Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the current economical NBA landscape, it's a quite reasonable contract. There are injuries concern with Collins but it's mitigated with this being only a two years extension. Collins, with his outside shoot and a quite good mobility, is theoretically a really nice fit to play alongside Wembanyama.

With the Vassell and Collins extensions, it seems Spurs are taking the safe road to rebuild. They likely won't have enough cap space to go after the biggest free agents next summer. A gamble move could have been not to extend Collins and try to go after Nic Claxton next summer. Risk would have been very high, with Claxton likely signing with another team, and reward would have been maybe not so great, with potential offensive spacing issues.
    Nic Claxton <<<<<<<<<<<<<< Collins

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good player - he's playing with confidence again. Having him on board the next three years sounds great to me.

Pop, RC, and the partnership/governor group wants to start winning SOON! And get a new arena.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good player - he's playing with confidence again. Having him on board the next three years sounds great to me.

Pop, RC, and the partnership/governor group wants to start winning SOON! And get a new arena.
    They might. Wemby is proving everyone that he belongs NOW and not that skinny 19 years old. Of course he’s far from a finished product and still tons to improve, but seemingly he can handle himself in the NBA. Locking a “veteran” (of course it’s his 3rd year of being healthy) Collins would suggest they will start competing and not tank for a high draft pick imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs Ski Bully Legend

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs Ski Bully Legend

Exactly. I think that's Ram second from the right, the guy from Heathers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nic Claxton <<<<<<<<<<<<<< Collins
    Claxton is a better rebounder and fiercer shotblocker, but I wouldn't replace Collins with him. Zach is absolutely perfect for what the team wants to do, his shooting, high post hub abilities, his ability to punish mismatches down low, and especially his passing. I do think he could be a better rebounder but he's hardly the problem there among the starters.

Long-term is an intesting topic. He'll be 28-29 at the end of this contract, right in his prime. I don't think they'll be looking to replace him, but they could draft a center if they find a good prospect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Claxton is a better rebounder and fiercer shotblocker, but I wouldn't replace Collins with him. Zach is absolutely perfect for what the team wants to do, his shooting, high post hub abilities, his ability to punish mismatches down low, and especially his passing. I do think he could be a better rebounder but he's hardly the problem there among the starters.

Long-term is an intesting topic. He'll be 28-29 at the end of this contract, right in his prime. I don't think they'll be looking to replace him, but they could draft a center if they find a good prospect.
    I like Bassey a lot, high bball IQ. He can pass, rebound, has range. And Bediako if he ever pans out, could be an elite post defender.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By my count this gives the spurs 12M in cap space assuming they dump Doug, Graham, and maybe Champ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Bassey a lot, high bball IQ. He can pass, rebound, has range. And Bediako if he ever pans out, could be an elite post defender.
    I think we won't see Bediako for very long. I do think Bassey could really turn out. We'll see him start taking more outside shots and has the vision to be next in the Poeltl-Collins pipeline of high post facilitation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cheaper and better than Poeltl. Good job
    he fits better besides Wemby because of the 3 pt shot ... but overall Poeltl is still the better player ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we won't see Bediako for very long. I do think Bassey could really turn out. We'll see him start taking more outside shots and has the vision to be next in the Poeltl-Collins pipeline of high post facilitation.
    Bediako, Barlow are 21 and 20 and will have the motivation to play with Wemby’s team (and that includes Wesley). I think they will be higly motivated to improve in Austin. Very bright future for this very young team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    State Of The Spurs (spurstalk.com)

Collins: Will undoubtedly have third year fully guaranteed (stealth extension candidate?). Fringe starter, with rare malleability, versatility.
    Summer League Game Thread - WEMBY'S DEBUT - Spurs/Hornets 7/7/23 @ 8PM CDT on ESPN - Page 35 (spurstalk.com)

Collins is far more likely to be extended than traded.
    Fischer: "There's A Growing Belief Among League Personnel That San Antonio Will Target Starting C's - Page 8 (spurstalk.com)

Given what Reid (3/$42M) and Stewart (4/$64M) received, if Collins can build off of last season by proving he can withstand starter's minutes for a full season, he's in line for a contract in that range.

Considering his injury history, the reality that he wouldn't start and at least sometimes close on most teams and the promising future this team now appears to possess, I don't see his representation playing hardball.
    Fischer: "There's A Growing Belief Among League Personnel That San Antonio Will Target Starting C's - Page 8 (spurstalk.com)

His theoretical fit next to Wembanyama (versatility that should allow them to be interchangeable offensively) is too rare to discard for the middling asset(s) he's worth.
    2023 NBA Free Agency Thread - June 30 @ 5 pm CDT - Page 69 (spurstalk.com)

Said it before but it bears repeating for those obsessed with adding a rotational C: The Heat made two Finals and three Conference Finals in four seasons with a bunch of undrafted players playing relatively important roles throughout.

If they could do that, then surely the re-building Spurs can provide opportunity for similar types to do the same.
    Good. With Plumlee officially off the board, that takes care of the final free agent rim running C, who'd have been guaranteed a rotation spot, to further clog up the offense and limit some of the younger bigs.

I wouldn't. Hopefully they don't target a starting C (would limit rotational flexibility), especially one with poor feel, who can't protect the rim, defend in space or space the floor.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was hugely wrong on his first contract, so good for Collins

Re: Claxton, though he may be a better defender than Collins, he can't space the floor which is why they have trouble playing him with Simmons. On top of that, his best role on offense is as rim running lob guy but the Spurs aren't good at those plays anyway

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think a mobile Center who can stretch the floor is more valuable in today's NBA than a bruiser big. I can understand that people would like to have a more traditional big man next to Wemby who does the dirty work, but we have Bassey for that. Collins only weakness is that he gets overpowered by bigger NBA centers like Embiid, but with the post up basically being an inefficient play nowadays, defending the 3 and being able to switch is more valuable.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanna say nice signing, but since it worked out well last time I'll have to stick with WTF BrAin wR0nG? as my reaction.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its a great deal for both the spurs and Zollins as it provides a bit of stability going forward - so long as he stays fairly healthy. He must have had faith in the spurs medical personnel. Much rather have a healthy Zollins at center than Poeltl to be honest. At least he can hit his free throws and has a bit of a mean streak, something this team needs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Proud moment for Zach, I remember ST losing their minds when we signed him initially lol glad he’s been able to stay healthy and contribute like he has.
    Agreed. I think people "lost their minds" because we've seen many reclamation projects that haven't panned out.

This is one of the cases where it worked out for both parties. Spurs got him healthy and now he is a solid piece on an up-and-coming team, and he got his friendly contract and some security going forward with a chance to bank a big deal in a couple years if he plays well.

For a guy who looked like he was on his way to dipping out of the league, it's a great success story.
    Last edited by Dex; 10-22-2023 at 07:33 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice. I thought this is not possible to get it to that number. FO doing work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. I think people "lost their minds" because we've seen many reclamation projects that haven't panned out.

This is one of the cases where it worked out for both parties. Spurs got him healthy and now he is a solid piece on an up-and-coming team, and he got his friendly contract and some security going forward with a chance to bank a big deal in a couple years if he plays well.

For a guy who looked like he was on his way to dipping out of the league, it's a great success story.
    Well said and great to see! Go Zach!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's pretty incredible of what he did not many professional athletes can come back from all the surgeries he had in a short span of his career - 2 fractured ankles, 1 fractured foot, 1 major shoulder injury, 1 Fibula Fracture. To go through all those surgeries and rehab and get back to starting in the NBA is pretty damn amazing. The guy is just a fighter you can't overcome that unless you have that warrior spirt. I am happy for him and wish him much success and hope he can stay longer then two years with the Spurs family

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good! Health issues aside, Zollins is the perfect big for the Spurs next to Wemby. Can score both from the 3, and the post, is mobile enough do defend modern bigs while not being a turnstile on D against bigger centers. Has some playmaking, has that dawg in him but most importantly you know he’s gonna have Wemby’s back like he did Sochan’s last year.

Thread Information