San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre Injured, Now Wesley Gets His Chance
    You know it and I know it... Branham is going to start

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake locked up Tyrese most of the game. Great progress!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    loving his d....But he needs to develop some type of offense....Last thing we need is
    another guard who cant shoot

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake has improved nicely but it does seem that we’re just hoping that one day he becomes as good as Tre and we’re a ways away from that. As mentioned he’s gonna have to find some offensive snap to be really worthwhile.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake has improved nicely but it does seem that we’re just hoping that one day he becomes as good as Tre and we’re a ways away from that. As mentioned he’s gonna have to find some offensive snap to be really worthwhile.
    If Blake somehow developed Tre's awareness and passing skills with his frame, athleticism, and POA defense we would never have to worry about the PG position again. We can only hope!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake's development has been what you would hope a kid as young as Blake and in his second year would be doing.

Really has come a long way and has an insane compe ive fire and desire to improve. The improvement from last year is pretty drastic in my eyes.

Literally the complete opposite of Branham. If Branham had 1/10 of the desire as Blake he might actually be good. I hope he is sent to Austin with the team returning to San Antonio now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake's development has been what you would hope a kid as young as Blake and in his second year would be doing.

Really has come a long way and has an insane compe ive fire and desire to improve. The improvement from last year is pretty drastic in my eyes.

Literally the complete opposite of Branham. If Branham had 1/10 of the desire as Blake he might actually be good. I hope he is sent to Austin with the team returning to San Antonio now.
    Yeah the main thing I like is his confidence and his tenacity, you can't teach those things, his game will come around imo. I'm excited for him. He's cognizant of that fact that in order to get on the court at this point in his career he needs to bust his ass on defense and that is what he is doing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he plays hard on defense, but when he gets into the paint all he usually does is pass the ball back out. He's not even trying to finish inside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Blake somehow developed Tre's awareness and passing skills with his frame, athleticism, and POA defense we would never have to worry about the PG position again. We can only hope!
    Blake doesn't have natural PG skills like Tre does. Best we can hope for is working as a Parker type, circulating with the ball and moving the defense around while memorizing where players are. That can be good enough.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say Blake's shooting from the outside is already better than Jones, though not saying it's great necessarily at all. In college. I got the sense he was more of a shooting guard but yet did really well in pick and roll situations as the lead ball handler which led to some of his appeal as a freshman for the NBA draft. I don't know, I think his inability to finish was so unexpectedly severe that it affected his whole mindset to the game. At least he's adjusting, probably over adjusting at this point, and as he feels better driving and kicking, he'll be able to figure out when to actually take it to the rim when he has an actual opening, or maybe like Parker develop a floater. I'm happy with that.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake's defense is starting to have a really noticeable effect from game to game. He's been making the few shots he's taken in the past couple of appearances.

I am intrigued.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he can improve his 3-point shot he'd become a 3-and-D guard and could try to build from there

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has shown the ability to move the defense. That is ALOT.

Now, he's got to show that he will actually shoot and complete the field goal once he has taken the pick and gotten past his man, because it is pointless if defenses learn to just ignore him, but I see potential for him to be consistently bring good spark.

I think offense is a confidence and speed-of-the-game thing for him. He is making his layups now, at least lmao. He might get better.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad Chip is gone, Wesley needs the teardrop floater game.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he can improve his 3-point shot he'd become a 3-and-D guard and could try to build from there
    They will develop him as a PG for as long as they can before shifting him to a 3&D wing. Point guards who can get to the hoop at will are very hard to find. Plus the defense is already there. Next big step for Wesley is hitting the three ball.

It amazing how far he has come in the six months. Showed no improvement in summer league or preseason and now he's finishing at the rim and playing fantastic defense.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think becoming a better finisher at the rim is more important for Wesley than improving his three point shot. He can get to the rim seemingly at will, and layups are even more efficient than threes.

He will never be a Parker-level finisher, but if he can become decently above average at it his whole offensive game will unlock. That's the time to pivot to shooting like Parker did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Wesley is playing right now the way CoJo was during that last le, and in the year after. Taking care of the ball, running the plays, and picking his spots on offense. And I think he might even have an edge since he’s got the speed that CoJo didn't. He just needs to keep working on his game.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty impressed with Blake especially on defense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad Chip is gone, Wesley needs the teardrop floater game.
    Yeah, no chance he/some other developmental coach could possibly figure that out without the genius Engelland.

It's amazing that White, Murray and Walker IV learned how to shoot five minutes after they left here despite no longer having his magic pixie dust sprinkled on them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    might get his chance...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have a shooting coach.

His name is Robert Paulson.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How bout him laying out embiid last night

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man people need to adjust their expectations to how stacked with talent the modern NBA is, especially at guard. Wesley is closer to playing cornerback for the Cowboys than he is to being a rotation piece on a team that wants to win NBA games. The speed and full court meme defense are neat but the dude can't even throw an inbound pass to the guy with the biggest catch box in the league, much less shoot a basketball.

He and Branham are both total whiffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some really impressive moments from him. the change of direction against maxey (and Ja, who scored anyway), is pretty nasty

Thread Information