Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i wrote off his ineffective defense early because of some tough matchups like Luka and Kawhi. but he was getting cooked by russell yesterday. and even in games where he's been passable, he just hasnt been an impact defender

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at Kyle's first 3 seasons. You can't compared Kyle now or in his prime compared to Sochan. It's really embarrassing how fans write off young players then build up busts. Young players are on different time lines. Look at draymond greens second season. The guy was 22 years old when drafted.

Just enjoy the ride. Sochan will have a successful nba career as a 9th overall pick.
    Anderson was just what I said from the jump and not only isn't a bust, but blew away the value of a typical 30th overall pick.

Sochan, again, is the opposite. There isn't anything one can point to and say he does it well or analytically have it bear out. He's flat out terrible at most things.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't want the Spurs to draft Sochan.

I was one of the few in here who wasn't high on him after the draft.

He's going to end up coming off the bench in a couple of years. Not looking good for a number 9 pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still have some small bit of hope for Sochan, but don’t want him playing PG ever again.

I wish Lonnie had been given the same developmental path as Sochan, tbh (in terms of minutes and opportunity).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His offense just cratered as the PF in this group. Nobody really guards him off ball and the cutting is less effective without a playmaking big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't want the Spurs to draft Sochan.

I was one of the few in here who wasn't high on him after the draft.

He's going to end up coming off the bench in a couple of years. Not looking good for a number 9 pick.
    Well, would you say you prefer Kuminga?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can only watch the nationally televised games so I’ve missed a lot of his better showings probably. I am wondering if playing in the bench will help. I didn’t watch the games where he’s gone to the bench but it didn’t seem like he played that much better. I figure his strength is defensive impact and that helps out the starting crew more but it’s too difficult to fit a guy in who doesn’t do anything offensively all that well and is passive.

I wonder what’s the strength of his game offensively. Defensively if he’s not impactful he’s not going to earn his spot in the starting lineup long term.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 12-15-2023 at 02:08 PM.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i wrote off his ineffective defense early because of some tough matchups like Luka and Kawhi. but he was getting cooked by russell yesterday. and even in games where he's been passable, he just hasnt been an impact defender
    I'm coming around to rascal's view on Sochan. He's not just not an impact defender; he's a bad defender. His defensive FG% is 50.0%, tying him with guys like Domatas Sabonis, Luka Doncic, and Brandon Miller. And just a hair above Zach Collins' 50.3% DFG. If you sort by DFG on nba.com's stats page Jeremy is near the bottom of page 7 of 10. Even Trae Young's DFG (49.5%) is half a point better than Sochan's. He can dye his hair and wear #10 but it's getting to look like Sochan might be a poor man's Malik Rose rather than another Dennis Rodman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can only watch the nationally televised games so I’ve missed a lot of his better showings probably. I am wondering if playing in the bench will help. I didn’t watch the games where he’s gone to the bench but it didn’t seem like he played that much better. I figure his strength is defensive impact and that helps out the starting crew more but it’s too difficult to fit a guy in who doesn’t do anything offensively all that well and is passive.

I wonder what’s the strength of his game offensively. Defensively if he’s not impactful he’s not going to earn his spot in the starting lineup long term.
    FT shooting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still have some small bit of hope for Sochan, but don’t want him playing PG ever again.

I wish Lonnie had been given the same developmental path as Sochan, tbh (in terms of minutes and opportunity).
    I wonder what his work ethic is. Being such a poor defender reflects pretty badly on that, especially when Rodman's success came largely from him being obsessive watching game tape on both his team and his opponents. Then again he's 20, maybe Pop's seeing something we're missing.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year, he was a bad defender but at least tried hard. This year, he didn’t even appear to be trying

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He just needs a different coach like a lot of ex-Spurs players did. See Lonnie Walker for example

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He just needs a different coach like a lot of ex-Spurs players did. See Lonnie Walker for example
    lonnie was the same thing with the lakers that he was with the spurs, and has had a hot 1.5 months to start this season under the revolutionary coaching ability of *checks notes* jacque vauhgn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Masterclass in killing this kid's confidence tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Masterclass in killing this kid's confidence tbh
    he needed to break him down so he could rebuild him

cia pop

#sniffcrew

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah he still sucks

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm coming around to rascal's view on Sochan. He's not just not an impact defender; he's a bad defender. His defensive FG% is 50.0%, tying him with guys like Domatas Sabonis, Luka Doncic, and Brandon Miller. And just a hair above Zach Collins' 50.3% DFG. If you sort by DFG on nba.com's stats page Jeremy is near the bottom of page 7 of 10. Even Trae Young's DFG (49.5%) is half a point better than Sochan's. He can dye his hair and wear #10 but it's getting to look like Sochan might be a poor man's Malik Rose rather than another Dennis Rodman.
    A little context, Sochan guards every point of attack player from 1-4. He is ranked 1 on matchup versatility in the league. He is our Dillon Brooks.

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan doesn’t do anything good or even above average except airballing 3s with 10 feet of space to shoot it. Hopefully GMs are as dumb as some of the other posters in this thread and he can be traded for a known quan y when it’s time to compete

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A little context, Sochan guards every point of attack player from 1-4. He is ranked 1 on matchup versatility in the league. He is our Dillon Brooks.
    He guards them... But they cook him... And it's not like he scores on the other end

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He isn't playing well at all. Pop plays him in difficult situations. Both are true. Time will tell if he improves. I suppose the perpetually angry would in theory have to choose between hating Sochan himself or hating Pop for ruining him. What a dilemma!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All these words just to say he's a nice back up big man
    Dust is far from settled as to his position on a winning team, and moreso, it's frankly quite strange that a Spurs fan of all people would talk about bench players dismissively. What would be so wrong about him playing backup to a star PF on a le team, tbh?

Manu made a living off being a back up wing. And the Spurs have their Timmy D already... Hopefully we go for that Parker PG in this draft, fingers crossed on a top-3 pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan was never projected to be a star. He’s an intangible guy. Someone who has the raw skills to develop into a strong complement to star players. If he continues to shoot threes at a high percentage and improves as a defender. The Spurs will just need a number two to pair with Wemby. Vassell is more a third best player. With just those 3, all years below their prime, get a good number two and they will win a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dust is far from settled as to his position on a winning team, and moreso, it's frankly quite strange that a Spurs fan of all people would talk about bench players dismissively. What would be so wrong about him playing backup to a star PF on a le team, tbh?

Manu made a living off being a back up wing. And the Spurs have their Timmy D already... Hopefully we go for that Parker PG in this draft, fingers crossed on a top-3 pick.
    wow you are in your feels a bit
    Ive actually defended Sochan by saying he would be a perfect back up big. In fact I’ve been the only one defending Sochan. He’s a hustle energy player off the bench. That’s what he was at Baylor. It’s the role I want for him here. I’m the only one with realistic expectations from Sochan. People here want to see him fail at PG for some reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan was never projected to be a star. He’s an intangible guy. Someone who has the raw skills to develop into a strong complement to star players. If he continues to shoot threes at a high percentage and improves as a defender. The Spurs will just need a number two to pair with Wemby. Vassell is more a third best player. With just those 3, all years below their prime, get a good number two and they will win a lot.
    They could have pick up an intangible guy in the 2nd round. , they probably could have gotten Sochan in the 2nd actually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow you are in your feels a bit
    Ive actually defended Sochan by saying he would be a perfect back up big. In fact I’ve been the only one defending Sochan. He’s a hustle energy player off the bench. That’s what he was at Baylor. It’s the role I want for him here. I’m the only one with realistic expectations from Sochan. People here want to see him fail at PG for some reason.
    See my response above...............

Thread Information