Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree, sounds like OG maybe?
    too expensive and too small. Plus, theres zero rush to get this guy when we have guys there that are competent enough to not be the reason for our losing woes. The team is lacking an offensive player whose game isnt centered on his shot being on or off (looking at Vassell). A player that is a threat on offense at all three levels and passing. That should be the main focus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But players like Aaron Gordon or Jaden McDaniels would be perfect. No stiffs on defense like John Collins, Lauri M, etc. these players have to be versatile on defense… meaning be very nimble.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But players like Aaron Gordon or Jaden McDaniels would be perfect. No stiffs on defense like John Collins, Lauri M, etc. these players have to be versatile on defense… meaning be very nimble.
    Honestly this is probably jeremy sochan if he gets back on track with his development. At least at the end of last year it looked like sochan could be that guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassells inconsistencies comes from having to create too much and forced to take difficult shots. A quality PG should help including Vassell gets easier shots.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope this isn't just a case of small sample size. Guess we'll see if New Orleans puts 130 on the Spurs in a couple of hours.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly this is probably jeremy sochan if he gets back on track with his development. At least at the end of last year it looked like sochan could be that guy.
    Yeah, for the record i’m not writing Sochan off. But with the current state of the team you have to be open to all possibilities. All the years the Spurs kept drafting a combo PG turned out to be fruitful strategically. You dont commit until players cement themselves as long term pieces. Vassell achieved that status because every winning team needs a ahooter like him and his leadership + chemistry in the locker room cemented it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The same reason why Vassell needs someone to set him up to be consistent is the same reason why a team constructed with him as the #1 or #2 guy (when the #1 guy is not a playmaker) is going to fail like the Spurs have. If Wemby is a long term Spur, then Vassell will always be the #3 guy at best once the team starts winning consistently.

if anything, the Paul George comparisons should die now. Paul never needed a point guard to play at his level and Vassell never had the ball handling he has. There were even Kawhi comparisons early on his career and that Vassell would “bulk up” easily. Turns out players dont bulk up if they dont have the frame for it. Vassell is at his best taking shots when he takes at most, 3 dribbles.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The same reason why Vassell needs someone to set him up to be consistent is the same reason why a team constructed with him as the #1 or #2 guy (when the #1 guy is not a playmaker) is going to fail like the Spurs have. If Wemby is a long term Spur, then Vassell will always be the #3 guy at best once the team starts winning consistently.

if anything, the Paul George comparisons should die now. Paul never needed a point guard to play at his level and Vassell never had the ball handling he has. There were even Kawhi comparisons early on his career and that Vassell would “bulk up” easily. Turns out players dont bulk up if they dont have the frame for it. Vassell is at his best taking shots when he takes at most, 3 dribbles.
    Vassell is probably at his best as a 3 point spacer and tough shot maker. Offense bogs down, shot clock winding down, need a bucket to bail you out, kobe style tough shot maker. Or a scheme busting mid-range guy when defenses nowadays are geared toward stopping rim attempts and 3 pointers. Which is fine, every great team needs one of those, but I agree that he shouldn't be looked upon as a guy you run your offense through. All he really needs in my eyes to justify his current contract is to get to the rim more and play defense. But the team needs a true initiator badly to maximize its potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One more thing

The presumption is that the Spurs are drafting in the top five this year. And, there have been signs and pictures that theyre looking into Nikola Topic.

The assumption is, having a passer like Topic will make Vassell more consistent/ be a better player.

BUT… folks shouldn’t believe that this is what the Spurs are drafting Topic for.

with a top 5 pick, the Spurs have to believe that whoever theyre drafting… regardless of if that player is the perfect complement to players currently on the roster… has the potential to be a franchise player on their team… over the guy they drafted at #11. THAT should be the expectation with a pick that high and not simply to have a guy who can pass.

so, this is part of my reasoning of why I say Vassell is the third guy on this team because by default, he should be… if the Spurs do their due diligence with this pick.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One more thing

The presumption is that the Spurs are drafting in the top five this year. And, there have been signs and pictures that theyre looking into Nikola Topic.

The assumption is, having a passer like Topic will make Vassell more consistent/ be a better player.

BUT… folks shouldn’t believe that this is what the Spurs are drafting Topic for.

with a top 5 pick, the Spurs have to believe that whoever theyre drafting… regardless of if that player is the perfect complement to players currently on the roster… has the potential to be a franchise player on their team… over the guy they drafted at #11. THAT should be the expectation with a pick that high and not simply to have a guy who can pass.

so, this is part of my reasoning of why I say Vassell is the third guy on this team because by default, he should be… if the Spurs do their due diligence with this pick.
    Agree, this would be more obvious to us if the draft had more top tier talents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There were Vassell/PG13 comparissons?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guess we'll see if New Orleans puts 130 on the Spurs in a couple of hours.
    Bump

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pels with franchise record in made 3pt shots

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassells inconsistencies comes from having to create too much and forced to take difficult shots. A quality PG should help including Vassell gets easier shots.
    He isn't forced to take those shots. He chooses to take those shots because he's a black hole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The perfect PF next to Wemby is a supercharged version of Cedi Osman, tbh. The eventual championship team that Wemby will be on wont have a star at every starter position. There needs to be a garbage man/ all around player that wont get many shots but will do everything else. Since it’s easier to find a star at the other positions, it makes sense to not invest too much in the PF position with their draft picks or cap space.
    the perfect PF next to Wemby would be Jaren Jackson Jr.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope this isn't just a case of small sample size. Guess we'll see if New Orleans puts 130 on the Spurs in a couple of hours.
    Optimistic AF

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the perfect PF next to Wemby would be Jaren Jackson Jr.
    Slightly disagree. A guy like Jaren thinks he deserves shots, and while a guy like that can co exist with Wemby and even maybe thrive defensively, I dont think it’s the best fit offensively. Wemby unlocked would be a player with no one on his team being in his way when he wants it on the low block. If you have another guy like Jaren needing/ wanting those touches, it takes away from Wemby’s full potential… an offensive beast who can mix it up inside and outside. That’s why I say, the perfect complement to Wemby at the pf position is a low cost, do-it-all garbage man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was so much worse… franchise record setting 3 pointers worse and you gave as pessimistic foreshadowing as any of us would be willing to give

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    He isn't forced to take those shots. He chooses to take those shots because he's a black hole.
    He wears the number 24. Wonder who he modeled his game after

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was so much worse… franchise record setting 3 pointers worse and you gave as pessimistic foreshadowing as any of us would be willing to give
    Remember when Timmy and Bruce were here and every game, teams would just happen to have a bad shooting night on the same night they played the Spurs? Every great player in interviews saying, "oh we just missed shots."

This Spurs team is the opposite of that.

What's crazy is that it is the easiest fix in the world. Tell everyone to stay home on the perimeter and suddenly the Spurs' opponent ppg drops by 12.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember when Timmy and Bruce were here and every game, teams would just happen to have a bad shooting night on the same night they played the Spurs? Every great player in interviews saying, "oh we just missed shots."

This Spurs team is the opposite of that.

What's crazy is that it is the easiest fix in the world. Tell everyone to stay home on the perimeter and suddenly the Spurs' opponent ppg drops by 12.
    I remember that, I also remember complaining about that team I never knew what it truly was like to support a terrible team. Yet, alas, here we are. This team is young, long, and athletic. Defense should be easier than offense for them. Imagine if Wemby wasn’t here and the Spurs had Scoot, Miller, or one of the twins. I shudder at the thought, it could be worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah not in the top 5 after that defensive nightmare and public massacre.

Post Count
    22 three pointers lol

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hmmm....

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slightly disagree. A guy like Jaren thinks he deserves shots, and while a guy like that can co exist with Wemby and even maybe thrive defensively, I dont think it’s the best fit offensively. Wemby unlocked would be a player with no one on his team being in his way when he wants it on the low block. If you have another guy like Jaren needing/ wanting those touches, it takes away from Wemby’s full potential… an offensive beast who can mix it up inside and outside. That’s why I say, the perfect complement to Wemby at the pf position is a low cost, do-it-all garbage man.
    Give Bassey another shot now that Wemby is playing Center. I think he has the potential to be just that guy.

Thread Information