Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    How bout them Rangers?
    Still so surreal I rewatch Seager’s Game 1 homer at least once a week tbh

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    He made President. That's it & that's all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    again...read the 14th amendment sec 3 -
    no mention of needing a conviction...

The Office of the Presidency of the United States....

even on FOX lying liars channel they refer to the president as holding the office of the presidency...

sorry tat kunt - your treasonous kunt hero traitor is going down

bwahahahahahahahaha!

cry moar got!
    You're stupid as bro and that Colorado SC is just pulling out of their asses redefining our laws to fit their ideology. Oh and you obviously hate the gays by the words you choose to share here. Great to know you're so tolerant you bigot loser.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that gay boy weebo crying again?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ruling is self-staying. Did nobody actually read it? Trump will appeal, the deadline to certify the ballot will pass, and Trump will appear on the primary ballot. The ruling is designed to moot itself.

The CO justices never intended for this ruling to be decided on the merits. Wishcasting aside, a state Supreme Court cannot simply declare somebody guilty of a crime without due process or a trial by jury in order to deprive them of the right to run for political office. It would fail on the merits. But the merits are irrelevant.

They’re daring the SC to strike down a moot case. If they don’t strike it down, then various Democratic secretaries of state will interpret it as a finding of fact implicitly accepted by the Supreme Court in order to leave Trump off the November ballot. The legal challenges would commence then. Chaos would ensue. There’s a puncher’s chance Trump could end up left off the ballot in Pennsylvania or Wisconsin, for example, with Republican voters forced to write him in.

This is fourth dimensional chess Harvard Law stuff. Manipulate the process and the loopholes in the law to gain and maintain power.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ruling is self-staying. Did nobody actually read it? Trump will appeal, the deadline to certify the ballot will pass, and Trump will appear on the primary ballot. The ruling is designed to moot itself.

The CO justices never intended for this ruling to be decided on the merits. Wishcasting aside, a state Supreme Court cannot simply declare somebody guilty of a crime without due process or a trial by jury in order to deprive them of the right to run for political office. It would fail on the merits. But the merits are irrelevant.

They’re daring the SC to strike down a moot case. If they don’t strike it down, then various Democratic secretaries of state will interpret it as a finding of fact implicitly accepted by the Supreme Court in order to leave Trump off the November ballot. The legal challenges would commence then. Chaos would ensue. There’s a puncher’s chance Trump could end up left off the ballot in Pennsylvania or Wisconsin, for example, with Republican voters forced to write him in.

This is fourth dimensional chess Harvard Law stuff. Manipulate the process and the loopholes in the law to gain and maintain power.
    Politics aside it does seem a crucial point of fact in determining fitness.

You call it trickery but it answers an important question.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Stout; the voice of reason & moderation in troubled times.

Stout

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Lumps, the voice of a half/ass.

Lumps

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If it were meant to answer an important question then the CO Supreme Court would have forced the USSC to stay it rather than doing so themselves.

I think the question is simple. Congress has defined what insurrection is in 18 USC 2383 and includes in its penalties loss of eligibility for federal office, as per the 14th Amendment. If Trump were convicted of insurrection, all 50 states would be obligated to leave him off the ballot. It’s not up to a state court to determine.

Critical theory teaches that any halfway competent jurist can concoct a ruling that aligns with their political preferences, and in fact have done so throughout American history. High-minded “objective” rulings on the merits are naive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it were meant to answer an important question then the CO Supreme Court would have forced the USSC to stay it rather than doing so themselves.

I think the question is simple. Congress has defined what insurrection is in 18 USC 2383 and includes in its penalties loss of eligibility for federal office, as per the 14th Amendment. If Trump were convicted of insurrection, all 50 states would be obligated to leave him off the ballot. It’s not up to a state court to determine.

Critical theory teaches that any halfway competent jurist can concoct a ruling that aligns with their political preferences, and in fact have done so throughout American history. High-minded “objective” rulings on the merits are naive.
    You not having an answer to a question doesn't prove anything.

In essence they are asking for the SCOTUS to opine before acting. Your characterization is gratuitous.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

In essence they are asking for the SCOTUS to opine before acting. Your characterization is gratuitous.
    Bend over. I'll show ya in' gratuitous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I’ve answered the question twice so far. It’s a pretty straightforward question of law, but if you think you’re trying to stop the second coming of Hitler, do you just throw up your hands and say, “Whaddya gonna do, the law tied my hands” or are you going to get creative? We’re long since through the looking glass on the rule of law anyway.

Yeah, if it fails, Trump and his acolytes will just declare BLM an insurrection and any politician who supported it ineligible for office, but wasn’t he going to do that anyway?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I’ve answered the question twice so far. It’s a pretty straightforward question of law, but if you think you’re trying to stop the second coming of Hitler, do you just throw up your hands and say, “Whaddya gonna do, the law tied my hands” or are you going to get creative? We’re long since through the looking glass on the rule of law anyway.

Yeah, if it fails, Trump and his acolytes will just declare BLM an insurrection and any politician who supported it ineligible for office, but wasn’t he going to do that anyway?
    Look at Stout...like an avenging angel with news from on high.

It's the finest lodgment since I returned to fore months ago.

Stout

Like Harry S. in '45..."Again..."

Stout

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

And all it took was Trump walking in off the street in New York and making President. Voila!

DAY ONE? Madonna threatened to blow up the White House with him, his wife and their child in there.
    LAST DAY? General Milley threatened to shoot him to death.

"rule of law" indeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You said you couldn't see any other way than a false dichotomy. That is what I was getting at you not knowing any other answer to your presumptive question.

At the end of the day your characterization as to intent of what is really a disparate and loosely related group makes no sense.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

no one is asking anyone to declare anyone guilty of a crime…

this is not a punitive case- no one will be found guilty or not guilty of any crime

this is merely a case based on the cons ution 14th ammendment

no different thanif it was a 21 yr old trying to run for president

the scotus- because they are strict originalists would surely rule that a 21 year old is ineligble to be on the presidential ballot due to the strict interpretation reading of the 14th amendment

simple case for any LEGIT court

not a simple case for a corrupt rt wing bought and paid for by billionaires- scotus

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And all it took was Trump walking in off the street in New York and making President. Voila!

DAY ONE? Madonna threatened to blow up the White House with him, his wife and their child in there.
    LAST DAY? General Milley threatened to shoot him to death.

"rule of law" indeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Womp womp

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No U

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    That’s fine, we’ll do this while you’re kicking and screaming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There's a parallel clause in section 3, ..."or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof." Historically, this would seem to require a presidential proclamation under the Insurrection Act, but in this case, it was the president and his followers who were trying to obstruct the execution of US law. The 14th Amendment does not seem to have anticipated the US president leading or abetting a revolt against the US.

Some commentators, like Judge Luttig, argue that the 14th amendment is self-executing, but this seems tenuous under the meaning of section 5, which gives enforcement to Congress.

Exactly what Trump did to try to stay in power. If there's no legal impediment short of conviction for insurrection to prevent presidential putchists from running for office, politics must either fill the gap or abstain from the controversy. Congress failed to convict in two impeachments, so it falls to the states and the courts to sort it out, or not. Like it or not, the judiciary is political and always has been -- it's literally a co-sovereign in the US. And like you said, has engaged in political ad hoc-ery throughout our history, for better and for worse.

Obviously, much mischief lies in that direction, but excluding a sadistic, authoritarian putchist like Trump from power on an ad hoc basis might be worth it. This of course if a pragmatic argument, not a legal or cons utional one.

For myself, I'd like to see him stand for election and lose again. The danger is that he wins and shrugs off legal responsibility for what he has already done, and worse.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 12-22-2023 at 10:49 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn't like Trump was going to win Colorado anyway.

Thread Information