Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    Barry Sanders isn't even the GOAT in terms of undisciplined running backs who 'stanky leg/ooga and booga' around their offensive line looking for the home run play. Chris Johnson was a better all around version tbh imo
    Bust that Barry hole, Mark!!!

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Explain to me in detail the help that Barry Sanders had like well you know, Emmitt Smith. I'll just wait here for your breakdown
    Irony is Barry's lone Playoff victory came in 1991 against the Cowboys, season before they went on 3 outta 4 Ring run.

I only remember Bobby Ross as good HC there. Chicken or the egg - did the Oline struggle forcing Barry to dance behind the line or did his playstyle result in Oline holds/injury inconsistent play. And in the 80s/90s, 1 flag or behind the line stop was a drive killer.

Bottomline. Neither Emmitt or Barry were elite pass catchers out of the backfield but #22 was better at it. I don't think Barry would translate well to todays game. Nor would I take him over Sweetness/Payton in the previous bruising one. Certainty a rare talent and inspirational playstyle but I'd take Tomlinson & Peterson in their prime too.

Marshall Faulk changed the position

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Lol "Barry wouldn't translate to today's game"

Put him in today's San Fran offense and he would flirt with 2k yards just the same

making an entire do entary on Garbage Time Julius Jones

Barry Sanders jumped off the screen to me as a kid. Nobody ran like that. Dude's Heisman season at OSU is one of the greatest individual seasons ever. Barry Switzer once cautioned his team not to hurt Thurman Thomas because he knew Barry would come in and tear em up.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    I loved Barry tbh. Yeah, Erik Cramer, Rodney Peete, and Scott Mitc guys…..

His line was not as bad as advertised and they had one really good WR for a few years (Herman Moore), but he played his career in the midst of the NFC’s dominant SB run and never had anywhere close to the supporting cast to go up against the big boys. Think about some of those teams now…late 80s/early 90s Giants and Redskins, the Cowboys and 49ers, then prime Brett Favre and the Packers. Those teams were playing a completely different sport compared to the Lions.

He takes a lot of for the negative runs but he ran every play like he had to provide them a spark because, well…he had to. Charlie Batch and Johnnie Morton sure as weren’t going to be the spark

Just saw the do entary and man, it looks like all of Barry’s relatives at one point or another were married to the rock
    Last edited by DeadlyDynasty; 12-07-2023 at 03:44 PM.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    Post Count
    lol edgelord Barry haters. Erhmahgerd he didn't run through holes!

I mean really, shut the up. These are just dog takes about a player who's one of the best players that ever picked up a football. It's hating just to do it. His team was trash and his coaching was trash. There's no other way to spin it.
    Too bad football is a team game, scro. Bet Barry was the king of one on one drills.

Never heard fans of any other player in NFL history cry from their snatch about how every single person around him was responsible for his lack of success. Barry Sanders is the most profoundly unlucky person in sports history.

Post Count
    I loved Barry tbh. Yeah, Erik Cramer, Rodney Peete, and Scott Mitc guys…..

His line was not as bad as advertised and they had one really good WR for a few years (Herman Moore), but he played his career in the midst of the NFC’s dominant SB run and never had anywhere close to the supporting cast to go up against the big boys. Think about some of those teams now…late 80s/early 90s Giants and Redskins, the Cowboys and 49ers, then prime Brett Favre and the Packers. Those teams were playing a completely different sport compared to the Lions.

He takes a lot of for the negative runs but he ran every play like he had to provide them a spark because, well…he had to. Charlie Batch and Johnnie Morton sure as weren’t going to be the spark

Just saw the do entary and man, it looks like all of Barry’s relatives at one point or another were married to the rock
    Career leader in runs for no gain.

Career leader in runs for a loss.

Football is a game of inches. Sometimes the team just needs three yards to get the first down. Sometimes the offense just needs to keep the possession alive so the defense can rest. Sometimes the offense just needs to get into field goal range.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    Yes if only Barry had just plowed straight into the line on all his handoffs the Lions fortunes would’ve changed.

Post Count
    Explain to me in detail the help that Barry Sanders had like well you know, Emmitt Smith. I'll just wait here for your breakdown
    This is the heart of it, and it always comes back to it eventually when Barry fans cry: Emmitt rage. It ultimately isn't about how great Barry was, it's about trying to minimize what Emmitt accomplished even though it has precisely zero to do with what the Lions were doing.

Let's talk about it, shall we?

Emmitt was a winner. Emmitt ran for his team, not for himself, and it showed. Emmitt talked up his O line and bought them gifts. Emmitt ran to the star and put the ball down. Emmitt came back into games to put it away when the coaches hid his helmet. The Cowboys players would have chewed nails for Emmitt.

Barry couldn't even be bothered to go back in for a play when a record was on the line, college or pro. News flash: those records matter to your teammates too. There are guys who blocked their guts out for Barry who would love to be in the record books. They ain't. Because Barry, in his own words "didn't understand".

Emmitt took on that blitzer when you needed it. Emmitt was open for that swing pass. Emmitt was the guy cheering and talking his teammates up on the sideline.

When the Cowboys were struggling, Emmitt told the press that they would win more games if Jimmy would give him the ball more. Jimmy was mad and fed the ball to Emmitt the next game. It was never a question again.

Team. Sport. Emmitt played it. Has the trophies and the records to prove it.

Blame game. Barry Sanders fans are great at it.

Post Count
    Yes if only Barry had just plowed straight into the line on all his handoffs the Lions fortunes would’ve changed.
    Oh, we're being absurd. Dur hur, let me see if I can do it too:

So he wasn't good enough to run between the tackles once in a while?

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    Oh, we're being absurd. Dur hur, let me see if I can do it too:

So he wasn't good enough to run between the tackles once in a while?
    Yeah he never ran between the tackles. You’re on a roll today.

:lol stanning for the Detroit Lions football franchise by ting on one of their 3 good players ever

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    I loved Super tecmo bowl running Barry outside

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I loved Super tecmo bowl running Barry outside
    Emmitt was like that in Madden 94, toss outside, get in front and hit hurdle button, untackleable

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Emmitt destroyed the 49ers so much we had to steal Ken Norten.

Troy was good. Irvin was better but Emmitt was the machine. He never made a mistake.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    His takes are garbage. He's one of those Emmitt fans that tries to make him look like the best ever while completely ignoring the fact that he had a bunch of road graders for an offensive line. If you took Emmitt and put him on the Lions he would likely make the same "he doesn't run behind his line" argument he is making for Barry.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    His takes are garbage. He's one of those Emmitt fans that tries to make him look like the best ever while completely ignoring the fact that he had a bunch of road graders for an offensive line. If you took Emmitt and put him on the Lions he would likely make the same "he doesn't run behind his line" argument he is making for Barry.
    and this is not to say Emmitt wasn't great. No way the Cowboys have the same success without him. Sure, it must be nice to spend the first 10 years of your NFL career never absorbing a hit from a player over 250 lbs, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with OV's Barry insecurity

"If only he would've ran between the tackles then the Lions would've taken down the early 90's Giants and Redskins, the Dallas Dynasty, any of the 49ers teams, or the Favre/Holmgren Packers"

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    So is this a real do entary that will actually dive into things and get messy, or is it the Netflix butt-kissing puff piece “do entary” crap that’s basically a 90 minute commercial for how great Barry is?

After Swamp Kings, I swore to never watch another Netflix sports doc, but maybe this one is different.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    I always felt with Barry it was one yard one yard home run.

Emmitt was five yards five yards five yards.

I think of Barry as the best pure runner ever while Emmett is the best all around back ever. Imo.
    This is the correct take.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    So is this a real do entary that will actually dive into things and get messy, or is it the Netflix butt-kissing puff piece “do entary” crap that’s basically a 90 minute commercial for how great Barry is?

After Swamp Kings, I swore to never watch another Netflix sports doc, but maybe this one is different.
    It's a puff piece, tbh. There's literally nothing you haven't seen or heard already. It was a good excuse to pass the time and relive many of his highlights.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count

The latter.

Post Count
    Thrown off by the word "absurd"

Post Count
    Lol you brought up Emmitt, not me. It's what every loser Barry Sanders fan does. I'm sure Emmitt is crying on his super bowl trophies about it.

Thread Information