SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have lost count of how many in-bound passes that were thrown directly to the opponents

Or those close to 5 sec violation. Note that these are all after timeout where they were able to draw up plans.

Is this due to the wrong player to do the in-bound pass? bad strategy by coaches?
    Last edited by spursparker9; 11-15-2023 at 07:21 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they have been struggling with this since the Dejounte era tbh

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The players don't look at the passer. They run around setting screens for nobody and the inbounder has to throw it before the five second count. The coaching for this team is amazingly bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have lost count of how many in-bound passes that were thrown directly to the opponents

Or those close to 5 sec violation. Note that these are all after timeout where they were able to draw up plans.

Is this due to the wrong player to do the in-bound pass? bad strategy by coaches?
    Wemby should be throwing in that pass. That or get it to the guy that's open. They seem to wait to pass only when the play says so. Don't seem to use their discretion.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan telegraphs his passes.

It takes him too long to make the pass and the defensive player is already anticipating he's going to pass because they know he can't take it to the basket on a dribble drive.
    Last edited by rascal; 11-15-2023 at 09:44 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, if feels like the Spurs should be able to throw an in bound pass during the flow of the game. I get it if there is a full court press and it's the last minute of the game down by one or up by one, but to not get an inbound in the flow of the game is pretty awful. And it's sad that this is something they will have to work on in practice, just like they do in middle school basketball.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one on the team can make a lob pass higher than the rim -

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As folks have mentioned, the Spurs don't actually lack the ability to pass. They pass a ton, with good success. The passing issues they have are most from passing windows. That's true when it comes to Wemby and how raw lobs are not a good form of offense (the idea that they should just throw it higher just makes it more risky). Lobs are supposed to be a way to take advantage of a leveraged defense. Wemby doesn't just innately have leverage over NBA players in most situations. Sure against the Suns who were okay with isoing short guys on him, yeah. But many bigs have been pushed out of the league because teams have learned to swarm with shorter players, and Wemby's absolutely not immune to that pressure.

But anyway, inbounds passing has been an issue because the guys haven't been getting open to take passes. Just too many angles and folks looking to get into scoring position rather than making a play work. A normal inbound sequence has multiple windows to enter the ball, including a failsafe option that opens up at the very end. It makes very little sense that guys aren't presenting those windows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The players don't look at the passer. They run around setting screens for nobody and the inbounder has to throw it before the five second count. The coaching for this team is amazingly bad.

Yeah, it’s the coaching. The players are not as bad as the (lack of) coaching makes them look.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But anyway, inbounds passing has been an issue because the guys haven't been getting open to take passes. Just too many angles and folks looking to get into scoring position rather than making a play work. A normal inbound sequence has multiple windows to enter the ball, including a failsafe option that opens up at the very end. It makes very little sense that guys aren't presenting those windows.

What you’re talking about requires practice that is well supervised and well instructed. The coaching staff is responsible for running good practice sessions. The coaches aren’t doing their jobs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They suck at everything

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are a low BB IQ team right now though, and that’s not always something coaches can fix across the board for each and every player. The boneheaded plays we make regularly, in bounds passing feels like just one of the many types.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just like everything else most notably Wemby, Pop is just observing inbounds passing instead of coaching.

Supposedly he'll start coaching one day when he's done observing, but the observations have to happen until they're complete so that Pop can learn what he has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would like to draft a 4 year college guy this draft. Just so we don’t have to teach the whole damn team fundamentals. is embarrassing at the stuff they can’t do

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who gives a **** its a develop and tank yr

Thread Information