Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's not give Pop all the credit for the beautiful game

Manu opened his mind, before Ginobili we were a robotic inside out team

And the addition of Diaw was huge, he was a fantastic passer
    This. Manu had more to do with the Beautiful Game than Pop and all the coaches combined.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. Manu had more to do with the Beautiful Game than Pop and all the coaches combined.
    True. And as Lefty said, it wasn't just Manu. The Spurs had elite passers, shooters, and screen-setters. The Beautiful Game was five players running an elaborate, interacting 2-man game on their opponents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's not give Pop all the credit for the beautiful game

Manu opened his mind, before Ginobili we were a robotic inside out team

And the addition of Diaw was huge, he was a fantastic passer
    I'm not giving him all the credit, but tbh, what you're thinking of as a diss here is actually a great compliment. Tell me how many coaches are so open-minded as to incorporate their players' ideas and philosophy into their game execution and style? Even more so back then, 10-15 years ago. Pop's versatility and innovating style are huge contributors to his longevity, success, and GOAT claim.

Same with Diaw, and it's why the coach discussion is so terrible here. It's not that the players do all the work or the coaches do, it's a mixture, and a good coach works to his team's strengths and is malleable to them, instead of rigidly imposing their style of offense/defense no matter the personnel (cough, triangle, cough Thibs). This is a great attribute to have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ 100% agree. When you think of any great coach you think of one single style, be it daly, Ramsey, Carlisle, spoelstra, KFC, or even lesser coaches like Rudy T, Rick adelman, and Mike d’antoni. The only three really great coach I think of who have won les with totally different styles are Riley (80s lakers vs 06 heat) and pop (99 vs 03 vs 05/07 vs 14 spurs). Larry brown was versatile but only won one ring.

Pop coaches four very different offences to les and that’s incredible. It also speaks to the greatest of Duncan.

Thread Information