Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to mention that Iverson/Mutombo won ZERO rings.
    yup, cos AI had litterally no help. Brought the Sixers in the Finals by himself. Let's hope spurs give Wemby more help than a defensive stiff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That roster regressed around trae. John Collins went from a low level star player ala Dejounte right now, to get shipped off for practically nothing.
    If you think Trae is the reason they're not good, I don't know what to tell you, lol.
    Hum...

hint: (real) stars are precisely supposed to make people around them better, not regress.

You litterally proved my point and exposed Trae's problem.
    Last edited by JPB; 02-05-2024 at 11:04 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally, I wouldn’t swing a trade for Trae if it meant giving up the farm for him. Would I sign him? Yes. Would I trade for him if I don’t have to send ALL the draft assets? Yes. I don’t necessarily want/dislike him on the team, but I’m at least open to it. For sure having Trae would mean Wemby’s gonna get a lot of lobs, setups and Vassel slides down to 3rd banana which isn’t a bad thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a big risk for sure. On the one hand, Trae's talent is undeniable and he can drive good offense. His defense has even gotten better this year and he would definitely be the best teammate Wemby has played with by far.

On the other hand, we know from history that superstar trades don't always work out the way we think. Especially established ball dominant guys who either have to fit into an entirely new system or have a lot of players fit to them. The Luka-Porzingis example is a really good one just because of the similarities in playstyle between Trae and Luka as well as the similarities between Wemby and Porzingis. For those more familiar with the mavs, do we know why that never worked out? Other example is Dame on the Bucks. Losing Holiday was big for the Bucks, but I don't think Dame has been anywhere near what they hoped either both from an offensive and defensive standpoint.
    That's where egos and personalities may factor in... What's the story if Manu never really accepted to be a sixth man...? Harden didn't for OKC and HOU had to trade him, so he can get his own team... And that's also why I'm not on the Trae train.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae Young's career playoff stats:

27 games (12-15 record)
    40.2% FG%
    29.7% 3pt%

People really need to stop thinking that Trae is a "Steph Curry type" of player. Steph is the greatest 3 pt shooter in NBA history, and Young's career 3pt% is below 36%. In seven seasons, Trae has never been close to hitting 40% from 3. Steph has eclipsed 40% from 3 thirteen times. The further a Trae-led team goes in the playoffs, the more his very average shooting percentages will be a disadvantage as a (or the) focal point of the offense. Trae is a gunner who isn't ever afraid to shoot, but he's just not anywhere near Steph's stratosphere.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's honestly hillarious how people in here try to spin narratives in most ridiculous ways.

First off, stop comparing players with Steph, he's an anomaly.
    Noone is saying that Trae doesn't have glaring flaws in his game, but that's the entire point.
    If he was an MVP level player, there would be no way to get him.
    All of his flaws (except size) are easily fixable with proper coaching. If Pop is up for it, that is.

The truth is always in the middle, but most basketball fans don't know anything between 0 and 100. Players either get hated or overrated.
    If the cost is just giving Hawks their picks back, then it's a no-brainer trade.
    If Hawks are asking for like 5 picks, then it's not happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same people hating on Trae were the ones saying how great Sochan would be at point guard. The moment Trae Young is in a Spurs uniform, everyone here will defend him and talk him up.

Tbh I'm not a fan of Young. But it's not the worst fit. We trade for Trae, he can shoot, run the pick n roll, and get to the lane. That's what we need from our point guard. Also in the draft, we would surround Wemby with shooters because that seems to be the logical way to build around him. So Trae Young wouldn't be the end all be all, but if we can get a Risacher with him in the draft then our team has legitimate shooters in Vassell, Trae, and Risacher. If Sochan shoots 3,000 corner 3s in the offseason, then that would be enough going forward I believe to make the playoffs and maybe even the second round if we don't face Luka or the Clippers, or Nuggets (teams with superstars that are just abnormally strong).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Trae is someone you build around, not sure why would the Hawks be OK to trade him...

Giannis & Dame or Luka & Irving are'nt really impressive partially because that's one thing to be the king of your team, the go to guy everything is build and turn around, on and off the floor... That's something else to have to deal with another alpha and accept to lose a bit of your importance, power and glory when you"ve been used to be THE guy since you"re a teen. You have to reconsider everything BB wise but also psychologically and take into consideration elements you didn't have to before... And it's easier for some than others.

Same people hating on Trae were the ones saying how great Sochan would be at point guard. The moment Trae Young is in a Spurs uniform, everyone here will defend him and talk him up.

Tbh I'm not a fan of Young. But it's not the worst fit. We trade for Trae, he can shoot, run the pick n roll, and get to the lane. That's what we need from our point guard. Also in the draft, we would surround Wemby with shooters because that seems to be the logical way to build around him. So Trae Young wouldn't be the end all be all, but if we can get a Risacher with him in the draft then our team has legitimate shooters in Vassell, Trae, and Risacher. If Sochan shoots 3,000 corner 3s in the offseason, then that would be enough going forward I believe to make the playoffs and maybe even the second round if we don't face Luka or the Clippers, or Nuggets (teams with superstars that are just abnormally strong).
    Nope, hated Sochan at PG from day 1 and called what was gonna happen (didn't have to be a genius)... I just don't like Trae, the player and the man. He's that Harden type of cancer who will ask to be traded. I believe things would deteriorate quickly, which is pointless since I really don't beleive spurs would be interested...

And are we really gonna ignore that?

27 games (12-15 record)
    40.2% FG%
    29.7% 3pt%

(with an atrocious defense)

Trae built his hype on being the next Curry but he's not even a poor's man Steph when it really matters... Unplayable in the POs basically.
    Last edited by JPB; 02-05-2024 at 02:32 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Trae is someone you build around
    No, Wemby is the one we're building around.
    And what Wemby needs the most is an elite point guard.
    Trae is one of the better playmakers in the league and more importantly one of the best lob passers.

not sure why would the Hawks be OK to trade him...
    Because he's not good enough to be the first option.
    However, he's good enough to be the main playmaker and the second option.
    Way better players got traded because teams couldn't build around them, does that make them bad?
    As I said, always with 0 to 100 takes, nothing inbetween.

Giannis & Dame or Luka & Irving aren't really impressive
    Giannis and Dame barely had half a season together, with bad coaching. Coaching just got worse, but that's besides the point.
    Dame is 33 and past his peak. Their 3rd-6th man is also the worst out of any contender. Roster past it's peak.

Idk how can you put Luka and Kyrie into this discussion. Two ball-dominant guards.

partially because that's one thing to be the king of your team, the go to guy everything is build and turn around, on and off the floor... That's something else to have to deal with another alpha and accept to lose a bit of your importance, power and glory when you"ve been used to be THE guy since you"re a teen. You have to reconsider everything BB wise but also psychologically and take into consideration elements you didn't have to before... And it's easier for some than others.
    This is just whataboutism, as if it's Stephen A talking to generate clicks when there's nothing to talk about.
    Unless you've got some actual inside info on players.

You have to realize that Spurs effectively traded away DJ to luck into Wemby and can get a point guard upgrade for the same cost.
    It's just two picks and a swap.
    The East is horrible and Hawks won't tank as long as Trae is there. Then the question presents itself if Trae is worth two late lottery picks and one swap that wouldn't even be that high of a jump?
    I personally think he is.

Not to mention that we'd almost certainly be able to get rid of Zach's contract in the process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you don't like whataboutisms, you should appreciate that better then. Unplayable on a contender in the POs:

27 games (12-15 record)
    40.2% FG%
    29.7% 3pt%
    And his defense ratings good worse and worse on career in the POs:
    114.5 (2021) 116.8 (2022) 121.4 (2023)

+/- in Play offs: -7 (2021), -58 (2022), -37 (2023)
    Last edited by JPB; 02-05-2024 at 02:45 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you don't like whataboutisms, you should appreciate that better then. Uplayable on a contender in the POs.
    Nice cherry picking out of context, just what I was waiting for.

First round against, Knicks, won in 5: 29/10 with just 3 turnovers on 44/34/92

Second round, Sixers, won in 7: 29/11 with 3.6 turnovers on 39/32/85

Conference finals, Bucks, played three games and got injured, wasn't healthy for G6: 32/6 on 48/31/81

This is the series that was really bad, Heat destroyed them, he averaged just 15/6 on horrible 31/18/78
    Both Capela and Bogdanovic were not healthy, Collins finger was already ed up and it was all on Trae.
    Still a horrible series, but they had no business being in that one.

Lost in 6 against Boston: 29/10 on 40/33/86, 4 turnovers.
    After a slow start in first two games, averaged 34/12 on 42/36/93 in final four games.
    Including a 38/13 G5 in Boston to extend the series.

For example last year SGA had 5/19 against Timberwolves in play-in, just 3 assists.
    Is anyone doubting him?

Trae's number are more or less comparable with Morant's and he had a way better supporting cast.
    Noone's doubting him when it comes to basketball, just off the court antics.

Mitc averaged 23/7 with 4 turnovers on 43/28/72 against the Knicks last year, yet some people are trying to push him into MVP discussion.

There hasn't been one small guard good enough to lead a championship team ever since Jerry West up until Steph showed up.
    And it doesn't seem like that will change.
    But plenty of them excelled as second options.
    Why did I list all these stats? To show you that small guards as first option in the modern NBA aren't efficent when they have to be volume scorers.

You're picking on a guy who's best teammate on offense was Bogdan Bogdanovic.
    Noone else on that Hawks team was capable of creating his own shot.

There's a huge difference between Capela and Wemby as his potential PNR partners.
    You take the lob away and Capela is useless, can even foul him because he's a FT shooter.

Maybe I'm wrong and you're right, but I'm at least trying to look at potential Trae trade objectively and I'm trying to compare him to similar players, while your take is just whataboutism and nonsense like checking his percentages when he was severely overmatched.

Kid showed up when it mattered the most in NY, Phily and Boston. He's got the right mentality.
    I'd rather have that than some efficent nice guy who goes missing in the playoffs.

Rant over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae is not Steph. Steph is a #1 option on a championship team. We don‘t need Trae to be that, we need him to be a 2nd option

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's honestly hillarious how people in here try to spin narratives in most ridiculous ways.

First off, stop comparing players with Steph, he's an anomaly.
    Noone is saying that Trae doesn't have glaring flaws in his game, but that's the entire point.
    If he was an MVP level player, there would be no way to get him.
    All of his flaws (except size) are easily fixable with proper coaching. If Pop is up for it, that is.

The truth is always in the middle, but most basketball fans don't know anything between 0 and 100. Players either get hated or overrated.
    If the cost is just giving Hawks their picks back, then it's a no-brainer trade.
    If Hawks are asking for like 5 picks, then it's not happening.
    the problem is that he is getting MVP salary. He’ll make 43 millions next year with a 15% trade kicker so 49 millions. Do you want to pay that much for him even if the Hawks ask for just their picks back?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the problem is that he is getting MVP salary. He’ll make 43 millions next year with a 15% trade kicker so 49 millions. Do you want to pay that much for him even if the Hawks ask for just their picks back?
    I didn't know he had a trade kicker.
    But if he wants to join, trade kicker can be waived.
    AD waived his when he joined the Lakers.

The cap is rising and unfortunately 40 a year will be the going rate for solid all-stars.
    Devin will be getting 29 next season.

I'd rather have Trae for 43 than Devin for 29.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regardless of how you feel about Trae the spurs can't afford to be picky when it comes to bringing in a star to play with Victor...because you might not hear their name mentioned again when it comes to a star player and trades. If it's really possible to trade for Trae then the Spurs might have to do it for no other reason than it might not present itself again. If you doubled all of Trae's flaws he would still easily be the second best player on this dumpster fire of a team. him being here would keep Branhim and Wesley off the floor which is addition by subtraction.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade kicker in practice wouldn't matter here if I remember things correctly. The kicker can't make his salary exceed the max, and he's making the same as Luka, 43 for next year..which is more oe less 30% of the previously expected cap jump. He's already on a supermax because he made all-nba third team last year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regardless of how you feel about Trae the spurs can't afford to be picky when it comes to bringing in a star to play with Victor...because you might not hear their name mentioned again when it comes to a star player and trades. If it's really possible to trade for Trae then the Spurs might have to do it for no other reason than it might not present itself again. If you doubled all of Trae's flaws he would still easily be the second best player on this dumpster fire of a team. him being here would keep Branhim and Wesley off the floor which is addition by subtraction.
    Yep. No player is ever good enough for the Spurs according to this board. If we just want to wait for us to draft the perfect teammate for Wemby, we might be waiting forever. Any player who is possibly obtainable is going to have flaws that can be picked apart to death.

One thing Trae gets picked on is how his team has done nothing but go backwards since their ECF appearance… but you could say the exact same thing about Luka and Dallas.

It cracks me that whenever stars get talked about even just as unlikely rumors, they suddenly become some of the worst players in the league in eyes of folks on this board.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Direct link in the event the embedded tweet doesn’t come through: https://x.com/NBAPR/status/1754603317806743768?s=20

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. No player is ever good enough for the Spurs according to this board. If we just want to wait for us to draft the perfect teammate for Wemby, we might be waiting forever. Any player who is possibly obtainable is going to have flaws that can be picked apart to death.

One thing Trae gets picked on is how his team has done nothing but go backwards since their ECF appearance… but you could say the exact same thing about Luka and Dallas.

It cracks me that whenever stars get talked about even just as unlikely rumors, they suddenly become some of the worst players in the league in eyes of folks on this board.
    So you would trade five 1st picks for him? Let’s say all the Hawks picks and the Spurs 25 and 26 FRP?

for me, if he waives his trade kicker, the Hawks accept their 26 swap and 27 plus the worst of the Spurs-Hawks 2025 plus they take Collins contract, yes I’d do it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you would trade five 1st picks for him? Let’s say all the Hawks picks and the Spurs 25 and 26 FRP?

for me, if he waives his trade kicker, the Hawks accept their 26 swap and 27 plus the worst of the Spurs-Hawks 2025 plus they take Collins contract, yes I’d do it.
    I'd offer all three of their picks back plus the Hornets pick but they have to take back Zollins. Even with taking back Zollins they would still shed 25M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is an underrated passer tbh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd offer all three of their picks back plus the Hornets pick but they have to take back Zollins. Even with taking back Zollins they would still shed 25M.
    I'd offer their three picks and Keldon+Zach.
    I'm more or less over Keldon.
    He's useless on defense and doesn't see anything other than the rim on offense.

Slightly off topic, but I'd trade Keldon at the first opportunity of getting solid value back before teams realize he's useless for serious basketball.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd offer their three picks and Keldon+Zach.
    I'm more or less over Keldon.
    He's useless on defense and doesn't see anything other than the rim on offense.

Slightly off topic, but I'd trade Keldon at the first opportunity of getting solid value back before teams realize he's useless for serious basketball.
    I feel the same way about Keldon. Shedding Zollin's and Keldon would almost cancel out Trea contract for the next two seasons. Spurs would have plenty of room to add another star or keep renting out cap space for more draft assets

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be open to all the Hawks picks plus more

If it's this deadline, and they demanded to shed more salary, I'd even be open to taking on DeAndre Hunter who is having mystery problems with his knees

But keeping it simple for this season,

McDermott
    Jones
    Graham
    Atlanta picks 25, 26 swap, 27
    Charlotte pick
    San Antonio 24 top 4 protected this year, unprotected 25

For Young and Garrison Matthews. They might have to cut Wesley Matthews for roster space to make it work

Saves them $7 million this year

Maybe I'd put Keldon in the deal in place of McDermott but then I'd want something smaller back like AJ Griffen

With Young the rest of the season Spurs probably win quite a few more games in the last 30 or so of the season, their lottery pick might be 8-12 so giving it up wouldn't be that bad a loss. Maybe instead of 24 just giving up 25 unprotected in a stronger draft would be the way to do it

Thread Information