Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have climbed to a top-5 defense with a 111.1 DRTG since Victor Wembanyama started playing center.

They were ranked dead last before, with a 119.5 defensive rating.

Statistical comparison: Left (PF) Right (playing at C) 18.9 PTS -> 19.8 PTS

2.5 AST -> 3.5 AST

9.7 REB -> 16.5 REB

2.6 BLK -> 4.3 BLK

43.2 FG% -> 44.9 FG%

26.5 3P% -> 35.3 3P%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's the source btw

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems like he is a bigger improvement on Collins than Sochan is a downgrade from Wemby at PF. That's a credit to Jeremy stepping it up at his natural position more than it's a diss to Wemby, since he's obviously flourishing so far at C. I'd say to wait for him to go up against Jokic to see if he can play the position full time, but he's already done so and looks fine. He bothered Nikola quite a bit and didn't seem too beat up from the experience. I guess we'll see against Embiid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems like he is a bigger improvement on Collins than Sochan is a downgrade from Wemby at PF. That's a credit to Jeremy stepping it up at his natural position more than it's a diss to Wemby, since he's obviously flourishing so far at C. I'd say to wait for him to go up against Jokic to see if he can play the position full time, but he's already done so and looks fine. He bothered Nikola quite a bit and didn't seem too beat up from the experience. I guess we'll see against Embiid.
    synergy. If Sochan starts at the 4, that means we get either Tre or Branham starting. That’s a huge improvement over PG Sochan.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since Zach Collins stopped being the starting center.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Since Zach Collins stopped being the starting center.
    Since Zach Collins stopped being a starter...period. The guy ing sucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pretty crazy that giving up 111 points makes you a top 5 defense. Welcome to the new NBA. I think the Houston game is kinda manipulating those stats quite a bit though. Would be great to see a good defensive Spurs team. It's been a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kinda hate a take like this. I imagine this is similar to the dumb group-think going on in the front office. People act like every team has a beast of a center. Beast of a center is like Embidf.... and that's it! Yes someone who is focused on just being physical with him can be a problem in the regular season but as far as the centers in this league is largely nonexistent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kinda hate a take like this. I imagine this is similar to the dumb group-think going on in the front office. People act like every team has a beast of a center. Beast of a center is like Embidf.... and that's it! Yes someone who is focused on just being physical with him can be a problem in the regular season but as far as the centers in this league is largely nonexistent.
    Hate the take if you want, but Wemby struggling to guard physical centers in a single game might suggests a longer-term issue of how his body will hold up against more games, even if the individual games aren't as bad. We're still waiting and seeing if he's going to start to decline under the greater toll he's under. Like he's getting more rebounds and blocks and all that, but that means he's fighting with guys and contesting drives more often than before. For a guy who already has fatigue concerns, it's an important question. So yeah if Jokic came in and gassed Wemby, it'd be a concern. Not every team has a guy who can beat Wemby one-on-one, but most teams have a least one guy who can pound on him. That's not nearly as easy to do to PFs, who usually have the weakside help responsibility or defend on the perimeter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hate the take if you want, but Wemby struggling to guard physical centers in a single game might suggests a longer-term issue of how his body will hold up against more games, even if the individual games aren't as bad. We're still waiting and seeing if he's going to start to decline under the greater toll he's under. Like he's getting more rebounds and blocks and all that, but that means he's fighting with guys and contesting drives more often than before. For a guy who already has fatigue concerns, it's an important question. So yeah if Jokic came in and gassed Wemby, it'd be a concern. Not every team has a guy who can beat Wemby one-on-one, but most teams have a least one guy who can pound on him. That's not nearly as easy to do to PFs, who usually have the weakside help responsibility or defend on the perimeter.
    Concur. And we still don't have any certified muscle next to Wemby for support.
    Timmy Dunks laboring alongside Bonbon and Mike Finley. Shudders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins is a decent backup center for this team. Plays to his strengths and he gets to get more time vs 2nd stringers. Much more in line with his talent level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Victor struggles less with physical bigs than he does with small guys because they get low and root him out and he doesn't get the whistle. Someone was fronting him in the first Laker game the other day and he couldn't get position. His teammates absolutely don't understand how to make an entry pass, so they can just wear him out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins is a decent backup center for this team. Plays to his strengths and he gets to get more time vs 2nd stringers. Much more in line with his talent level.
    He is terrific as a backup. He can play all three front line positions against second teams. AD ing wore him out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Embiid and Joker are on another level, but he’s looked good against post dominant bigs like AD, Vuc, and Joker himself. That’s encouraging.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As expected, with Collins out of the starting lineup.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least they have a chance to function with this rotation and graduate from historically to run of the mill bad.

He is terrific as a backup. He can play all three front line positions against second teams. AD ing wore him out.
    Collins can only play C.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least they have a chance to function with this rotation and graduate from historically to run of the mill bad.

Collins can only play C.
    Collins can barely play center. He isn't appreciably worse at the three or four.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins can barely play center. He isn't appreciably worse at the three or four.
    He's never played SF and only played some nominal PF years ago because the Trail Blazers lacked financial flexibility and wanted him to have a bigger role than exclusively backing up Nurkic.

This isn't the 90s. In today's game, despite certain physical limitations for it, he's a C by default.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SF Collins? Are we talking about the wrong Collins again?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better stats are connected with power ranking Of oponents

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not surprised. It is Wemby’s natural position. I never doubted Pop would eventually get Wemby back playing C, and was just giving Wemby time at SF/PF to get him NBA stronger to avoid getting pounded in the paint early in the season. But Wemby has proven he is much tougher than anyone has thought, and can actually man the paint. I think Pop also wants to help Wemby get his stats up there to have a better chance at ROTY, especially after Chet won the 1st month. I’m sure Wemby will not admit, but it’s part of his legacy to win it and Pop will oblige to help the Spurs franchise player get it.
    Last edited by John B; 12-17-2023 at 12:30 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Collins. But, yeah...true big centers own him. Not because Collins ain't strong...he just doesn't know how to use his strength. He goes for ball fakes like a Jr. High baller.

He's a perfect backup center or even a PF alongside Wemby. Got great touch, good court vision. Needs to work on D. I also thought BASSEY would have made a good "muscle" guy alongside Wemby.

There's been a lot of games Collins has been the best player on the court. Especially when they use him as a playmaker in the top of the key center position.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sample size is small, but enough for anyone with eyes to see that Wemby should play C in every game.
    Matched up well against Jokic and AD, meaning that he can play C against anyone in the league.

Collins can be the backup, but nothing more.

Spurs should look for a PF that compliments Wemby well.
    There ae rumors about Markkanen not being untouchable.
    Would be a perfect combo, if you ask me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The perfect PF next to Wemby is a supercharged version of Cedi Osman, tbh. The eventual championship team that Wemby will be on wont have a star at every starter position. There needs to be a garbage man/ all around player that wont get many shots but will do everything else. Since it’s easier to find a star at the other positions, it makes sense to not invest too much in the PF position with their draft picks or cap space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The perfect PF next to Wemby is a supercharged version of Cedi Osman, tbh. The eventual championship team that Wemby will be on wont have a star at every starter position. There needs to be a garbage man/ all around player that wont get many shots but will do everything else. Since it’s easier to find a star at the other positions, it makes sense to not invest too much in the PF position with their draft picks or cap space.
    Agree, sounds like OG maybe?

Thread Information