2 66.67%
  • Bad idea for Dems

1 33.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just throwing this out here, 4+ years too early so I can look brilliant down the road when it happens, tbh...

Makes too much sense IMO. Both will have fulfilled two complete terms as Governor and be term limited in 2026. Both were elected by double digits in all five of their combined elections, counting the 2021 recall in CA. Newsom as the POTUS candidate represents California, the nation's leader in population and innovation as well as the highest GDP, even if the right will attack California on its shortcomings. Whitmer as VP candidate provides a huge boost both among the critical suburban woman vote as well as the rust belt, giving Democrats a huge edge in pure-purple Michigan as well as potentially the surrounding critical purple states.

I believe it would usher in a new generation for the Democrats, permanently move the party past the era of Biden/Harris/Clintons et al. with fresh, charismatic, competent faces; and it would be a very difficult ticket for DeSantis or anyone else to defeat, IMO, especially if Trump wins in 2024.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Trump wins in 2024 he'll try to award himself another term in 2028. There may not even be an election.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    If Trump wins in 2024 he'll try to award himself another term in 2028. There may not even be an election.
    Well, not that you obey it worth a , but what does the Cons ution say, Winester?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Newsom is one of the worst possible candidates Dems could nominate and Whitmer would (understandably) never want to be his running mate.

Hes better than Kamala and Pete Buttplug but not much else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Newsom is one of the worst possible candidates Dems could nominate and Whitmer would (understandably) never want to be his running mate.

who would be a good candidate for the Dems, in your opinion?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Whitmer deserves to be at the top of the ticket; she’s done more with extremely slim legislative majorities than Newsom has done with super majorities that’ll pass whatever he wants.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    who would be a good candidate for the Dems, in your opinion?
    Whitmer
    Walz
    Shapiro

We have a slew of great names to choose from way better than Newsom.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

If it all lines up as planned, they'll go to Clinton and she'll take the 2nd 4 years of the Harris Presidency. Harris will get the remainder of Biden's 2nd 4 years. But of course they've got to get Biden to 1.20.2025 with his right hand up.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    If it all lines up as planned, they'll go to Clinton and she'll take the 2nd 4 years of the Harris Presidency. Harris will get the remainder of Biden's 2nd 4 years. But of course they've got to get Biden to 1.20.2025 with his right hand up.
    Hillary will never be president, that’s a stupid conspiracy theory.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Hillary will never be president, that’s a stupid conspiracy theory.
    Perhaps, but I'm gonna hold it nonetheless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i do think newsom is like the anti-desantis in that he's hard not to like when he has sit down interviews and whatnot. think he'd be a monster on debate stages

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i do think newsom is like the anti-desantis in that he's hard not to like when he has sit down interviews and whatnot. think he'd be a monster on debate stages
    do debates really move the needle?

not rhetorical.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    He’s accomplished absolutely nothing as California governor. Hasn’t even pretended to address the housing crisis, hasn’t built any reservoirs to solve the water crisis, hasn’t done anything to advance major public transportation projects, doesn’t care that his state is bleeding population, hasnt done anything to reform permitting in CA to make solar projects easier to build, etc.

All he’s done as governor is raise money for his stupid national vanity projects about repealing the 2nd amendment and running worthless ads in Florida during midterm season about how DeSanctus is a big mean bully while Dem turnout in California crashed and played a big role in giving the GOP the house.

He hasn’t done anything to earn the nomination.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    He’s accomplished absolutely nothing as California governor. Hasn’t even pretended to address the housing crisis, hasn’t built any reservoirs to solve the water crisis, hasn’t done anything to advance major public transportation projects, doesn’t care that his state is bleeding population, hasnt done anything to reform permitting in CA to make solar projects easier to build, etc.

All he’s done as governor is raise money for his stupid national vanity projects about repealing the 2nd amendment and running worthless ads in Florida during midterm season about how DeSanctus is a big mean bully while Dem turnout in California crashed and played a big role in giving the GOP the house.

Hunting; pickin' 'em up---layin' 'em down.

Hunting

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    My choice right now would probably be Walz FTR.

Normal inoffensive white guy (which sadly makes him a tough sell with the base unless Massa Clyburn endorsed him), has a working class background, represented a district loaded with key Midwestern white voters, and obv most importantly has rammed a pretty liberal tax and spend agenda through the MN state leg despite razor thin majorities, all while the Minneapolis-St. Paul MSA is at 2% inflation.

I’d be thrilled with Whitmer or Shapiro too, but I think Walz has almost no polarizing blemishes for the GOP to focus on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My choice right now would probably be Walz FTR.

Normal inoffensive white guy (which sadly makes him a tough sell with the base unless Massa Clyburn endorsed him), has a working class background, represented a district loaded with key Midwestern white voters, and obv most importantly has rammed a pretty liberal tax and spend agenda through the MN state leg despite razor thin majorities, all while the Minneapolis-St. Paul MSA is at 2% inflation.

I’d be thrilled with Whitmer or Shapiro too, but I think Walz has almost no polarizing blemishes for the GOP to focus on.
    Interesting.

I do think it would behoove the Dems to get away from iden y politics sooner than later, though. I don't think being white or black or brown or male or female should be a consideration, especially if you brand yourself as the party of equal opportunity.

Walz is another two term governor candidate who will be out after 2026 like Whitmer, while Shapiro has eligibility as PA governor until 2030 and doubtful that he'll lose re-election, so there's that.

I just think that Newsom has branded himself as a huge name in politics to the point where him getting the superdelegates and democrat popular vote in the primary would be almost inevitable.

Post a list of Whitmer accomplishments, whether it's 2023 with the narrow Democrat trifecta or 2019-2022 with narrow congressional minorities

I've been to Michigan 4 times this year and read Michigan news all the time and the only thing I've seen so far really is a bill that passed requiring drivers to not text and drive or get fined.

But hey, knowing Michiganders, if the Lions get really far this year or next or god forbid win the Super Bowl, Whitmer will be immortalized as the Governor who got the Lions to the Super Bowl

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

I do think it would behoove the Dems to get away from iden y politics sooner than later, though. I don't think being white or black or brown or male or female should be a consideration, especially if you brand yourself as the party of equal opportunity.

Walz is another two term governor candidate who will be out after 2026 like Whitmer, while Shapiro has eligibility as PA governor until 2030 and doubtful that he'll lose re-election, so there's that.

I just think that Newsom has branded himself as a huge name in politics to the point where him getting the superdelegates and democrat popular vote in the primary would be almost inevitable.

Post a list of Whitmer accomplishments, whether it's 2023 with the narrow Democrat trifecta or 2019-2022 with narrow congressional minorities

I've been to Michigan 4 times this year and read Michigan news all the time and the only thing I've seen so far really is a bill that passed requiring drivers to not text and drive or get fined.

But hey, knowing Michiganders, if the Lions get really far this year or next or god forbid win the Super Bowl, Whitmer will be immortalized as the Governor who got the Lions to the Super Bowl

Ange

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol know nothing Andy trying to spin a whole world out of his ass

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Interesting.

Whitmer accomplishments:
    - repealed right to work laws (this is the first time in 58 years RTW laws have been repealed)
    - universal school lunches
    - ended surprise medical billing in Michigan
    - passed legislation that lowered prescription costs by expanding access to generic drugs
    - expanded postpartum Medicaid coverage for low income moms
    - invested over $2 billion in water treatment and infrastructure
    - invested $3.5 billion in road infrastructure
    - eliminated Michigan’s retirement tax
    - created property tax incentives to help small businesses
    - paid down $14 billion of state debt
    - quintupled the state’s earned income tax credit
    - Michigan’s credit rating has been upgraded since she took office

That’s a 180 degree turn away from what Michigan has looked like under decades of Republican state legislature control.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will wrecks MM's bull again...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting.

Stick to your travel guide commentary mm as you confuse wish casting with knowledge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Also Whitmer definitely has a national profile when it comes to the Dem base. She doesn’t herself around on national TV the way Newsom does, but she’s a national figure who MSNBC and other cable news viewers know about after the COVID stuff, the 2020 elections and the kidnapping plot.

Josh Shapiro doesn’t have the national profile yet but give him time. Unfortunately for him the Dems winning the PA state senate is unlikely so he’s not going to get the opportunities to accomplish much as governor, no different than how Youngkin’s ability to win a GOP primary in 2028 probably hinges on if he gets control of the VA state legislature in a month and has a blank slate to pass conservative policies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whitmer accomplishments:
    - repealed right to work laws (this is the first time in 58 years RTW laws have been repealed)
    - universal school lunches
    - ended surprise medical billing in Michigan
    - passed legislation that lowered prescription costs by expanding access to generic drugs
    - expanded postpartum Medicaid coverage for low income moms
    - invested over $2 billion in water treatment and infrastructure
    - invested $3.5 billion in road infrastructure
    - eliminated Michigan’s retirement tax

- created property tax incentives to help small businesses
    - paid down $14 billion of state debt

- quintupled the state’s earned income tax credit
    - Michigan’s credit rating has been upgraded since she took office

That’s a 180 degree turn away from what Michigan has looked like under decades of Republican state legislature control.
    These are all good things.

The right to work issue is kind of 50/50 imo, I mean why should employees be forced to pay a chunk of their salaries to join unions? If anything the employer should pay for it.

For the surprise medical bill thing, that's good for me, hopefully that means I won't have to pay back that $481.00 the DeVos-owned Spectrum Healthcare is still trying to bill me for when I hit that deer in Nov. 2021 and got x-rays and stuff up in Grand Haven, MI the next day.

The retirement tax abolishment is huge, similar to what Kim Reynolds has done in Iowa... but when does it take effect? My mom wants to retire somewhere colder than Texas and we both think MI is absolutely beautiful, weather wise (we are oddballs who love cool and cloudy weather), landscape wise, all the forests etc. But she was worried about the retirement tax and property tax. Also worried about the (D) trifecta and what that means for freedom, the 2nd Amendment (which, frankly, Whitmer hasn't touched, but that's a third rail issue in the hunter's paradise that is MI), vax and mask mandates. We're atheist and more libertarian-populist than anything else. Basically corporations shouldn't get carte blanche to rob the people, especially in the medical industry, moderate to low taxes, and lower gas prices. We're absolutely behind Trump for 2024, but open to voting different ways longer term depending on how the next generation of candidates stand on various issues. We definitely don't support evangelicals, nor the old-guard, free-trade, pro-China GOP.

Yeah Snyder was a . RINO for sure, big-time TDS, was kind of the Mitt Romney of Michigan. Really embodied the worst of both GOP and Democrat/populist worlds. Don't know why he was ever re-elected in 2014 in the first place, especially after the Flint water crisis. Wasn't all his fault, but still, Snyder was about as generic and corrupt as it got. Unsurprisingly there will almost certainly be a >10% Whitmer-Trump voter bloc next year... Tudor Dixon as an establishment conservative with a pretty face is great for Fox News, not so much for governor. She managed to alienate both bases. The MAGA base saw her as a DeVos-funded corporate uniparty shill (who also potentially cheated James Craig and/or others out of the nomination), while the moderates saw her (rightfully) as extremist on abortion.

I also read that Whitmer and the MI Dems actually reduced the state income tax from 4.25% to 4.05%, which is uncharacteristic historically of Democrats. Walz on the other hand will have to eat that sandwich that is the roughly 10% state income tax in MN that will certainly be used against him in the primaries. Also, I've heard that governor Jared Polis is planning on reducing or even eliminating the state income tax in Colorado as it's not needed anymore due to all the massive marijuana dispensary revenue.

I guess the dispensaries in Michigan may be paying for all this. It's incredible to think that the Dems are the ones slashing taxes across the board while keeping a reasonable cost of living, fair priced housing throughout the state, keeping good healthcare standards, AND balancing the budget / running budget surpluses. Not just the weed, but also the tourism and natural beauty of the state has a lot to do with the tourist tax revenue, I'd suppose. Michigan I'd argue is one of the 3 most naturally beautiful states as well as Colorado. Also, being pro choice is a good thing, because less unwanted teen pregnancy type welfare babies ending up on welfare and food stamps long term, which drags down the economy.

All of this is a big time sore spot for Gavin Newsom, who sort of embodies what moderates and conservatives stigmatize about California: sky high taxes across the board, homeless amok, extremely high cost of living, bad infrastructure, terrible power grid despite pleasant weather, cultural cesspool infested with illegal alien criminals, lack of water and natural resources.

As for the subject of infrastructure: I will say, with my personal experiences of driving all throughout Michigan (I-94, I-196, I-96, M-6, the M-roads in general, up north, the UP, even the Detroit area) throughout the Whitmer administration years, they have some of the best roads/freeways in the USA with fair speed limits and good traffic laws, so I don't get why so many people from there complain about the roads. The biggest problem about the roads in Michigan is all the goddamn deer which dart across at any opportunity.

So far the MI Dem trifecta have been more moderate/normie than hackish. If they implement school choice like OH/IN/WI/FL/AZ, which isn't exactly a mainstream Democrat platform but it's a majority opinion, I'd root for them to win re-election (state level only).

I do wish MI Dems and Democrats in general would get on board with the school choice thing. It's a majority opinion in the USA, Michigan, and other purple and redder states. Plus, all of MI's surrounding states including blue Wisconsin have school choice, so I don't know why MI wouldn't.

Whitmer's biggest sore spot (but it's hardly just limited to her, it's pretty much every Democrat governor and some GOP governors as well) is how she and other governors acted like a tyrant in 2020 through early 2021 during Covid, but that's not a top 10 issue anymore.

I'm not a huge Whitmer fan over the Covid thing, but I'd probably vote for her over say a Nimrata Haley, Tim Scott, or Mike Pence type. Desantis, who knows.

Also Whitmer definitely has a national profile when it comes to the Dem base. She doesn’t herself around on national TV the way Newsom does, but she’s a national figure who MSNBC and other cable news viewers know about after the COVID stuff, the 2020 elections and the kidnapping plot.

Josh Shapiro doesn’t have the national profile yet but give him time. Unfortunately for him the Dems winning the PA state senate is unlikely so he’s not going to get the opportunities to accomplish much as governor, no different than how Youngkin’s ability to win a GOP primary in 2028 probably hinges on if he gets control of the VA state legislature in a month and has a blank slate to pass conservative policies.
    Oddly enough the Dems are losing pretty big actually in the early vote in the VA 2023 midterms which is a worrisome trend, but it's still too early, perhaps NoVa hasn't been accounted for.
    Last edited by Millennial_Messiah; 09-29-2023 at 12:02 AM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    These are all good things.

The right to work issue is kind of 50/50 imo, I mean why should employees be forced to pay a chunk of their salaries to join unions? If anything the employer should pay for it.

For the surprise medical bill thing, that's good for me, hopefully that means I won't have to pay back that $481.00 the DeVos-owned Spectrum Healthcare is still trying to bill me for when I hit that deer in Nov. 2021 and got x-rays and stuff up in Grand Haven, MI the next day.

The retirement tax abolishment is huge, similar to what Kim Reynolds has done in Iowa... but when does it take effect? My mom wants to retire somewhere colder than Texas and we both think MI is absolutely beautiful, weather wise (we are oddballs who love cool and cloudy weather), landscape wise, all the forests etc. But she was worried about the retirement tax and property tax. Also worried about the (D) trifecta and what that means for freedom, the 2nd Amendment (which, frankly, Whitmer hasn't touched, but that's a third rail issue in the hunter's paradise that is MI), vax and mask mandates. We're atheist and more libertarian-populist than anything else. Basically corporations shouldn't get carte blanche to rob the people, especially in the medical industry, moderate to low taxes, and lower gas prices.

Yeah Snyder was a . RINO for sure, big-time TDS, was kind of the Mitt Romney of Michigan. Really embodied the worst of both GOP and Democrat/populist worlds. Don't know why he was ever re-elected in 2014 in the first place, especially after the Flint water crisis. Wasn't all his fault, but still, Snyder was about as generic and corrupt as it got. Unsurprisingly there will almost certainly be a >10% Whitmer-Trump voter bloc next year... Tudor Dixon as an establishment conservative with a pretty face is great for Fox News, not so much for governor. She managed to alienate both bases. The MAGA base saw her as a DeVos-funded corporate uniparty shill (who also potentially cheated James Craig and/or others out of the nomination), while the moderates saw her (rightfully) as extremist on abortion.

I also read that Whitmer and the MI Dems actually reduced the state income tax from 4.25% to 4.05%, which is uncharacteristic historically of Democrats. Walz on the other hand will have to eat that sandwich that is the roughly 10% state income tax in MN that will certainly be used against him in the primaries. Also, I've heard that governor Jared Polis is planning on reducing or even eliminating the state income tax in Colorado as it's not needed anymore due to all the massive marijuana dispensary revenue.

I guess the dispensaries in Michigan may be paying for all this. It's incredible to think that the Dems are the ones slashing taxes across the board while keeping a reasonable cost of living, fair priced housing throughout the state, keeping good healthcare standards, AND balancing the budget / running budget surpluses. Not just the weed, but also the tourism and natural beauty of the state has a lot to do with the tourist tax revenue, I'd suppose. Michigan I'd argue is one of the 3 most naturally beautiful states as well as Colorado. Also, being pro choice is a good thing, because less unwanted teen pregnancy type welfare babies ending up on welfare and food stamps long term, which drags down the economy.

All of this is a big time sore spot for Gavin Newsom, who sort of embodies what moderates and conservatives stigmatize about California: sky high taxes across the board, homeless amok, extremely high cost of living, bad infrastructure, terrible power grid despite pleasant weather, cultural cesspool infested with illegal alien criminals, lack of water and natural resources.

As for the subject of infrastructure: I will say, with my personal experiences of driving all throughout Michigan (I-94, I-196, I-96, M-6, the M-roads in general, up north, the UP, even the Detroit area) throughout the Whitmer administration years, they have some of the best roads/freeways in the USA with fair speed limits and good traffic laws, so I don't get why so many people from there complain about the roads. The biggest problem about the roads in Michigan is all the goddamn deer which dart across at any opportunity.

So far the MI Dem trifecta have been more moderate/normie than hackish. If they implement school choice like OH/IN/WI/FL/AZ, which isn't exactly a mainstream Democrat platform but it's a majority opinion, I'd root for them to win re-election (state level only).

I do wish MI Dems and Democrats in general would get on board with the school choice thing. It's a majority opinion in the USA, Michigan, and other purple and redder states. Plus, all of MI's surrounding states including blue Wisconsin have school choice, so I don't know why MI wouldn't.

Whitmer's biggest sore spot (but it's hardly just limited to her, it's pretty much every Democrat governor and some GOP governors as well) is how she and other governors acted like a tyrant in 2020 through early 2021 during Covid, but that's not a top 10 issue anymore.

I'm not a huge Whitmer fan over the Covid thing, but I'd probably vote for her over say a Nimrata Haley, Tim Scott, or Mike Pence type. Desantis, who knows.
    I have a question, since you talk about abortion.

Is it better to abort your baby or abandon it?

Thread Information