Barlow bringing the I just did a line of coke energy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan shouldn’t have gotten a tech on that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the reporters still gonna interview Victor and ask him the same questions even when he doesn't play?

Reporter: Why is your team still bad?

Victor: I mean...we're getting better I think. I mean...we just have to take the right steps.

Reporter: <unintelligible noises>

Victor: I mean, yeah. I don't know, man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan shouldn’t have gotten tech on that
    He was just holding his hands in the air while Portis held him and walked him into the crowd. Apparently that is 'illegal contact' too.

NBA refs are the worst.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was just holding his hands in the air while Portis held him and walked him into the crowd. Apparently that is 'illegal contact' too.

NBA refs are the worst.
    Soft. Now Collins mixing it up with Portis.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now losing by less than 20 is respectable for this bunch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just cant with Keldon's defense anymore.

Giannis is double teamed and he helps off Dame. WTF?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Robin 3 had way better form than I expected

That first quarter was absolutely terrible but after that, they played ok. Not the stinkiest turd in commode.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We play the Bucks again on Wemby's birthday, so hopefully he'll be able to play then.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slow...the...F...down!
    This is an important point. Good teams outscore their opponents on a per-possession basis, so in a vacuum a good team should push the pace as much as possible. Of course there are many mitigating factors like player age and conditioning, but in the absence of those considerations the better a team is, the faster they should want to play.

The inverse is true for bad teams: they should want to play as slowly as possible to minimize the total number of possessions in the game so that the absolute margin is likely to be closer, making an upset somewhat more likely. This works better in football, but it still has a place in basketball.

But that only applies if a bad team actually wants to win. One possible component of a tank job is to have a bad team play really fast, which increases the chance that they lose. It can be dressed up as "fast exciting basketball with young players!" but the math doesn't lie.

Notice where the Spurs are in pace: #3 in the league, and #2 last season. #2 is Washington. If every team was trying its hardest to win there should be a positive correlation between per-possession scoring margin and pace, but the (linear) correlation is actually negative due to tanking teams pushing the pace to maximize their chances of losing.

I checked this season's numbers and the correlation between SRS and Pace is -0.236, while last year's was -0.32.

Maybe there would be something of a quadratic relationship, where the best and worst teams play faster than average, but I haven't dug that deep.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soft. Now Collins mixing it up with Portis.
    That was retaliation by Collins and quite satisfying

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is an important point. Good teams outscore their opponents on a per-possession basis, so in a vacuum a good team should push the pace as much as possible. Of course there are many mitigating factors like player age and conditioning, but in the absence of those considerations the better a team is, the faster they should want to play.

The inverse is true for bad teams: they should want to play as slowly as possible to minimize the total number of possessions in the game so that the absolute margin is likely to be closer, making an upset somewhat more likely. This works better in football, but it still has a place in basketball.

But that only applies if a bad team actually wants to win. One possible component of a tank job is to have a bad team play really fast, which increases the chance that they lose. It can be dressed up as "fast exciting basketball with young players!" but the math doesn't lie.

Notice where the Spurs are in pace: #3 in the league, and #2 last season. #2 is Washington. If every team was trying its hardest to win there should be a positive correlation between per-possession scoring margin and pace, but the (linear) correlation is actually negative due to tanking teams pushing the pace to maximize their chances of losing.

I checked this season's numbers and the correlation between SRS and Pace is -0.236, while last year's was -0.32.

Maybe there would be something of a quadratic relationship, where the best and worst teams play faster than average, but I haven't dug that deep.
    Make senses kind of interesting basically from a football analogy I seen people look at total point scored but a better metric for a football team on how good the offense is points per drive is a better statistic and has proven out but the talking heads ignore that kind of data.

Make sense the efficiency at which you score is a better tracking for teams that tend to win. I find it kind of interesting on these type of numbers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Robin 3 had way better form than I expected

That first quarter was absolutely terrible but after that, they played ok. Not the stinkiest turd in commode.
    I appreciate the optimistic viewpoint, bit I simply strongly disagree. It stunk plenty bad. They gave up 132 pts and I counted at least 10 wide open 3 pointers that didn’t drop for them. That puts them in the 140s if even 3 of those 10 go down. Yet again we were the ones that got bent over and allowed a season high to an opposing player. They easily could have hit 150 tonight. Our defense was beyond pathetic, again. And we lost by nearly 20 or whatever.

There are no, well we were extremely bad in the 1st quarter but managed to only give up 94 points the remaining 3 quarters.

This was supposed to be the year we showed improveddefensively. In fact we're worse when Wemby isn't on the floor now more than 1/4 into the season.

There is no moral victory here, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To expound on my post above.

Spurs have the second worst point differential in the league, only 0.3 points above a team with a 24 game losing stretch yet we are giving up more points per game than they are. We have the worst Defense based on PPG in the Western Conference and tied for 3rd worst in the NBA.

Tonight's Defensive showing comes on the heels of a game where we gave up 146 points to a mid team by surrendering a franchise best 22 made 3pters to the Pelicans. Night in and Night out, it's just humiliation of inep ude and incompetence.

There's a reason why I consistently harp on our Defensive woes and it's because we will never be a good basketball team again jntil we stop being a turnstile Defensive group.

And a big reason we are that way currently is because our best players simply do not prioritize it, aside from Wemby.

I see strong effort from Jones, Mamu, Cedi, Barlow, and occasion Sochan among active players (in additionto Wrmby of course). You simply will never have a winning franchise with that being your defensive anchor when only 1 maybe 2 are starters and one is simply too small to actually stop people effectively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this is truly a player-development, "let's-see-what-we-have" type of year, then all of these mofos outside of Wemby fail

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, so another tank. But can we trust the Spurs to take the best talent in the draft available at 1-5, rather than a player who was supposed to go like 20-25? Not so sure.
    They’ll probably find a way to draft some dude who can’t shoot or defend. But he’s a nice guy and great teammate. Priorities.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’ll probably find a way to draft some dude who can’t shoot or defend. But he’s a nice guy and great teammate. Priorities.
    They no longer can rest on their laurels, which is what they've been doing to a great extent, if they want to start fielding out a winning team around our pick and or picks. Oh, and Pop is eventually going to have to start coaching too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this is truly a player-development, "let's-see-what-we-have" type of year, then all of these mofos outside of Wemby fail
    Nah, really - get rid of everyone. If literally no one but Wemby is here in 3 years (and we're contending, obv), I'd actually be happy.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are the Spurs not playing with their traditional black uniforms and playing with Brown and Orange or Aqua at times?

Thread Information