Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby’s stats are improving with double-doubles the past few games, and multiple blocks, assists every game. It will just get better as the team gets more familiar playing, likewise Wemby settling. I’ll be curious who wins the ROTY for month going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby’s stats are improving with double-doubles the past few games, and multiple blocks, assists every game. It will just get better as the team gets more familiar playing, likewise Wemby settling. I’ll be curious who wins the ROTY for month going forward.
    Also his 3 pt % will go up if some of the remaining ballhogs start getting him the ball at the proper time.
    He often chucks a trey because in the Clueless Pop Offense he thinks he has to compete with the ballhogs.

Looked much better vs ATL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ryan Dunn is doing something similar for Virginia now, in terms of stocks. Interesting guy to keep an eye on. He's racking up defensive accolades and advanced numbers at an unprecedented rate.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/ryan-dunn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You wrote « an » award, not DPOY.
    it seemed to me that everything was clear from the context

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And rebounding, blocks and steals are the shiny things that attract voters. See Camby, Marcus.
    which of these did Marcus Smart have?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ryan Dunn is doing something similar for Virginia now, in terms of stocks. Interesting guy to keep an eye on. He's racking up defensive accolades and advanced numbers at an unprecedented rate.

Like him with the TOR pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He absolutely cancelled out Wade Taylor when they played the Aggies earlier this week. It was to the level that I thought Taylor was hurt or sick. Was shocking how disruptive he was. Definitely someone to keep an eye on for the draft next year.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    which of these did Marcus Smart have?
    Um...steals.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's still not getting nearly as many assists as he should with his teammates missing so many easy shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he was only in the top 8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. In steals.

How long did you comb through basketball reference to find a guy whose stats didn't precisely match my statement so you could gotcha me? I don't think I would have been surprised that there were exceptions. Is there a DPOY voter that I've wronged and owe an apology to? You certainly seem to be taking this seriously.

Do you actually disagree with my statement that DPOY voters have historically checked stats before voting because NBA defense isn't sexy and therefore not worthy of consideration? Honest to god, if you're actually a Spurs fan, and you actually watched Tim Duncan never win the goddamn award, how can you not at least partially agree with me? I know you think Kobe is better than Timmy (), but was he not the best defender in the league at least once?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. In steals.

How long did you comb through basketball reference to find a guy whose stats didn't precisely match my statement so you could gotcha me? I don't think I would have been surprised that there were exceptions. Is there a DPOY voter that I've wronged and owe an apology to? You certainly seem to be taking this seriously.

Do you actually disagree with my statement that DPOY voters have historically checked stats before voting because NBA defense isn't sexy and therefore not worthy of consideration? Honest to god, if you're actually a Spurs fan, and you actually watched Tim Duncan never win the goddamn award, how can you not at least partially agree with me? I know you think Kobe is better than Timmy (), but was he not the best defender in the league at least once?
    i don't think so
    just pointed out the absurdity of the argument that personal matchups determine a place in the top of all time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don't think so
    just pointed out the absurdity of the argument that personal matchups determine a place in the top of all time
    Whatever.

Back to topic: Timmy never won dpoy. He may never have gotten second in dpoy voting, if memory serves. He lost the award to Camby, to Artest, to Motombo, to Gasol, almost always when he and his team were as good or better at defense than anyone.
    He lost it to inferior players who got rebounds, steals, and/or blocks in some combination.

If a Spurs forum doesn't have some bitter old coot grumbling about how stupid dpoy voting is, then its not a Spurs forum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever.

Back to topic: Timmy never won dpoy. He may never have gotten second in dpoy voting, if memory serves. He lost the award to Camby, to Artest, to Motombo, to Gasol, almost always when he and his team were as good or better at defense than anyone.
    He lost it to inferior players who got rebounds, steals, and/or blocks in some combination.

If a Spurs forum doesn't have some bitter old coot grumbling about how stupid dpoy voting is, then it’s not a Spurs forum.
    didnt duncan actually have better counting stats than Marc Gasol that year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Gasol ALMOST didn’t make second team All D, tying for the position. One less vote, and we would have had a DPOY who wasn’t selected to either All D team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he/pop/coaches turned the historical worse defense into say 15 to 20 in defensive rating, then Wemby has a shot. But we are 29th.
    thats it --- currently Wemby is an afterthought regarding DPOY because the Spurs are horrible on D. Gobert is in front right now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ironically I think yes. The rationale was that Timmy missed time. So did Gasol.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong and the truth is they just hated Timmy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever.

If a Spurs forum doesn't have some bitter old coot grumbling about how stupid dpoy voting is, then its not a Spurs forum.
    I think the highest he ever finished in the voting was 3rd.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched OKC again and Chet is so comfortable on offense compared to Wemby! Okc is a well oiled machine and he can play off of his teamates with open shots after open shots...

But to me the biggest diff between the 2 is on the defensive end!

Victor is doing A LOT more especially in stuffs not in the stats thx to his 8' wingspan

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Gobert is single handedly shutting entire teams down in clutch time with either just a look or a jab step in that direction. He is the wolves most vital player and we also have Anthony Edwards. This is his (4TH) DPOY to lose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If i remember correctly, the gasol dpoy was the year they started really counting defensive rating rather than counting stats. Didn't last.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If i remember correctly, the gasol dpoy was the year they started really counting defensive rating rather than counting stats. Didn't last.
    Because it was just an excuse not to give it to TD.

Thread Information