Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Threre's a third option here, and that's that AMD cards support XESS on some les (a growing list). XESS might still not be up to DLSS quality but it's better than FS1/2, and at least equal to 2.2 for now. It's a really solid option in Cyberpunk 2077, if FSR 2.1 is 85% of DLSS, then XESS is probably 90-95%. I also don't see the artifacting you're talking about on FSR until you drop to at least balanced at 1080p or performance at 1440p. Balanced 1440p for most les is really solid, if not as great as DLSS is. But XESS is even better and gives the Radeon cards more parity with Nvidia.

DB, you can easily break this down into a few categories to determine what you want on your next GPU:

NVidia chips:
    Newest tech
    Beats AMD solidly to blowing them away in AI work/stable diffusion
    Raytracing king now and for the foreseeable future
    Lower power draw (if electric bills hurt)
    DLSS is probably the best single piece of tech in terms of improving a single GPU's shelf/life or allowing it to overperform that we've ever seen. It's better than overclocking to squeeze out another 5-15%, that's for sure.
    Much more expensive FLOP to FLOP
    Also includes less VRAM than AMD
    Chipsets historically haven't aged as well as AMD offerings (with the notable exception of the 1080ti).
    Great resale value, for what you're buying

AMD GPUs:
    Much better performance/price ratio for rasterized gaming (not Raytracing)
    Generally at least 4GB more VRAM at the same price point
    A much, much better software suite for accessing system settings. Seriously, NVidia's UI looks like it's from 2002.
    Arguably more well-rounded set of features (AMD Anti-Lag, Chill, Super Res, Enhanced sync, sharpening) -- None of these are as good as DLSS is though, but they're useful nonetheless
    Historically their cards outlive their usual lifespans because of driver optimization
    Very capable at the higher end of doing raytracing/AI work.
    They run hotter
    Use more juice from the wall
    For enterprise applications they're way behind Nvidia

A wash for me is drivers, as I feel like neither company can claim they're truly reliable. The /r/nvidia sub just flatly tells people to wait several days before upgrading to new versions now, but AMD's drivers don't seem to have the same magic to give their older cards the huge boosts they used to get (former 290x owner, heyo).

I just built a new rig and went with the 7900XT. I'd say the 7800xt is the sweet spot right now for gaming, though maybe overkill for what you're playing. I decided that VRAM is going to be more of a concern in the future than which upscaler I'm using, as they're already good and likely will only be better in 2-3 years when my card really needs to use them.
    Thanks man, I’m pretty sure I built my last rig based on your suggestions. Any reason to wait for deals or launches?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks man, I’m pretty sure I built my last rig based on your suggestions. Any reason to wait for deals or launches?
    There are a lot of rumors of an RTX 4000 Super series being introduced next month at CES. If they increase the VRAM and make the bus wider vs what it is on the current RTX 4000 series they could be interesting. It's sad how much Nvidia kneecapped the RTX 4070 Ti at 4k with such a narrow bus and only 12GB of VRAM.

Also can't believe I missed it in your previous post, but I'd spend the extra $30 on a Ryzen 7 7800x3D instead of a Ryzen 7 7700X. I didn't realize the 7800x3D and 7700X had such a small distance between them in price now. 7800x3D is the best of the best for gaming cpus you can buy today at any price. It beats the already strong 7700X by about 20% in gaming when cpu bound.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hy...0-100000910wof

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...800x3d/18.html
    Last edited by baseline bum; 12-10-2023 at 02:43 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horizon Forbidden West its first few months had shimmering unlike anything I have seen since the 360 gen. That's a pretty extreme example. Strange though, I thought PS5 had 16GB of unified memory.
    It does, but there's an operating system in there. Remember that Unified memory means everything runs on the same RAM. CPU, GPU, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ran across this rumor today. A lot of smoke behind it so I'd expect these cards to be real and revealed in 3-4 weeks at CES. Probably wouldn't put a lot of stock in these launch dates though.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-...80-super-31st/

For the cards mentioned if you're really wanting Nvidia's DLSS and were looking at the RTX 4070 for $550 to $600 then might be worth waiting for the RTX 4070 Super that'll likely be 15% faster if it's priced at say $600 to $650. At $700 I wouldn't buy the 4070 Super. If you were looking at the RTX 4070 Ti for $800 then I would say 100% wait, as the 4070 Ti is a ing dog and the 4070 Ti Super looks to fix its biggest weakness: namely, upgrading the VRAM from 12GB to 16GB. Well second biggest weakness: biggest weakness is the ridiculous price.

Though I'm seeing RTX 4070 dropping to $550 now. I still hate the 12GB and think the 16GB AMD RX 7800 XT will age better than the RTX 4070 for high res gaming, but they're pretty close right now at both 4k (~2% difference) and 1440p (~4% difference) so if you really want DLSS and raytracing 4070 is as cheap as I have ever seen it at $550.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 12-15-2023 at 12:51 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are a lot of rumors of an RTX 4000 Super series being introduced next month at CES. If they increase the VRAM and make the bus wider vs what it is on the current RTX 4000 series they could be interesting. It's sad how much Nvidia kneecapped the RTX 4070 Ti at 4k with such a narrow bus and only 12GB of VRAM.

Also can't believe I missed it in your previous post, but I'd spend the extra $30 on a Ryzen 7 7800x3D instead of a Ryzen 7 7700X. I didn't realize the 7800x3D and 7700X had such a small distance between them in price now. 7800x3D is the best of the best for gaming cpus you can buy today at any price. It beats the already strong 7700X by about 20% in gaming when cpu bound.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hy...0-100000910wof

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...800x3d/18.html
    Late to this as I've been sick, finally got got by COVID, but yeah the 7800x3d is the CPU to go for.

Other than that, I'd just piece it together over the next 20 days as components go on sale.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alright, I ordered the 7800x3d, motherboard and cooler. They were all below retail. Just need the psu, ram, ssd, and GPU. I’m thinking about going with the 7800xt. I had a 1060 and it treated me well so a little trepidatious about going with amd but I’m also not a hard core gamer so I think I’ll be happy. What do y’all think?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alright, I ordered the 7800x3d, motherboard and cooler. They were all below retail. Just need the psu, ram, ssd, and GPU. I’m thinking about going with the 7800xt. I had a 1060 and it treated me well so a little trepidatious about going with amd but I’m also not a hard core gamer so I think I’ll be happy. What do y’all think?
    Amd is definitely better performance value over Nvidia at the moment. 7800xt is probably the sweet spot for all gpus on the market right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1060 was a legendary gpu. All the Pascal cards were good other than the 1050 Ti. But there is nothing like the 1060 out from any of Nvidia, AMD, or Intel right now. If you're really worried about going AMD just get the 4070 since it dropped to $550. I value the 7800 XT's 4GB of extra VRAM over the 4070's raytracing and DLSS support, sounds like ElNono values the latter. COD tends to perform better on AMD than Nvidia but the 7800 XT and 4070 will trade blows on most games, with the 7800 XT slightly faster on average (+4% on Techpowerup's most recent ~20 game testsuite at both 1440p and 4k). Any of them will play 2k. Don't know if RTS games tend to do better on Nvidia or AMD since I don't play games in the genre (at least not since Age of Empires II).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you’re not hard core, AMD will work well for you. It’s the best bang for the buck right now.
    I merely was pointing out NVidia has the better hardware, but the prices are difficult to justify.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amd is definitely better performance value over Nvidia at the moment. 7800xt is probably the sweet spot for all gpus on the market right now.
    Ugh hate that it's a $500 card though when sweet spot used to be $239 to $349 before Turing in 2019. And I don't want to hear any inflation crap since sweet spot cpu is $130 right now (Ryzen 5 5600) thanks to robust compe ion when that price used to be low end crap like the i3-4130 or FX-6300.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im still sittin on am4 parts that i bought 3 years ago still in a box that i havnt put together yet, whether i should finish the build or just sell the cpu/mobo 3600x 450b mobo...and buy the 78003d

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok so I am going to wait until after the 8th for the Nvidia announcements. If the 4070 super slides into that 550-600 price point, I think that's what I'll grab.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Upgrade your router

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ugh hate that it's a $500 card though when sweet spot used to be $239 to $349 before Turing in 2019. And I don't want to hear any inflation crap since sweet spot cpu is $130 right now (Ryzen 5 5600) thanks to robust compe ion when that price used to be low end crap like the i3-4130 or FX-6300.
    Yeah the GPU market has gone to . You're basically paying 2x what you used to for a card at the similar performance line.

The small consolation is that they do have a lot of new features that the old ones didn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just bought a 850w psu and thermaltake assassin cooler....going to jump onto am5 platform

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok so I am going to wait until after the 8th for the Nvidia announcements. If the 4070 super slides into that 550-600 price point, I think that's what I'll grab.
    This leak has the 4070 Super within 5% of the 4070 Ti.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-...s-rtx-4070-ti/

If that's the case and it's $600 you're probably going to have to buy it the very second it's available to order to get at launch, as demand should greatly exceed supply at launch if so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like 4070 Super is going to be $600 and 4070 Ti Super $800, with the 4070S coming January 17th and the 4070TiS coming January 24th. I'd 100% take a 4070 Super at $600 over an RX 7800 XT at $500 if the leaked benchmark from the previous post is true despite the 4GB deficiency in VRAM. 4070TiS sounds like it could be really nice too, though I have a hard time believing it can hit nearly 4080 performance levels, especially at 4k for example, with its expected deficiency in CUDA core count vs the 4080.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still, Lovelace looking just like Turing generation (RTX 2000 series) where led with complete turds and then fixed them with decent mid-generation refreshes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    may splurge on the 4080 super

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will definitely be a quality 4k card. Though the 4070 Ti Super at $800 might be pretty good at 4k too. Fixes the achilles heel of the original 4070 Ti: namely the 12GB VRAM on a 192 bit bus which is anemic for a 4k card and why the original 4070 Ti tanked vs the 3090 Ti at 4k while being neck and neck at 1440p.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still crazy we now find $600 acceptable for mid/low tier, IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still crazy we now find $600 acceptable for mid/low tier, IMO
    PC gaming can't get a ing break. CPU, RAM, and SSD get cheap, GPUs double in price from 2018 to 2022 and then just kind of stay there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4070 Super reviews just went out. Tough call whether it's worth the extra $100 vs the 7800 XT. It'll be decently faster at 1440p than the 7800 XT in most games, but the way that lead narrows at 4k and with how it loses to the 7800 XT in Hogwarts at 4k is kind of concerning for how it'll age. Not that I'm saying the 7800 XT will age better, I don't think it will in all but outlier cases for heavily memory bandwidth bound games like Hogwarts, but it's also $100 cheaper. The 4070 Super definitely craps all over the trash original 4070 though. DLSS probably makes up for the $100 price difference to make the 4070 Super a little better deal than the 7800 XT for the money but I was hoping it would be an absolute no-brainer, especially at 4k since going up a tier in resolution seems to give a ballpark guess how the card will age. The card is good enough for the money (at least relative to compeition) that I suspect it will sell out at launch tomorrow morning.

Last edited by baseline bum; 01-16-2024 at 09:47 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RTX 4070 Ti Super has RX 7900 XT performance at $800. Comes nowhere close to RTX 4080 performance like it was hyped to be near.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...-ti-super-tuf/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FYI: Nvidia’s RTX GPUs can now upgrade SDR content to HDR using AI / RTX Video HDR joins RTX Video Super Resolution to further improve web videos.

Nvidia is launching a new feature for all RTX GPU owners today: RTX Video HDR. Much like how Nvidia’s RTX Video Super Resolution can upscale old, blurry web videos, RTX Video HDR uses AI to convert SDR color space video to HDR. You just need an HDR10-compatible monitor with HDR enabled in Windows.

RTX Video HDR is part of today’s 551.23 Game Ready driver release for the new RTX 4070 Ti Super launch. The Video HDR feature works in both Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome, and during my testing on an HDR600 monitor, I noticed it added subtle color detail to 4K YouTube videos that weren’t uploaded in HDR. The effect might be more obvious on a better HDR monitor, but it was difficult to notice unless I toggled it on and off multiple times. I found similar results when I tested RTX Video Super Resolution previously to upscale old YouTube videos and sharpen them up.

If you have an HDR monitor and an RTX card, you can download the latest drivers from Nvidia and head into the Nvidia Control Panel to enable RTX Video HDR. It’s available under the Video > Adjust video image settings in the Nvidia Control Panel, in the same location where you can enable RTX Video Super Resolution.

https://www.theverge.com/nvidia-rtx-video-hdr-feature-ai

Thread Information