Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, that's strength. Strong kid who plays bully-ball against weaker PG's. Really good passer with plus 3-point shooting ability already too, and competes hard on the defensive end. Spurs would have to be really bad to have a chance at him though. Don't see us being bad enough tbh.
    I think he will go top 5 if he just slightly improves from last year but I really like that he can get to the rim and finish through contact. His body is all ready NBA ready so he would definitley be starting and getting a lot of minutes who ever draft him his first year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone explain me the excitement of having a pick that would at best bring us a kid that needs years of development?

There are no generational or (almost) NBA ready players expected...

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone explain me the excitement of having a pick that would at best bring us a kid that needs years of development?

The Spurs need to add all star level talent to the current roster. Top draft picks usually turn into the stars of the league.

Where else will the spurs get an all star level player if not in the draft and the higher the pick the higher the chance to upgrade the roster.

The Spurs build their teams from the draft not from trades for all stars or sign them out of free agency for big money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We got our "Generational" talent his name is Wemby, so we don't really need another "Generational" talent we just need a VERY good all around basketball player. If you look at Haliburton he was drafted with the 12th pick and I would love to have him on our team. As far as this years draft it doesn't have any Unicorns but it has talent and players that would fit very well with Wemby a kid who would probably start day one would be Isaiah Collier. I think also that people are not really looking at the International talent that will probably be coming out for this draft lots of talent - We just need to get lucky again with our pick and hope Raptors lands us a top 10 as icing on the cake

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was hoping we use all those picks to trade for allsar level player(s)

With the "one and done" generation, most of them are really immature and not fully developped

And again there are nobody special in the next draft and if there's one we won't have him unless super lucky AGAIN

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs also built via trade and great scouting of mature and already experienced players

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

With the "one and done" generation, most of them are really immature and not fully developped

And again there are nobody special in the next draft and if there's one we won't have him unless super lucky AGAIN
    When your "Hot" roll the dice again...lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I suspect it will be a combination. Plus teams are always looking for “young up and coming talent” in these trades, so it would be good to 1) have pieces to develop to flip in such a future trade, or 2) replenish players currently being developed that may have to be moved for a bigger piece sooner (Malaki, Keldon, Sochan etc).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need to add all star level talent to the current roster. Top draft picks usually turn into the stars of the league.

Where else will the spurs get an all star level player if not in the draft and the higher the pick the higher the chance to upgrade the roster.

The Spurs build their teams from the draft not from trades for all stars or sign them out of free agency for big money.
    2001 Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Jason Richardson
    2002 Jay Williams, Mike Dunleavy, Drew Gooden, Nikoloz Tskitishvili
    2003 Darko Miličić
    2004 Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon, Shaun Livingston, Devin Harris
    2005 Andrew Bogut, Marvin Williams, Raymond Felton
    2006 Andrea Bargnani, Adam Morrison, Tyrus Thomas, Shelden Williams
    2007 Greg Oden, Mike Conley, Jeff Green
    2008 Michael Beasley, O.J. Mayo
    2009 Hasheem Thabeet, Tyreke Evans, Ricky Rubio
    2010 Evan Turner, Derrick Favors. Wesley Johnson
    2011 Derrick Williams, Enes Freedom, Tristan Thompson, Jonas Valančiūnas
    2012 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Dion Waiters, Thomas Robinson
    2013 Anthony Bennett, Otto Porter Jr., Cody Zeller, Alex Len
    2014 Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon, Dante Exum
    2015 D'Angelo Russell, Jahlil Okafor, Mario Hezonja
    2016 Dragan Bender, Kris Dunn
    2017 Markelle Fultz, Lonzo Ball, Josh Jackson
    2018 Deandre Ayton, Marvin Bagley III
    2019 RJ Barrett, De'Andre Hunter
    2020 James Wiseman, Patrick Williams, Isaac Okoro

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2001 Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Jason Richardson
    2002 Jay Williams, Mike Dunleavy, Drew Gooden, Nikoloz Tskitishvili
    2003 Darko Miličić
    2004 Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon, Shaun Livingston, Devin Harris
    2005 Andrew Bogut, Marvin Williams, Raymond Felton
    2006 Andrea Bargnani, Adam Morrison, Tyrus Thomas, Shelden Williams
    2007 Greg Oden, Mike Conley, Jeff Green
    2008 Michael Beasley, O.J. Mayo
    2009 Hasheem Thabeet, Tyreke Evans, Ricky Rubio
    2010 Evan Turner, Derrick Favors. Wesley Johnson
    2011 Derrick Williams, Enes Freedom, Tristan Thompson, Jonas Valančiūnas
    2012 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Dion Waiters, Thomas Robinson
    2013 Anthony Bennett, Otto Porter Jr., Cody Zeller, Alex Len
    2014 Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon, Dante Exum
    2015 D'Angelo Russell, Jahlil Okafor, Mario Hezonja
    2016 Dragan Bender, Kris Dunn
    2017 Markelle Fultz, Lonzo Ball, Josh Jackson
    2018 Deandre Ayton, Marvin Bagley III
    2019 RJ Barrett, De'Andre Hunter
    2020 James Wiseman, Patrick Williams, Isaac Okoro
    I think he didn't mean that most high draft picks are stars, but that most stars are high draft picks. That is, if you're going to get a star on your team a high draft pick gives you the best chance at it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was looking into how likely this pick is to convey this year and it looks good tbh.

Found this reddit thread with Toronto fans perspective.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/torontorapt...osing_to_tank/

Below are the odds for the Raptors to keep the pick.This is a copy past from the OP of that reddit thread.

The Raptors pick is Top 6 protected; they have about a 50/50 chance of keeping it if they're 6th in odds, with the odds going up the worse they are i.e. improved lottery odds. The issue right now is the bottom teams who are at the bottom are so, so far below the Raptors that 3rd worst is unobtainable and 4th is very difficult to get to.

Scenario Odds of Keeping the Pick (1-4) Odds of Keeping the Pick (5-6) Odds of Losing the Pick (7-30)
    If 3rd Worst... 52.1% 40.8% 7%
    If 4th Worst... 48.1% 32.9% 18.9%
    If 5th Worst... 42.1% 21.8% 36%
    If 6th Worst... 37.2% 8.6% 54.1%
    If 7th Worst... 31.9% 0% 68%

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was looking into how likely this pick is to convey this year and it looks good tbh.

Below are the odds for the Raptors to keep the pick.This is a copy past from the OP of that reddit thread.

The Raptors pick is Top 6 protected; they have about a 50/50 chance of keeping it if they're 6th in odds, with the odds going up the worse they are i.e. improved lottery odds. The issue right now is the bottom teams who are at the bottom are so, so far below the Raptors that 3rd worst is unobtainable and 4th is very difficult to get to.

Scenario Odds of Keeping the Pick (1-4) Odds of Keeping the Pick (5-6) Odds of Losing the Pick (7-30)
    It's very likely to convey and be a pretty good pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pops master plan this year is to limit the raptors ability to protect their pick by ensuring that at least the spurs finish worse than them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pops master plan this year is to limit the raptors ability to protect their pick by ensuring that at least the spurs finish worse than them
    Two top ten picks is exactly what this franchise needs. I love to see it. Send Sochan and Keldon to the bench with Tre and Zach and watch how much better we get. Topic/Vassell/Osman/Wemby/Sarr.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two top ten picks is exactly what this franchise needs. I love to see it. Send Sochan and Keldon to the bench with Tre and Zach and watch how much better we get. Topic/Vassell/Osman/Wemby/Sarr.
    think we've learned this wemby is good enough to handle center duties faster than we thought he could. he's holding it down now and will only get stronger as time goes on. i dont think he'll ever get to giannis type strength but probably doesn't need to given his simply absurd length and timing. he just needs to get strong enough such that he doesnt get completely uprooted every time somebody backs up into him. that and getting better at staying patient with upfakes (he's made some strides here, but still gets jumpy)

him playing the 5 will also help him offensively because his agility and handling will shine against centers. right now he still struggles to face up against wings (though he is showing more signs of taking on mismatches like he was early against the pelicans)

i feel like with Sarr we'd have 2 guys who should be centers, neither of whom has good strength yet. as wemby's outside shot improves and his handle tightens, he'll be a more viable 4 offensively, but not sure we want to go backwards with him.

imo we want to come away with a lead guard (topic) and a big wing (risacher or buzelis)

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I was hoping to also, but that was back in the preseason when I was thinking the Spurs were set at SG with Vassell, that one of Sochan/Johnson could be a passable starting SF, and maybe Branham could become something useful and the Spurs just needed a PG and another big or a tall swing. Now it's more clear that Sochan sucks, Branham is even worse, and at best maybe one of Vassell or Johnson could be someone worthy of being on this roster going forward. Now it would be jumping the gun since a two man team isn't winning . Really is impressive how much of a train wreck this roster plus Pop have been.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 12-18-2023 at 08:54 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I agree. As it is, Cs are not as valuable as they used to be unless they are exceptional
    talents like VW. Not worth using a top pick on Sarr in my view, might as well take a flier on Wiseman or Bol Bol next summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fwiw i dont hate sarr. if we hadnt landed wemby and instead wound up with scoot/miller or one of the thompsons, i'd probably be all for taking sarr. just seems redundant with wemby and is an inferior version

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could easily see Toronto jumping into the top 6

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one thing i know for certain is that the charlotte pick aint conveying this year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could easily see Toronto jumping into the top 6
    In the realm of possibility, but very unlikely. They’re at 10, and the lowest team to ever jump top 4 was #7. If Memphis, after Ja torched their season, and Charlotte after yet another LaMelo injury both decide to tank, I can’t see Toronto getting any higher than 8th, pre lottery. Portland and Utah have no interest in winning games. Utah loses their pick if they dropout of the top 10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one thing i know for certain is that the charlotte pick aint conveying this year
    Bridges suspension, followed almost immediately by LaMelo’s injury makes that unlikely. We get one more crack at it, and luckily, it wasn’t the linchpin of the trade, more of a throw in with those unprotected ATL picks and swaps.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was hoping to also, but that was back in the preseason when I was thinking the Spurs were set at SG with Vassell, that one of Sochan/Johnson could be a passable starting SF, and maybe Branham could become something useful and the Spurs just needed a PG and another big or a tall swing. Now it's more clear that Sochan sucks, Branham is even worse, and at best maybe one of Vassell or Johnson could be someone worthy of being on this roster going forward. Now it would be jumping the gun since a two man team isn't winning . Really is impressive how much of a train wreck this roster plus Pop have been.
    Yeah, I’m miffed at how bad this roster compared to what I thought they were before the season started.

I’M A DAMN SPUR!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Below are the odds for the Raptors to keep the pick.
    Thank you for posting. TOR are currently .429
    9th worst in the league.
    Streak : W1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Great post. Gives me room to hope.

Thread Information