Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry ex, but this statement doesn't make sense.

I'm one of the biggest Pop defenders on this board, but I also like to think I can see the big picture and will disagree with him when I see fit.

Maybe Tre could learn from leading this team as a PG. Maybe Sochan could learn from playing a more natural position in his 2nd year instead of trying to force a round peg into a square hole.

If we aren't tanking, but also aren't trying to win...as you put it...then what the are we doing?

Things move fast in pro sports. You aren't afforded "gap years"...you are either improving or declining.
    Experimenting. Do you pay no attention to what PATFO has been saying? Like since summer league?

Not dumping games, but not putting the best current lineups on the floor, either, in lieu of creating possible better future lineups.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Experimenting. Do you pay no attention to what PATFO has been saying? Like since summer league?

Not dumping games, but not putting the best current lineups on the floor, either, in lieu of creating possible better future lineups.
    except this is not a future better line up. I doubt more than 3 non Wemby current Spurs will be on the team in 5 years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So, we just gonna around for a season?

What is the benefit there?

We are either playing for a draft pick, or playing to win. Anywhere between those options is a stupid decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We are either playing for a draft pick, or playing to win. Anywhere between those options is a stupid decision.
    We can relive the glory days of the DDR/DJM play-in era

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Binary thinking leads you into all kinds of false dichotomies.

Pop and the Spurs have moved from talent acquisition priority to skill development priority. The Spurs have been doing this for years particularly in the 00s before the d league really developed into what we have today.

All throughout the golden years of 1999 - 2017 Popovich developed a pretty famous routine of using the first half of the season through early March to try lineups and players with an emphasis on development. It is also why you always hear about Popovich starting out every training camp with 'this is how we dribble,' 'this is how we pass,' 'this is how we set a screen,' etc.

Then it would culminate in the rodeo road trip where Pop would use team building exercises to really set in what they were going to do down the stretch. This is all part of why the Spurs are world renowned for player development.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "You see Pop's actually a genius for being so re ed"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What you don’t understand is that this season should be about wemby and not about sochan

give Jeremy his 10-15 minutes of point guard experimentation with the second unit instead of sabotaging the starters
    Wemby could leave the team after 4 years and ex would say he's not Spurs material and it's actually a good thing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many of the young guys' growth/confidence is being shaken and stunted because of this BS "experiment year". Pop could literally on the court and the Suckers would litigate on why it's a CIA move

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if any of you caught today's pregame presser but Pop was asked about Wemby's development and how he currently fits on the team. Pop basically said that he's just letting Wemby play and that the coaching staff is trying to figure him out. I take it to mean that there are no expectations this year beyond learning and teaching. It could also mean that some of Wemby's current teammates won't be Spurs for too long if their games don't compliment Wemby's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To think we could have had Sasser, but decided to trade down, instead of trading up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will get a top 5 pick again and you'll hear the same from the Sniff crew about next year being an "experiment." Anything to absolve their precious PATFO from any accountability

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but not putting the best current lineups on the floor, either, in lieu of creating possible better future lineups.
    The does this mean?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To think we could have had Sasser, but decided to trade down, instead of trading up.
    Don’t dwell on it. Pop wouldn’t even be playing him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes. How can this even be a question at this point, with as many times as it’s been stated?

PATFO seems to think there is a benefit to figuring out Wemby’s game. YMMV.

Whatever.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't understand that trading away when there were good players on the board.
    Last edited by rascal; 11-13-2023 at 12:33 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if any of you caught today's pregame presser but Pop was asked about Wemby's development and how he currently fits on the team. Pop basically said that he's just letting Wemby play and that the coaching staff is trying to figure him out. I take it to mean that there are no expectations this year beyond learning and teaching. It could also mean that some of Wemby's current teammates won't be Spurs for too long if their games don't compliment Wemby's.
    EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THIS POST 100 TIMES, AND INTERNALIZE IT. THIS IS THE NEW NORMAL FOR THIS ING SEASON. IF YOU DONT LIKE IT, CHECK OUT, AND CHECK BACK IN FOR THE DRAFT PROCESS. THROWING YOURSELF ON THE GROUND AND HAVING A TANTRUM WON’T AFFECT THE SPURS PROCESS ONE IOTA. IT JUST MAKES YOU LOOK DUMB.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't understand that trading down when there were good players on the board.
    Doesn’t help that the guard you drafted last year (Blake Wesley hasn’t done anything noteworthy to improve) I hate this Sochan experiment tho. I know they don’t want to go back and make it seem like Sochans failed but the SL needs to be Tre, Dev, KJ, Wemby, Zach

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THIS POST 100 TIMES, AND INTERNALIZE IT. THIS IS THE NEW NORMAL FOR THIS ING SEASON. IF YOU DONT LIKE IT, CHECK OUT, AND CHECK BACK IN FOR THE DRAFT PROCESS. THROWING YOURSELF ON THE GROUND AND HAVING A TANTRUM WON’T AFFECT THE SPURS PROCESS ONE IOTA. IT JUST MAKES YOU LOOK DUMB.
    Oh this is why Sochan is playing point guard? Because it somehow factors into the coaching staff figuring wemby out? The ? You guys are just making up now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. How can this even be a question at this point, with as many times as it’s been stated?

PATFO seems to think there is a benefit to figuring out Wemby’s game. YMMV.

Whatever.
    When Wemby is wide open for the lob and others regualarly ignore him and hog the ball.

Give us the Sniffer take on why this is beneficial and why it's unreasonable to expect a level of BBIQ a 7 year old possesses and thus those elementary passes be made.
    Spare us the *Super Secret CIA POP* stuff please.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who said it has to be the whole season? He just said “for a while”. That can certainly mean before or by the trade deadline. Sure some posters (and maybe even players) are losing patience but the Spurs also shouldn’t throw away an entire season when their franchise player has made it VERY clear that his favorite thing to do is win. By the trade deadline the Spurs will have played every team except Brooklyn. They will have played 18/29 teams at least twice. If they can’t turn it around and start winning games a trade should be made.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is not the problem. His play is not keeping the Spurs from winning We’ve seen the Bryn Forbes era and the Matt Bonner era and the Trey Lyles era, y’all are acting like Sochan at point is bad, funny stuff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t mind experimenting but only when it makes sense. Like Dantoni or Rivers making Harden the PG. He isn’t really a PG but he has elite handles, can get to the rim, create for others when he wants to, there was enough there where even though there were negative aspects to the experiment, he dribbled a lot, he isn’t always looking out for others, his mindset seemed to depend on his praise from the media, where you can see why they made him a PG to begin with and let him run the offense.

There is nothing about Sochans game that would let anyone believe that he could be a PG. He isn’t an elite passser, creator for others, dribbler, he can’t finish in the paint, he has no midrange and no 3 point shot. Even though he is taller than his opponents you can still guard him with a small bc he can’t score the ball. He has no feel for the position, no feel for how to run a game, and for some reason all of the sniffers just rationalize that playing PG is easy and anybody can do it. Even the comp to Ben Simmons doesn’t make any sense bc of the fact that Simmons was way ahead of Sochan as a dribbler and creator, and equal to Sochan in shooting. But beyond that Philly never made it past the second round with Simmons and none of Spurstalk wanted prime Simmons anyways so why do they want Sochan to become like him?

KJ isn’t on our team in 5 years. Vassell should be if he can stay healthy. Jones might be our backup for years. Especially if we draft a PG this year. Heck I’d take a flyer on Ivey from Detroit. But my point is that most of this team will be gone and I don’t mind experimenting and seeing who will stay and go, who fits with Wemby and who doesn’t, who develops and who doesn’t. I understand that. But I’m more frustrated bc I feel like Sochan isn’t getting a fair shot to play to his strengths and build up his confidence on what he can do instead of hope and pray for something that even he feels like he can’t do. He’s only 20. can kill his confidence. Especially when he is already super raw. It’s not like he has an elite skill to fall back on. I’d hate to waste a year of developing him as this PG only for him to be a starting PF next year and then maybe he struggles with that bc he it’s a completely different position. And then he has to learn a new all over again and his confidence isn’t the same.

There’s a real shot that at the end of his rookie contract, we actually don’t know how good of a fit he is on the team and his development isn’t as good had we just developed him properly instead of trying to microwave him into something he isn’t. That’s the confusing part of the experiment. Why the rush?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is actually playing well and the OG starting lineup in November is +17.9 and only behind BOS in defensive rating. A 50+ net rating jump from last month. Small sample size but a lot of geniuses is calling for Pop's head already based on that sample size.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is not the problem. His play is not keeping the Spurs from winning We’ve seen the Bryn Forbes era and the Matt Bonner era and the Trey Lyles era, y’all are acting like Sochan at point is bad, funny stuff
    What's Forbes doing nowadays? Might be good starting pg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have three goals this season:
    1) Develop young players.
    2) Evaluate their roster.
    3) Get a great draft pick next June.

FO and Pop are working together on that:
    When Wright didn't add a single vet FA and waived the ones added through trades, it isn't only to give as much playing time to the young players. It is also to ensure Spurs aren't compe ive.
    When Pop plays Sochan out of position, it isn't only to develop him. It is also a move that hurts Spurs results short term wise.

No teams is actively trying to lose games in November. Even last season, with a way more promising draft, Spurs started the season 5-2. The FO and Pop have put Spurs in a situation to be one of the worst team in the NBA and that's how you "tank".

While Spurs have a lot of future draft assets, they have one assets that is way above all the other: their own 2024 first round draft pick. Other assets are nowhere near as good with likely no other top10 picks in the next 5 years.
    Last edited by Bruno; 11-13-2023 at 08:23 AM.

Thread Information