Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, we can make the play-in. I think coming down the stretch we'll be in contention for a spot. If we're healthy we'll push for it, but if we're a little dinged up we could mini-tank right at the end to try and get a top 10 pick. I'm hoping we're healthy though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean we have reasons to be hopeful. Kawhi and PG are made of glass. AD and Lebron are guaranteed injuries. Houston sucks. Minny sucks. Utah sucks. Portland sucks. Zion ate his way out of NO. Ja is out 25 games. Kyrie is back with Dallas. With a hot start, we could win our division.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Won 22 games with some of the most disgusting tanking I've ever seen.
    Sitting players based on matchups, making sure we lose to other tanking teams etc.

If Spurs actually tried to win last season, would've surely been around 30 wins.
    Even without Wemby, everyone is still improving and I'd expect 30-35 wins.

If Wemby lives up to the hype, play-in isn't out of the question.
    I'd say 10th to12th seed range is realistic.

But it's still all about development.
    Best case scenario would be Wemby living up to the hype and Spurs trading for a disgruntled star before the deadline.

As long as it's an injury-free season, I'll be happy.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on the FA signing and trade, there is no intention to try to make playoff. It is still a rebuilding year and to stock up picks or draft in lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on the FA signing and trade, there is no intention to try to make playoff. It is still a rebuilding year and to stock up picks or draft in lottery.
    They never said they wouldn't try to make the playoffs. It was a ty FA year and there was no one really worth investing in, long term. They want to roll with what they have, and see what happens. This thread is just positing that we might be surprised with what that is.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be awesome for those who are confident the Spurs are definitely going to make the play-in to list the 5 teams that will be worse.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be best for one more bad non playoff year to land a potential franchise all star PG in the draft.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They never said they wouldn't try to make the playoffs. It was a ty FA year and there was no one really worth investing in, long term. They want to roll with what they have, and see what happens. This thread is just positing that we might be surprised with what that is.
    Of course they won't be saying that. They didn't upgrade the roster at all outside of Wemby. The Spurs are expected to load manage Wemby's minutes.

San Antonio's 22 wins were tied with the 2020-21 Oklahoma City Thunder for the most in NBA history by a team outscored by double digits on average. Their 22 wins were even more than how they played. They played more like an 18 win team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be awesome for those who are confident the Spurs are definitely going to make the play-in to list the 5 teams that will be worse.
    Almost every year one or two teams have their season ruined by injuries.
    Rockets and Blazers will definitely be worse.
    Utah will be on a similar level to the Spurs.
    Mavs and NOLA are one more bad season away from a complete meltdown. I'd say that either Zion or Luka will cause massive issues in the upcoming season.

As I said, I don't expect Spurs to make the play-in if Wemby isn't the next bigh thing right away, but there's definitely a chance to get the 10th seed if injuries happen.
    Lakers still rely on ancient Lebron and AD who will inevitably get injured.
    Clippers are even more injury prone and Warriors just got CP3 on top of all of their stars being at the end of their prime.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, we can make the play-in. I think coming down the stretch we'll be in contention for a spot. If we're healthy we'll push for it, but if we're a little dinged up we could mini-tank right at the end to try and get a top 10 pick. I'm hoping we're healthy though.
    I'm hoping for that top 5 draft pick to land that future all star quality PG to pair with Wemby.

People, have a little patience. One more rebuilding year. It's a process to get back on top.
    The Spurs even said they are not expecting a one year turn around and are expected to load manage Wemby's minutes.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almost every year one or two teams have their season ruined by injuries.
    Rockets and Blazers will definitely be worse.
    Utah will be on a similar level to the Spurs.
    Mavs and NOLA are one more bad season away from a complete meltdown. I'd say that either Zion or Luka will cause massive issues in the upcoming season.

As I said, I don't expect Spurs to make the play-in if Wemby isn't the next bigh thing right away, but there's definitely a chance to get the 10th seed if injuries happen.
    Lakers still rely on ancient Lebron and AD who will inevitably get injured.
    Clippers are even more injury prone and Warriors just got CP3 on top of all of their stars being at the end of their prime.
    Houston will be better. They improved their team. Better than the Spurs.

Lakers are better. They were good down the stretch last year.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course they won't be saying that. They didn't upgrade the roster at all outside of Wemby. The Spurs are expected to load manage Wemby's minutes.

San Antonio's 22 wins were tied with the 2020-21 Oklahoma City Thunder for the most in NBA history by a team outscored by double digits on average. Their 22 wins were even more than how they played. They played more like an 18 win team.
    Pretty much the opposite of the previous season, when the Spurs were tied for the worst record in NBA history by a team with a positive overall point differential.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm absolutely sure we'll be at least an 8th seed this year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is saying anything is definite. That's just poor reading comprehension. There's always a range of possibilities.

Houston
    Portland

I would be surprised if they are much good at all.

Minnesota
    New Orleans
    Memphis (-25 games for Ja)
    Dallas

May be mired in mediocrity.

LA Lakers
    LA Clippers
    Golden State

Are all on the verge of collapse with injuries and age being massive concerns.

If the Spurs push into 40 win territory they'll be better than at least five of those teams. Again, I invite you to look at the actual standings last year. There is not a single team that looks ferocious. The only one I think could be spectacular is the Thunder. Meanwhile, teams are going to have a hard time stopping the Spurs from scoring. If they can get to a mediocre defense, they're going to win games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who said anything about definite? There are some posters who were "definitely not", but I didn't see anyone who said anything stronger than "if everything breaks right, we could".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bend over. I'll show you how to make the play-in.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The west is far from great, but it is deep and it appears that the Blazers -- provided they trade Lillard -- will be the only team in the conference actively tanking.

Go down the list:

The Nuggets are obviously defending champs with a core in their prime. They aren't going anywhere.

The Lakers, Clippers, Suns and Warriors are pot committed with aging rosters and championship windows closing. Also, of those four, only the Warriors own their own first round pick in 2024 and that's only if it falls in the top 4. So even injuries won't push any of them into tank mode.

The Grizz, Kings, Mavs, Wolves and Pelicans are mostly young-ish up and coming rosters, but all believe they can compete. All of them have some sort of urgency to win, now, too. The Pels and Grizz are close to being at tipping points with Zion and Ja. The Mavs need to placate Doncic. The Wolves mortgaged their future and need to show something to Edwards. The Kings just made the playoffs for the first time in 100 years and decided to run it back and commit long term to their core. They gotta keep that beam lit.

The Thunder have a really young talented team hoping to take the next step. The Jazz are probably a notch behind the Thunder, but likewise have some talent. Maybe if things head south for them, they start to punt on the season? That leaves the Rockets, who don't own their pick either, so they have zero incentive to tank.

There isn't any question that the Spurs are going to be better than last year, but it may not show up as much in the win column. They are going to have to stay healthy themselves, and then hope for a lot of weird to happen to the other teams to make the play-in. Even if Wemby exceeds year one expectations, this is still an extraordinarily young roster that doesn't know how to win and close out games. Some of those lessons just have to be experienced. This is going to be a season for growing pains, I'm afraid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The west is far from great, but it is deep and it appears that the Blazers -- provided they trade Lillard -- will be the only team in the conference actively tanking.

Go down the list:

The Nuggets are obviously defending champs with a core in their prime. They aren't going anywhere.

The Lakers, Clippers, Suns and Warriors are pot committed with aging rosters and championship windows closing. Also, of those four, only the Warriors own their own first round pick in 2024 and that's only if it falls in the top 4. So even injuries won't push any of them into tank mode.

The Grizz, Kings, Mavs, Wolves and Pelicans are mostly young-ish up and coming rosters, but all believe they can compete. All of them have some sort of urgency to win, now, too. The Pels and Grizz are close to being at tipping points with Zion and Ja. The Mavs need to placate Doncic. The Wolves mortgaged their future and need to show something to Edwards. The Kings just made the playoffs for the first time in 100 years and decided to run it back and commit long term to their core. They gotta keep that beam lit.

The Thunder have a really young talented team hoping to take the next step. The Jazz are probably a notch behind the Thunder, but likewise have some talent. Maybe if things head south for them, they start to punt on the season? That leaves the Rockets, who don't own their pick either, so they have zero incentive to tank.

There isn't any question that the Spurs are going to be better than last year, but it may not show up as much in the win column. They are going to have to stay healthy themselves, and then hope for a lot of weird to happen to the other teams to make the play-in. Even if Wemby exceeds year one expectations, this is still an extraordinarily young roster that doesn't know how to win and close out games. Some of those lessons just have to be experienced. This is going to be a season for growing pains, I'm afraid.
    Yeah, the Power Rankings have us as preseason #15 out of 15 teams. We might legitimately beat the Rockets and Blazers in the standings, but the West won't be a cakewalk by any stretch. That said, some teams will be a bust out of the gate, some will have injuries and embrace the tank, etc. Challenging for the 10th spot isn't super hard these days. Can this squad win 35 games and be in the hunt? Probably.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    zero chance imho

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is saying anything is definite. That's just poor reading comprehension. There's always a range of possibilities.

Houston
    Portland

I would be surprised if they are much good at all.

Minnesota
    New Orleans
    Memphis (-25 games for Ja)
    Dallas

May be mired in mediocrity.

LA Lakers
    LA Clippers
    Golden State

Are all on the verge of collapse with injuries and age being massive concerns.

If the Spurs push into 40 win territory they'll be better than at least five of those teams. Again, I invite you to look at the actual standings last year. There is not a single team that looks ferocious. The only one I think could be spectacular is the Thunder. Meanwhile, teams are going to have a hard time stopping the Spurs from scoring. If they can get to a mediocre defense, they're going to win games.

Poor reading comprehension is reading what I wrote and not understanding that it wasn’t directed to anyone. Assuming there isn’t a single poster/reader who doesn’t believe 100% that the Spurs will make the play-in is quite the gamble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think if all goes to plan we can definitely make the in-season tournament

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the end of the day, it will mostly depend on how dominant Victor will be.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston will be better. They improved their team. Better than the Spurs.

Lakers are better. They were good down the stretch last year.
    Improved their team with what? Inefficent chuckers on top of their young core also being full of chuckers?
    It will take Udoka another season to make them look like a team.

I didn't say the Lakers weren't better, I just said their two stars are injury prone. Remember the last three seasons? If one of them goes down, they're in the play-in struggle.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it all depends on what Pop want to do and if he wants to half-tank/take it slow/hope they get one more lottery pick, then play-in is less likely. But we'll see. He has to keep Wemby happy so it remains to be seen in my opinion.

Thread Information