Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Detroit got the draft pick right, even if they chose re ed Pop Jr as their coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously it's still early, but the Pistons show one of the issues with rebuilding. When you're terrible, the BPA is usually the best bet, but at some point you have to make the pieces fit. Cade, Duren, Ausar, & Killian Hayes are all poor to mediocre 3 pt shooters, and that's just not going to work in the modern NBA. Anyone can tank and trade impact players for future picks, but it still takes good planning and nuance (and often some patience and luck) to get to that top level where you're really competing with the best.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    14 straight loses, tying their worst. They are guards heavy. Anyway we get Ivey from them? Hook it up Monty
    14 straight losses is crazy.

If a team loses more than 10 times in a row, perhaps the team should examine the coaching situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If a team loses more than 10 times in a row, perhaps the team should examine the coaching situation.
    They have very good pieces, just not a good fit. Questionable also to get Wiseman, Bagley but Monty pretty much inherited them from last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs too have a lot of work to do. I believe they have done a great job lately and set themselves up with a real opportunity but thats not a guarantee they execute.

All 3 phases (draft, free agency and trade) are critical next 2-3 years. Spurs need to simultaneously improve and develop but also take real leaps and make shrewd tough calls on some players and the roster.

All the extra picks and salary cap doesn’t matter if they fail to land modern players who fit and compliment each other.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are heavy on guards, and they need vets. Collins and Keldon for Ivey and Duren They can workout the salaries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs too have a lot of work to do. I believe they have done a great job lately and set themselves up with a real opportunity but thats not a guarantee they execute.

All 3 phases (draft, free agency and trade) are critical next 2-3 years. Spurs need to simultaneously improve and develop but also take real leaps and make shrewd tough calls on some players and the roster.

All the extra picks and salary cap doesn’t matter if they fail to land modern players who fit and compliment each other.
    Trying to spin it so you can sell tickets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trying to spin it so you can sell tickets
    ABC

Always Be Closing

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously it's still early, but the Pistons show one of the issues with rebuilding. When you're terrible, the BPA is usually the best bet, but at some point you have to make the pieces fit. Cade, Duren, Ausar, & Killian Hayes are all poor to mediocre 3 pt shooters, and that's just not going to work in the modern NBA. Anyone can tank and trade impact players for future picks, but it still takes good planning and nuance (and often some patience and luck) to get to that top level where you're really competing with the best.
    Tell that to the Spurs, who 9 seasons into this era haven't figured this out.

At least in the Pistons case, because they started their re-build earlier and have generally picked higher, most of their picks were just taking the consensus option.

Which just goes to prove what I always preach: This mostly comes down to luck. Cunningham, in particular, was supposed to be the ideal modern archetype (Schmitz called him the most complete prospect he'd scouted in his decade covering the draft) and so far looks like a relative bust (granted, he plays amid zero spacing).

Unlike the Spurs, who once again lucked into a projected MVP level centerpiece immediately upon sinking to the bottom, they have a core that's ceiling appears top starter or fringe All-Star caliber.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I get tanking while Wemby gets stronger. Cade and Co are ready to compete but are not. They have nice pieces just not the right fit.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Two teams fighting for last place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the spurs would get their butts kicked by Detroit and pop will be all smiles and hugs with Monty after a 30 point spanking

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get tanking while Wemby gets stronger. Cade and Co are ready to compete but are not. They have nice pieces just not the right fit.
    Ya for sure. Not comparing DET to SA exactly only that there’s still a lot of work to do and det showing a blueprint of how hard this can be if you don’t execute at a high level all around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Detroit could be in similar spot as OKC and Orlando a few seasons ago, when it seemed like they had mismatched pieces and were floundering. Yet they've both come out of the other side loaded with talent and now being extremely compe ive.

Obviously, it's still early and we have to see if they'll actually start winning at some point this season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Id love for DET to give up on Cade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    15 straight losses. Something have to give. Is Monty getting canned? Trading for veterans? We have Keldon or Collins for Ivey

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their roster construction makes no sense. Our talent isnt the best, but at least the roster more or less makes sense notwithstanding "the experiment".

They have few potential "second lifers" in Hayes and Wiseman that will roll off their roster next year. They suck to be sure, but faced with being out of the league next year, might have added urgency to turn it around and could be short term risks worth taking (e.g., like a team friendly 1+1).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the spurs would get their butts kicked by Detroit and pop will be all smiles and hugs with Monty after a 30 point spanking
    That's what we are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    15 straight losses. Something have to give. Is Monty getting canned? Trading for veterans? We have Keldon or Collins for Ivey
    I remember when Monty played for the Spurs. We went to games back then. In warmups, he would stand at the three point line and jab step while he chatted with another bench player. He almost never shot or dribbled or ran or stretched. Just jab stepped so he could keep chatting and looking like he was a basketball player.

His coaching career has been much the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their roster construction makes no sense. Our talent isnt the best, but at least the roster more or less makes sense notwithstanding "the experiment".

They have few potential "second lifers" in Hayes and Wiseman that will roll off their roster next year. They suck to be sure, but faced with being out of the league next year, might have added urgency to turn it around and could be short term risks worth taking (e.g., like a team friendly 1+1).
    I keep watching their volatile situation if Pop could send much needed veteran help, and get us the young PG in return

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/11/pistons-bench-jaden-ivey-ausar-thompson.html

Interesting article about both Ivey and Ausar Thompson falling out of favor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn. I’d take either one in a minute. Keldon or Collins??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That means the coach is gone. They won't risk shuffling pieces around for that moron.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That means the coach is gone. They won't risk shuffling pieces around for that moron.
    Agreed. You can't fire the players.

Thread Information