketball program isn’t. If it was they could be in a better conference. Basically, UTSA will need their other programs to step up to move along to a better conference.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Honestly this makes the cfp possible for the Red Raiders. Easier conf & 12 teams. Any team that wins their “power” conf. go automatically. That’s the rule right now.

And really the Sooners controlled the Big 12. Twelve les to five (for UT)

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    A third of NFL players come from non-p5.
    is that true? id like to see proof of that.

You can develop into an NFL player anywhere.
    never said otherwise. and if 2/3 of nfl players come from p5, then that quickly proves that schools that compete at the highest level of compe ion churn out more nfl players. not to mention what percentage of them are drafted, or drafted in the top rounds when they attend elite schools like alabama, ohio state, etc...

Where do you draw the line though? Yeah, the difference between the national champ and the worst G5 is astronomical. But so is the difference between the national champ and a doormat P5.
    the difference between national championship level teams and very best p5 is usually quite big too. ex - 2021 cincy vs bama.

also its not uncommon that doormat p5s still dominate g5 schools. lets take vanderbilt for example, a well established cfb doormat in a p5 conference. over the past 10 years, they have been a lousy 36-83. yet their record against g5 schools is 14-5.

regardless, i dont think all current p5 schools should be in the top subdivision, if they were to ever adopt that model. i think 30-40 teams should be the max per subdivision, if they want to generate the most compe ion, and have a chance at a bit more parity.

Takes a little bit of time dude. They're going from $7 mill/yr media deal in AAC to what like $25 mill/yr in the Big 12? They were Top 3 in recruiting their first year. Let those things work their magic. Wouldn't surprise me if they end up running the Big 12 eventually.
    it also wouldnt surprise me if they end up being doormats either. i really dont care either way, i just want to see more consistently compe ive games in college football. the number of 30+ point blowouts that happen each week is just obnoxious.

UCF got the invite because of their football program. Their bball isn't anything special. That's the best path for UTSA. UTSA Bball has way too long of a way to go to depend on it to help you reach P5.
    the basketball take wasnt mind, and i dont necessarily agree with it fully either.

i would agree utsas best chance is definitely through football. however i simply dont think they can ever compete consistently at the level of established programs like bama, ohio st, ou, tx, etc... and to expect them to do so isnt fair at all. again, its like expecting a 2A HS to compete with a 5A or 6A, the cir stances simply dont allow that to be the case (again, its not UTSAs fault, its just the truth of the situation, those programs have far more resources and history). which is why a lower subdivision would be best. then they can go and win championships and be recognized for their good work, on a more fair playing field. and perhaps work their way up to eventually being able to compete occasionally on a higher level. i think its better for the kids as well, to actually enter a season thinking they have a legit chance to compete for a championship. i think its dumb that 100 teams every year basically know that they have absolutely no chance at a championship, to have programs where freshmen coming in knowing that they will probably spend 4 years working their butt off, not make the nfl, and only win 2-3 games every season. at least give those kids some kind of chance to compete and achieve something reasonable (like a lower level championship). maybe im wrong, but thats my view on it.

I also think he's underselling UH football a bit. They were a G5 elite before they got called up and have made big investments in facilities. They were P5 worthy, imo. Their only issue is Houston has so many pro teams which makes them an afterthought a lot of the time.
    i agree, i think their football team was solid enough to qualify them to be a lower level p5.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    I qualified too. Finished top 10% of my class back in the day. I chose to stay home. Had a fantastic job and went to school full time. Also, I did not have to be a convicted felon to get my college degree. Congratulations bro.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    Oh I definitely qualified. Didn't even have to break a sweat on a playing field.
    I qualified too. Finished top 10% of my class back in the day. I chose to stay home. Had a fantastic job and went to school full time. Also, I did not have to be a convicted felon to get my college degree. Congratulations bro.
    every utsa student who says they qualified for texas never has proof.......no one would willing chose to get a degree from a diploma mill commuter school over the flagship college of texas........

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    every utsa student who says they qualified for texas never has proof.......no one would willing chose to get a degree from a diploma mill commuter school over the flagship college of texas........
    You have no proof of your claim.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    You have no proof of your claim.
    you have no proof that he has no proof of his claim.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count

Its all good..........Happy New Year

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Ok, you got me. I always wanted to be a Longhorn grad. I dreamt about it as a young lad. Approaching the end of my highschool days I applied 75 times to UT and was gracefully denied each and everytime. I hate it that my one and only dream of being a Longhorn NEVER materialized and actually I havent been able to eat or sleep in the last 20 years because of my failure as a human being not being able to walk the campus of Austin U. I guess I will just have to grab the jergens, walk to the nearest corner and smack my chicken to make myself feel better for a few fleeting moments. Goodbye.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Ok, you got me. I always wanted to be a Longhorn grad. I dreamt about it as a young lad. Approaching the end of my highschool days I applied 75 times to UT and was gracefully denied each and everytime. I hate it that my one and only dream of being a Longhorn NEVER materialized and actually I havent been able to eat or sleep in the last 20 years because of my failure as a human being not being able to walk the campus of Austin U. I guess I will just have to grab the jergens, walk to the nearest corner and smack my chicken to make myself feel better for a few fleeting moments. Goodbye.

you missed

I was always a soccer fan. I enjoyed watching the Premier League. But recently, my friend showed me a game of Colts, and I fell in love with them. The game was so dynamic, unpredictable, and engaging. I could not expect that the NFL could be that interesting. Now, I regularly watch the Colts game. So far, we are using a Sports Stat platform to watch the games, but I am keen to watch a game in real life. Can someone tell me how to buy tickets?
    Last edited by DavidTheGoliath; 03-22-2024 at 07:36 AM.

Thread Information