Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJM coming back would be such a, dare I say a term from my days in the merchant marines, CIA POP move!

Defense gets better, offense couldn't be much worse, so better. Moving Tre to the bench with Keldon (provided we keep him), Collins, Branham and whoever improves the bench and the starting lineup. If McDermott or Osman and picks work, that would be amazing.

My main questions are:

How would DJM and Wemby work together, personality-wise?

What would Atlanta want?
    They'd work fine together. The 'what would ATL want' is the real question here... we don't really know...some folks think they need a player back to save face somewhat... their best play would be getting as much draft capital and tanking the rest of this season in my opinion....but we don't know how their FO sees it..

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs need to get out of that already awful contract they gave Zach Collins. Give up a couple round picks to include him in a trade package if you have to.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs need to get out of that already awful contract they gave Zach Collins. Give up a couple round picks to include him in a trade package if you have to.
    He's not trade eligible until after the season.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hypothetically speaking, how would you guys feel if we went after these two? Obviously without using our pick this year, but this team looks GOOD imo-

Go after Mikal Bridges and DJM-

DJM
    Vassell
    Bridges
    Sohan
    Wemby

That looks like a top 4 team next year-

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hypothetically speaking, how would you guys feel if we went after these two? Obviously without using our pick this year, but this team looks GOOD imo-

DJM
    Vassell
    Bridges
    Sohan
    Wemby

That would be a pretty strong SL. It would probably take just about all of our draft capital to get it done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supposedly, the ATL owner is cheap, and wants out of DJ’s contract completely. That would mean just ending contracts like Cedi, Devonte, or Doug. If that’s the case, then the price in picks would be lower, since we’re essentially cleaning their cap sheet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supposedly, the ATL owner is cheap, and wants out of DJ’s contract completely. That would mean just ending contracts like Cedi, Devonte, or Doug. If that’s the case, then the price in picks would be lower, since we’re essentially cleaning their cap sheet.
    nah, that would probably mean the price of picks would be higher

unlike the raptors who didnt care as much about draft capital for OG, and wanted the value to be returned to them in the form of players, the hawks may not want the value back in the form of players, and instead basically want it all in the form of draft capital, similar to how we traded DJM in the first place.

its not like dejounte is a bad contract that is a burden to take on

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we could get DJM back for literal scraps, then Brian Wright would deserve a massive bonus. Sadly, I doubt this is really the case and I think spurraider21 is right in his interpretation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nah, that would probably mean the price of picks would be higher

unlike the raptors who didnt care as much about draft capital for OG, and wanted the value to be returned to them in the form of players, the hawks may not want the value back in the form of players, and instead basically want it all in the form of draft capital, similar to how we traded DJM in the first place.

its not like dejounte is a bad contract that is a burden to take on
    We traded DJ for contracts and picks. It’s pretty well acknowledged that his stock has dropped, so contracts and fewer picks. You missed the part about the cheap owner, and cleaning their cap sheet. There is a cost to them for that service. If they don’t like it, they can pound sand, and we’ll keep our picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We traded DJ for contracts and picks. It’s pretty well acknowledged that his stock has dropped, so contracts and fewer picks. You missed the part about the cheap owner, and cleaning their cap sheet. There is a cost to them for that service. If they don’t like it, they can pound sand, and we’ll keep our picks.
    you say " contracts" but it was just an expiring Gallo. the spurs didnt want players back for dejounte. they wanted draft capital. same with what we believe the hawks want now, which is the draft capital, and then expiring stuff just for salary matching purposes to create a legal trade (or in graham, a de facto expiring)

so both clubs just wanted draft capital for dejounte

nobody here disagrees that ATL overpaid for him, and nobody here thinks that the spurs should send back the ATL 2025 + 2027, undo the swap, and give them a fake/protected first.

regardless, lets say Dejounte's value is A. and you can send value back in a trade by either including players (B) or draft capital (C). the idea would be, by some combination, A = B + C

if the hawks are saying they arent interested in receiving B, then your equation is basically rewritten to be A = C. there is no "B" that you could then use to justify giving a lower "C" value. what we think "A" is actually worth is kinda separate from this one point though... that the hawks just wanting picks and not players, means they want a substantial amount of value in picks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you say " contracts" but it was just an expiring Gallo. the spurs didnt want players back for dejounte. they wanted draft capital. same with what we believe the hawks want now, which is the draft capital, and then expiring stuff just for salary matching purposes to create a legal trade (or in graham, a de facto expiring)

so both clubs just wanted draft capital for dejounte

nobody here disagrees that ATL overpaid for him, and nobody here thinks that the spurs should send back the ATL 2025 + 2027, undo the swap, and give them a fake/protected first.

regardless, lets say Dejounte's value is A. and you can send value back in a trade by either including players (B) or draft capital (C). the idea would be, by some combination, A = B + C

if the hawks are saying they arent interested in receiving B, then your equation is basically rewritten to be A = C. there is no "B" that you could then use to justify giving a lower "C" value. what we think "A" is actually worth is kinda separate from this one point though... that the hawks just wanting picks and not players, means they want a substantial amount of value in picks
    Are we sure they want picks? I’m not including what they sent over to us initially because they obviously want those. Those have to be off the table. Assuming so, draft capital and the loss of DJM is a clear signal they’re tanking in at least one season where someone else owns their picks. Assumi n they move off of DJM, which by all indications they are, they should value players more than draft capital.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we sure they want picks? I’m not including what they sent over to us initially because they obviously want those. Those have to be off the table. Assuming so, draft capital and the loss of DJM is a clear signal they’re tanking in at least one season where someone else owns their picks. Assumi n they move off of DJM, which by all indications they are, they should value players more than draft capital.
    i dont know for certain that they want players back. its an assumption im making given their owner is cheap and doesnt want to pay luxury tax, as evidenced by the john collins dump. they dont really have a roster thats a player away. trae is still 25. they might want to take a step back if their only other pieces they really like are very young guys like jalen johnson and okongwu, rather than saddle into other long term contracts

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs are trading 2024 picks, they should aim for players like J Giddley or Maxey at least. D Murray is not an All Star level player but is paid like an All Star player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs are trading 2024 picks, they should aim for players like J Giddley or Maxey at least. D Murray is not an All Star level player but is paid like an All Star player.
    DJ’s contract is good value in this new cap environment. Just wait til you see what OG, a super overrated player in my view, will get this summer. Folks, we are not that far off from a max contract with a last year that will approach 100M. Shoot the Spurs may be the first to pay it with Wemby!

I think the better way to look at it is salary as a percentage of total roster cost.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ’s contract is good value in this new cap environment. Just wait til you see what OG, a super overrated player in my view, will get this summer. Folks, we are not that far off from a max contract with a last year that will approach 100M. Shoot the Spurs may be the first to pay it with Wemby!

I think the better way to look at it is salary as a percentage of total roster cost.
    Yup, DJ is on a very reasonable contract for what he brings. If the price is reasonable we should bring him back. It's not our only option out there if the bidding gets to high though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DJM
    Vassell
    Bridges
    Sohan
    Wemby

If you’re gonna play Sochan at the 4 (I think they should), then you need shooting at the 3. I would rather draft Rasicher or Matas, insert him at the 3 instead, and hold all the assets it would take to get Bridges (who I think is overrated).

I think that teams would make the playoffs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever we do, I hope we don't involve Barlow in any trades. Dude is going to be a nice, impactful piece to this team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since Trae has been mentioned in an article as wanting to play with Wemby (although its a highly dubious article), lets ask the question: What would you give for him, if anything?

Also, let's do the same for Bridges (Brooklyn)...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae:

Atlanta- Tor pick, Spurs 25 and 27, chicago pick + doug + graham +KJ+Malaki

Spurs- Trae + Patty

Or

Brooklyn- doug + graham + Toronto pick + Spurs 25 and 27 picks

I'd rather go for Bridges

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Bridges a lot. I'd give up anyone on the roster not named Wemby, but if we gave the Nets Vassell, it would be a lesser first round pick and any other picks would be second rounders. I don't see him as way better than Vassell.

I have mixed feelings about Trae, but he'd probably be worth a player and two first round picks. One if not both of those picks would probably have to be Hawk pics. He's a nice shooter, but I'm just not convinced he can have the Curry effect or that he is the point guard to pair with Wemby. I think the Spurs are hoping for a point guard that may not be able to score like Trae, but can defend. Like a younger Holiday. I think they want to be able to switch at every position on defense. I think that's why they tried Sochan at point guard...he's switchable to any big, which makes him potential as a pick and roll defender. That didn't work out, but it probably should have been experimented with in the G-League, though maybe Sochan would have been pissed to go there this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Bridges a lot. I'd give up anyone on the roster not named Wemby, but if we gave the Nets Vassell, it would be a lesser first round pick and any other picks would be second rounders. I don't see him as way better than Vassell.

I have mixed feelings about Trae, but he'd probably be worth a player and two first round picks. One if not both of those picks would probably have to be Hawk pics. He's a nice shooter, but I'm just not convinced he can have the Curry effect or that he is the point guard to pair with Wemby. I think the Spurs are hoping for a point guard that may not be able to score like Trae, but can defend. Like a younger Holiday. I think they want to be able to switch at every position on defense. I think that's why they tried Sochan at point guard...he's switchable to any big, which makes him potential as a pick and roll defender. That didn't work out, but it probably should have been experimented with in the G-League, though maybe Sochan would have been pissed to go there this year.
    I agree with you about the Spurs wanting a different, more defensive, PG than what Trae is. There's not many of that in the draft... Castle is one though.

I'm to light on my Bridges package. Probably have to add either Keldon or one more pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not that I think Brooklyn is selling Bridges -- they're not -- but he's going to be 28 this summer. Why trade assets for a player who will be done by the time Wembanyama is ready to truly start in on contending? Figure in year four with him on the Spurs could really be making noise and Bridges will be 32.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with you about the Spurs wanting a different, more defensive, PG than what Trae is. There's not many of that in the draft... Castle is one though.

I'm to light on my Bridges package. Probably have to add either Keldon or one more pick.
    Trae solves the offensive problem and we could take a shot at a few long term PG’s through the draft and be fine. But we would surely have to give up Vassell on a Trae deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the idea of Trae and Wemby together, but the reason ATL has failed to launch is Trae himself. Period. He wants to be a heliocentric hub ala Rockets Harden or current Luka, but thats not the way the Spurs want to play with Wemby at the focal point. Wembs is just too talented to be a Capella clone. There would have to be a deep change in philosophy in san antonio, or buy in for Trae to play differently.

Thread Information