Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020/...video-analysis

NBA projection
    Strengths

Diakite was the linchpin of a couple of elite college defenses in Charlottesville the past two seasons, using his 7-foot-3 wingspan to affect shots and alter trajectories. Let me be more specific, though. He doesn’t just block shots, he generally erases them with an exclamation point. It’s no rare occurrence to see a shot swatted into the third row of the crowd when Diakite is defending the paint. Below, however, is one of the tamer rejections he recorded.

Displaying incredible activity at all times, Diakite can defend all over the court — especially around the perimeter — with impressive range. Tony Bennett’s scheme calls for aggressive trapping near the sideline and packing the paint when possible. This means Diakite has free rein to roam around and sniff out offensive players in trouble, forcing them to pick up their dribble. Even when he’s left on an island against a smaller guy, though, he can still harass them to the point of tossing up ugly shots.

But Diakite doesn’t just move around haphazardly, rather he uses his extremely high defensive IQ to snuff out dangerous situations to cause chaos for opponents. Pick-and-roll ball handlers shouldn’t be surprised when they turn the corner and see a hard Diakite hedge as the help defender on screens.

Additionally, he became more comfortable defending without fouling over time, cutting his foul rate every season at Virginia. He went from above 5 fouls per 36 minutes in each of his first two seasons to 3.5 and then 2.2 in his last two seasons respectively as his on court smarts and positioning improved.

Diakite finishes at the rim well — in transition and in the halfcourt game — at 1.19 PPP (points per possession) per Synergy. He runs the court enthusiastically and dives down the lane for easy buckets when space opens up. He is a willing screener, despite his thin frame, and generally handles contact well on the defensive end.

One layer Diakite added to his game at Virginia was catching-and-shooting, especially from behind the arc. He began to really flash some ability to shoot as a senior, taking almost 2 threes per game and knocking them down at a 36.4% rate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That 2019 UVa team he was a part of had a great story, after losing in the first round in 2018 (the year Hunter was injured). Very 2014 Spurs-esc in that sense.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The next Whiteside tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he’s French,it might be a solid for Victor’s agent, who has always worked well with SA.
    He’s from Guinea, but probably speaks French

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spiritual successor to Gorgui Dieng on the roster imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Potential 3 and D guy. Start him and Wesley asap. Let’s get this Defensive train rolling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought I saw him on the bench tonight… he looks really mature at 26 yrs old

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

they did the same thing tonight

when is giannis’ contract up? Lmaoo

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diakite might be one of those uber locker room glue guys that everyone just loves. I doubt he gets any meaningful minutes, even with as bad as the Spurs are, but if he can lift the players' spirits as one of their own, as opposed to that coming from someone on the coaching staff, hopefully it at least helps ease the pain of all the losing.

Thread Information