My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s9r...l=RyanVanDusen

It's 1989. David Robinson, fresh out of his military obligation, has just joined the San Antonio Spurs.

His impact is felt immediately.

In his debut, he records a double double, including some amazing finishes at the rim. Above are highlights of this game vs LA.

Moving forward over 3 decades, we encounter our current moment: the Wemby era.

It was just a few games ago we broke out of a franchise record losing streak against LA.

One can't help but compare the types of looks DRob enjoyed as this highlight reel reveals versus today's iteration surrounding Wemby.

Keep in mind, this is David Robinson's very first game as a pro.

Anyone can see that DRob was clearly being hit a lot more often around the basket with quick passes, and even had an old Mo Cheeks try to hit him with the lob way out from beyond the 3 point line. Have we seen anything like this with Wemby this season?

One doesn't compare eras without acknowledging the difference in athleticism and the rules of the games, but seriously ... it's clear that David Robinson was already the man on this team. He was getting multiple plays called for him, against the Magic Johnson-led Lakers, no less. And in crunch time. They were deferring.

Where has this been for Wemby? It's hard to look at even an old, moldy highlight reel of our former #1 picks and not feel like Wemby is getting shafted.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how old is Drob on his debut?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how old is Drob on his debut?
    24. Hence why I focused less on his game - which obviously is more polished - and more on how the other players responded to his presence. Wemby won't become that polished unless he gets the ball in his spots like DRob does here, in his first game with pros, no less.

I think this is where your rhetorical question was leading - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Want to also follow up that we already have memes going around with how LeBron's teammates felt when he arrived. I feel this, while less "meme-y", is more relevant for our team. What if that's how DRob would have been treated? Let's not forget he shot 14 FTs in this game as well, indicating he got the ball in good position a lot of times. Some of that surely is attributable to his polish as a 24 year old rookie, but surely a lot of it also is gameplan - 50 being looked for.

Thread Information