Page 187 of 244 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191197237 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,675 of 6083
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most rational explanation I find for PATFO not tanking is that they don't see any player worth a top5 pick salary.

Someone posted the top10 salaries and it's actually insane for mostly one and dones that need years of developpement

I can see PATFO going for a Castle or Cody that can't shoot but have great potentials

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting
    I doubt he'll play in the combine- but you wonder how well this will translate to exponentially more athletic NBA
    It's reassuring he's continuing to produce in the tournament

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I'd like to see his happy look next year if the best prospect of the class ends up taken a couple of spots before by one of the teams that were tanking today (all of them) and kicking ass.
    This a very complicated case, Ariel. A lot of ins, lot of outs, lot of what have you's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dalton’s rebounding prowess combined with his scoring will make him really useful in lineups with Wemby

i think we all know that the team overall struggles to score in general and that’s due to the fact the team lacks players that can “get theirs”. This is why I am opposed to getting a draft prospect whose greatest strength is catch and shoot

What we also know is that while Tre is a positive in lineups with Wemby, that the team doesnt struggle to survive without him in it anymore. And when he is on the bench and Wesley is playing, the team shifts to a mode where anyone becomes the point guard. IMO, I still think it’s possible they won’t go traditional PG in their future plans, so we could see:

PG: Dalton
    SG: Vassell
    SF: Champagnie or free agent
    PF: Sochan
    C: Wemby

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This a very complicated case, Ariel. A lot of ins, lot of outs, lot of what have you's.
    When the fear of missing out drives your decisions, it never bodes well IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dalton’s rebounding prowess combined with his scoring will make him really useful in lineups with Wemby

i think we all know that the team overall struggles to score in general and that’s due to the fact the team lacks players that can “get theirs”. This is why I am opposed to getting a draft prospect whose greatest strength is catch and shoot

What we also know is that while Tre is a positive in lineups with Wemby, that the team doesnt struggle to survive without him in it anymore. And when he is on the bench and Wesley is playing, the team shifts to a mode where anyone becomes the point guard. IMO, I still think it’s possible they won’t go traditional PG in their future plans, so we could see:

PG: Dalton
    SF: Champagnie or free agent
    C: Wemby
    I was on board with Dalton early on this board when he was mocked like late teens. I'm more onboard now. He has tons of on ball reps that takes 19 year olds years to learn in the NBA. Used to play point guard. Very patient in the pnr. Great shooter and scorer. Looks to have a good vertical. Looks to have a really great wingspan. We'll probably pick 5-7. I would take him there and look for more gradual Derrick White esque improvement (players can continue to get better). His defense on ball is questionable but basic pnr with Wemby could be incredible for the offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The impact of Spurs winning some games on their draft pick shouldn't be exaggerated.

Spurs will finish between the 3rd worst and 5th worth team:
    - The 3rd worst team has a 52% odd of getting a top4 pick. If they don't get lucky, their pick will be centered around #6.
    - The 5th worst team has a 42% odd of getting a top4 pick. If they don't get lucky, their pick will be centered around #7.

I rather see Spurs finishing in the bottom 3 but if they keep wining some games, it won't mean their pick will turn into trash. The 2019 changes on the draft lottery have been made to limit the benefit of hard tanking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suppose my initial comment about making Wemby happy is in response to the year long angst and dread of Wemby's happiness being the number one goal. I wouldn't bench Wemby but giving minutes to Cissoko could be a middle ground.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn’t a thing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The impact of Spurs winning some games on their draft pick shouldn't be exaggerated.

Spurs will finish between the 3rd worst and 5th worth team:
    - The 3rd worst team has a 52% odd of getting a top4 pick. If they don't get lucky, their pick will be centered around #6.
    - The 5th worst team has a 42% odd of getting a top4 pick. If they don't get lucky, their pick will be centered around #7.

I rather see Spurs finishing in the bottom 3 but if they keep wining some games, it won't mean their pick will turn into trash. The 2019 changes on the draft lottery have been made to limit the benefit of hard tanking.
    It's not about superstar vs. trash, it's about missing on THAT guy. It can ultimately make a huge difference between drafting 3,4,5 or 6. Ask some teams through history about it. And we're nobody to say all the kids this year from 1 to 7 are completely equal. they won't have the same career. It's elite sport, the difference between good to great can be thin, and lie between a 3th or 5th pick.

I wanted Miller over Scoot last year. You could say "hey 2nd or 3rd that's still a great pick! Except If I had #3 instead of #2, I probably would have had to pick with Scoot who might end up as a good player but I believe MIller have more chances in modern NBA to be a bigger difference maker and more valuable player.

And it matters for the whole draft, where you want the highest pick you can no matter what, and one pick can make a huge difference. Spurs picked 28th in 2013 and you could say "hey, 28,27,29... Who cares?" Except they had Gobert as their choice at 28 who was picked...27th. Instead spurs picked Livio Jean Charles. A one pick difference at the bottom of the first round went from a future perennial defensive player of the year who could have been associated with Duncan to a player who never played for the spurs.

So yeah, you want no matter what the best possible pick to at least take the player YOU want, so you have no regrets... Then if it fails, it fails. But statiscally, the higher you pick the better the chances at a better player.
    Last edited by JPB; 03-30-2024 at 09:45 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn’t a thing
    Yeah that Sochan as a PG wasn’t a thing either until it was

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JPB, I hear what you're saying. I think there is a lot of luck involved all around but it still comes down to talent evaluation. Passing on Halliburton and Sengun hurts, so even with a gifted opportunity it can be blown. Fingers crossed for this year. Though the talent may be hard to decipher, how the team chooses to make a plan to build the team is hugely important. Anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree it's definitely possible. Dalton has played point guard before, which is a helpful distinction. He just outgrew the position as he hit a huge growth spurt. He has a lot of experience as lead ball handler in pnr situations. That's his potential upside that's overlooked, which I think is your point.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s great to see some of you see the big picture of a victor / Edey pairing!

Okc will a brick with us getting Edey; defense would be stupid once Eady started playing mean….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JPB, I hear what you're saying. I think there is a lot of luck involved all around but it still comes down to talent evaluation. Passing on Halliburton and Sengun hurts, so even with a gifted opportunity it can be blown. Fingers crossed for this year. Though the talent may be hard to decipher, how the team chooses to make a plan to build the team is hugely important. Anyway.
    That one shouldn’t even sting a little. We have the far superior product now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree it's definitely possible. Dalton has played point guard before, which is a helpful distinction. He just outgrew the position as he hit a huge growth spurt. He has a lot of experience as lead ball handler in pnr situations. That's his potential upside that's overlooked, which I think is your point.
    We don’t need a traditional point guard anyway, we need competent playmakers & shooters. Our offense will run through the VW moving forward.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hali + Sengun or Vassell + VW? I say the VW combo…..celebrate being the cat that lands on your feet vs your head! Some here hasn’t figured that out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting the young players some wins to move into the offseason is more valuable than some percentage points in the lottery. Dropping a couple slots in this draft isn't a bad thing. You're not missing any great players and you'll pay less for who you do get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyway, we could always pursue Murray. It would be a big jolt of iden y to the offense.

PG: Murray
    SF: Dalton
    C: Victor

With Murray, Dalton, Sochan all able to be solid rebounders without crowding the paint when Victor wants to play like a wing on offense, while being super versatile on defense and keeping Victor as the defensive anchor in the paint… I think that’s a lineup to be reckoned with.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyway, we could always pursue Murray. It would be a big jolt of iden y to the offense.

PG: Murray
    SF: Dalton
    C: Victor

With Murray, Dalton, Sochan all able to be solid rebounders without crowding the paint when Victor wants to play like a wing on offense, while being super versatile on defense and keeping Victor as the defensive anchor in the paint… I think that’s a lineup to be reckoned with.
    Not too shabby but I’d prefer a:

Lavine
    Vassell
    Sochan
    VW
    Edey

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about superstar vs. trash, it's about missing on THAT guy. It can ultimately make a huge difference between drafting 3,4,5 or 6. Ask some teams through history about it. And we're nobody to say all the kids this year from 1 to 7 are completely equal. they won't have the same career. It's elite sport, the difference between good to great can be thin, and lie between a 3th or 5th pick.
    Off course, teams want to pick as high as possible. My point is that the new draft lottery system flatten differences between the worst teams. The 5th worst team don't get on average a pick that is 2 slot worst than the 3rd.

For reference, average pick number for the worst teams with the current lottery system:
    1: 3.7
    2: 3.9
    3: 4.1
    4: 4.4
    5: 5.0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol Knecht as a pg wtf you guys smoking

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That moment you realize the Spurs haven’t been tanking all season… this record is just the product of their terrible roster construction and coaching decisions…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And how did that go?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We cut Primo, remember?

Thread Information