Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I kinda hope not, imo he is our second best player and he and Wemby seem to be developing some chemistry unlike the other players on the team. Also, some of our few wins would not have happened without Keldon tbh.
    We have 3 wins. Calm down with the second best player on our team at ude. Dude plays loser basketball. No defense. No IQ. No court vision. You can't be in year 5 and still have no idea how to play defense. I didn't think it was mentally possible not to learn after 5 years but I was wrong

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be a one year shot to convey, since their 2030 pick is already traded.
    Yeah, i saw. Maybe that factors into the level of protections, or they could require a BOS-type swap right too. Honestly i'd prefer the picks to any players in the hopes of having as much ammo as possible when VW is good.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly, the gulf between our best player and 2nd best player is so vast in a roster devoid of talent outside of Wemby. Like being the smartest re in a class full of re s. It's not even a compliment
    So like being summa laude at UTSA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even Vassell?

Granted, I haven't watched a lot of Spurs game this season , so maybe he stinks lol
    He hasn’t stunk, but he hasn’t improved either. Some thought he would take that next step, but that is nowhere in sight. And the advanced stats say his reputation for being a good defender is illusory. Which the game results bear out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only other playoff teams with aspiration (not just ones happy to be there) for Keldon's services would Philly or the Knicks. Maybe i toss the Kings in there. The fit the profile of teams trying to take the next step but still in that tier below in their respective conferences.

Knicks have interesting picks from other teams, but i think I'd prefer far out ones from Philly the most at this point since Embiid will start to wear down here in the next 3-4 years.

It's a process... mexicanjunior's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He probably asked to be traded and this is coming from his agent. Why would he wanna stick around on this show?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do wonder what Keldon's value is around the league. Given his age, i think a Derrick White type package is probably in the ball park. Derrick was better than Keldon at the time he was traded, but also older that Keldon who is cost controlled and on a decreasing deal. What do others think?

Something like:
    GWG: Keldon/filler
    SAS: CP3's expiring + Moody/Podemski + protected 28FRP

Spurs get a look at a young piece, but more importantly a decent asset when VW should be crushing it.
    I don't see either team being interested in that.

I suspect when the Spurs do move him (probably in 18 months max), it'll be either as part of a trade for a star (Johnson, Branham + significant draft capital for Mitc ?) or for a highly touted young player, who's fallen out of favor but theoretically fits better (Johnson + draft capital for Ivey + expiring salary filler?)

He hasn’t stunk, but he hasn’t improved either. Some thought he would take that next step, but that is nowhere in sight. And the advanced stats say his reputation for being a good defender is illusory. Which the game results bear out.
    Not true. His play making has improved and his handle is clearly tighter, as he's able to execute combos that he couldn't as recently as last season. Not that either are good, but they were never going to be.

The jury is still out on his 3-point shooting, which has wildly fluctuated throughout his career.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even Vassell?

Granted, I haven't watched a lot of Spurs game this season , so maybe he stinks lol
    His play over the last ten games or so has been pretty underwhelming. Could be a product of playing losing basketball and being unmotivated, but still not promising.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this FO and coach have a hard time believing their reach projects aren't working out so you probably won't see trades. There's no reason Keldon or Vassell want to leave, they're not getting this amount of playing time anywhere else.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this FO and coach have a hard time believing their reach projects aren't working out so you probably won't see trades. There's no reason Keldon or Vassell want to leave, they're not getting this amount of playing time anywhere else.
    Who are the "reach projects" you think they are having a hard time letting go of?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who are the "reach projects" you think they are having a hard time letting go of?
    The guys they draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While Spurs might end up trading Keldon, I doubt it will be this season and even more to GSW. Warriors have nothing of interest for Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are high on Keldon today because he scored 28 last night. Yes, he can put up gaudy offensive numbers on occasion. And yes, it’s possible with Vassell’s regression that KJ is currently the second-best player on the Spurs.

Which is as good an explanation as any for why they’re 3-20.
    Johnson's had a good year, not just a good night. To some extent it's to be expected, because he's the most actualized of the "young" players on the roster. But even as down on him as I was last year, I couldn't've asked for him to play better this year than he's currently playing. He's the only person providing consistent vertical spacing, which Wemby and Vassell are going to need to keep improving. While Johnson can and likely should be improved upon, he's not the odd man out in the context of someone like Branham or Collins.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have 3 wins. Calm down with the second best player on our team at ude. Dude plays loser basketball. No defense. No IQ. No court vision. You can't be in year 5 and still have no idea how to play defense. I didn't think it was mentally possible not to learn after 5 years but I was wrong
    He's not a basketball player for you lol

imo it's not fair

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is that Keldon needs to play like a first or second option, but he's not good enough to be anything more than a solid 6th man on a playoff team.

Yeah, his 3pt shot is solid now and he obviously worked very hard to improve it, but that's not his game. Or at least it shouldn't be.
    Right now 40% of his shots are from behind the 3pt line. And he's attacking the rim less and less due to poor spacing.

Imo, there's no chance for him to improve even more and get to another level, so if there's a team with legit interest and it's a good offer, he should be moved.
    Don't get rid of him just for the sake of making a trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is that Keldon needs to play like a first or second option, but he's not good enough to be anything more than a solid 6th man on a playoff team.

Yeah, his 3pt shot is solid now and he obviously worked very hard to improve it, but that's not his game. Or at least it shouldn't be.
    Right now 40% of his shots are from behind the 3pt line. And he's attacking the rim less and less due to poor spacing.

Imo, there's no chance for him to improve even more and get to another level, so if there's a team with legit interest and it's a good offer, he should be moved.
    He was pretty damn good in a support role playing off of DeRozan and Dejounte. His shooting is better as a catch and shoot guy.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even Vassell?

vassell sucks twice as hard as keldon and only half as much as branham…

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That could stand to be higher, not lower. League average 3PAr (three point attempt rate; what % of a team's shots are threes) is 39.1%, and the Spurs as a team are currently 9th in the league at 40.8%. If you want 40% 3PAr as a team you would want your best shooters to be above that.

Edit: I just looked it up, Keldon's 3PAr is 42.6% right now. That's probably a good number, though for a 37.1% three point shooter like him (a bit above league average) I would be okay with it being even higher. Vassell is at 50.8% for comparison.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only other playoff teams with aspiration (not just ones happy to be there) for Keldon's services would Philly or the Knicks. Maybe i toss the Kings in there. The fit the profile of teams trying to take the next step but still in that tier below in their respective conferences.

Knicks have interesting picks from other teams, but i think I'd prefer far out ones from Philly the most at this point since Embiid will start to wear down here in the next 3-4 years.
    The Warriors need him, and there is a draft pick I really want that they have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd keep Johnson...as a 6th man.
    thats it.

I do like him in moments. He has an energy about him that can be contagious. But his BBIQ just needs to be better.
    but since its unlikely that he ends up as a bench player, I'd rather he be moved.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be an absolute massive mistake to trade 1 of the only 3 NBA players you have on the roster. He's better than Vassell, sorry. People on his defense like Devin isn't a net negative on that side himself. Out of all perimeter players, he's the one that feeds Victor the most. He was the one that fed Victor last night on the second clutch three, as well as the lob.

Sadly with the re we have running this anic, this rumor sounds the par. The same re that reached on a late first round prospect in Josh Primo and picked him in the lottery. The same re that had the riches of 3 first rounders last summer and used them on the worst players in the league, analytically.

Look at all the young pieces Houston has. Sengun, Green, Smith, Eason, Thompson, Whitmore. Who do we have if Keldon gets traded? Wemby, Vassell and ing scrubs that are unplayable in Sochan, Branham, Wesley, Champagnie. A joke. Get rid of those cancerous whiffs first and get actual NBA players.

Keldon is always being scapegoated for the old man's dementia. He's the new Lonnie Walker to Spurs fans. Start an actual PG in Tre Jones first and see what how the team looks.
    Last edited by TheGreatYacht; 12-14-2023 at 06:23 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do Spurs fans always get attached to mid players? And why is anyone attached to anyone on this roster not named Wemby? Being the 2nd or 3rd best player on a team that won the top pick and still can only muster 3 wins is NOT impressive, and KJ is not the type of player that is exactly rare or anything.
    And exactly what superstar or all-star player have the Spurs ever overpaid to bring in? Yes KJ is a mid tier player but you're acting like the Spurs will be bringing in somebody significantly better. I would love to have mid tier D. White right now vs what we have but they let him go too.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To those Spurm fans that still think Vassell is a two way player.

Keldon took a friendly contract of 4yr/74M. Vassell didn't. Never forget that. 5yr/135M.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd keep Johnson...as a 6th man.
    thats it.

I do like him in moments. He has an energy about him that can be contagious. But his BBIQ just needs to be better.
    but since its unlikely that he ends up as a bench player, I'd rather he be moved.
    his defense is his limiting factor... for as much of an energy guy he is, my god, he can be lazy and unaware on D. even when he does something well, he just cant stack it onto another good play. this play stuck out to me yesterday.

first i was thrilled because a smart double came. in many of our games, you'd see the guy in branham's position go for the double and give up a ridiculously easy 3. this time, keldon made the correct decision. sochan then moves to cover for keldon and plays between the two guys. good. keldon's double is effective, distracts davis enough for wemby to swipe at the ball, AD has to pick it up. good. as soon as he passes it out, johnson turns around and starts... jogging toward the corner. we'll get back to that. when the pass is made from prince to hachimura at the top of the arc, sochan is already there on time, and vassell is also in time to rotate and cover sochan's man, russell. truth be told, vassell could have rotated a little earlier, but its not the point for now. keldon is still jogging. only after reddish is up for his shot does keldon start showing hustle to contest the shot, but its too late. splash

once keldon helped force the AD pass, he had to immediately haul ass and sprint to the corner to be back in time. instead a good play by him, followed by good (enough) rotations by his teammates, all goes to waste because he doesnt finish his portion of the play. just so frustrating. and this was a moment in the game where i was talking to the TV saying "oh nice defense!"... no. like, keldon is usually pretty nonchalant on D, but it was just a killer to see that ruin what had actually been a nice play

to be fair, vassell was late too. sochan correctly rotated to be in between hachimura and russell. as sochan rotated, vassell also should have positioned himself between reddish and russell. he was late but russell made the extra pass anyway. ultimately, i think the distance wasnt big enough for it to matter much, but its little things like that which even vassell is struggling with. but with keldon its just consistently lethargic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his defense is his limiting factor... for as much of an energy guy he is, my god, he can be lazy and unaware on D. even when he does something well, he just cant stack it onto another good play. this play stuck out to me yesterday.

first i was thrilled because a smart double came. in many of our games, you'd see the guy in branham's position go for the double and give up a ridiculously easy 3. this time, keldon made the correct decision. sochan then moves to cover for keldon and plays between the two guys. good. keldon's double is effective, distracts davis enough for wemby to swipe at the ball, AD has to pick it up. good. as soon as he passes it out, johnson turns around and starts... jogging toward the corner. we'll get back to that. when the pass is made from prince to hachimura at the top of the arc, sochan is already there on time, and vassell is also in time to rotate and cover sochan's man, russell. truth be told, vassell could have rotated a little earlier, but its not the point for now. keldon is still jogging. only after reddish is up for his shot does keldon start showing hustle to contest the shot, but its too late. splash

once keldon helped force the AD pass, he had to immediately haul ass and sprint to the corner to be back in time. instead a good play by him, followed by good (enough) rotations by his teammates, all goes to waste because he doesnt finish his portion of the play. just so frustrating. and this was a moment in the game where i was talking to the TV saying "oh nice defense!"... no. like, keldon is usually pretty nonchalant on D, but it was just a killer to see that ruin what had actually been a nice play

to be fair, vassell was late too. sochan correctly rotated to be in between hachimura and russell. as sochan rotated, vassell also should have positioned himself between reddish and russell. he was late but russell made the extra pass anyway. ultimately, i think the distance wasnt big enough for it to matter much, but its little things like that which even vassell is struggling with. but with keldon its just consistently lethargic
    I actually think Vassell is late BECAUSE Keldon is late on that play Vassell can't go too early without giving up the skip pass. So he has to wait until the pass is made, but because Keldon is slow, Vassell can't move up so that he doesn't have to start from as far back. He also can't cheat up early, because he'd be above the line of ball and man and basically give up a back-door layup. If Keldon were closer, I think Vassell would've felt comfortable passing his man off a second earlier, which probably makes a completely clean rotation. I noticed that play too, both during the game and during that mistakes video. There was very little reason for Keldon to hesitate there. As soon as Davis picks up his dribble, Johnson is supposed to sprint to the corner. Wemby has to be able to contest anything AD can do from a set position without help. Johnson also jumped to try to disrupt the pass, which is a type of gamble the Spurs wings do way too often. That just slowed him down more. In reality, Johnson shouldn't've even been there by the time the pass was made, but he certainly shouldn't be jumping like that. That other Spurs do the same thing worries me that it might be a coaching decision rather than just a mistake.

Thread Information