Page 236 of 314 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240246286 ... LastLast
Results 5,876 to 5,900 of 7835
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IDK I'd have considered at least Anthony Davis, Luka, and Zion Tier 1 prospects at the time they were picked.
    Luka wasn't projected to go #1 in his draft, Ayton was, so he'd have to be tier #1 if you include Luka (and I think Bagley went #2 so he'd be there too if we include Luka). Remember, tiers are pre-draft. Laka would be there if we were re-ranking after the fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley was a very raw combo guard and a FLYER at 25 (as most late picks are). Tre was a SECOND ROUND pick, and Primo wasn't a PG, he was a SG who they tried to turn into a playmaking combo guard until he decided to go for "shorter shorts". To try to portray the Spurs as biased towards picking PGs is completely at odds with reality.
    At the end of the day, they picked all these kids to play PG, and 5 years in (where they picked 9, 11 and 12) still haven't their starter throught the draft, notably passing on guys like Maxey or haliburton these last few years... sure they had Dejounte until up 2022 but still.

To such a point (pun intended) they had to try Sochan there... That's obviously a big failure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting list. I like Matas but I’m surprised you have him 1, that said, I do think he will be one of the guys that will benefit most from the combine and 1-1 workouts. I forget he hasn’t been playing for a while now.

I struggle with Sarr, but as TIMVP notes, at some point you have to preserve the asset so there is that. I personally would move Salange into the top 6. Otherwise I see the world mostly the same.
    My top 3 are really close and I'd be fine with any. Sarr, i don't like the fit, but I can't drop him lower based on bpa there. Ibreally like the Salaun upside, but the downside is more likely than the guys above (who also have upside), at least in my mind.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka wasn't projected to go #1 in his draft, Ayton was, so he'd have to be tier #1 if you include Luka (and I think Bagley went #2 so he'd be there too if we include Luka). Remember, tiers are pre-draft. Laka would be there if we were re-ranking after the fact.
    I'm going by what tier I would have rated them. I badly wanted Doncic in that draft in exchange for Kawhi to the Kings when he was a teenager who won Euroleague MVP in a league where they hate playing NBA bound teenagers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure a lot of franchises followed the same logic when they talked themselves out of Giannis, Jokic or Luka (yes, even he was passed for Ayton and Bagley). Any argument that starts with finding patterns based on where someone was born belongs in the garbage.
    sorry but that's not true. First of all we're talking PGs here, so Giannis or Jokic are ot of the discussions. And second, long term stats clearly show there are very few foreign PGs who succeeded, even as decent back up in the NBA... Even when they come in their prime like Teodosic and Micic, 2 Euroleague MVPs.

PG is a very particular position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the end of the day, they picked all these kids to play PG, and 5 years in (where they picked 9, 11 and 12) still haven't their starter throught the draft, notably passing on guys like Maxey or haliburton these last few years... sure they had Dejounte until up 2022 but still.

To such a point (pun intended) they had to try Sochan there... That's obviously a big failure.
    Well... maybe it's time they draft an ACTUAL PG to play PG, that should go a long way into ending the failed experiments, don't you think? Personally I think Wemby would love Dillingham.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's where I disagree.

I don't believe you should pick a PG no matter what just because you need one, indepnedently of quailty, if that's another guy who may end up on your bench. That's precisely how spurs ended up with Wesley, who may have been a top 10 pick this year, lottery for sure, and many spurs fans had great expectations for... 2 years later, "he's not into the equation anymore". Not to mention Primo...

Let's not fantasize too much about these kids, specially this year. As Givony mentioned in his last mock draft Dilly is a very polarizing player and many throughout the league doubt he's a starter in a winning team

Wemby needs help and I personnally don't wanna see him spending the next two years with Tre and a developing rookie with uncertain potential as his PGs. Reason why I'm in the trade for Trae or Murray train. I'm with Scott here, might as well look somewhere else and pick SFs or frontcourt players in this draft (then use FA/trades to get your quality guards).

If Dilly turns out to be meh, that's would be 3 PGs picked in 4 years (4 in 5 years if you add Tre in the SR) picked wthout finding your starter... Tre, Primo, Wesley, Dilly... Maybe it's time to forget the draft to find it.
    I'm not saying you have to pick a point guard. I'm saying don't hold out for another Luka to take a PG. You wouldn't get him anyways even if there was another one because he'd go #1. Wesley seemed like another well let's draft for size at the PG just like Primo and George Hill and of the three Wesley is the only one not a defensive traffic cone anyways.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess I'll have to copy/paste the European point guard post yet again.
    Here's the most important bit.

Foreign* guards in recent drafts:
    2022: #7 Dyson Daniels
    2021: #6 Josh Giddey
    2020: #7 Killian Hayes
    2018: #3 Luka Doncic
    2017: #8 Frank Ntilikina
    2015: #5 Mario Hezonja, #7 Emmanuel Mudiay
    2014: #27 Bogdan Bogdanovic (came over in 2017 at 25 years old)
    2013: #17 Dennis Schroeder

*Foreign as in NBA being their first American basketball experience, I'm not counting foreign players that went to college.

You have to go all the way back to 2009 and Ricky Rubio to find another legit European point guard and he was the biggest Euro point guard prospect until Luka.

Comparing Topic to Rubio is insulting.

Anyhow, all these guys have way too high bust potential. While if you draft a wing with solid size, you can always turn him into KBD or similar.
    Hezonja was/is a wing and Bogdanovic was a combo guard who has been more of an off guard in the NBA.

Not really a Topic guy (at least for the Spurs), but he debatably (Schroder) has more primary creator potential than all but Doncic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well... maybe it's time they draft an ACTUAL PG to play PG, that should go a long way into ending the failed experiments, don't you think? Personally I think Wemby would love Dillingham.
    You have a "point" here...

With in mind that all we guys perorations stay what they are until we know where the spurs actually draft... If they pick #1, I believe they go with Risacher. #2, I'm not sure, prabably Sarr or try to trade down... Lower, they may indeed go with Dilly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sorry but that's not true. First of all we're talking PGs here, so Giannis or Jokic are ot of the discussions. And second, long term stats clearly show there are very few foreign PGs who succeeded, even as decent back up in the NBA... Even when they come in their prime like Teodosic and Micic, 2 Euroleague MVPs.

PG is a very particular position.
    You might be talking PGs, I'm talking about a fallacious reasoning that ends in disaster. But if you want to go for PGs, then how about Tony? Some passed on him because he was from France and surely that meant he couldn't be successful. What was the previous great French PG in the league? Point is, you should focus on actual merit rather than race/nationality, you see people fall for that trap all the time in player comparisons, it does you a disservice when analyzing the actual bball player.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure a lot of franchises followed the same logic when they talked themselves out of Giannis, Jokic or Luka (yes, even he was passed for Ayton and Bagley). Any argument that starts with finding patterns based on where someone was born belongs in the garbage.
    I guess I should've copy/pasted the entire post. #2888 in this topic.
    I legit said after that list that this is just for guards and not forwards/bigs that have been doing great.
    And I also said Luka and Rubio were obvious must pick prospects you can't miss.

Jokic and Giannis were both incredibly raw and weren't guards.

The reality is that while Topic obviously has upside and potential, there's too many red flags and negatives that need fixing.

We need a point guard who can:
    1. Shoot the damn ball. And not in the Tre Jones way of hitting open corner 3s, but being a legit pull up threat in PNR, someone you can't sag off or go under. That's why people want Trae. With a point guard who has deep range, Wemby is unguardable. If you have to hedge/ice/blitz the screen and chase the ballhandler around Wemby, it's over. It's always either two points for Wemby or people wide open in the corners. It's that damn simple.
    2. Pass the damn ball. Tre Jones is a servicable player, won't let you down because you know what you're getting from him. But his passing repertoire is quite limited. You won't see any risky or unexpected passes for him. Textbook backup point guard, nothing wrong with that, but we need someone to unlock more spaces.
    3. Get to the rim and draw some fouls. Other than Keldon and his out of control drives, we have noone who's not scared of attacking the rim and creating contact. As we can see in these playoffs, one of the most important skills a guard can have in today's league.
    4. Be a point of attack defender. Right now we have noone. Jeremy is a wing and it's unfair to expect him to guard elite point guards. We need someone who's capable of chasing people around screens, making ballhandlers uncomfortable and generating fastbreak points.

Obivously we won't find someone with all these skills, but I'd say that number 2 and 3 are a must. Then either great shooting or great defense.
    I wouldn't have anything against getting a let's say Rondo.
    But I most definitely don't want someone like Topic who's good at only one of those four skills. Defense is a write off because he's terrible, getting to the rim and shooting are questionable. Two years away from maybe being two years away.
    Someone also posted the stats from his last game, I also wrote about that.
    To put things into perspective, his team was second last in Euroleague, but something like 22-4 in ABA. With heavy rotation and most important players often sitting. Could easily get 100% winrate if they wanted.
    The gap between those two leagues is about as big as G-league to play-in level teams.

Some will say that defense isn't that important because he has size. Yeah, we can put him on a weak wing who just sits in the corner. But what about opposing guards? We still don't have anyone who's going to be the point of attack defender.
    I don't want a single one of these players who need to change their entire game instead of improving their skillset.

Hezonja was/is a wing and Bogdanovic was a combo guard who has been more of an off guard in the NBA.

Not really a Topic guy (at least for the Spurs), but he debatably (Schroder) has more primary creator potential than all but Doncic.
    Hezonja was definitely projected as a shooting guard when drafted, he was somewhat hyped up as a prospect.
    I listed all the guards, not just point guards.
    Bogdanovic coming over late definitely helped him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we gotta draft topic.....If topic can improve his shot,You can have potentially a great duo for the next several years with wemby
    and topic.He is still young,So can for sure may improve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The opportunity to truly judge Topic will be in 10 days with the start of the ABA final. This final will likely be between Red Star and Partizan, 2 euroleague teams. If Topic can perform there, it will be for sure impressive.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The opportunity to truly judge Topic will be in 10 days with the start of the ABA final. This final will likely be between Red Star and Partizan, 2 euroleague teams. If Topic can perform there, it will be for sure impressive.
    we dont want him to perform to well....or he will be gone in top 3

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we dont want him to perform to well....or he will be gone in top 3
    Spurs are getting the point guard they want unless we drop below Jazz or Rockets.
    Both Wizards and Spurs dropping would be the worst outcome. Wizards most likely also want Sarr or Risacher, but they'd maybe take a point guard if those two are taken before their pick.
    Hornets, Pistons, Blazers, Raptors and Grizzlies definitely won't take a point guard.

On the other hand, I don't think there's a chance Spurs get Risacher if we don't move into top3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    grain of salt, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think Parker wouldn't be a star today?
    If he's the same Tony Parker, then no I don't think so. I think his lack of a 3-ball I think would limit him in today's NBA... but I also think if Tony Parker were 19 years old today he might have developed his game differently and perhaps would have a 3-ball. It's just so hard to compare players of different eras, which is more of my point than in any way trying to knock Parker. I just don't think a comparison to Parker's size is relevant, anymore than it would be comparing someone to Bob Cousy or John Stockton or Craig Ehlo or Scott Skiles or Nash or AI. I just don't see how any of that is relevant to today. Trae Young's size makes him a defensive liability that we all acknowledge, but you only deal with it because of the offensive prowess that he brings. Dilly will have the same defensive liability with maybe a 2% chance of reaching Trae's offensive output.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what yall guys think about nikola djurisic

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he's the same Tony Parker, then no I don't think so. I think his lack of a 3-ball I think would limit him in today's NBA... but I also think if Tony Parker were 19 years old today he might have developed his game differently and perhaps would have a 3-ball. It's just so hard to compare players of different eras, which is more of my point than in any way trying to knock Parker. I just don't think a comparison to Parker's size is relevant, anymore than it would be comparing someone to Bob Cousy or John Stockton or Craig Ehlo or Scott Skiles or Nash or AI. I just don't see how any of that is relevant to today. Trae Young's size makes him a defensive liability that we all acknowledge, but you only deal with it because of the offensive prowess that he brings. Dilly will have the same defensive liability with maybe a 2% chance of reaching Trae's offensive output.
    Morant is at 31% from deep for his career and he's seen as one of the best point guards in the league.
    Am I too much of a homer to think that Tony was on the same level? Forget all those fancy dunks, Tony led the league in FG% at the rim for two years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    grain of salt, etc

Now this is some very interesting, insightful news, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Morant is at 31% from deep for his career and he's seen as one of the best point guards in the league.
    Am I too much of a homer to think that Tony was on the same level? Forget all those fancy dunks, Tony led the league in FG% at the rim for two years.
    Sure, but I don't see Ja and Tony as playing similar styles of game. If you take an exact replica of Tony Parker and put it in today's NBA, I don't think he is nearly as successful. But if Tony were a kid just entering the league, he is good enough of an athlete and basketball player to where his game probably fits better.

But again, I just don't see the point in these types of comparisons. Ja doesn't play like Tony, and neither does Dillingham.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now this is some very interesting, insightful news, IMO.
    fwiw within the tiers it looks like they're just alphabetical

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clingan and Castle in tier 2 is very interesting - not because it's crazy or anything but that it finally helps us shed some light on how teams are viewing the talent in this year's class

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have seen the pick and roll clips of Sheppard and I'm convinced that he'll thrive in a Tony Parker role as head of the snake in the Pick in Roll and Pick and Pop's Spurs scheme.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clingan and Castle in tier 2 is very interesting - not because it's crazy or anything but that it finally helps us shed some light on how teams are viewing the talent in this year's class
    IMO, I don’t think there’s any deep analysis behind how these guys are placed into these tiers. I think they’re in the tier they’re in because of their success in college. For the non-international guys, anyway. They probably even do aggregation across multiple mock drafts. This is the same league that uses the media, like ing Kendrick Perkins, for their votes on who the DPOY should be. That’s how silly the league is.

Thread Information