Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wilt Chamberlain blocked Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 17 times in the 1972 WCF on his way to a championship (msn.com)

including 5 times during a 12-minute span in Game 3, where he held Kareem scoreless. There is even video footage on the internet showing The Big Dipper blocking Jabbar’s skyhook twice on the same possession.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.sportscasting.com/43-yea...n-pickup-game/

Magic was famous for never losing in those ucla summer pickup games because he would call the game in his favour every time. Can’t blame him as it’s just how lakers were called by the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another chapter to Wilts legacy and to Magics Laker gotry.

Philly should have taken Wilt up on his willingness to play. Wilt was hitting the volleyball on the regular and was in excellent shape.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.sportscasting.com/43-yea...n-pickup-game/

Magic was famous for never losing in those ucla summer pickup games because he would call the game in his favour every time. Can’t blame him as it’s just how lakers were called by the league.
    Story doesn't really add up. Says it was when Wilt was 43 so that would be some time in 79-80 and supposedly AC Green was playing but he would have been 15-16 at the time and he wasn't from the LA area.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Story doesn't really add up. Says it was when Wilt was 43 so that would be some time in 79-80 and supposedly AC Green was playing but he would have been 15-16 at the time and he wasn't from the LA area.
    Is th at magics rookie season? Age couldn’t been wrong but story is believable. Magic was known to call the games in his own favour so he doesn’t lose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is th at magics rookie season? Age couldn’t been wrong but story is believable. Magic was known to call the games in his own favour so he doesn’t lose.
    Latest it could have been is 80-81 since that was Brown's last season as coach at UCLA, but that would make Wilt 44 or 45. Byron Scott playing at UCLA would make sense since he lived in Inglewood and that's about the time he was a major player at ASU but AC Green doesn't make sense at all and I kind of wonder if this is a story grossly embellished by old man with bad memory yelling at cloud. I don't buy for a second that Magic Johnson, Byron Scott, Bernard King, James Worthy, and AC Green couldn't have gotten a single shot off against Wilt. Speaking of Worthy, he didn't come to LA until 82-83 and lived in North Carolina in this 79-81 time frame so I doubt he was in this pickup game either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wilt was 43 in year 1982.

Wilt Chamberlain Dead At 63 - CBS News in Oct 1999

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1999 - 1982 = 17

63 - 17 = 46

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wilt got stuck with West, who'd been permanently spiritually wrecked by the Celtics.

Jabbar was fortunate and had Magic to reconstruct his tortured soul, get him///set him upright while at the same time adjudicate his own demons after the '84 Playoffs-&-Finals debacles delivering his own salvation and that of Jabbar as well in '85, confirmation in '87...Dutch Uncling it---'10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1999 - 1982 = 17

63 - 17 = 46
    Is it possible old dude simply got Wilts age at the time of the game wrong?
    And / or did Larry Brown ever spend a week or two in LA in the off season after coaching UCLA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Latest it could have been is 80-81 since that was Brown's last season as coach at UCLA, but that would make Wilt 44 or 45. Byron Scott playing at UCLA would make sense since he lived in Inglewood and that's about the time he was a major player at ASU but AC Green doesn't make sense at all and I kind of wonder if this is a story grossly embellished by old man with bad memory yelling at cloud. I don't buy for a second that Magic Johnson, Byron Scott, Bernard King, James Worthy, and AC Green couldn't have gotten a single shot off against Wilt. Speaking of Worthy, he didn't come to LA until 82-83 and lived in North Carolina in this 79-81 time frame so I doubt he was in this pickup game either.
    Embellishment is likely one of the reasons. But wilt blocking a lot of shots against nba level players in his 40s is believable.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I watched the Walton/Blazers do entary and Bill had his moment vs Lakers

So OP is believable

Kareem is still my #2 all time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So OP is believable

Walton dominating Kareem when Magic was at Michigan State made a story about Wilt dominating Magic believable?

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    1999 - 1982 = 17

63 - 17 = 46
    Thus endeth the basic math lesson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it possible old dude simply got Wilts age at the time of the game wrong?
    And / or did Larry Brown ever spend a week or two in LA in the off season after coaching UCLA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hakeem s on them tbh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    What doesn't end, Lue, is your being a squealer, a rat, a stoolie. Ya rat, ya.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Hakeem s on them tbh
    But there was no calm, dignified descent from the apex like with Jabbar. Hakeem just crashed and burned.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

So OP is believable

There was bad, rancid blood twixt Walton and the Lakers Org., that was kept tamped down (away from MSM) to-this-day. It just worked better that way for all concerned. What should have been a match made in Southern California heaven was in reality a living nightmare that finally came to a natural American/pure U.S.A. head during the '80's when Walton traversed the American coast(s), a scoreboard was NBA mandated, plugged in and score kept for the annals, living proof so there could be no mistakes made in the disposition of the principles involved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let this sink in: Chamberlain averaged 40 points per game during a record stretch of 515 straight games.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Walton dominating Kareem when Magic was at Michigan State made a story about Wilt dominating Magic believable?
    Bill was fixated on Kareem.

Wilt
    Karl
    Mello
    Harden
    Iverson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let this sink in: Chamberlain averaged 40 points per game during a record stretch of 515 straight games.
    His rebounding numbers are just as disgusting. He was far and away the best defender as well. He also got the exact opposite treatment as Shaq did on offense. If he used power dribbles or used a lot of his butt in his drop step he get whistled. There was no question of "how do you call a man of that size."

OTOH, you could hack and push the out of him and they wouldn't call . That is why you ended up with his weird looking game of finger rolls and turnarounds. He still put 50/30 a night.

When Wilt played Jabbar in his 30s, Kareem could use his quickness to get to spots but that was about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wilt Chamberlain is said to have had a 48-inch vertical jump—the same as Michael Jordan. Chamberlain could bench press 550 pounds, 85 pounds more than the max of Shaquille O'Neal. Wilt high jumped 6 feet, 6 inches, ran the 440 yards in 49.0 seconds and the 880 yards in 1:58.3, put the shot 53 feet, 4 inches, and long jumped 22 feet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always wonder why Wilt's career average is 'only' 30. He averaged 50 one year, 44 in another. How is his career average 'only' 30? Maybe his final few Laker years really hurt the average a lot. Would like to know his PPG before he started with the Lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe his final few Laker years really hurt the average a lot. Would like to know his PPG before he started with the Lakers.
    Wilt identified as a Flamer beginning in 68-69.
    Year ending / ppg
    69 20
    70 27
    71 20
    72 14
    73 13

Dk why it jumped back up to 27 in 1970.
    FWIW Wilts sole Championship as a Flamer came in a 14 ppg year, 1972.

Thread Information