Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i would rather just give monk the reigns tbh, though i know thats not the PG archetype you are a fan of for this club. im not sure its perfect either, but again, im just looking at the FA pool
    It's more that I see him as very similar to Vassell. Like he doesn't have Devin's upside as a one-on-one creator, but in terms of being the off-guard firecracker, he's much more actualized. If we're talking about getting a PG who can do similar things to Monk, why not Dinwiddie? Spencer is a little kooky, but he's also a dynamic offensive guard who has size, can penetrate and can create his own shot. I don't consider him the main culture centerpiece but he seems attainable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jrue Holiday is totally out of question, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You trying to barf at Oubre suggests more than you haven't been paying attention. He's been a good third scorer this year.

Anyways, who would you pick? I'm not saying it to be snide. I'm legit asking what a good off-season would look like. And I mean that from a positive point of view. So like, "get these guys" not "don't get these guys". What should the Spurs hope to accomplish in year two of the Wemby era, and how do they get there from a personnel perspective?
    This question wasn't to me, but I'll answer it anyway... of course I have to make some assumptions along the way.

1. You probably have to do this deal now, and not in the summer, but if I could get DJM back for the CHI pick + the '27 Spurs FRP, I'm doing that deal. I understand, and agree, that you don't want to overly sacrifice your own draft position in the second half of the season, and I'm going to make the assumption that Pop can successfully deploy "record management" to close it out.
    2. I'm drafting some combination of wing and PG with our pick and the (hopefully conveying) TOR pick. I'm going to just use the outcome of the first mock draft I run on Tankathon, and the result is Sheppard at #5 and Cody Williams at #8. (Note: Dillingham went at #12 in this Mock, but Williams was the best SF on the board at 8, with Salaun going next at #13. Holland went 6 and Matas at 7. Sarr, Risacher, Walter, Topic went 1-4).
    3. I'm going to make a run at Gordon Hayward on something like a 2/20 deal to close out his career.
    4. I'm going to reach out to someone like Patty and see if he'll assume the Devonte Graham towel-waver role.
    5. I'm going to see if I can't get Cedi and Doug back on vet minimum deals.

Your 2024 San Antonio Spurs:

PG: Murray/Sheppard/Tre
    SG: Vassell/Branham/Champ
    SF: Hayward/Keldon/Cody Williams
    PF: Sochan/Cedi/Doug
    C: Wemby/Collins/Bassey

I'm also going to try to see if I can't package some combo of Keldon/Bran/Wesley/Champ/Barlow (or Bassey if you prefer Dom) to get some increased PF or SG depth. Ideally by the second half of the season, you've see enough from Williams to promote him to starting SF and Hayward moves to the bench.

I could definitely be overstating things, but to me this looks like a team who is somewhere between the 7-10 seed and has injected high-potential youth into a situation that doesn't ask too much of them, and still has more draft talent incoming.

Edit: I'd even seriously consider bringing Lonnie back to backup Devin.
    Last edited by scott; 01-16-2024 at 09:45 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On The Topic Of Timeline— An Unrealistic Player Like Wemby Who Nobody Saw Coming Five Years Ago Calls For Unrealistic Measures. People Look To The Past For Models On How To Build A Championship Team But I Think Because Of What We Have In Wemby, An Otherworldly Player, That They Should Really Try To Aim Big And Make Championship Runs As Early As Possible. I Was More On The Middle Of The Spectrum Of How Fast They Should Try To Build A Championship Team Just Yesterday, But Today I’m Thinking It, That They Should Try To Help Wemby Win More Rings Than Bill Russell. That’s Just How Special He is. Start It At The First Opportunity That They Can Find Their Second Star And Let’s Start Winning Big.
    I'm not sure I'm totally here yet, but I wouldn't hate it ONLY because the Spurs have enough assets for a big splash (Trae for example) without mortgaging the future. This is the flexibility Brian Wright has preached that you reminded us of this week, Dejounte.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two guys I like purely for inexpensive depth next year are Delon Wright and Alec Burks. Both are unrestricted FAs, neither will be overly expensive, both have good size, defensive capabilities, 3pt shooting, and experience as secondary ballhandlers. Neither would be a splashy move, but both could shore up a young inexperienced team as glue guy type vets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's more that I see him as very similar to Vassell. Like he doesn't have Devin's upside as a one-on-one creator, but in terms of being the off-guard firecracker, he's much more actualized. If we're talking about getting a PG who can do similar things to Monk, why not Dinwiddie? Spencer is a little kooky, but he's also a dynamic offensive guard who has size, can penetrate and can create his own shot. I don't consider him the main culture centerpiece but he seems attainable.
    we could do worse than dinwiddie. monk just really seems to be ascending. hes about to turn 26 and can get better. dinwiddie will turn 31 this season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another guy I'm keeping an eye on is Goga Bitadze, who's having something of an under-the-radar breakout year in Orlando. He'll also be an UFA. He surprisingly has the same VORP as Wagner and Banchero, and better BPM, WS, & +/- #s than them. If he can provide 15 mpg as a back up center, and possible 5-10 mpg as a center with Wemby at PF, an affordable offer might be a nice bargain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another guy I'm keeping an eye on is Goga Bitadze, who's having something of an under-the-radar breakout year in Orlando. He'll also be an UFA. He surprisingly has the same VORP as Wagner and Banchero, and better BPM, WS, & +/- #s than them. If he can provide 15 mpg as a back up center, and possible 5-10 mpg as a center with Wemby at PF, an affordable offer might be a nice bargain.
    We don't need to spend resources in the center position, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That makes sense to me if we move Collins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If DeAaron Fox Ever Becomes Available, I Think He’d Be The Perfect Fit To Put Next To Wemby Tbh.

He’s Probably Never Going To Be Available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Ja and Wemby would be perfect. He's an absolutely oppressive scorer. Fox is also great, but yeah is probably not going to be available for a while. Morant has more of a chance to be traded, but the sequences of events that would lead to that would make him a really risky target for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That makes sense to me if we move Collins.
    who are we paying to take collins off us?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If DeAaron Fox Ever Becomes Available, I Think He’d Be The Perfect Fit To Put Next To Wemby Tbh.

He’s Probably Never Going To Be Available.
    Yeah especially since they bet the house on him over Halliburton. I do like Fox tho.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who are we paying to take collins off us?
    It's hard to say, but hopefully it's in a deal as salary balast to go after a player we want instead of just paying picks to move him for space. I think there will be a market there.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Ja and Wemby would be perfect. He's an absolutely oppressive scorer. Fox is also great, but yeah is probably not going to be available for a while. Morant has more of a chance to be traded, but the sequences of events that would lead to that would make him a really risky target for the Spurs.
    Offcourt Ja would not be the best influence on Wembanyama.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Offcourt Ja would not be the best influence on Wembanyama.
    I'm not worried about that. Wemby's not an idiot. But I am more worried about Ja getting himself suspended or falling into further mental disarray and becoming unavailable while hurting the team culture as a result.

Thread Information